Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BWA Renovations...

Started by #1HogFanForLife, March 19, 2014, 12:46:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1HogFanForLife

:razorback:quick question.... anyone know when they start on Renovating BWA ???

Scuderia

I would guess within 2 yrs after Academic and Practice facilities are done. The renderings look nice and are much needed.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Scuderia on March 19, 2014, 02:01:41 pm
I would guess within 2 yrs after Academic and Practice facilities are done. The renderings look nice and are much needed.
Is the current plan still to decrease capacity? I am not a fan of that idea. You have to assume the program is going to be better in five years than it is now, and even now when support is not bursting at the seams, the place gets filled up a couple of times per year.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Break & Run

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on March 19, 2014, 03:18:54 pm
Is the current plan still to decrease capacity? I am not a fan of that idea. You have to assume the program is going to be better in five years than it is now, and even now when support is not bursting at the seams, the place gets filled up a couple of times per year.

At least we're not planning on building a new arena and decreasing the capacity like Auburn did.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on March 19, 2014, 03:18:54 pm

The problems with your post:

1.  When renovations occur in basketball, in a permanent structure (like the Bud and Rupp Arena—two that I know of in the SEC), it is not to raise the roof and expand upward.  It's to make it better for the monied classes who will buy boxes, and to generally improve concessions, lighting, signage, etc. and other facilities within the existing building, and

2.  ADs don't really care about the average fan...

An old hog fanatic

2.  ADs don't really care about the average fan...
[/quote]

Until those "average fans" quit buying tickets. Amazing how that works.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

The_Iceman

Of course, all of this is subject to change/modifications:

The_Iceman

I personally would rather see us take seats out of the upper deck instead of the lower level, similar to Tennessee:

Break & Run

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2014, 01:19:49 pm
I personally would rather see us take seats out of the upper deck instead of the lower level, similar to Tennessee:

I love the way Tennessee did that.  Wish we'd do similar things.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Break & Run on March 20, 2014, 01:25:47 pm
I love the way Tennessee did that.  Wish we'd do similar things.

It is impressive and a good revenue generator. It actually didn't lower capacity that much either when they renovated and added the suites/Loge seating:

21,678 (2007-present)
24,535 (1987-2007)

Those Loge type seats are great! I've sat in them in the FedEx Forum in Memphis and they are the best imho.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

For the 20+ season Barnhill and BWA had waiting lists, "average fans" didn't make up much of the crowds.  For the current era which includes tv saturation, reducing capacity is a great idea.  It's the NFL model.  Create a sense of urgency to buy tickets.  When you consistently sell out, donations go up in order to ensure getting tickets which increases revenue.  Average fans will be pushed down the list.  But this is nothing new to our program.  If the reduction includes the right mix of premium seating, revenue could really go up.  And the atmosphere may get better as well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2014, 04:51:56 pm
For the 20+ season Barnhill and BWA had waiting lists, "average fans" didn't make up much of the crowds.  For the current era which includes tv saturation, reducing capacity is a great idea.  It's the NFL model.  Create a sense of urgency to buy tickets.  When you consistently sell out, donations go up in order to ensure getting tickets which increases revenue.  Average fans will be pushed down the list.  But this is nothing new to our program.  If the reduction includes the right mix of premium seating, revenue could really go up.  And the atmosphere may get better as well.
Great points. Yes.

brenthog

I don't see upper deck seating in the rendering?

The_Iceman

Quote from: brenthog on March 20, 2014, 06:25:44 pm
I don't see upper deck seating in the rendering?

Its only showing first level improvements. If they were to do loge seating in the upper desk, then they would have another picture showing that.

3kgthog

To my knowledge they won't be adding any general seating. They'll be yanking out those top rows in some spots of the lower bowl and replacing them with boxes for Arvest and Walmart types to entertain and be seen.

I'd settle for them just washing the mildew off the roof.

FaytownHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2014, 01:16:31 pm
Of course, all of this is subject to change/modifications:

After seeing what Kentucky is going to do, this looks rather bland.

LRHawg

Yeah but isn't the city of Lexington having to foot the bill?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRHawg on March 21, 2014, 10:02:45 am
Yeah but isn't the city of Lexington having to foot the bill?

At Rupp? I bet you are correct. The U of KY doesn't own Rupp. It isn't even on the campus. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they are putting up some of the money though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ICEman

Quote from: FaytownHog on March 20, 2014, 08:20:37 pm
On campus facilities normally have to blend architecturally with their respective environs.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

The_Iceman

Quote from: FaytownHog on March 20, 2014, 08:20:37 pm

Kentucky's arena is not an on-campus arena. It is similar to Verizon Arena or the Fed-Ex forum where it is a city owned venue.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ICEman on March 21, 2014, 10:10:10 am
On campus facilities normally have to blend architecturally with their respective environs.

I think we have a very diverse campus architecturally. I'm not a fan of most campuses "bland" every building has a similar look or facade architecture. One exception is CU in Boulder.

FaytownHog

Quote from: ICEman on March 21, 2014, 10:10:10 am
The new football facility has a more modern look to it while still keeping that same red brick look. Hopefully they'll tweak the rendering on BWA by the time that rolls around in a couple years or more.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FaytownHog on March 21, 2014, 12:09:54 pm
The new football facility has a more modern look to it while still keeping that same red brick look. Hopefully they'll tweak the rendering on BWA by the time that rolls around in a couple years or more.

Good post. It is the newest good example of our diverse campus architecture.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2014, 01:18:15 pm
Good post. It is the newest good example of our diverse campus architecture.
Like the addition to the Architecture building, the old part looks the same when I was there in the 70's, the new addition, is well, newer.....