Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you let your kid play football?

Started by twistitup, May 08, 2017, 01:22:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing what we know now - would you let your kid play football?

yes
no
fp

tophawg19

So y'all love football as long as it's somebody else's kid . who cares if they get hurt. yes i played sports and had both shoulders dislocated in football , hyperextended a knee and broke my nose in baseball , broke fingers and messed up an ankle playing basketball as well as broke nose again. got hurt multiple times on motorcycles and 4 wheelers . yes i've been down but it taught me to get back up and be tough . And how to fight through adversity . This sounds like the gladiators where everyone sits in the stands to watch the few brave souls who dare to be champions . If it were possible I'd go back and do it again
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on May 08, 2017, 07:49:16 pm
Football is like multiple car accidents every Saturday during the season

Long term brain damage is undeniable

Yes, I will let him drive....this is not a conversation about me sheltering my children - it's more about responsible decision making. I'm not anti-football in the least- just looking after my boy.

According to a recent study published by Stanford Student Health, baseball has the highest fatality rate for children aged 5-14, with 3-4 deaths occurring annually.  I've known three high school baseball players the last two years who had Tommy John surgery.  The only concussion I ever suffered was a serious concussion playing basketball.  I have painful arthtritus in my right elbow from pitching and had a laminectomy at 43 to repair a disk that ruptured after years of hitting thousands of golf balls.

This is not an indictment of other sports or sports in general.  Most team sports have some element of risk.  They also produce benefits.  Football is the funnest game I ever played, and nothing else was close.  Why deprive a kid who wants to play and loves the game of that experience? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Ā 

FANONTHEHILL

I have two sons.  Neither played football until the 8th grade.  One is going to be a sophomore at Fayetteville High this fall, the other will be a red shirt Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.  I never told either of them to play.  I told them to be make good grades.  Neither of them had a killer instinct or liked contact until their 9th grade years.  Do I worry about them? Yes.  I also worry when the older one drives across town or when  the younger rides his mountain bike like a maniac down a bluff.  I pray that neither of them get hurt.  But when it comes down to it, I'm very happy that they play football.  The life lessons that you learn as a player last the rest of your life.  Today's kids have grown up in a narcissistic society that focuses on little but what attention you can gain for yourself.  Football is not like that.  Especially with both of them being offensive lineman.  It teaches you what the real world is like.  Most of us get up every day and go to our jobs.  We work, do everything we should, and don't mess anything up.  Do we get anything extra for that? No.  But what if you do your job right 99% of the time, but that one time you screw up, everyone sees it and it's all that they talk about.  That's the life of an offensive lineman.  Football also teaches that if you don't do your job, everything falls apart.  It's about more than just you.  It's about what WE can do when WE are all accountable.  That's the way everyone should approach everything and football has helped both of my son's learn that.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Birminghog

My kid is a girl, but if she had been a boy, it would have been her choice after being made aware of the issues. Would not have let her play prior to middle school. I introduced her to a variety of activities and let her find her way. She would have been a good golfer or tennis player, but for a sport, she chose basketball after being introduced to it in Upward - eventually played on an undefeated middle school team but chose not to play high school ball. Did ballet, piano, and violin early on, but eventually chose violin and oboe. Went to college as a double major in music performance and business and is gravitating toward finance and not sure what other segment of business.

My dad played football in the 1920's & early 1930's. Tore up his knees, preventing his acceptance when he volunteered for World War II. He did not want his son, who was fast but little and stick thin, to play football. Joined band instead, and nearly 50 years later, have enjoyed a career in music education.

Present them with opportunities, make them aware of the challenges, then support their choices. They will eventually find their way.

1highhog

In a New York minute, if he wanted to play.  I would not encourage him to play, and if he wanted to, I would make him aware of all the lingering issues that former plays have had and the brain damage and the possibility of being paralyzed, after all that and he still wants to play, he can play.

hobhog

Never pushed mine to play. He loved it and was a good player until high school but was too small to play AAAAA football and played baseball instead. I am glad he got to experience football but understood his decision.

