Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you let your kid play football?

Started by twistitup, May 08, 2017, 01:22:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing what we know now - would you let your kid play football?

yes
no
fp

twistitup

RW3's situation, brain damage being reported by most retired NFL guys, and my personal health situation has me thinking a lot lately....

I don't think I will let my boy play football....it's just not worth it. I still have lingering issues from my playing days and I don't want this for my kid - I'm 39 and feel waaaayyyy older than that because of knee, ankle, shoulder and head injuries. We have information now that wasn't available when I played and I just don't think it is worth the risk.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Next1_04

When I was 15 years old, I was in off season basketball practice and slammed head first into the concrete wall underneath the goal (before there were protections pads). Long story short I had a brain bleed and was sent to ICU at Children's Hospital in Little Rock. The bleed finally stopped and I ended up alright. It was a complete freak accident but they do happen in all sports. I continued playing basketball all the way through my senior year knowing the risk of it happening again and causing more damage and it never did. Moral of the story accidents happen no matter the sport, it's just taking a risk. I will let me boys play if they want to, but, will make them aware of the possibilities of getting hurt.

jgphillips3

I would let them play, but I would not push them to play.

311Hog

i would if he wanted to, but seems he prefers baseball.  I am torn about my experience playing football.  On some days i regret it when i think about what i gave up to play (could have stuck with Trumpet, couldn't take AP classes because it interfered with morning weights etc.) , but man i did enjoy playing so much.

I know the feels i am about your age OP, and i feel older then i should lol...

Also i just played up through High school.  College players, NFL etc. on a whole nother level of impact and abuse.

HognotinMemphis

I played as a 9 and 10 yr old in LR YMCA league. Skipped 6th grade football season, played in 7th grade. Skipped 8th and 9th, and played 10th thru 12th at Catholic. Directly related to football injuries resulted in a bone chip off my right knee cap that had to be removed, sprained ankles more than I can count, and worst of all, a neck injury my senior year that resulted in fusion of C5-C6 18 years later. Not to mention being knocked out at least twice that probably was not good for my brain.

Was it worth it? No. Would I play if I had it to do all over again? No. Do I like to watch football? Yes. But I like to watch boxing and daredevil stuff too.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

twistitup

I understand letting them but not pushing them...and maybe  I will be open to it when he is old enough. The concussion issue is hard for me - we only have one brain and there is no operation to fix brain damage. I had 8 or 9 concussions in my playing days and I have few regrets - but don't want the same for my son. We now know the long term damage concussions have on the brain - knowledge is power.

DeltaBoy

Yes but I had a girl and she broke her arm cheer leading and had several sprained ankles over 6 years of Jr High and Varsity Cheer. And I known 2 who quit due to concussions before their 19th birthday. 

I walk with a cane sometimes due to a right leg injury from HS football and in 2007 a Car wreck did it in real good. 
I would still play football and let my daughter cheer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

micali

I told my boy he could be a place kicker or field goal kicker. That's it. Thankfully he doesn't want too. He supposed to be a big kid per the docs. I'd like for him to give baseball a try but I won't push him.

BigE_23

I absolutely will not let my son play football. There's too much data on the longterm effects for me to ignore as a parent. I played basketball in college, and I hope that my boy loves the game too. I've also taken an interest in lacrosse as a FB alternative to offer my son. There are far less head injuries with just as much intensity.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/football-safe-kids-new-study-finds-brain-changes-n668941

hawginbigd1

Wouldn't change my decision, mine are past their playing days, but you can only put so much bubble wrap around them before you suffocate them. The rules changes have made the game much safer than when I played. But to each their own....

theFlyingHog

Yes but would strongly encourage them to play other sports instead

hogbud

Based on amount of kids (youth tournaments) I see at boat ramps plus number of youth in woods hunting I think they are starting earlier to do what men as adults enjoy and look forward to. I have mixed feelings but know team sports and several coaches greatly influenced my life.

Seebs

I live in Cabot. I will not allow my son to play until Jr High School (the Manning model) after the abomination of how little league football is handled in Cabot.  They had seven year olds moved up to play with 10 year olds in order to have the numbers necessary.  No thanks.

Each story is different, but my son will play football once proper coaching is more available. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogsanity

All of you that have, or will later in this thread, point out accidents in basketball and cheer leading, and baseball and tiddly winks, those are accidents. Most basketball games see no one need to be helped off the court. It is rare for a football game in 7th grade or higher to not have at least one injury bad enough during play to require the player to be helped off the field. My kid played in a baseball tourney over the weekend, and not one player was injured in 13 games in his age group.

