Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU's new mascot?

Started by Dirttrackhog, June 01, 2017, 10:10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirttrackhog

A petition has been started to get rid of the "racist" mascot.  Statues are down, mascot to follow?

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9246

LRHawg

Congrats to the SJWs for making me defend LSU. Well played  :puke:

MultipleScoreGasms

Steef

Wonder how many people today look at that tiger and think, "Gotta get me some slaves"...?

GoHogzzGo

Ok, a Colonel of the Rebel army I get. But a tiger? Lol. Goodness sakes. I hope there wasn't a unit nicknamed the hogs/razorbacks. Sheesh.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

jgphillips3

LSU just needs to launch an equally absurd competing story showing the name was given to the regiment by illegal Muslim immigrants and it will all go away.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Even as a black guy I don't understand this one  ???
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jry04

How is it hard being a black student at LSU? While 12% of the LSU student body is African American, 54% of the Baton Rouge population is African American. Much of your college experience isn't just the time spent on campus, but around the community. It isn't like she is living in a white town full of racists.

gchamblee

I drove down to New Orleans a few weeks ago and spent a week. I noticed when I left Mississippi and entered Louisiana, that attitudes changed. The farther south I got, the less I sensed racism. It just got very relaxed and there wasn't black/white, it just felt like people enjoying people. When I would go into a store to pick up cigs or pay for gas everyone was just really friendly. Nobody stared, there wasn't any underlying distrust and it was so noticeably different. I saw a cigar bar on Canal Street that had couches, large screen televisions and a couple of bar areas to get drinks. They were playing some NBA games, I think the playoffs, and it was exclusively black patrons sitting in there relaxing, drinking and watching the game. I went in, bought a cigar and a makers, plopped down on the couch beside a few and joked that I had no idea how to properly prep and light a cigar but wanted to enjoy one while having a drink. It was as if we had all known each other for years. They laughed, helped, included me in all of the conversation, took an interest in where I was from.... I walked out of that bar wishing I could go home to the same people.

I know racism is an issue in this country and there is plenty of blame for all races, but we have to stop indulging people that live for it. The ones that look for it everywhere and manufacture it if it doesn't exist. How many of you knew the origins of LSU's mascot before reading this thread? I didn't, and I certainly would have been happy the rest of my life just seeing their mascot as a tiger and nothing else. This type of attention doesn't shine a light on racism, it manufactures it and creates anger that didn't exist before.

I have racism fatigue. I am having a hard time giving a crap about it anymore because it seems like most of the time it is blown out of proportion and embellished to the point that it serves as an injustice to those who really are suffering the effects of racism. If LSU changes their mascot or makes any move to appease this fake outrage, I will be pissed. One can appreciate/honor their culture without agreeing with every position their culture took in history.

Just my humble opinion.

PorkRinds

LSU isn't changing their mascot based on the votes of 384 people.  But I did add one vote to the total just to help make a little more chaos in Louisiana.

goodguytex

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 08:24:34 am
I drove down to New Orleans a few weeks ago and spent a week. I noticed when I left Mississippi and entered Louisiana, that attitudes changed. The farther south I got, the less I sensed racism. It just got very relaxed and there wasn't black/white, it just felt like people enjoying people. When I would go into a store to pick up cigs or pay for gas everyone was just really friendly. Nobody stared, there wasn't any underlying distrust and it was so noticeably different. I saw a cigar bar on Canal Street that had couches, large screen televisions and a couple of bar areas to get drinks. They were playing some NBA games, I think the playoffs, and it was exclusively black patrons sitting in there relaxing, drinking and watching the game. I went in, bought a cigar and a makers, plopped down on the couch beside a few and joked that I had no idea how to properly prep and light a cigar but wanted to enjoy one while having a drink. It was as if we had all known each other for years. They laughed, helped, included me in all of the conversation, took an interest in where I was from.... I walked out of that bar wishing I could go home to the same people.