I played 8th grade thru 12th with no serious injury. Would do it again. It's a great sport and injuries are the exception not the rule. Hope it's around a long time.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

mine is playing right now. Senior year coming up.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

McKdaddy

Yes, playing now. It is his decision. I don't push him to play and check w/ him regularly, asking if he is still enjoying it and if he wants to continue.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

BigSexyHog

Yes I would.   I wouldn't even think twice about it.  Injuries in sports do not scare me but it would be his choice.  Mine is a junior in high school.  Played sports as a kid but never took to it.  I didn't push him and let him make his own decision.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

sickboy

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 08, 2017, 07:31:12 pm
Will you let him drive?
There's a much larger chance of an accident and much higher chance of serious injury/death.

You don't play football to get to work every morning on time. A car is a need.

PORKULATOR

Live life. Teach your kids to live life too.
My daughter is about to start kayaking the Ocoee River with me and STILL the most dangerous thing I let her do is pitch in FPSoftball. Some chick could take her head off.
She likes /wants to compete so I. Behind it.
Oldest boy, I've had upside down in kayaks and on climbing walls since he was 13, WOULD HAVE LOVED FOR HIM TO PLAY FOOTBALL. Tall, lean... Healthy....
Transgender

Well, I love her, but yeah... I'd have let either one of them play.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡ā‚¬% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BigE_23

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 08, 2017, 09:00:27 pm
According to a recent study published by Stanford Student Health, baseball has the highest fatality rate for children aged 5-14, with 3-4 deaths occurring annually.  I've known three high school baseball players the last two years who had Tommy John surgery.  The only concussion I ever suffered was a serious concussion playing basketball.  I have painful arthtritus in my right elbow from pitching and had a laminectomy at 43 to repair a disk that ruptured after years of hitting thousands of golf balls.

This is not an indictment of other sports or sports in general.  Most team sports have some element of risk.  They also produce benefits.  Football is the funnest game I ever played, and nothing else was close.  Why deprive a kid who wants to play and loves the game of that experience?

We're not just talking fatality rate...we're talking long term injuries.

How many people get paralyzed from baseball? Concussions happen but rarely...football is brutal contact for 60 minutes in which the head and neck are thrown towards someone running at you in a dead sprint. To try and compare baseball to football based on higher fatality rates is nothing short of a stretch.

There's a concussion on 76 out of every 100,000 athletic exposures in football. Compare that to 5 out of 100K for baseball. There's literally no comparison.

http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussion_info/stats_on_concussions_sports

PORKULATOR

The equipment most of us played with compared to what is offered now is night and day.  Some of us will be unlucky, but most, and that's in the 90%range, will have kids who learn a lot about  "things" FROM sports and then go ON with their lives.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡ā‚¬% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Ā 

McKdaddy

Yes, playing now. It is his decision. I don't push him to play and check w/ him regularly, asking if he is still enjoying it and if he wants to continue.

Seebs

Quote from: hogsanity on May 08, 2017, 02:45:05 pm
Pee wee football is a joke.

What if your son does not want to play?

I am the Great Santini.

Your question is idiotic and hardly worth a reply, but I felt obligated to point out the sheer stupidity of your question.

It is I that is making him wait until 7th grade - he wants to play now.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Razorbackers

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 08, 2017, 07:31:12 pm
Will you let him drive?
There's a much larger chance of an accident and much higher chance of serious injury/death.

Do you like eggs?
There's a much larger chance of a heart attack or heart disease.

jusgtohogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 08, 2017, 01:29:54 pm
I would let them play, but I would not push them to play.

this^^^^^^^  I have 5 Grandsons.  If they decide to play football, I will watch them every chance I get.  They won't be pressured to play.

