Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MJ or LBJ: Who You Got?

Started by sadhogfan, May 11, 2017, 10:20:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: husker71 on June 08, 2017, 05:13:44 pm
ok I hate to be blunt here but I must.   The whole problem with the Cavs can be summed up in one long word  Kardashians       Tristian has only 11 rebounds in 3 games (Curry has 27)  and he was a rebounding monster before he started to dating Khloe.  Why ruin your career for her.  From Reggie Bush to Kris Humphries to Scott Dysick (although he has made out all right) to Kanye West to brother Rob to Caitlyn the touch of a Kardashian will ruin you life and/or career.   I know many of you would say i would  hit it but be forewarned your life will change for the worse.

Once you go Kardashian you never go back

tomarkansawyer

Jordan was an assassin and one of the most competitive people in all of sports. LeBron is one of the greatest physical specimens ever, but I would take Jordan all day every day. You could argue that LeBron is not even the best player playing right now. With Jordan, when he played, there was never an argument. On the 92 dream, even Magic and Bird said that was Jordan's team. They didn't like it, but it was true and they admitted it. If LeBron played in the 80's and early 90's, he would be great, but I don't think he would be mentally tough enough to deal with some of those teams. The Knicks and Pistons alone might make him cry, he would definitely whine, and I would love to see the Mailman deliver an elbow straight to his chest. The greatest era of the NBA is about 1975 to 1995. All of these young guys are good, and have great skill. But just think about some of the names in that period. Dr. J, MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Barkley, Pippen, Stockten, the Glide, Akeem, the list just goes on and on. Today's game does not have that kind of a collection of players who play team ball, especially defense. I would like to see LeBron suite up in the 80's or 90's, then we would see how good he really could be. MJ had numerous teams and individuals push him. LeBron does not get pushed like MJ did, and I don't think he pushes himself like MJ did. Just my thoughts.

husker71

I have no idea who would be considered a better player right now than LBJ.

EastexHawg

Let's see if the entire Cavs team shoots lights out from everywhere, including three point range, again tonight.  My guess is they won't.

hog.goblin

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 12, 2017, 12:44:55 pm
Let's see if the entire Cavs team shoots lights out from everywhere, including three point range, again tonight.  My guess is they won't.

Agreed.  The whole series has been about Kyrie, which says a lot about LBJ and even more about the Warriors.

PonderinHog

hog.goblin

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 12, 2017, 10:50:35 pm
Durant earned his ring.

Yep, as did their bench.  Tonight the bench won 35 - 7.

Kevin McPherson

Kevin Durant was the best player in this series, really no question. His effort, execution, production, and will to win were second to none.

EastexHawg

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 12, 2017, 11:58:01 pm
Kevin Durant was the best player in this series, really no question. His effort, execution, production, and will to win were second to none.

Durant was tremendous.  So was Steph Curry.  Curry averaged 27 points, 8 rebounds, almost 10 assists, and 2.2 steals per game. 

Three blowouts in Oakland and a split on the Cavaliers' home floor...this series was an exclamation point for the Warriors.

311Hog

it was interesting how after the game in the chatter you could hear people saying that Durant cancelled out Lebron and that was the first time anyone could say that in a series, and that Curry was cancelled by Kyrie, but the warriors "others" were just far and away better then the rest of the Cavs.

And i kind of agree with this sentiment.  After Lebron and Kyrie what was there? a few threes from JR, a few rebounds from Love and Thompson.  Warriors just had way more, and Iggy still doing it.  I hope they ditch Zaza, and give those minutes to David West maybe go out and sign another versatile big.

Arms race moves up a notch will be interesting to see who remains with the Cavs.  Lebron post game used the word "recruiting" when commenting on the Warriors summer lol i wonder who Lebron will be "recruiting".

husker71

now I see why Durant wanted to get away from Westbrook        If the game comes to him on a consistent basis he is great.

EastexHawg

Kevin Love has been a premier scorer and rebounder in the league before going to Cleveland and becoming subservient to LeBron.  Despite being the clear third option on the Cavs, he still averaged 19 points and over 11 rebounds during the regular season...and 16 and 11 with 2.2 steals per game in the Finals.

Once Lue gave J.R. Smith more minutes he averaged 19 points over the last three games on 61% shooting from the field.  Tristan Thompson gave the Cavs 9 boards per game while shooting 60% from the field during the regular season...and 59% in the playoffs.  Deron Williams is a career 16.3 ppg scorer...with two seasons at over 21 per game...and hasn't averaged less than 13 points in the last decade before coming to Cleveland and only putting up 7.5 because of limited minutes.

To pretend that Cleveland was severely outmanned in the series because LeBron and Kyrie didn't have any help or other options is not a realistic analysis.  The fact that LeBron and Irving possess the ball and take the lion's share of the shots doesn't mean that they had no choice but to play that way.  Yes, LeBron scored 41 points, but he did it on 30 shots.  Curry, for instance, scored 34 on 20 shots and dished out 10 assists.  Durant scored 39 on 20 shots. 

311Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2017, 10:18:16 am
Kevin Love has been a premier scorer and rebounder in the league before going to Cleveland and becoming subservient to LeBron.  Despite being the clear third option on the Cavs, he still averaged 19 points and over 11 rebounds during the regular season...and 16 and 11 with 2.2 steals per game in the Finals.

Once Lue gave J.R. Smith more minutes he averaged 19 points over the last three games on 61% shooting from the field.  Tristan Thompson gave the Cavs 9 boards per game while shooting 60% from the field during the regular season...and 59% in the playoffs.  Deron Williams is a career 16.3 ppg scorer...with two seasons at over 21 per game...and hasn't averaged less than 13 points in the last decade before coming to Cleveland and only putting up 7.5 because of limited minutes.

To pretend that Cleveland was severely outmanned in the series because LeBron and Kyrie didn't have any help or other options is not a realistic analysis.  The fact that LeBron and Irving possess the ball and take the lion's share of the shots doesn't mean that they had no choice but to play that way.  Yes, LeBron scored 41 points, but he did it on 30 shots.  Curry, for instance, scored 34 on 20 shots and dished out 10 assists.  Durant scored 39 on 20 shots. 

I am not saying they are out manned i am just saying that it seemed that way watching this series for what ever reason.  Statistically the "big 2" cancelled each other out, but as you mentioned Durant and Curry's stats came in a more efficient way and seemed to i dunno encourage the involvement of their teammates more then a bit of razzle dazzle hero ball.  Lebron seemed visibly frustrated by his teammates? the situation ? i am not sure.

PonderinHog

So the better team won, right? 

EastexHawg

Golden State was the most unselfish team in the league and shared the ball more than anyone all season.  I think they had the most assists per game in something like the last 25 years.  Their unselfishness verged on being to their detriment at times.  For instance, I have no idea why someone like Curry would come down the court and pass the ball to Za Za Pachulia near the top of the key.  Za Za has the mobility of Herman Munster, the moves of a fence post, and hands that are as soft as two skillets attached to his wrists.  In the first half last night I told my wife that if the Warriors wanted to win the championship they needed Durant and Curry to become a little more selfish. 

But...that is the way they played in the Finals, and it's the way Golden State has played for the last three or more years.  If you want to have the ball in your hands all the time and take 20-30 shots per game you probably need to go somewhere else.

Dr. Starcs

It's easy being the man when you've got 3 other men out there with you. (Lebronze knows that all too well)

Good job KayDee. Shows the mentality of today's player.

Zzzzzzz

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on June 12, 2017, 11:33:25 am
Jordan was an assassin and one of the most competitive people in all of sports. LeBron is one of the greatest physical specimens ever, but I would take Jordan all day every day. You could argue that LeBron is not even the best player playing right now. With Jordan, when he played, there was never an argument. On the 92 dream, even Magic and Bird said that was Jordan's team. They didn't like it, but it was true and they admitted it. If LeBron played in the 80's and early 90's, he would be great, but I don't think he would be mentally tough enough to deal with some of those teams. The Knicks and Pistons alone might make him cry, he would definitely whine, and I would love to see the Mailman deliver an elbow straight to his chest. The greatest era of the NBA is about 1975 to 1995. All of these young guys are good, and have great skill. But just think about some of the names in that period. Dr. J, MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Barkley, Pippen, Stockten, the Glide, Akeem, the list just goes on and on. Today's game does not have that kind of a collection of players who play team ball, especially defense. I would like to see LeBron suite up in the 80's or 90's, then we would see how good he really could be. MJ had numerous teams and individuals push him. LeBron does not get pushed like MJ did, and I don't think he pushes himself like MJ did. Just my thoughts.

You make a really good defense for Jordan being the greatest of all time. I, too, am curious about how LeBron would have faired against matchups like Larry Johnson, Anthony Mason, Horace Grant, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, James Worthy, and Dominique Wilkins.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on June 13, 2017, 08:34:01 pm
You make a really good defense for Jordan being the greatest of all time. I, too, am curious about how LeBron would have faired against matchups like Larry Johnson, Anthony Mason, Horace Grant, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, James Worthy, and Dominique Wilkins.

Once again, just look at those names you just listed. The 80's and 90's just had so much star power. Ewing, Oakley, Barkley, Miller, Isiah Thomas, Sally, Laimbeer. Those late 80's, early 90's Pistons would run roughshod over teams of today. That era had some of the greatest players EVER, who NEVER won a ring. That's how competitive the NBA was in that ERA. Just a different time. It's really unfair to compare LeBron to MJ. In my opinion, there is just no comparison when really one expands all the variables. I'm not trying to take anything away from LeBron. I just think he's had far more go his way then guys from that era, he has not had to overcome as much, and there is something more resilient about people who had to overcome greater obstacles to get to the mountaintop. That's not LeBron's fault, just the reality of the NBA era he plays in.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)