Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 SEC Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, June 15, 2015, 07:10:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns 10h10 hours ago

At midnight, college basketball coaches can begin contacting 2017 prospects. Should be quite a few phones buzzing tonight.

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 9h9 hours ago

Been doing this a decade now, never once had a kid say "I committed because the coach called me at midnight the first day he was allowed"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Porter Jr. is the No. 2 player in the class of 2017

He cut his list to 17 schools.

Michael Porter Jr. ‏@m1chael_porter

I want to thank the schools who've been involved in my recruitment, these are the 17 I'm going to move forward with!
9:17 PM - 14 Jun 2015 · Missouri, USA, United States

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

revolution

Quote from: jbcarol on June 15, 2015, 11:25:43 am

I want to thank the schools who've been involved in my recruitment, these are the 17 I'm going to move forward with!

Wow!  We couldn't even make this guy's Top 17?  Would we have been on the list if he had 18?  What is the significance of the #17?  Does that mean he's going to re-classify to 2017?  And then since we're probably #18, we'll be on the list?

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 15, 2015, 11:25:43 am

Quote...as of 12:00 a.m. on Monday morning, college coaches were officially allowed to call prospects in the 2017 class, and Porter's list was nothing more than an effort to try and limit just how much battery his phone would waste buzzing from coaches reaching out through the night and morning.

"Didn't want to cut any of them so early," Porter tweeted. "Just wanted to put something out there before 12 tonight."

Porter should know how college basketball recruiting works. His father, Michael Sr., is an assistant for the Missouri women's team, where his boss is his wife's sister.

Porter's younger siblings run the Shaved Ice stand in Columbia.

jbcarol

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerHoops 7h7 hours ago

Busy day for 2017 C Austin Wiley (@__Austinwiley50). Heard from Auburn, Alabama, UAB, Miss St., Kansas, Duke & Georgia

Schools that contacted 2017 PF Alex Reese today: Kansas, Vandy, Alabama, Auburn, Kansas St, UAB, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Nevada & Texas

jbcarol

Taylor County point guard David Sloan earned a scholarship offer from the University of Louisville on Monday.

Sloan — a 6-foot prospect in the class of 2017 — already had offers from Missouri, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Wright State and Samford.

QuoteLouisville has also offered Taylor County guard Quentin Goodin, a top 100 player in the class of 2016.

Sloan and Goodin led Taylor County to a 5th Region title and the school's first Sweet Sixteen appearance in 32 years this past season.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 12h12 hours ago Charlottesville, VA

Often times underclassmen struggle at NBPA. Not the case for 2017 Hamidou Diallo. Arguably best guard today. Has a mid-range game. Athlete.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 12h12 hours ago

Five-star 2017 center Zach Brown [Band] says he got an offer from Kentucky today.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 2h2 hours ago

One more: Unanimous No. 1 overall recruit in 2017, DeAndre Ayton, talks UK offer and rep with NBA guys, big men: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/06/18/no-1-recruit-in-2017-ayton-likes-uk/28945759/ ...

QuoteCHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The unanimous No. 1 overall basketball recruit in the Class of 2017, 7-footer DeAndre Ayton from San Diego, recently picked up three new scholarship offers: Kentucky, Duke and Michigan State.

Ayton, who is participating in the NBPA Top 100 camp at the University of Virginia this week, also said that in the few days since college coaches could begin making direct contact, he's only heard from three: the Wildcats' John Calipari, Kansas' Bill Self and San Diego State's Steve Fisher.

Calipari called Tuesday while Ayton was in the airport traveling to camp.

"He was just saying he'd love to have me at the school and he's giving me an official offer to the University of Kentucky," said the imposing Ayton, who is 245 pounds and rated the top rising junior by Scout, Rivals, ESPN and 247Sports. "It was a good feeling, but I want more to come in. I'm working on more."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL  3h3 hours ago
Ole Miss apparently offered 7-3 rising sophomore Connor Vanover from Arkansas today. Played for U16 Team USA team. His first offer.

I was critical a little while ago of Ole Miss not always going after elite guys very early, but certainly not the case here.

Connor Vanover@Vanover_Connor
I am excited and honored to receive my first offer from @OleMissMBB!
12:33 PM - 19 Jun 2015

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats  7h7 hours ago
2017 big man Xavier Tillman says he received an offer from Kentucky earlier this week. Has visited Lexington twice already.

Xavier Tillman on new UK offer: "It took a lot of weight off my shoulders. ... Those guys are going to make sure that I make it to the NBA."

jbcarol

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 1h1 hour ago

2017 big man Austin Wiley of Alabama Challenge (AL) visited Auburn today.

jbcarol

Steve Alford is getting things done early in the Class of 2017 as he has already landed his second commitment from a rising junior.

On Sunday, 6-foot-9 center Jalen Hill pledged to UCLA.