Razorbackers

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 08, 2017, 08:52:46 pm
So y'all love football as long as it's somebody else's kid . who cares if they get hurt. yes i played sports and had both shoulders dislocated in football , hyperextended a knee and broke my nose in baseball , broke fingers and messed up an ankle playing basketball as well as broke nose again. got hurt multiple times on motorcycles and 4 wheelers . yes i've been down but it taught me to get back up and be tough . And how to fight through adversity . This sounds like the gladiators where everyone sits in the stands to watch the few brave souls who dare to be champions . If it were possible I'd go back and do it again

Well a few things here.

1) I would be pretty conflicted about letting my son play football. I loved playing it, and it got both my uncles, my dad, a cousin, and myself into college to some degree. I also see the toll it took on all of us as we age. It probably wasn't worth it for me, I went D2, got injured quickly, and quit. Now my shoulder, knee, and ankles hurt and I'm only 30. I'll definitely give pause if my son wants to play Football.

2) Football can teach a lot of things, as can sports. But they aren't the only way to learn how to fight through adversity or to be tough.

3) The gladiator comparison is already accurate. Are your kids playing in the NFL or NCAA? We're already watching a group of people slowly kill themselves for our entertainment. Of course, they're paid well to do it if they can get to the NFL or go to Auburn or Ole Miss. But trends show less and less middle class and higher kids playing football, largely due to risk. What percentage of the Razorbacks are kids from lower income homes and neighborhoods? That percentage will most likely rise in the coming years, as affluent children play basketball, baseball, and soccer.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

I played in high school, all conference AAA pulling guard at the time, so I was average. Hurt my right knee in 9th grade, still have issues with swelling on it. Everything I learned about mental toughness came from football, and that has helped me in my post graduate education and career. My 10 y/o played last year for first time with my encouragement. He was decent but I don't think he loves it. I helped coach him, so knew what he was doing every day. I am honestly having major second thoughts about the risks, and I would not be torn up if he didn't play this year. On the other hand, I want him to do something athletically in the fall and not be an xbox couch potato, because that has long term risks as well. He does like baseball, so I will go all in to support that and maybe we'll see what the fall holds there. Still conflicted to be honest.

PLHawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 09, 2017, 08:28:33 am
Well a few things here.

1) I would be pretty conflicted about letting my son play football. I loved playing it, and it got both my uncles, my dad, a cousin, and myself into college to some degree. I also see the toll it took on all of us as we age. It probably wasn't worth it for me, I went D2, got injured quickly, and quit. Now my shoulder, knee, and ankles hurt and I'm only 30. I'll definitely give pause if my son wants to play Football.

2) Football can teach a lot of things, as can sports. But they aren't the only way to learn how to fight through adversity or to be tough.

3) The gladiator comparison is already accurate. Are your kids playing in the NFL or NCAA? We're already watching a group of people slowly kill themselves for our entertainment. Of course, they're paid well to do it if they can get to the NFL or go to Auburn or Ole Miss. But trends show less and less middle class and higher kids playing football, largely due to risk. What percentage of the Razorbacks are kids from lower income homes and neighborhoods? That percentage will most likely rise in the coming years, as affluent children play basketball, baseball, and soccer.

I played football myself from third grade up until my sophomore year of high school, I was fortunate never suffered any significant injuries - but consider myself lucky.  My son started playing soccer when he was like five years old, and when he hit third grade I encouraged him to go out for football because he seemed to have some athletic talent.  He broke his arm the second game he played, so I took that as somewhat of an omen.  I didn't discourage him to play more football he just decided on his own that it wasn't for him.  He went on to play basketball, soccer, ran track and cross country - and was successful in all.  I don't even slightly regret him not playing football, as much as I love watching it.
One thing that cannot be denied is as much progress and innovation there is in the development of protective equipment, it isn't keeping pace with the development of the players - size, strength, speed.  I believe ten years from now you're going to see a drastic decrease in the number of kids that are not only not going out for little league football, but also jr. high and high school.  I think it will be especially apparent in upper social-economic school districts.  Today's parents are not only armed with a lot more knowledge of the risks involved, but they're generally more involved with their kids, somewhat to the point of being smothering.  As opposed to seeing, say a hundred kids going out for the high school football team, I believe you're going to see sixty, seventy, maybe eighty depending on the winning tradition of the program itself. 