Football injuries are not usually freak accidents, they a a direct result of the fact that football is a collision sport. The post above about hitting their head on the concrete wall under the goal in a basketball game was a freak injury. I played 6 yrs in jrhs/hs and then 4 more in intramurals in college, and 3 after that in a competitive weekly rec league and never once was injured and only saw two broken bones in all that time, saw a broken collar bone from 2 guys colliding going for a loose ball, and a kid stepped on a foot and broke his ankle.

Last year I reffed about 40 football games from 6th grade through sr hs. Saw 3 kids have to be taken to the hospital immediately from the game, one with a head injury, one with a broken arm and another with a broken leg. I called over 100 basketball games, not one injury that even required the coach or trainer to come on the court. I've done about 50 baseball games so far this year, not one injury.

To the OP, would I let my kid play football, yes, if they wanted to. My oldest, about to graduate, played as a 7th grader. He played a lot ( ol and lb ) coaches were impressed with him, but he did not play in 8th grade because he didn't want to play again. My youngest is 14, 6'2 160 and has no desire to play football, and I am fine with that too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Seebs on May 08, 2017, 02:42:45 pm
I live in Cabot. I will not allow my son to play until Jr High School (the Manning model) after the abomination of how little league football is handled in Cabot.  They had seven year olds moved up to play with 10 year olds in order to have the numbers necessary.  No thanks.

Each story is different, but my son will play football once proper coaching is more available. 

Pee wee football is a joke.

What if your son does not want to play?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

The possible long term effects aren't surprising. It's a physical sport with lots of impacts/collisions in the shoulder/head area. Always has been, so really not much has changed in that aspect.

Are players more prone to injury now days because everyone is getting bigger, stronger, and faster? Essentially is the game more dangerous today than it was 30 years ago? Does it continue to get more and more dangerous as the years pass? I'm not sure. But if the answer to that is yes, then as a parent for sure something to consider.

In the end though, logical sense says duh...of course there are going to be short term and long term risks involved with football. That's a no brainer...I'm not sure exactly why this is all of the sudden an issue or a revelation of sorts like people make it out to be.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razorbackfaninar

I played football for a total of 6 years. Now granted that was just Jr. High and High-school. I'm in my mid 40's and I have my share of aches and pains. I had my share of injuries too. Yes football was rough, but my life outside of football was pretty rough as well. Riding motorcycles, horses, water skiing, canoeing etc. not to mention I played baseball and, although I was bad at it, basketball.  In my mid 40's I guess you could say that I no longer intentionally court danger, but when I was young my friends and I looked for dangerous stuff to do because it was fun. 

I played football because it was fun.  Yes sometimes my knees are a little stiff, and my back aches, but that comes with age.  For me if I just look at the cost benefit analysis I wouldn't trade one practice, one game that I spent with my friends for my minor aches and pains. But that's me. I have the luxury of having only minor aches and pains.  If I had to decide between playing football and possibly not walking again like RWIII, well that choice would be easy.  Having said that, I am not delusional enough to believe that if I prohibit my sons from playing football that they would lead danger free or injury free lives.  That is not the nature of youth or the nature of young men, and it shouldn't be our goal for our sons and daughters. Life is full of uncertainties and while you may get injured playing football, you may just as easily get injured doing any other of a hundred activities from swimming to driving a car.

Children should enjoy the wild recklessness of youth while they have it. I tell my oldest son to play football as long as it is fun and he enjoys it.  I'll tell my youngest son the same. I'll hope and pray that they stay injury free while they play, and the same goes for when they ride a motorcycle, get in a plane, drive a car, play other sports, go hunting, or any of the other dangerous possibly life threatening activities that people engage in on a regular basis.           

twistitup

Quote from: Seebs on May 08, 2017, 02:42:45 pm

My dad did this to us. There we 2 boys in my family, no POP WARNER football allowed - 7th grade was the first time to suit up for FB. Before football my parents wanted us to try other sports...we played soccer, baseball, and golf before football began dominating our lives.

Some of the top little league football players in my area were burned out by 8th grade because they weren't the superstars in school ball that they were in little league. IMHO kids don't need to be taking blows to the head that young...

hogsanity

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on May 08, 2017, 02:47:39 pm

Children should enjoy the wild recklessness of youth while they have it. I tell my oldest son to play football as long as it is fun and he enjoys it.  I'll tell my youngest son the same. I'll hope and pray that they stay injury free while they play, and the same goes for when they ride a motorcycle, get in a plane, drive a car, play other sports, go hunting, or any of the other dangerous possibly life threatening activities that people engage in on a regular basis. 