One that got away, one slipping away:

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 14h14 hours ago East Palo Alto, CA

UCLA is the latest to offer 2017 PG @DatGuy_Trey Trevon Duval, he confirms

jbcarol

Russ Wood ‏@RussHoops 3h3 hours ago

Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, and Mississippi State are now showing  interest in 2017 The First Academy (FL) SG Chaundee Brown (@cbrownballin935)

jbcarol

Scout's Tops of 2017

Quote3. Michael Porter, Jr.  Tolton Catholic / 6'8" / 205 lbs

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 8h8 hours ago

2017 guard John Petty tells Scout who is recruiting him the hardest | Interview: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1560347-nike-academy-1-on-1-with-john-petty ...

QuoteRecruiting: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Tennessee, N.C. State

John Petty
J O Johnson HS / 6'5" / 180 lbs   Position SG Rank 3

jbcarol

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerHoops Jun 30

Alabama guys in the updated @Rivals 2017 rankings:

15) Austin Wiley
17) John Petty
49) Alex Reese
52) Jamal Johnson
99) Garrison Brooks

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 9h9 hours ago

Reached out to the top 25 prospects in 2017 to update school lists, visit information | Story: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1561373-2017-top-25-updated-lists-and-evaluations ...

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Jul 16

UA Finals: LSU commit Cedric Russell | Story: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564256-ua-finals-lsu-commit-cedric-russell ...

QuoteWith Johnny Jones and assistant David Patrick looking on, Cedric Russell, a 2017 LSU commit, put on a heck of an offensive performance on Thursday against Team Thad 16's at the Under Armour Finals.

Playing for Louisiana Elite 16's, Russell, a 6-foot-2 guard, shot the ball with confidence from the behind the three-point stripe. The book recorded Russell with three threes, but myself and others sitting courtside charted him for six...

A quick and aggressive guard, Russell also kept defenders off balance with his pure speed and tricky handle. He rotated on and off the ball with teammate Josh Anderson and showed he could be effective with or without the ball primarily in his hands. He also impressed in transition, not only scoring at the rim, but also with his vision and ability to find teammates.

Russell is a quality early pick up for the Tigers, but Jones and his staff aren't done recruiting from the Louisiana Elite team. They are also heavily involved with Anderson, a 6-foot-5 athletic wing, and 2017 forward Galen Alexander.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11h11 hours ago

Mohammed Bamba Finds Kentucky Appealing, Wants Offer From Duke http://zagsblog.com/articles/mohammed-bamba-finds-kentucky-appealing-wants-offer-from-duke/ ...

QuoteWhen the 6-foot-11 2017 star out of Westtown (Pa.) School and the PSA Cardinals sees former Kentucky forwards like Karl-Anthony Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein having big years and going to the NBA Draft, he imagines himself doing the same thing.

"What's appealing is the guys who went to Kentucky that are sort of like me," Bamba said at Battle of the Borders Wednesday evening at Burlington City High School. "The stretch four, a 6-11 shot-blocker. What's appealing is how those guys can have a really effective year and go right to the league."

Dakari Johnson and Julius Randle are two more recent examples of John Calipari-coached players to not do four years in Lexington, but have a productive year or two and go on to be a millionaire.

As Bamba's recruitment continues to take shape, Wildcats assistant coach John Robic watched Bamba here on Wednesday. That came four days after Calipari and assistant coach Tony Barbee watched Bamba at the PSA Cardinals-Albany City Rocks combine in Springfield, Mass, according to PSA Cardinals coach Terrence 'Munch' Williams.

"As far as the schools that came for Mohammed, I'm not exactly sure because there were so many schools, but obviously he has a ton of offers," Williams told SNY.tv. "Maryland was there, UConn, St. John's, Villanova, Kentucky came by to watch a couple of games...

jbcarol

JayhawkSlant ‏@JayhawkSlant Jul 23

Michael Porter just said he'll be in Lawrence for Late Night in the Phog. #kubball Shay

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Jul 29

Tennessee is the latest to offer 2017 forward Wyatt Wilkes, per his coach Anthony Rick.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Danny Jones ‏@daniel_m_jones 26m26 minutes ago

In BB recruiting news, Tolton's @JontayPorter (Class of 2018) verbally committed to Washington this afternoon: http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/prep_rally/tolton-power-forward-jontay-porter-commits-to-washington/article_6b7d0c03-78d1-514d-88a9-432d8d27cf2e.html ...

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 14h14 hours ago

High School Transfer List (Updates w/ Carlos Johnson to Findlay Prep)
http://zagsblog.com/articles/high-profile-high-school-transfers/ ...

QuoteRawle Alkins    TBD    Old School: Christ the King (N.Y.)

Matt Coleman    Oak Hill Academy (VA)    Old School: Norfolk (VA) Maury

Andre Rafus     Roselle (N.J.) Catholic    Old School: Baltimore (MD) St. Frances

Malik Zachery     St. Benedict's Prep (N.J.)    Old School: Nottingham (N.Y.)