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on May 09, 2017, 09:13:06 am

I played football myself from third grade up until my sophomore year of high school, I was fortunate never suffered any significant injuries - but consider myself lucky.  My son started playing soccer when he was like five years old, and when he hit third grade I encouraged him to go out for football because he seemed to have some athletic talent.  He broke his arm the second game he played, so I took that as somewhat of an omen.  I didn't discourage him to play more football he just decided on his own that it wasn't for him.  He went on to play basketball, soccer, ran track and cross country - and was successful in all.  I don't even slightly regret him not playing football, as much as I love watching it.
One thing that cannot be denied is as much progress and innovation there is in the development of protective equipment, it isn't keeping pace with the development of the players - size, strength, speed.  I believe ten years from now you're going to see a drastic decrease in the number of kids that are not only not going out for little league football, but also jr. high and high school.  I think it will be especially apparent in upper social-economic school districts.  Today's parents are not only armed with a lot more knowledge of the risks involved, but they're generally more involved with their kids, somewhat to the point of being smothering.  As opposed to seeing, say a hundred kids going out for the high school football team, I believe you're going to see sixty, seventy, maybe eighty depending on the winning tradition of the program itself. 

Football is going to continue to be the "proving grounds" for a kids toughness - even though that is utterly stupid - for at least another generation.

Football IS NOT the only sport where kids can learn teamwork, mental toughness, etc. My youngest plays baseball, he is a catcher, it takes plenty of both physical and mental toughness to play that position. It takes a mentally tough kid to play PG in basketball with all the presing an trapping now.

Those bringing up socio-economic points may or may not be right. I know in FS, Southside is the more affluent HS, and they have over 100 out for football, meanwhile Northside has seen number dip into the 50's just 3 or 4 years ago, and they are a 7a school.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

Quote from: PLHawg on May 09, 2017, 09:13:06 am

I think what you're going to see is the philosophy of "why play football and risk injury" from a lot of parents in the more well-off financial areas. Little Timmy is going to college regardless, so let him focus on other sports. Meanwhile, places with less opportunity will see football remain as a popular sport, at least as long as the college scholarships and the NFL are around.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 09, 2017, 09:35:51 am
I think what you're going to see is the philosophy of "why play football and risk injury" from a lot of parents in the more well-off financial areas. Little Timmy is going to college regardless, so let him focus on other sports. Meanwhile, places with less opportunity will see football remain as a popular sport, at least as long as the college scholarships and the NFL are around.

Definitely seeing this in our city.  The kids in the "better off" schools have seen fairly significant football numbers decline and other sports increase, while urban schools have also seen numbers decline in football participation but at a much smaller scale.

I admit I'm conflicted about my son playing.  I love watching him play and the teamwork mentality he's developed from it, but I wonder at times if I'm making the right decision to let him play.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 09, 2017, 09:35:51 am
Meanwhile, places with less opportunity will see football remain as a popular sport, at least as long as the college scholarships and the NFL are around.

Do most people in those areas truly think their kid has the talent to get a football scholarship? Most Ar HS football stadiums are filled on Friday nights, over 200 schools have varsity football, but even counting every level of college football, how many get athletic scholarships each year? And that is in a small state like Arkansas.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ā 

HognotinMemphis

Some thorough responses here, especially by bphillips. For me, I probably would not play again if I had it to do over. As for letting my child play, it would be up to him and the circumstances. As it turned out, my son was not interested in it. My thought at the time was, "just as well."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 09:44:41 am
Do most people in those areas truly think their kid has the talent to get a football scholarship? Most Ar HS football stadiums are filled on Friday nights, over 200 schools have varsity football, but even counting every level of college football, how many get athletic scholarships each year? And that is in a small state like Arkansas.

it is a peculiar delusion to be sure.  Lots of people operate under. 

