Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One and done rule change ideal.

Started by Cinco de Hogo, May 30, 2017, 05:21:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 07, 2017, 07:59:38 am
Again, wealth is already distributed this is just a situation most fan don't like and there are ways to fix it.  The NCAA addressed this with the APR but then left a loophole whereby a team could sign five one and done players that don't go to school but one semester.  That is not right in the world of "college" athletics.  What is wrong with fixing it so that theses players have to at least get the equivalent of a JUCO education?

You dont understand the APR rule... The APR is based on 2 semesters... Their grades in the spring semester count to the APR... They have to finish the spring semester or it kills the APR...
As far as the kids returning... I would think that anyone that doesn't get drafted has the option to return to school... I am for giving the kids every opportunity to do what is best for them...

As for college... 1, 2 or 3 years it doesnt matter... The application usually says do you have a college degree... And its usually looked upon negatively if an applicant starts college and does not finish because they are not showing the willingness to put in the work for the degree.

I thought the tournament was pretty exciting this year... What is hurting college basketball is the regular season does not mean anything anymore.  Its just like the NBA playoffs... Its all about the last 4 weeks of the season for the average viewer... Its 365 days for me.
SEC!

PonderinHog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 07, 2017, 11:40:01 am
I prefer the one-and-done over letting them go straight out of HS, however, I would prefer a two-and-done rule. If the NBA goes back to the eligible after HS rule and expands its farm system from the current D-league set-up, I think college basketball will shrivel up and fade into the abyss.
Two-and-through sounds like a decent compromise.

hogsanity

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 07, 2017, 01:42:36 pm

.. What is hurting college basketball is the regular season does not mean anything anymore.  Its just like the NBA playoffs... Its all about the last 4 weeks of the season for the average viewer...

Yep, from the end of the Super Bowl, til their bracket is busted is all most people pay attention to college bball anymore.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 06, 2017, 10:12:40 pm
They might go undrafted but there's other ways to earn money playing basketball besides the NBA. The one and done rule is not hurting the college game.

I respectfully and strongly disagree with your last sentence.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jm

Go from one and done to 2 years, earned associates degree, or 63ish hours of class time completed.
I don't understand the need to require "x" years if a guy has reached a a pre determined requirement in the class room. You don't graduate in 4 years; you graduate when you have completed the degree requirements. If you complete those in 2 years, you earn the degree. They don't hold you back for 2 more years because of some odd time schedule.
Athletes should work on the same principle. If they can complete a given set of requirements ( associates degree or equivalent) in 1 year, they earn the right to enter the draft. If not completed sooner, they should be draft eligable after the normal amount of time to reach those requirements or a given age (20).

Youngsta71701

June 08, 2017, 06:41:13 am #105 Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:15:42 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 30, 2017, 05:21:20 am
Option A, leave well enough alone.

Option B, expand to 15 scholarships but if you recruit and lose a one and done you lose that scholarship for three years.

Option C, leave scholarships at 13 but lose two years if a player leaves after one year.

This doesn't hender the players from exercising their right to free market, but it penalizes a team for stocking up on one and done players like Kentucky does.  It would force them to be distributed amongst more teams because no one team would want to have more than one or two at most because they would lose two many years of scholarships.

What ya think?
Either go to the NBA straight out of high school, play college ball for 3 years, or play overseas until the age of 20. Simple.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MountieDawg

How many of the Top 150 think they can be one and done???  To get to the Top 150 they have to be extremely confident in their skills...  I bet everyone of them think they may.  Sounds like everyone should be chasing 3 stars and players without the potential of becoming great.

Maybe football teams that when 10 games should lose 5 scholarships, 11 games 10 scholarships and National Champs be forced to play the following season without shoulder pads.  Alabama will not make it to the playoffs every year!!!

SEC!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on June 07, 2017, 03:05:46 pm
I respectfully and strongly disagree with your last sentence.

How are kids pursuing their careers hurting the college game? It's good for the college game because Simmons, Fultz, Ball, Monk, etc.. would be going straight to the NBA out of high school. I'm glad that level of talented played 4-5 months in college. The one and done kids have only enhanced the college game with their elite level talent.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 08, 2017, 06:41:13 am
Either go to the NBA straight our of high school, play college ball for 3 years, or play overseas until the age of 20. Simple.

Not fair!! Does that apply to international kids that have been playing pro ball as young as 15-16 years old.

WorfHog

Just so you guys know I'm for anything that directly hurts Kentucky. Eff that slimebag Cal. We're just a couple weeks away from having to watch his sweaty ass preen in front of the camera's at the NBA draft. Makes me sick.  :puke:

Make it Masters and done for all I care.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on June 06, 2017, 12:59:54 pm
baseball model works well for baseball because they have so many developmental teams. Each team has at least 1 short season rookie league, a, aa, aaa, plus they can go play winter ball in AZ or in the carib. leagues. Plus they have a separate system for foreign players to get drafted/signed by teams. This would not work for basketball.
Basketball has even more flexibility.  It likely did not work for baseball before they developed it.  It could be a great model for basketball
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 08, 2017, 01:17:15 pm
Not fair!! Does that apply to international kids that have been playing pro ball as young as 15-16 years old.
They have to play by the same rules as our kids. Plain & simple. The way it is now is not fair and clearly not working for the NCAA or the NBA. Players entering the NBA are not nearly as skilled as they were before the one and done rule. They may be more athletic but not more skilled.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 10, 2017, 10:45:27 am
They have to play by the same rules as our kids. Plain & simple. The way it is now is not fair and clearly not working for the NCAA or the NBA. Players entering the NBA are not nearly as skilled as they were before the one and done rule. They may be more athletic but not more skilled.