I had a very wise couple tell me right after our 1st was born: " tell them yes every time you can, so when you have to say no, they realize it must be something very important or dangerous ".  Which is why we let the oldest, and would let the youngest if he wanted to, play football despite our trepidation about injuries.

My issue, and I have seen this alot, are dads that still make their kids play football because it will make them tough, or manly, especially before school ball starts in 7th grade ( at least its 7th in AR ). And who ride their kids about not acting like a wuss when they get popped or are genuinely hurt. I hear it all the time when I am working a game. Kids goes down, and if he does not get right up some jackwagon is yelling " git up, you aint hurt none ".

lstewart

My younger son was recruited by the junior high coaches after they seeing him throwing passes as a 7th grader at recess. He started at QB the next year as an 8th grader, got wracked up in practice the last week of the season, but made it through the last game that week. Finally found out once we got to a neuro that he had a fractured vertebrae and a torn disc. He spent the next 3 months is a full body brace, missing basketball season. Talked him into giving up football to focus on basketball and tennis. He ended up being one of the top high school tennis players in the state and got a D-2 scholarship. Injuries are going to happen in all sports, but football is probably the most risky. I love it as a fan, but would encourage kids now to find other sports to focus on.

PorkRinds

I have girls so I won't likely have to make the decision.

Hogsenburg

I'm only 30 and a lot of days feel much older.....but I wouldn't trade the memories for the world and I would do it all over again. If I ever have a son I will absolutely want him to play football. It has been a huge part of my life since I was 11 or 12

Hogsenburg

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 08, 2017, 02:59:56 pm
I have girls so I won't likely have to make the decision.

same here.....only girls for me so far

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 08, 2017, 02:56:02 pm
I had a very wise couple tell me right after our 1st was born: " tell them yes every time you can, so when you have to say no, they realize it must be something very important or dangerous ".  Which is why we let the oldest, and would let the youngest if he wanted to, play football despite our trepidation about injuries.

My issue, and I have seen this alot, are dads that still make their kids play football because it will make them tough, or manly, especially before school ball starts in 7th grade ( at least its 7th in AR ). And who ride their kids about not acting like a wuss when they get popped or are genuinely hurt. I hear it all the time when I am working a game. Kids goes down, and if he does not get right up some jackwagon is yelling " git up, you aint hurt none ".

Omg this last paragraph i cannot stress enough.

I witnessed (growing up) my best friend get road so hard by his dad (who sponsored his pop warner team and coached) that it was abusive i will never forget it and it is some 33 years later.  I also recently starting reffing boys and girls club football and basketball leagues.  The sheer volume of jack wagons on the sidelines makes you weep for humanity and for the kids.  Never seen people live so vicariously through their children in a sport so pointless as tiny kids "playing" football.  They are suppose to be doing it for fun and to learn the game, but don't tell these parents that, they believe it to be marines bootcamp where the last surviving kid wins a guaranteed try out with the Cowboys...

sickboy

Guys, freak accidents happen walking across the street, that doesn't mean you should play chicken with incoming traffic just because you're wearing a helmet and your buddy is cheering you on.

Football is statistically harder on the body than any other popular American sport. Add the head trauma conversation and it's only logical that parents would think twice about letting their kids play football.

I played football through high school, never had one injury. I blew out my knee playing high school soccer and now I walk with a limp some days from the arthritis. Still debate if I will let my kids play football, but I wouldn't bat an eye if they wanted to play soccer.

A potential bum knee is a lot different than head trauma.

Pigsfeat

My son was the starting QB for his HS team the last two years of his high school career. He endured a sublux in his throwing shoulder, lacerated kidney where he passed blood in his Miss for a couple days, many ankle injuries and bumps and bruises. I loved watching him and worried about him every game but allowed him to make his on choice. He went on to play baseball in college and is now coaching baseball and football at the school he teaches at.
The only big complaint I had was that in Mississippi HS ball they called intentional grounding if you threw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. If college and NFL allow QBs to throw it out of bounds for player safety then why not in HS? I couldn't believe it!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

TNRazorbacker

Let them play yes.  Encourage it no.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigsfeat on May 08, 2017, 03:49:15 pm
My son was the starting QB for his HS team the last two years of his high school career. He endured a sublux in his throwing shoulder, lacerated kidney where he passed blood in his Miss for a couple days, many ankle injuries and bumps and bruises. I loved watching him and worried about him every game but allowed him to make his on choice. He went on to play baseball in college and is now coaching baseball and football at the school he teaches at.
The only big complaint I had was that in Mississippi HS ball they called intentional grounding if you threw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. If college and NFL allow QBs to throw it out of bounds for player safety then why not in HS? I couldn't believe it!