1. Football is only way to demonstrate or learn toughness.
2. Football is only way "out of a bad life circumstance"
3. Equipment is "so much better these days", when it is impossible to wear a helmet for your brain.  The helmet while better then it use to be cannot stop the micro collisions of your brain hitting the inside of your skull.
4. Or the best one, "well life is tough, and other things can get you hurt to".

Football is an institution that is deeply ingrained in our society it will not go away quickly nor quietly (probably not ever in our life time).  Because people don't want it to, they fear it's absence.   Btw i love football and i played.  But i cannot deny the brain banging into the skull over time consequence, and i doubt people will accept 7 on 7 to eliminate that result.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 10:00:16 am

Football is an institution that is deeply ingrained in our society it will not go away quickly nor quietly (probably not ever in our life time).  Because people don't want it to, they fear it's absence.   Btw i love football and i played.  But i cannot deny the brain banging into the skull over time consequence, and i doubt people will accept 7 on 7 to eliminate that result.

I do not want it to go away. I would like to see the attitudes toward it change. I would like to see tackle football go away below jrhs level.

Funny you mention the micro collisions. The one season my son did play, the only time he got his bell rung was when he was playing guard and did a simple block. Not one issue on all the tackles he made at LB, or the pulling blocks he made, just on a simple straight ahead block that looked as routine as any you'd ever see. 

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 10:00:16 am

4. Or the best one, "well life is tough, and other things can get you hurt to".

And we learn to avoid or limit exposure to as many of those things as we can, but for some reason we are supposed to ignore the risks of football.

And please no one get me wrong. I love watching college football. I love officiating football. Some very good people have made a lot of money playing football and done alot of good with it, and I am sure football has kept some kids off the streets and alive long enough to make something of themselves. But, football is not the great savior of the male gender that many portray it to be.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 10:12:23 am
I do not want it to go away. I would like to see the attitudes toward it change. I would like to see tackle football go away below jrhs level.

Funny you mention the micro collisions. The one season my son did play, the only time he got his bell rung was when he was playing guard and did a simple block. Not one issue on all the tackles he made at LB, or the pulling blocks he made, just on a simple straight ahead block that looked as routine as any you'd ever see. 

And we learn to avoid or limit exposure to as many of those things as we can, but for some reason we are supposed to ignore the risks of football.

And please no one get me wrong. I love watching college football. I love officiating football. Some very good people have made a lot of money playing football and done alot of good with it, and I am sure football has kept some kids off the streets and alive long enough to make something of themselves. But, football is not the great savior of the male gender that many portray it to be.

Yes i played OL as well.  Two things i always believed the line or linemen have it worst because of the constant banging.  It is similar to boxing vs MMA.  Boxing IMHO is worse for you because of the constant beating of your head with pillows for 12 rounds as oppose to being knocked out in a flash.  IE big hit in Football is damaging but not as damaging as banging your head into a wall repeatedly for 2 and half hours.

It is modern day gladiatorial activity.  Gladiators were never, are never meant to survive.  Can dress it up as glory all people want, but the fact is at it's base it is a blood sport, where if there is no blood a large subsection of the fan base is not interested because they are there to see someone get hurt.

jbigs77

Quote from: Next1_04 on May 08, 2017, 01:29:42 pm
When I was 15 years old, I was in off season basketball practice and slammed head first into the concrete wall underneath the goal (before there were protections pads). Long story short I had a brain bleed and was sent to ICU at Children's Hospital in Little Rock. The bleed finally stopped and I ended up alright. It was a complete freak accident but they do happen in all sports. I continued playing basketball all the way through my senior year knowing the risk of it happening again and causing more damage and it never did. Moral of the story accidents happen no matter the sport, it's just taking a risk. I will let me boys play if they want to, but, will make them aware of the possibilities of getting hurt.

This is so true. You can get hurt doing anything. I played all sports, and got hurt to some degree playing them. But I will say this, football is a rough game, and severe injuries are more likely. With the strength of todays players, the impacts are much more severe. I played football at a small NWA school back in the 70s. Against the competition in this area I played, it wasn't bad. But we played a team from Little Rock, I was playing defensive nose guard and was chasing the QB going for a sack. I got hit by a pulling OG (blindsided) he hit me so hard, I flew in the air, landed on my A$$, skidded for 3 yards, them rolled for 3 more. My helmet came off and he also knocked off my shoes. I didn't know the day or year when asked. It would be a highlight film for ESPN if on tape. It occurred to me at that time, football wasn't my game. I played more baseball after that.