I know racism is an issue in this country and there is plenty of blame for all races, but we have to stop indulging people that live for it. The ones that look for it everywhere and manufacture it if it doesn't exist. How many of you knew the origins of LSU's mascot before reading this thread? I didn't, and I certainly would have been happy the rest of my life just seeing their mascot as a tiger and nothing else. This type of attention doesn't shine a light on racism, it manufactures it and creates anger that didn't exist before.

I have racism fatigue. I am having a hard time giving a crap about it anymore because it seems like most of the time it is blown out of proportion and embellished to the point that it serves as an injustice to those who really are suffering the effects of racism. If LSU changes their mascot or makes any move to appease this fake outrage, I will be pissed. One can appreciate/honor their culture without agreeing with every position their culture took in history.

Just my humble opinion.
Someone I used to work for told me one time, you dig enough you can find dirt on anything and anyone. I'd much rather dig for gold than dirt.

When you go trying to turn over every rock, look at every shadow for something bad you're liable to find it. Better to try to look for good, handle bad when it comes. There's enough bad out there. It's just not necessary to try to look for it everywhere.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 02, 2017, 08:47:03 am
LSU isn't changing their mascot based on the votes of 384 people.  But I did add one vote to the total just to help make a little more chaos in Louisiana.
Well yeah, it would be ridiculously funny to see them have to change their mascot over this.

PorkRinds

Quote from: goodguytex on June 02, 2017, 08:48:14 am
Well yeah, it would be ridiculously funny to see them have to change their mascot over this.

I'm thinking that whole power of hogville thing could be put to good use here....

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: goodguytex on June 02, 2017, 08:48:14 am
Quote from: PorkRinds on June 02, 2017, 08:51:14 am
I'm thinking that whole power of hogville thing could be put to good use here....

Surely you aren't suggesting that we help perpetuate the problem ;).  BTW, it's up to 560 votes now.

Birminghog

This is an appalling revelation. We must support this effort. I think that all African-American athletes at LSU, in protest, should transfer to universities with documented non-racist mascots - Arkansas, for example.  ;)

NuttinItUp

The "updates" section of the petition page is the funniest part.

PearlHarbor

Just my humble opinion.

Cool Story Bro.

goodguytex

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on June 02, 2017, 09:23:38 am
Surely you aren't suggesting that we help perpetuate the problem ;).  BTW, it's up to 560 votes now.
Of course not!! I'd never ever want to do anything to make them corndog eating, bug eating swamp rats look bad. No.... Not me... Never!!  ;D 8)

goodguytex

Quote from: Birminghog on June 02, 2017, 10:41:39 am
This is an appalling revelation. We must support this effort. I think that all African-American athletes at LSU, in protest, should transfer to universities with documented non-racist mascots - Arkansas, for example.  ;)
Yes, immediately they should do this! Especially defensive players!

Birminghog

Oh, yeah. And every African-American athlete in Louisiana should be so offended that none of them should ever go to LSU again. In fact, in solidarity, all Louisiana athletes should boycott attending LSU.

Fight the power.

gchamblee

phadedhawg

Their mascot is the only redeeming thing about that university.  Love that tiger, very handsome, proud, and fierce looking. 

Ex-Trumpet

It's about time for Americans to take the country back from the VERY FEW crybaby pvssies.  Eff 'em all.

And bring back the violent Bugs Bunny cartoons while we're at it.  Enough of this PC BS.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on June 01, 2017, 10:10:37 pm
A petition has been started to get rid of the "racist" mascot.  Statues are down, mascot to follow?

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9246
Well no doubt the next thing we'll see is the entire animal kingdom protesting and saying that tigers not only need to change their stripes but their name as well. Talk about the absolute height of lunacy/idiocy. I can well imagine if one looked behind the scenes you'd very likely see Michael Moore's name at the top of the list of this moronic move.

bennyl08

Bayou Bengals.

Problem solved.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 02, 2017, 11:45:19 am
Well no doubt the next thing we'll see is the entire animal kingdom protesting and saying that tigers not only need to change their stripes but their name as well. Talk about the absolute height of lunacy/idiocy. I can well imagine if one looked behind the scenes you'd very likely see Michael Moore's name at the top of the list of this moronic move.

