Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scout: highly rated JUCO guard Desmond Lee high on razorbacks... any insider news?

Started by dsims2k3, February 18, 2013, 05:42:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Tim Harris

Nothing major IMO. They have been out to see him play 5 times and are hoping to sign him.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

mhuff

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 18, 2013, 05:48:37 pm
This probably means "good bye" to Dee Wagoner.

UU, I don't think his head is on the chopping block. Last time I looked his stats were pretty good. We add by subtraction....I dk......just depends on the quality of players we can reruit.

Hogg_Phan

Was said on a radio show that Lee was only expected to come here if BJ leaves for the NBA. But Lee stated that the coaches have said he would play the point and BJ the wing and they would both have the ball in their hands alot. The guy on the radio still believes BJ is leaving and that it is probably between us and NC State and maybe another team he didn't name.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

HawgAdvocate

Illinois, NC State, and Baylor are all heavily involved as well, among others.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

razorhead94

There's the point guard everybody has been clamoring for.  Interesting to see what happens down the stretch.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Swinesong1

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 18, 2013, 06:44:37 pm
There's the point guard everybody has been clamoring for.  Interesting to see what happens down the stretch.
Woud love to have him but from looking at his vdeo, he's not a PG.  He's a scorer and shooter first.

onebadrubi

If BJ and Powell leave their spots are filled by Portis and Kingsley... attrition must take place to open another spot, correct?

The_Iceman

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 18, 2013, 07:28:20 pm
If BJ and Powell leave their spots are filled by Portis and Kingsley... attrition must take place to open another spot, correct?

False.

1. Clarke
2. Wade
3. Scott
4. Harris
5. Madden
6. Mickelson
7. Bell
8. Wagner
9. Qualls
10. Williams
11. Portis
12. Kingsley

If both Young and Powell go pro, we will have room for a Desmond Lee or Elgin Cook type player.

whosiskid

Don't we have room for Portis and Moses regardless of whatever BJ and Powell do? Wouldn't we have a 3rd spot if one turned pro?

I personally think BJ needs another year in college but if he thinks he'll get drafted in the first round (which I'm not sure is a certain thing) then he'll declare.

But I think Powell going pro would open a spot for Lee. Otherwise how could both Portis and Moses have signed early commitment papers?
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Spider-Pig

Quote from: whosiskid on February 18, 2013, 11:27:21 pm
Don't we have room for Portis and Moses regardless of whatever BJ and Powell do? Wouldn't we have a 3rd spot if one turned pro?

I personally think BJ needs another year in college but if he thinks he'll get drafted in the first round (which I'm not sure is a certain thing) then he'll declare.

But I think Powell going pro would open a spot for Lee. Otherwise how could both Portis and Moses have signed early commitment papers?

If Powell and bj both come back, we would be one over, but if they both leave we would have an open scholarship.  So at the moment we technically are one over but Powell is gone most likely and bj too

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: whosiskid on February 18, 2013, 11:27:21 pm

If Powell and BJ both leave then we would have a spot open for Lee. If only one of them leaves we won't have a spot open for him.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2013, 07:38:43 pm
False.

1. Clarke
2. Wade
3. Scott
4. Harris
5. Madden
6. Mickelson
7. Bell
8. Wagner
9. Qualls
10. Williams
11. Portis
12. Kingsley

If both Young and Powell go pro, we will have room for a Desmond Lee or Elgin Cook type player.

Gulley?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

whosiskid

So if Powell and BJ return we would have to take someone's scholarship away to make room for Moses and Portis?
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Kevin

One or more are leaving after the season.  That is why the are still recruiting for this class.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CDBHawg

Quote from: whosiskid on February 19, 2013, 06:46:08 am
So if Powell and BJ return we would have to take someone's scholarship away to make room for Moses and Portis?

Yep. We have 12 scholarship players and zero Seniors. A team is only allowed thirteen. As of now, we have fourteen accounted for next year.

hawgwatcher

Man we really need someone that can shoot the three with accuracy.  Al Dillard, Scotty Thurman, Lee Mayberry, Pat Bradley, Pookie or Clint McDaniel got any nephews that could walk on? I was looking at their 3pt accuracy and it was all around 34-40% for their careers.  Plus they were some of my favorite players  ;)

Just a thought...guess my age is showing, but sure would like someone that could stroke that 3 and take some pressure off the offense when the defense goes to zone. 
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawgwatcher on February 19, 2013, 10:14:05 am
Man we really need someone that can shoot the three with accuracy.  Al Dillard, Scotty Thurman, Lee Mayberry, Pat Bradley, Pookie or Clint McDaniel got any nephews that could walk on? I was looking at their 3pt accuracy and it was all around 34-40% for their careers.  Plus they were some of my favorite players  ;)

Just a thought...guess my age is showing, but sure would like someone that could stroke that 3 and take some pressure off the offense when the defense goes to zone. 

Looked up Modica. His Senior year he shot 35%, but shot five 3's a game. That's not too bad for a big guy like him who scored in many different ways.

What surprised me most about modica was he only had 7 blocked shots his entire career! I thought for a guy that athletic he would have had more.

hawgwatcher

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2013, 10:20:19 am
Looked up Modica. His Senior year he shot 35%, but shot five 3's a game. That's not too bad for a big guy like him who scored in many different ways.