HogShat

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 10:20:48 am
Yes i played OL as well.  Two things i always believed the line or linemen have it worst because of the constant banging.  It is similar to boxing vs MMA.  Boxing IMHO is worse for you because of the constant beating of your head with pillows for 12 rounds as oppose to being knocked out in a flash.  IE big hit in Football is damaging but not as damaging as banging your head into a wall repeatedly for 2 and half hours.

Statistical data proves just the opposite, as far as OL and DL are concerned...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/12/which-position-suffers-the-most-concussions/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/what-weve-learned-from-two-years-of-tracking-nfl-concussions/

I did read somewhere else that linemen may also be less likely to report concussion symptoms so who really knows...

311Hog

Quote from: HogShat on May 09, 2017, 12:01:14 pm
Statistical data proves just the opposite, as far as OL and DL are concerned...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/12/which-position-suffers-the-most-concussions/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/what-weve-learned-from-two-years-of-tracking-nfl-concussions/

I did read somewhere else that linemen may also be less likely to report concussion symptoms so who really knows...

Micro collisions that could or IMHO would make getting CTE more likely don't always come from a full blown concussion. 

code red

There is nothing I wouldn't do to run through another banner at Greenbrier High School just one more time.  Football...means more to a community than just a  game.  Friday nights in Arkansas are an institution.  I wouldn't ever tell my kid he couldn't play football if he/she wanted to.  The friendships built are what it is all about.  Love that game.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HawgHeadCheese

I would absolutely let my kid play football. I played football since the age of 6 years old all the way through college. I played OL/DL in HS and OL in college. I never had a serious injury. The worst injury I ever had was bruised ribs and turf toe. Now that I'm 29 and I'm done with the game I do have terrible tendonitis in my knees and shoulder. When youre a kid you dont care about being safe or when you love something you don't care about it hurting you in the long run. I currently live in Dallas and before I started teaching and coaching here I worked for Baylor Orthopedics and our doctors saw hs, college, and professionally athletes as well as regular people. I will just say that 98 percent of our patients weren't football players. Its a dangerous world we live in and anything can cause a injury. I wont treat my child like the boy in the bubble.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 09:21:23 am
Football is going to continue to be the "proving grounds" for a kids toughness - even though that is utterly stupid - for at least another generation.

Football IS NOT the only sport where kids can learn teamwork, mental toughness, etc. My youngest plays baseball, he is a catcher, it takes plenty of both physical and mental toughness to play that position. It takes a mentally tough kid to play PG in basketball with all the presing an trapping now.

Those bringing up socio-economic points may or may not be right. I know in FS, Southside is the more affluent HS, and they have over 100 out for football, meanwhile Northside has seen number dip into the 50's just 3 or 4 years ago, and they are a 7a school.

I would bet that regional bias plays a bigger role in participation than socio-economic status.  Football is king in the South, Midwest, and Texas.  Not sure about the Northeast, West and Moutain states. 

Williamson County, Tennessee has the seventh highest per capita income in the U.S., but all of its high schools have thriving football programs.  Football is by far the most popular sport.  Brentwood High School has over 100 players from grades 10, 11 and 12.  They are wrapping up Spring practice now.  Rising freshmen from Brentwood and Lipscomb middle schools will don a BHS jersey for the first time at halftime of the Blue Gold game Thursday.  We expect about 50 of them.  They'll begin offseason workouts with the rest of the team in a couple of weeks.

Thirty-five seniors will dress out with the BHS varsity this Fall.  Most of them have not played a down of varsity football yet.  But they have worked year-round for the privilege of wearing the uniform for the last three years.  And they all show the physical results.  Many will play little even as seniors, but some of those will add the Bruin Excellence Award to their resumes for maintaining a 3.5 cummulative GPA and earning 100 hours of community service. 