The skill set of these players is not a issue. These guys practice and play all year round.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 10, 2017, 10:53:50 am
The skill set of these players is not a issue. These guys practice and play all year round.
Just because they practice all year round doesn't make them skilled. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If your practicing the wrong things it doesn't help you any.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 10, 2017, 10:58:20 am
Just because they practice all year round doesn't make them skilled. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If your practicing the wrong things it doesn't help you any.

Coaching on the summer circuit is very good. These kids can play. They shouldn't be forced to attend college for 2-3 years before jumping to the NBA. The rule is working.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 08, 2017, 11:20:00 am
How many of the Top 150 think they can be one and done???  To get to the Top 150 they have to be extremely confident in their skills...  I bet everyone of them think they may.  Sounds like everyone should be chasing 3 stars and players without the potential of becoming great.

Maybe football teams that when 10 games should lose 5 scholarships, 11 games 10 scholarships and National Champs be forced to play the following season without shoulder pads.  Alabama will not make it to the playoffs every year!!!

They have this thing called apr which is supposed to measure commitment to the academic side of college athletics. Currently it doesn't include graduation rates which is a farce. A program that graduates less than half its players should be losing points in the. Apr system.

As it stands colleges that are graduating players have a higher risk of being punished for academic reasons than those who are lax in regard to graduating players.

Needs to be corrected or do away with apr all together.

hamsam

I say make the game illegal. Never allow another ball to be shot/passed/dribbled. The game, at every level, is NOT played as it was intended/invented...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 08, 2017, 01:17:15 pm

Euros are the only white guys who know how to play defense. But I'm with Letsroll and one and done is good for ratings and entertainment. I would just prefer it to be 2 and done.

hawgmasta

Lebron, KD, and K. Leonard.

Who would stop them from taking it to the rim or shooting.

Who could score on these guys that aren't from the USA?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on June 11, 2017, 10:30:12 am
Euros are the only white guys who know how to play defense. But I'm with Letsroll and one and done is good for ratings and entertainment. I would just prefer it to be 2 and done.

Actual ratings info says one and done era is one of the worst viewed eras of college basketball since the expansion of the tournament.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 13, 2017, 10:52:46 pm
Actual ratings info says one and done era is one of the worst viewed eras of college basketball since the expansion of the tournament.

Ratings are down because the college regular season does not matter, AND it is up against the end of college football, plus bowls and now the playoff, and then we roll right into the nfl playoffs. Most people do not think about college bball anymore until mid-late Feb. College basketball has become about the ncaat to all but the most ardent fans of a team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hog of steele

Has to be fixed from the NBA side but there is some leverage there. The NBA needs to change their rule to first round draft picks can come out of HS everybody else needs to go to college for 2-3 years.

The way you get the NBA to leverage it is allowing drafted players to come back to college if they don't like their draft spot. Unlike baseball, this would cause chaos the first time a highly drafted kid rejects the idea of playing ball in some terrible city. The NBA can't have that. To avoid it they might budge on the one year rule.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on June 14, 2017, 04:38:07 pm
Ratings are down because the college regular season does not matter, AND it is up against the end of college football, plus bowls and now the playoff, and then we roll right into the nfl playoffs. Most people do not think about college bball anymore until mid-late Feb. College basketball has become about the ncaat to all but the most ardent fans of a team.

What Shadowhawg said stands as the truth, most people view the one and done situation as a negative.   Interest in watching a college game or a NBA game has  dwindled to just the diehard fans of the teams on the court at the time.  There was a time basketball fans watched other teams and knew the names of players on a lot of teams.  I don't think there is very much of that anymore, at least not in any circle of people I know. 

That and some illadviced rule changes that pretty much took the ability to play defense away.  Now it's just a whistle blowing contest.

WorfHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 14, 2017, 07:15:50 pm
What Shadowhawg said stands as the truth, most people view the one and done situation as a negative.   Interest in watching a college game or a NBA game has  dwindled to just the diehard fans of the teams on the court at the time.  There was a time basketball fans watched other teams and knew the names of players on a lot of teams.  I don't think there is very much of that anymore, at least not in any circle of people I know. 

That and some illadviced rule changes that pretty much took the ability to play defense away.  Now it's just a whistle blowing contest.

How can you learn anyone's names with all the one and dones and transfers?

ShadowHawg

So much fail.

There has always been football and the minor bowl games are hardly big draws.

Regular season hasn't determined the champion over 50 years.

Then there's this fancee doohickey called a dvr that lets you record and watch things that are on at the same time.