Lots of rules are different in HS, in all sports, than in college or pros. HS still has the 5 yard face mask. HS Baseball a balk is a dead ball.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: hogsanity on May 08, 2017, 03:51:35 pm
Lots of rules are different in HS, in all sports, than in college or pros. HS still has the 5 yard face mask. HS Baseball a balk is a dead ball.
That was what the officials told my son after flagging him. I just don't understand why we wouldn't try to protect kids in HS the way they do in college and pros. It seems like something that could be changed, although it wouldn't help my son now.
E. Neal

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigsfeat on May 08, 2017, 03:53:40 pm
That was what the officials told my son after flagging him. I just don't understand why we wouldn't try to protect kids in HS the way they do in college and pros. It seems like something that could be changed, although it wouldn't help my son now.

I agree, not sure why it is that way. 1st flag I threw for facemask the white hat asked me if it was 5 or 15, I just stared at him, no one told me they still used the 5 yard "inadvertent" call.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: hogsanity on May 08, 2017, 03:59:29 pm
I agree, not sure why it is that way. 1st flag I threw for facemask the white hat asked me if it was 5 or 15, I just stared at him, no one told me they still used the 5 yard "inadvertent" call.
Sometimes I wish they still had the inadvertent facemask call in college and NFL but I know it is easier on the officials to not have to determine that.
My son figured a way around the out of bounds throw by throwing it into the ground at the receiver's feet closest to him. The receivers started complaining about him hitting them in the feet, though. ;) 
E. Neal

TheJoeyBucketz

They might be able to talk me into it if they tried hard enough, but I damn sure won't give in without a fight.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

Poker_hog

Quote from: Hogsenburg on May 08, 2017, 03:06:28 pm
same here.....only girls for me so far

I'm fellow X-shooter as well.  So it won't be an issue.

But I strongly believe that the benefits of playing team sports outweighs the risks.  August football practices are a grind.  Many things worth doing are a similar grind.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

longpig

I would if he was already kind of simple.
Don't be scared, be smart.

I would not, and it makes me feel a little guilty about how much I enjoy watching other peoples kids play football.

daprospecta

It was a dream of mine to play for the Razorbacks(dream achieved) but I started playing football at 7.  I hung up the cleats at 22 and I don't have any lasting effects at the moment. With that being said, no, I would not allow my son to play football.  I played D-line and the collisions were minimal but still.  Baseball is the sport I'd prefer.  Easier entry if you are good enough,  can play for 15+ with minimal wear and tear.

bennyl08

If ever I have them, sure. I would caution them about the dangers and risks. However, I wouldn't push any sport on them though I would push them to be active. If anything, they'd wind up taking up rock climbing.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogShat

My son is 15 and entering into his 8th year playing football. Well, he missed his 8th grade year due to a broken arm on the first day of fall practice. He was moving his 4 wheeler out of the way of his mom's truck and the throttle stuck in reverse slinging him to the ground and snapping it. Needless to say he didn't make it to practice. He's a good sized kid already, 6'0'' 250ish. Never played anywhere but OL. He played mostly center last couple years, some guard as well. Stats show, longsnapper and center have the lowest concussion rates, followed by the rest of the OL and DL with the rates steady climbing the farther away from the ball you get. Do I worry? Sure, what parent doesn't. I worry more that he will be 16 in a few months and be turned loose behind the wheel of a vehicle. Scares the bejesus out of me. But like someone earlier said, there is only so much bubble wrap you can put on them...

bphi11ips

I think it depends on the kid.  My son pestered me to play tackle football when he was 5.  My wife and I said no.  Not no, period, just not now.  We let him play soccer and t-ball.  This went on every year until we said yes at 8.  That's when I started playing YMCA football in Little Rock. 

I think the age at which a boy should start football depends on the program and coaching available, too.  Youth football was well organized, well coached, and very popular in Little Rock in the early to mid-70s. Friendships that began and developed there have lasted many of us a lifetime.  I went turkey hunting with two of those friends recently.  The three of us scattered as adults, but one thing we've discovered the older we get - you can't make old friends.  There's something about the bond football teammates build.  We played basketball, baseball and ran track together, too, but football was special. 