Yes - there are some parents in this community who steer their sons to sports other than football.  Lacrosse seems to be the trendy alternative.  Baseball is a great game.  I loved it myself.  But both games have the potential for catastrophic injury.  And no sport is worse, in an affluent community, in my opinion, from a political, parent meddling, parent pressuring the player standpoint, than baseball.  Hockey certainly has its share of injuries, understandably so.  Hockey parents are an interesting group.  They share a passion for the game that may exceed the rest, even football.  But they are less political.  Hockey, Lacross and baseball are expensive, much more than football if your child travels, and that is now the norm in those sports. 

I don't see people suggesting football as the only way to supplement academics to produce well rounded men.  Kids should follow their passion and enjoy doing it.  My daughter gets the same benefits from cheerleading that my son gets from football.  They both watch their nutrition and stay in top condition. Probably no group at Brentwood High School works harder than the band.  You can't go anywhere near the school at 5:00 in the afternoon without hearing the CLICK CLICK CLICK of the metronome. 

Like someone said above, life is meant to be lived.  It is not without risks.  Football is one of the riskier sports, but it also the most high profile, funnest things to do on the planet for some people. Right or wrong, it carries an element of community pride in many areas of the country.  It provides a chance for glory.  It offers many benefits. Very few players suffer long-term, life-altering injuries from concussions.  Most people I know my age (55) and older who played for years somehow still manage to remember what we had for breakfast this morning.  I don't know if I want my son playing MLB in the NFL, but if he earns a college scholarship or wants to walk on somewhere, I'll be happy for him.  That doesn't mean his mom and I won't worry about him, but he'll be doing what he loves to do with our blessing.

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on May 09, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
I would absolutely let my kid play football. I played football since the age of 6 years old all the way through college. I played OL/DL in HS and OL in college. I never had a serious injury. The worst injury I ever had was bruised ribs and turf toe. Now that I'm 29 and I'm done with the game I do have terrible tendonitis in my knees and shoulder. When youre a kid you dont care about being safe or when you love something you don't care about it hurting you in the long run. I currently live in Dallas and before I started teaching and coaching here I worked for Baylor Orthopedics and our doctors saw hs, college, and professionally athletes as well as regular people. I will just say that 98 percent of our patients weren't football players. Its a dangerous world we live in and anything can cause a injury. I wont treat my child like the boy in the bubble.

No one is saying all football players end up with severe injuries. But, football does have more major injuries than any other sport. It also has more, and longer lasting effect from, head trauma. Much of which is just now being brought to light. I never played a down of football, and at 47 I have a torn up left shoulder from golf, a bad knee and bad ankle from HS basketball, and a bad elbow from throwing bp to my kids baseball teams for the last 12 years.

To me, the op's question is about weighing all the factors the adults in a kids life know about things against the kids desire to play. If the kid really wants to play the game, let them play. If they just want to be part of the team, be with their friends, but they are not really into the game itself, then no, they should not play ( for reasons other than just potential injury ). And they should never be forced to play, however the part of the post below plays into many kids being made to play:

Quote from: code red on May 09, 2017, 12:42:52 pm
  Football...means more to a community than just a  game.  Friday nights in Arkansas are an institution. 

When town pride is tied to the efforts of 15-18 yr old kids, we have a much larger issue.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 01:10:53 pm
They should never be forced to play, however the part of the post below plays into many kids being made to play:

When town pride is tied to the efforts of 15-18 yr old kids, we have a much larger issue.

Of course kids should never be forced to play, but that wasn't the OP's question.  It is whether you will force your son NOT to play.

If community pride is based upon football results, or any other sports results, then we have larger issues as a society, if you cling to that belief.

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 01:21:35 pm
Of course kids should never be forced to play, but that wasn't the OP's question.  It is whether you will force your son NOT to play.

