Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball in heaven?

Started by HogShat, July 25, 2017, 12:24:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogShat

A few weeks ago a really good friend of mine lost his 14 year old son, Miguel, in an ATV accident. Great kid, had the world in front of him. Heckuva good baseball player. I coached with his dad in youth football for 4 years. My heart broke for him.

We were talking in Sunday school that following week about what we thought heaven would be like. My mind began to drift and I thought of Miguel, and my old baseball coach from the Arkansas Pulpwood days Johnny Dawson who passed from cancer a few years ago. I thought of Doug Smith who was his employee/assistant coach, turned Razorback Timber founder/rival, who was killed in a wreck on his way home from Felsenthal duck hunting. I began to think of many other young men from our community, and other coaches as well, whom we had the joy of either playing with, or watching play, or that we were coached or otherwise impacted by. Anyway the words just began to flow out of my heart. I shed many a tear writing this, and was literally terrified to share it for fear that I would upset someone or that I had left someone from the community out. It has been received by the families of these guys way better than I could have ever dreamed. Hope you enjoy...

In loving memory of my buddy Miguel Fuentes, and other great teammates, players and coaches from our community...

"Baseball in Heaven?"

Is there baseball in heaven? Man I don't know. If there was I think the bible would have told us so.

But wait just a second, allow me to bend the meaning. Genesis does start out, in the "big inning!"

There'd be no corked or shaved bats, no baked or restitched balls. The strike zone is a mile wide and they never miss a call.

Games never get rained out, Sunday hops are the norm. And every fly ball is a big can of corn.

So just let your mind wander, like when you were a kid, when the grass seemed much greener and the field was so big.

To see Lou Gehrig at the plate, wouldn't that be a sight. He was struck down by illness in the prime of life.

Carter, Gwynn, and Puckett all gone way too soon, Mantle, Stargell and Drysdale, even "Catfish" Hunter too.

They were at the top of the class, the best at what they did. All Hall of Famers, the elite of the "Bigs".

But think for a minute of players who never reached fame. Local boys, hometown heroes who loved baseball just the same.

Imagine Dawson and Doug, on the field together again! If you grew up in the era I did, that would have to make you grin.

A Pulpwood team in Heaven? Man wouldn't that be great! Warming up on the streets of gold, hitting bombs off the pearly gates!

Billy Rhodes and Silas Hindman oversee how it's run, and Coach Clifton Robertson who led Coca Cola to 124 and 1.

Brent Kingery, Kelvin Johnson, Blake Garcia, just to name a few. Big Jake Porter and Roger "Lil Buck" Smith, my Pulpwood teammate too.

Tyler Whitley, Zach Hooper, Justin Arnold and Chad Gibbs. What a team that would be, what a great group of kids.

That's 9 in the field but no one at the plate. They needed a hitter and it was beginning to get late.

Who is that over there? someone asked from the mound. The kid toeing the dirt and staring at the ground.

I guess its the new guy that's who it must be. He's got on a jersey that says #3.

Johnny steps around the corner, from the dugout, says this is the guy I was telling y'all about.

I watched him climb thru the ranks for quite a while. A great glove at first and an infectious smile.

He stepped on to the field and gave his hat a tip. Said my names Miguel Fuentes but y'all can call me "Bean Dip".

I'd rather be playing with my team down below, but I guess this is what they call the "big show".

I can play both corners, pitch and catch too. Just tell me where you need me and that's what I'll do.

I never dreamed a year ago when I asked Christ into my heart, that there would be baseball in heaven and I'd be getting my first start.

So you guys be patient with me if I seem a little sad. I'm used to looking down to third taking signs from my dad.

He raised me up right, taught me about baseball and about life. And how to work hard and push through during struggles and strife.

But now y'all are my teammates, my boys my crew. I've got your back and y'all have mine too.

So let's get this game started, we are ready for the call, for the ump to yell out "God Bless and Play Ball!!"

So is there baseball in heaven? I guess we will find out in time. But if there is you can bet, I'll be pitching and wearing #9...

Mark Shatley
Pulpwood '87-'88

AirWarren

Thanks for sharing. I remember reading the story regarding that young man passing away.

DLUXHOG

If God hasn't thought of, or invented, something better, there will be baseball in heaven.....  guaranteed.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

gutshot

Thanks for sharing, Shat.  I grew up with Martin (we called him Beanie in school)...we were teammates from little league all the way up through the ranks.  I haven't seen him in a few years, but I was heartbroken to hear about his loss.  I never met Miguel, but if he was half as good of a dude as his Daddy, then they have a hall of fame teammate on that squad.

RagingHawgOn

Very good, thanks for sharing. 

I have no doubt we'll play ball in heaven.