When I was considering when to allow my son to play, I researched the program itself and talked to other parents.  I learned that there was an organization called Tennessee Youth Football Association with programs in many communities in middle Tennessee.  Weight restrictions for backs made me feel better about injuries, and three levels of competition within each age group did as well.  The biggest players generally wind up in AAA, the next in AA, and the rest are divided into A teams.  The Brentwood Blaze, where my son played, usually had about 140 players in each age group, enough for 5 or 6 teams.  Coaches were often fathers with college football experience or better.  Teams were drafted after a two week assessment period where a lot of coaching took place.  The season kicked off every year with a jamboree that included fireworks. Every team had cheerleaders, and most games came complete with a PA announcer.  Leagues and playoffs involved competition between communities.  All in all it was a wonderful experience for everyone involved.  My son played for 5 years and my daughter cheered every year.  My son wiil be high school senior and wants to play in college.  My daughter was a varsity cheerleader as a freshman and wants to cheer in college.  Friday nights are big in our house these days.

Having said this, I just got home from a doctor's appointment with my daughter.  Cheer is a year-round sport, especially where competition is concerned.  She may have a stress fracture from all the high impact tumbling on hard surfaces.  Cheerleaders also don't like dairy, so they seem to have abnormally high instances of stress fractures.  Again, part of the demands of the sport.  My son tore a meniscus in January playing goalie for Brentwood's hockey team.  He's never had a serious injury from football, but he played tailback and cornerback last year, and if you can't stand to see your child swollen and bruised, don't let him play or don't look after a game. 

Another consideration is the kid himself.  Would he rather be the bug or the windshield?  Bugs get hurt more in football, especially youth football.  If your child is timid, football isn't likely to toughen him up, but it may get him hurt and damage his confidence. 

Some of the best days of my life were spent on a football field, practices included.  My best friends were my teammates.  Some still are.  My son would tell you the same.  He has waked up at 5:00 am most days since he was a freshman to work out.  That's for football.  He hates track but runs because it complements football.  He has logged more than 100 hours of community service because his coach encourages it.  He coaches 7-8 year old flag football.  My daughter competes year round as a cheerleader.  She is an explosive athlete.  Neither my son nor I would ever think of trying to do the things she does.  Both kids have learned discipline and built confidence while competing in the sports they love.  They've both been hurt.  Ice packs and Advil are staples in our house.  They do it because  they love to compete.  Their mom and I believe the risk is worth the reward.  Will we if one of them sustains a life altering injury?  I don't know.  We'll just support them and hope for the best the way we did when we gave our son the keys to his car.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HamSammich

Rugby- yes
Baseball- yes
Basketball- yes
Judo- yes
Boxing- hell no
Football- hell no

I've been hit so hard in football and in boxing my teeth and little toes hurt... I know it scrambled the eggs in my head. All the other sports I played not once.

10thPlanet

Mine played until 10th grade. Then he needed to focus on basketball which is HIS favorite sport. Had I know the future he never would've played football, he would've just been putting shots up in the gym. Not going to lie, it hurt me when he made his decision. I thought he was going to be a better QB/RB/WR(he played all of those in Jr high(4A now at a 7A) than a basketball guard. Truth is he most likely doesn't have a future in collegiate sports. Lot's of character building though.

HogBreath

Great sport for sure, we all love it.....BUT.... parents, don't let your kids play football.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LZH

My nephew is a good sized 10th grader....about 6'0" 200lbs.....but mama said NO. He's never been interested anyway. He wants to be a musician (uh oh).

HognitiveDissonance

The thread in this forum titled 'RWIII' that is now locked has much discussion on same topic of the safety of football, starting a few pages in.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on May 08, 2017, 04:26:13 pm
They might be able to talk me into it if they tried hard enough, but I damn sure won't give in without a fight.
You got one that's too sadistic for football. I see the waterboy with an evil smile on his face

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 08, 2017, 06:31:53 pm
You got one that's too sadistic for football. I see the waterboy with an evil smile on his face
The waterboy had a kind heart. That one smiles while he watches you bleed.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Will you let him drive?
There's a much larger chance of an accident and much higher chance of serious injury/death.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SA Hog Fan

twistitup

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 08, 2017, 07:31:12 pm
Will you let him drive?
There's a much larger chance of an accident and much higher chance of serious injury/death.

Football is like multiple car accidents every Saturday during the season

Long term brain damage is undeniable

Yes, I will let him drive....this is not a conversation about me sheltering my children - it's more about responsible decision making. I'm not anti-football in the least- just looking after my boy.

ricepig

Sure did, and I'd let them play all over again.