Joey St. Pierre     La Lumiere (IN)    Old School: Richmond-Burton (IL)    

Tyger Campbell     La Lumiere (IN)    Old School: Nashville (TN) C.P.A.

Markus Howard     Findlay Prep (NV)    Old School: Perry (AZ)

Tristan Clark     Findlay Prep (NV)    Old School: Judson (TX)

Carlos Johnson     Findlay Prep (NV)    Old School: El Cerrito (CA)

jbcarol

Steve Jones ‏@SteveJones_CJ 1h1 hour ago

Taylor County 2017 PG David Sloan unofficially visiting Louisville, where he has an offer, later today http://cjky.it/1N8YwdE

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 5h5 hours ago

2017 F Michael Porter is currently taking an unofficial visit to Virginia, source told @CBSSports. One of top players in junior class.

jbcarol

Michael Porter Jr.
‏@m1chael_porter

Excited to cut my list to 10! I Appreciate all of the other schools who have invested their time in recruiting me.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 3h3 hours ago

Elite 2017 SF Michael Porter says he thinks he will stop by Kentucky for an unofficial visit on Sunday. Says not quite a done deal, though

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 05, 2015, 09:37:31 pm
Michael Porter Jr.
‏@m1chael_porter

Excited to cut my list to 10! I Appreciate all of the other schools who have invested their time in recruiting me.

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik Aug 5

Steve Walentik retweeted Michael Porter Jr.

#Mizzou remains in hunt for Tolton star and one of nation's top 2017 recruits.

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik Aug 2

Steve Walentik retweeted Jontay Porter

Tolton Catholic rising sophomore and younger brother of 2017 standout Michael Porter makes early college pledge.

Jontay Porter
‏@JontayPorter

I'm making my verbal commitment to the University of Washington! #GoHuskies

jbcarol

Connor Vanover ‏@Vanover_Connor  3h3 hours ago
Excited to receive my 4th offer today from @VandyMBB after an unofficial visit. Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, and now Vandy have offered me.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/635789831675756544

Quote6-foot-8 2017 forward out of Columbia (MO) Father Tolton recently cut his list to 10 schools: Washington, Duke, Missouri, Stanford, Kentucky, UCLA, Syracuse, Indiana, Kansas and Virginia.

But he says five of those are working the hardest.

"Definitely Washington, Virginia, Mizzou, Duke and Kansas are probably working the hardest right now," he said.

Porter's younger brother, Jontay, recently committed to Washington, who are coached by Michael's Godfather, Lorenzo Romar.

Washington also picked up a pledge Friday night from 2016 combo guard Markelle Fultz...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  5h5 hours ago
A couple years ago, John Calipari was easily most feared recruiter in country. Now Coach K has made it a tough question to answer.

jbcarol

Richard Davenport ‏@ArRecruitingGuy 10h10 hours ago

Thursday recruiting tidbits: Two Arkansans are among the best basketball prospects in the nation, according to ESPN. http://bit.ly/1JQtjIW

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 16h16 hours ago

Canadian big man to visit Florida - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13205/canadian-big-man-to-visit-florida/ ... (via #sociablesite) http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13205/canadian-big-man-to-visit-florida/ ...

QuoteEddie Ekiyor, a 6-9, 220-pound four-star forward from Ottawa, Canada, will vist the UF campus the weekend of the Tennessee game (Sept. 25-27).

Ekiyor is re-classifying to enroll in January of 2016, but wouldn't be eligible to begin practicing until May and begin playing until the 2016-17 season...

2016 UF combo guard commit Eric Hester is visiting this weekend, along with 6-7, 240-pound 2016 combo forward Tyler Cook...

jbcarol

Fun Fax:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Sep 3

Of the top 25 players at each position in the 2017 class (125 total), only eight are currently committed. Early commitments are fading.

jbcarol

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerHoops 4h4 hours ago

2017 Spain Park (AL) guard Jamal Johnson is at Ole Miss today for an unofficial visit

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 21h21 hours ago

The Recruiting Period begins [today], which means college coaches can begin in-home visits & watch workouts.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 2h2 hours ago

DeAndre Ayton drops to #4 in the new Rivals rankings for 2017. 1. Wendell Carter, 2. Trevon Duval, 3. Michael Porter https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-3574 ...

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 10m10 minutes ago

Mississippi State met with 4-star 2017 Velma Jackson guard Nik Weatherspoon this morning. Picked up a Memphis offer yesterday.

nick.gotti ‏@quavo_mxbb 1m1 minute ago

Had a good workout this Morning with Mississippi State 🐶

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 15h15 hours ago

The best shot blocker in high school basketball -- Ike Obiagu -- had Connecticut, Florida and Missouri in to see him today.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ikechukwu-obiagu

Green Forest

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels Sep 12

2017 PG Jay Jay Chandler is taking an unofficial visit to Texas A&M today, per a source.