I understand that the International Association for the Protection of all Tiger Species has filed suit against Eldrick Woods for the use of the name "Tiger" and are demanding reparations in the amount of 10% of all of his earnings since he began using that name. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

widespreadsooie

Quote from: PearlHarbor on June 02, 2017, 11:09:05 am
Cool Story Bro.

Actually, his post is hands down the best in this thread.

BigE_23

I'm wondering if this is just as much as problem for the Tigers of Grambling University?? Located in Louisiana btw.

sickboy

It's a shame this student is doing this. Because there are real instances out there of racially dividing symbols in our society that should be discussed when it comes to these conversations. Redskins being one of them. However, the LSU Tiger doesn't stir those emotions unless someone takes the time to look it up in some buried tome. In fact, she's actually turning the symbol into a racial topic by even doing this. So, in a weird way, she's perpetuating the very symbol she's fighting against. And I'd even go as far as saying that her comment about white people getting pleasure from animals in cages is treading into racist territory herself.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 02, 2017, 01:00:20 pm
I'm wondering if this is just as much as problem for the Tigers of Grambling University?? Located in Louisiana btw.

Excellent catch!!!

hobhog

goodguytex

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2017, 11:52:22 am
I understand that the International Association for the Protection of all Tiger Species has filed suit against Eldrick Woods for the use of the name "Tiger" and are demanding reparations in the amount of 10% of all of his earnings since he began using that name. ;)
LOL!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Just my humble opinion.

I know west central Louisiana might as well be east Texas ala Jasper.

My wife and I get funny looks all the time. I even told one gawker that Louisiana invented interracial relationships in the south.

;)
This is my non-signature signature.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on June 02, 2017, 07:38:47 am
Ok, a Colonel of the Rebel army I get. But a tiger? Lol. Goodness sakes. I hope there wasn't a unit nicknamed the hogs/razorbacks. Sheesh.
not to my knowledge, however "hogs, pigs, etc." are very offensive to Muslims and I am surprised their hasn't been a complaint from them as such.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

sickboy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 02, 2017, 02:13:05 pm
not to my knowledge, however "hogs, pigs, etc." are very offensive to Muslims and I am surprised their hasn't been a complaint from them as such.......

Pigs aren't offensive to muslims.

redleg

How about the LSU Katrinas?  :razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

sickboy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 02, 2017, 02:40:28 pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-170373/School-bans-pig-books-avoid-offending-Muslims.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/01/24/three-pigs-story-judged-offensive-to-muslims.html

Thanks. That proves it. A dailymail and fox news story about lit-freaks in the UK sums up an entire religion's feelings about the symbolism of one animal.

Jews and muslims don't eat pork. That doesn't mean they get offended at the sight of a pig. I have two muslim friends who are Hog fans and watch games with me. The razorback mascot has yet to be a topic of conversation amongst us.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sickboy on June 02, 2017, 01:19:06 pm
It's a shame this student is doing this. Because there are real instances out there of racially dividing symbols in our society that should be discussed when it comes to these conversations. Redskins being one of them. However, the LSU Tiger doesn't stir those emotions unless someone takes the time to look it up in some buried tome. In fact, she's actually turning the symbol into a racial topic by even doing this. So, in a weird way, she's perpetuating the very symbol she's fighting against. And I'd even go as far as saying that her comment about white people getting pleasure from animals in cages is treading into racist territory herself.
If indeed this is an LSU student I honestly have to wonder how the heck she apparently has so much time on her hands to dig into this asinine jewel. I mean if one really has that much time on their hands to look around and come up with something like this crapola I wonder what useful and life-altering invention she might actually come up with if spending time doing something productive.

To me it's somewhat analogous to the old "You owe me......" I've heard from time-to-time in the past. My response: "I owe you NOTHING concerning what might have occurred to someone in the past. However, what I DO owe you is the respect to which anyone is entitled". In other words, GET THE HELL OVER IT!!! Quit complaining about the past and whatever may or may not have been done to previous generations. Let's all learn from it, try to address any past issues going forward and get on with our lives. Quit using all this as an excuse to merely sit around and complain, bitch and moan.