There has been one real change and it's called one and done. It's not the early loss of NBA draftees that is hurting. It's the losses of BJ Young and Michael Qualls that are choking the game out.

It's that second tier where the kid is a very good college player but not a pro and leaves early that kills college teams. In the last 2 drafts there have been around 80 of these kids disappear total.

Look at your own school for crying out loud. If Qualls came back that team that was .500 is probable to win 20+ plus games and maybe sneak in the tournament. If they had, there would have been a lot of excitement around last season from the start. In college, pre season rankings drive interest.

Things are so crazy with the amount of turnover now that the only school's fans that can count on being in the chase preseason are those getting one and done type players every season. The rest of us have to wait until February to fully invest in our team.

Pro sorts fans are player oriented. College sports fans are team oriented. College fans require more stability as a result.

It's the kids leaving early that aren't elite that are breaking college fans hearts. Kentucky fans know their guys are leaving when they get them. Our fans sweat the off season terrified ours are leaving.

But you think minor bowl games are to blame? SMH

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 10, 2017, 10:35:32 pm
Coaching on the summer circuit is very good. These kids can play. They shouldn't be forced to attend college for 2-3 years before jumping to the NBA. The rule is working.
Like I said if they are good enough go pro straight out of high school then do it. If not, if you go to college you have to stay for at least 3 years or until the age of 20. Not hard.

Youngsta71701

Ratings are down in college basketball because the best players don't stay long enough for the fans to build a relationship with them or become a big fan of them. You know these players for one year then poof they're gone.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WorfHog on June 14, 2017, 08:45:43 pm
Exactly, hard to become a fan of the players anymore. Now it's all about the coaches. Hell and if they slip up a year or two they are gone also. No loyalty in sports anymore is the problem.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WorfHog on June 14, 2017, 08:45:43 pm

Exactly and when they get to the NBA you have no interest in watching them either, heck I've never even watched Joe Johnson and he stayed two years.  My hero's are the Moncrief's, Delph's and Brewer's, along with a slew of others who stayed at least three years.  Haven't watched a single NBA game Bobby Portia has played in, I just can't generate the interest and I will bet you very few Arkansas fans have either.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on June 07, 2017, 09:24:29 am
Who is going to mandate that scholarships are a two year agreement? The NBA has no power to do so, and the ncaa is not going to single out mens basketball when all other athletic scholarships are 1 year agreements.

And, imo, your post lost credibility when you singled out one school, proving what some of us are saying, the only reason many here care about the one and dones is because Ky is the one benefiting most from the rules.

What if a couple of the players MA has committed turn out to be one and dones, should the US be punished because they had guys leave after 1 year?

Singling out Kentucky doesn't make my statement invalid, it validates it.  How you may ask?  Why are there 85 football scholarships in division 1 football and 13 in basketball?  When I was a kid, there were 105 (then 95 after 78) and 15 respectively.

Why?  Two reasons, one was title 9 but the other was to stop elite schools from stockpiling players and induce parity.  So, if back then we wanted to stop the stockpiling...why isn't that a sensible thing to do now to stop schools who have found a way to break the spirit of both the limit of 13 scholarships and the myth of the student athlete all at the same time?

Also, you may be right that the NCAA won't make basketball an exception to the one year scholarship, but they could.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: WorfHog on June 09, 2017, 07:27:18 pm
Just so you guys know I'm for anything that directly hurts Kentucky. Eff that slimebag Cal. We're just a couple weeks away from having to watch his sweaty ass preen in front of the camera's at the NBA draft. Makes me sick.  :puke:

Make it Masters and done for all I care.

Once a fan puts it on emotion instead of reasoning. If the Perry kid from GA that we have committed in 2018 is a one year guy are you going to complain? I'm not

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Captain Morgan on June 15, 2017, 06:06:28 pm
Once a fan puts it on emotion instead of reasoning. If the Perry kid from GA that we have committed in 2018 is a one year guy are you going to complain? I'm not

I will the second year! LOL

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 11:38:00 am
Singling out Kentucky doesn't make my statement invalid, it validates it.  How you may ask?  Why are there 85 football scholarships in division 1 football and 13 in basketball?  When I was a kid, there were 105 (then 95 after 78) and 15 respectively.

Why?  Two reasons, one was title 9 but the other was to stop elite schools from stockpiling players and induce parity.  So, if back then we wanted to stop the stockpiling...why isn't that a sensible thing to do now to stop schools who have found a way to break the spirit of both the limit of 13 scholarships and the myth of the student athlete all at the same time?

Also, you may be right that the NCAA won't make basketball an exception to the one year scholarship, but they could.

Exactly. I would add Apr was also developed to emphasize academics in sports.

Apr has to factor graduation rates in to reflect true commitment to academics. I would bet that right now Kentucky has an embarrassingly poor graduation rate in basketball. Make this a portion of the apr score and penalize once the score is too low just like what happens now when academic standards aren't met. Graduation rates are absolutely part of the academic equation.

Apr is the tool that exists right now at the collegiate level that can impact one and done without any intervention from the NBA.