If community pride is based upon football results, or any other sports results, then we have larger issues as a society, if you cling to that belief.

i do not have issues with community pride, i do when the success of the high school football team is elevated above all else.  IE refusal to consolidate, or to expand and create a 2nd school .....

bphi11ips

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 01:24:18 pm
i do not have issues with community pride, i do when the success of the high school football team is elevated above all else.  IE refusal to consolidate, or to expand and create a 2nd school .....

I'm not aware of football driving those decisions but agree with you it certainly shouldn't.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 01:21:35 pm

It is a fine line though, and as I said I did it with my older son and baseball. I never ordered him to play, But I would say things like, " Oh right now you don't want to play, but once the season starts you'll be sad if you don't " or a dozen other ways I tried to make him think he wanted to play.

Trust me, there are many towns where the football teams means EVERYTHING.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 01:28:45 pm

Trust me, there are many towns where the football teams means EVERYTHING.
And states!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pigsfeat on May 09, 2017, 01:32:44 pm
And states!

And cities!  Been that way for thousands of years.  When humans lose their competitive nature that will change.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 01:41:36 pm
And cities!  Been that way for thousands of years.  When humans lose their competitive nature that will change.
I agree! I wear my Razorback gear as well as the local HS gear where my kids played.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 01:26:51 pm
I'm not aware of football driving those decisions but agree with you it certainly shouldn't.

why do you think Bentonville only has one high school ? while Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville have all expanded to additional schools and/or campus's

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 09:44:41 am

In places like that, sports are seen as one of a very small number of ways to get out, especially when it comes to colleges.

An average student in a good, affluent area has way more opportunities in front of them than an average student from a poor area.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 01:50:12 pm
why do you think Bentonville only has one high school ? while Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville have all expanded to additional schools and/or campus's

I don't know. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. If football is the driving force blocking decisions that benefit education, that is a bad thing.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 02:11:13 pm
I don't know. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. If football is the driving force blocking decisions that benefit education, that is a bad thing.

Well, it is in many cities in Ar. Last year in Fort Smith a plan for a 3rd HS was announced. The 1st public complaints all had to do with what it would do to the athletics at the two existing schools.

ricepig

Quote from: 311Hog on May 09, 2017, 01:50:12 pm

Bentonville has two high schools, Bentonville and Bentonville West.

311Hog

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2017, 03:10:44 pm
Bentonville has two high schools, Bentonville and Bentonville West.

Oh this school was built last year?  i knew they couldn't keep from adding at least another campus for to much longer they were bulging at the seams with kids

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 09, 2017, 03:07:43 pm
Well, it is in many cities in Ar. Last year in Fort Smith a plan for a 3rd HS was announced. The 1st public complaints all had to do with what it would do to the athletics at the two existing schools.

I've heard that concern expressed here when new schools are built or rezoning takes place.  Nashville is exploding.  At least 3 new high schools have been built in our district in the last 10 years, but football is as competive as ever on a statewide basis.  I have a hard time believing football is the end all for administrators and commissioners in most cases.

I have read here many times that the number one problem with Arkansas high school football is too many school districts that are perpetuated by administrators protecting their turf. 

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2017, 03:28:55 pm
I've heard that concern expressed here when new schools are built or rezoning takes place.  Nashville is exploding.  At least 3 new high schools have been built in our district in the last 10 years, but football is as competive as ever on a statewide basis.  I have a hard time believing football is the end all for administrators and commissioners in most cases.

I have read here many times that the number one problem with Arkansas high school football is too many school districts that are perpetuated by administrators protecting their turf. 

Arkansas is just different then other places.  Each city is largely represented by one school (or at least was) and it was as you said very "nationalist/territorial".  When these towns grew the residents did what they could to prohibit the building of a 2nd school (or the opposite town shrinks because industry leaves or what not or they were just tiny to begin with and do not want to bus kids to some other place) because it almost always meant a down turn in the athletic performance of both schools, divide the fan base, player base etc. etc. 

Arkansas follows this behavior right up into the fandom for the Hogs.  They do not want another school competing for the very limited resources.