Vantage 8 dude

I can see it now: A federal law suit initiated by the peace loving/hyper-sensitive Taliban and/or ISIS for offending their religious beliefs. As crazy and nutty as this world has become it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

bennyl08

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 02, 2017, 02:40:28 pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-170373/School-bans-pig-books-avoid-offending-Muslims.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/01/24/three-pigs-story-judged-offensive-to-muslims.html

Did you read the links, or do any follow up research? Muslims publicly said those books weren't offensive to them and it was another case of people being pro-actively over cautious. Just like the white people getting upset at FSU for having the seminoles as their mascot, but the Seminole Nation coming out and saying they approve of FSU's depiction and have an agreement with the university.

Saying pigs are offensive to muslims would be like saying books with dogs in them are offensive to americans because most people are appalled at the thought of eating them.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

majestic

No, they aren't offensive to Muslims. That is just stupid. They don't eat pork. Jews don't eat shellfish (or pork), but they don't freak out about a picture of a shrimp. Get real.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

LSU should start calling themselves the Houston Nutts because that is where their football program is headed.  They didn't hire Orgeron because he was the only, or even the best, coach they could get.  They hired him because he is a "players' coach" and "one of them".  They hired their own HDN.  They don't think so now, but they will realize it over the next few years once the rah rah and feeling that they are listening to a Justin Wilson CD wear off.

Inhogswetrust

June 02, 2017, 04:07:54 pm #43 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:59:44 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: EastexHawg on June 02, 2017, 04:01:39 pm
LSU should start calling themselves the Houston Nutts because that is where their football program is headed.  They didn't hire Orgeron because he was the only, or even the best, coach they could get.  They hired him because he is a "players' coach" and "one of them".  They hired their own HDN.  They don't think so now, but they will realize it over the next few years once the rah rah and feeling that they are listening to a Justin Wilson CD wear off.

If Orgeron can cook as good as Justin Wilson did then they might keep him around a long time.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sickboy

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 02, 2017, 04:01:39 pm

Honestly, I think even Nutt could win at LSU. Their recruiting bed is so deep and with Coach O being a closer recruiter, which is surprising because you can only understand every third word he says, they're probably going to continue to thrive.

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on June 02, 2017, 07:38:47 am

I have read that we were the Arkansas Cardinals, until a coach once described our efforts as "They played like a bunch of wild razorbacks" or something to that effect. We later changed our name to the Razorbacks.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: majestic on June 02, 2017, 03:46:31 pm
No, they aren't offensive to Muslims. That is just stupid. They don't eat pork. Jews don't eat shellfish (or pork), but they don't freak out about a picture of a shrimp. Get real.

Okay... they won't eat them or touch them (many very orthodox won't even look at them)... so you're probably right hogs and pigs (swine) are not offensive to muslims.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TDHawgs

They gonna change their name to LSU Corndogs?

sickboy

June 02, 2017, 05:30:11 pm #48 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:19:26 pm by sickboy
Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 02, 2017, 04:51:06 pm
Okay... they won't eat them or touch them (many very orthodox won't even look at them)... so you're probably right hogs and pigs (swine) are not offensive to muslims.....

I don't eat sour cream because I think it's gross, but I don't get my panties in a wad when I see a cream that has been soured.

Granted, I'm not Islamic, but Muslims (and Jews) don't eat pork because they, basically, think it's gross. I doubt there are very many orthodox muslims who are offended by the sight of pigs. Perhaps, fundamental extremist, but they're probably in some village in a third world country, not watching Razorback football. And they're going to have a rough time when they see pigs out and about, because they do exist in Muslim countries, though rare. If you touch them you have to basically do a cleansing to wipe the grossness away. It's like what you do after you find out the motel you stayed in had bed bugs.

There are also old Testament Christian communities around the world who don't eat pig either. I'm pretty sure Ethiopians, where Christianity is the dominant religion, don't keep or eat swine.

That's all I got from my Islamic studies class in college.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***