Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gene Chizik on the Morris Hire

Started by DukeOfPork, December 07, 2017, 02:00:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:02:03 pm
Homework? Why? It is much easier to just whine about not getting the guy you wanted, and make up all kinds of darn about why Morris will not succeed.
You must really hate the human race...get some help.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bythelake

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 04:28:18 pm
emotion.  once people get over the disappointment that we didn't get who they want, they will start accepting who we got.  there was no certainty with any of the candidates.  we can only hope for the best.

I'm not going to blindly drink the koolaid though, and ignore the reality that Morris has a lot to prove.

that starts with hiring a good DC, and signing a good class in Dec/Feb

Proof is in the pudding, no koolaid needed.

That's fair and sensible.  Good post.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 07, 2017, 03:13:22 pm
Has Chizik ever recruited before without having a suitcase of money with him?

Prolly Texas.

He was Mack Brown's DC during their BCS NCG win.
This is my non-signature signature.

HogT

Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

Tusks

Look at what happened to North Carolina after Cheesdip left this season.

He's a really good DC.  It would help to get coaches like that into the program.  It would be nice to have a few rings on some fingers when recruiting defense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ballz2thewall

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 07, 2017, 02:16:38 pm
Chizik's tweet sounded a whole lot like Bielema writing a letter to Jeff Long.

He was probably just stating his opinion, but I'd love it if he was inviting interest from Morris.

off topic, but i enjoy chizik in the media. he does a good job in my opinion.
The rest of the frog.

Billy Bats

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 07, 2017, 07:28:09 pm
off topic, but i enjoy chizik in the media. he does a good job in my opinion.

Agreed.  His sideburns are way too short though.  Bothers me.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 02:35:05 pm
yeah, but I think this class is critical too.  Petrino had the Warren 4 + adams in his first year, which built the foundation for his success.  I think it is key for Morris to get Bohanon and/or an elite QB athlete that can take his offense to the next level.

i agree re bonanon or similarly styled qb. go GET one, man.
The rest of the frog.

JONAS

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 07, 2017, 04:01:14 pm
Don't forget that HdN had NOT offered Tyler Wilson.  BP's first offer was to Tyler.  That was another huge get in that class.

You are correct.  Wasn't Tyler going to Tulsa?

B Ray

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 04:31:15 pm
his defense at SMU was ranked 121

true. but defense is where smu being so down, and academically restrictive really hurt them, particularly on the DL. it's just difficult to get any respectable size combined with talent, that can make the grades.

tcu's OL was 50 lb.s per man bigger than smu's DL. and against aac foes, it would still take time get get players to compete.
The rest of the frog.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:02:03 pm
Homework? Why? It is much easier to just whine about not getting the guy you wanted, and make up all kinds of darn about why Morris will not succeed.
Malzahn was fake news and some people on here believed the baloney. Malzahn would have been a divide the fanbase hire. However it was never going to happen. Kansas Jayhawks football program had a better chance to make the CFP than Malzahn becoming the Arkansas coach.

East Clintwood

Quote from: The Kig on December 07, 2017, 02:17:44 pm
Are you just as irritated at the posters who insist that he will be awesome, despite not having coached a game or just those who don't think he will be awesome, despite not having coached a game?  Most of both ends of the spectrum are complete horse darn.  He will prove one side or the other right.

Neither.  He's just irritated by posters in general, no matter what their position on a subject.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hogsfan1981

I'm right there with you. I was mad but after a couple of days I'm coming around. He is our coach now. The players meeting was impressive and he seems hungry. Time will tell but I'll cheer for him.

I'll really be drinking the koolaid if the DC hire is good.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 02:12:34 pm
People will come around, venting frustration is part of the process.  I was one of those that absolutely hated the hire at first, mostly because I couldn't understand the decision making process that led to it.  I've since had time to process it and have moved my  position from pure unadulterated hatred to skeptical.

Its obvious we missed on our first choice, norvell didn't pass the vetting process, Kiffin can't be controlled, and venables is HC in waiting at Clemson.  that ultimately leaves us with Morris. 

It is what it is.  Morris brings an elite offensive mind, but bottom of the barrel defense.  If he can hire a good DC, then we have a chance to succeed.

nothing let to do but wait and see.  maybe gleen some hints from spring practice.  see how well he fills out the recruiting class.  cough cough bohanon  etc

And it ALWAYS "Is what it Is"..!!! Unless it's a conspiracy! That's where the stupid comes out of people... "They didn't hire my Mikey!! Burn some couches.!!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 07, 2017, 08:18:16 pm
I'm right there with you. I was mad but after a couple of days I'm coming around. He is our coach now. The players meeting was impressive and he seems hungry. Time will tell but I'll cheer for him.

I'll really be drinking the koolaid if the DC hire is good.

Sorry... All outta Koolaid Bitch.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

carolinahogger

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 07, 2017, 04:17:45 pm
In another thread I pointed out CCB said in his team meeting he planned on bringing the best DC in the country on board.  ??????

This. We've heard this same spill over and over. Motivational speak, gonna win championships, gonna be the best, yadda yadda.

Nutt said it, Beilema said it. Im not buying it anymore. This coach is going to have to prove it.

And he will ultimately fail unless he gets a top10 defensive coach. BUT....if he does......we may be on to something.

hawgette92

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 07, 2017, 03:15:30 pm
Not a Chizik fan for DC or towel boy. Was a disastrous coach at Auburn. But I agree with his general analysis.

Chizik was a damn good DC...but he's retired for now and he wouldn't uproot his family to Arkansas.  His son is playing high school ball at Auburn High and his daughters are in school there.  Left North Carolina because he wanted to spend this time with his family. 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: hawgette92 on December 07, 2017, 09:36:01 pm
Chizik was a damn good DC...but he's retired for now and he wouldn't uproot his family to Arkansas.  His son is playing high school ball at Auburn High and his daughters are in school there.  Left North Carolina because he wanted to spend this time with his family.

Ouch. Good info. Can cross his name off the list then.

Chavis maybe??

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 02:03:09 pm
I don't think you can fault people for being skeptical.  Morris has a lot to prove.
No more or less than all the other coaches we were after.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/