What surprised me most about modica was he only had 7 blocked shots his entire career! I thought for a guy that athletic he would have had more.

He was one of my favorite players...always did whatever was needed.  If not mistaken he was one of a few that carried that team his SR year.  Just going from memory as I don't have time to look it up, but seems he did everything that year and without him we would have been in a world of hurt.
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

Breems

Quote from: whosiskid on February 19, 2013, 06:46:08 am

There is absolutely no way Marshawn returns. He's proven himself more than worthy of playing for money, and most folks don't turn that down. He even said after the Florida game that he was glad we won because he wanted to "leave with a good impression."

BJ is having a stellar run to end the season and will probably head out also.

The only way we keep one of those guys is extreme school spirit or the desire to make a deep run in the tournament.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mhuff

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 19, 2013, 12:17:22 am
If Powell and bj both come back, we would be one over, but if they both leave we would have an open scholarship.  So at the moment we technically are one over but Powell is gone most likely and bj too

Don't know this for 100% sure ,but it was reported on here that Henderson was given a schollie. If so, I am sure that it was only temporary..... empty schollie, Kikko has academic schollie., and Gulley's parents are both employees of UofA. So his tuition is almost nothing. So technically we are presently two schollies over right now.

outlawhogeywells

OnTheHillHogFan

labb

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 19, 2013, 09:08:06 pm
I say Madden and Mick are gone.  Just a gut feeling. 

There are some that seem to want Madden gone. The coaches don't seem to agree with that based on his minutes and when he is getting them. And by the way his little cousin just happens to be the Monk kid from EPC. We would need to keep Madden on scholarship if he couldn't play a lick if it gives us the inside with the Monk kid.

Pork Twain

Next year we will have the following players for sure

Name   Position   Yr
01 Bobby Portis   F   Fr
02 Moses Kingsley   C   Fr
03 Anthlon Bell   G   So.
04 Jacorey Williams   F   So.
05 Michael Qualls   G   So.
06 Rashad Madden   G   Jr.
07 Hunter Mickelson   F   Jr.
08 Alandise Harris   F   Jr.
09 Mardracus Wade   G   Sr.
10 Rickey Scott   G   Sr.
11 Coty Clarke   F   Sr.

Non-scholarship
Fred Gulley   G   Sr.
Charlie Henderson   F   Jr.
Davion Spivey   G   Jr.
Kikko Haydar   G   Sr.

This guy is a possible transfer
12 DeQuavious Wagner   G   So.

And the possibility of one or both of these guys coming back
13 BJ Young                G   Jr.
14 Marshawn Powell   F   Sr.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 19, 2013, 11:00:40 pm
???? Why would we let Mickelson our only guy above 6'8 go?
Not saying I want it to happen, just a feeling.  I love the upside to both of these guys. 

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 19, 2013, 11:00:40 pm
???? Why would we let Mickelson our only guy above 6'8 go?

Sometimes the player wants to leave.

And what good is being taller than 6'8 if you play like you're 5'8?

Frontcourt play will be our strength next season, even with B.J. Young coming, but if B.J. doesn't come back, we will be HURTING at guard. So, yeah, I don't think too many people would mind seeing Hunter transfer out to make room for a guard like this. Just makes too much sense.

Ideally, I wouldn't want anyone to transfer, but if push comes to shove.....

Dogtown Donkey

jry04

Quote from: Breems on February 19, 2013, 02:34:38 pm
There is absolutely no way Marshawn returns. He's proven himself more than worthy of playing for money, and most folks don't turn that down. He even said after the Florida game that he was glad we won because he wanted to "leave with a good impression."

BJ is having a stellar run to end the season and will probably head out also.

The only way we keep one of those guys is extreme school spirit or the desire to make a deep run in the tournament.
While I get your point, Powell probably won't get drafted unless it is late 2nd. He is looking at a career overseas at this point, in my opinion.

mhuff

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 20, 2013, 09:15:27 am
While I get your point, Powell probably won't get drafted unless it is late 2nd. He is looking at a career overseas at this point, in my opinion.

If Powell is drafted in the second round or even the third, I would expect him to go the NBA route. He has been playing well this season ,and there's still time for his stock to go up.

Swinesong1

Quote from: mhuff on February 20, 2013, 09:52:49 am
If Powell is drafted in the second round or even the third, I would expect him to go the NBA route. He has been playing well this season ,and there's still time for his stock to go up.
Well, I can guarantee he won't be drafted in the 3rd round!  :}

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 20, 2013, 09:54:28 am
Well, I can guarantee he won't be drafted in the 3rd round!  :}

Yeah, probably a 2nd or 3rd day pick at best.

Dogtown Donkey

Really showing your age there, mhuff.

;)

There hasn't been a 3rd round since the 1988 NBA Draft.

jry04

There are only 2 rounds, and the majority of the 2nd rounders struggle to make a roster spot and end up in the D-league. If you aren't a first round pick, you typically don't want to take your chances. Beverley did that instead of sitting out a year. Look how long it took him to finally find success with a team. Powell is a dominant college player right now, but he doesn't really have a position at the  next level. He definitely will struggle guarding anyone at this point. He could come back and dominate on offense again and really improve his stock.

The problem is, even then he still may end up playing overseas so he probably would be best to try his luck coming out this year.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 20, 2013, 10:46:22 am
There are only 2 rounds, and the majority of the 2nd rounders struggle to make a roster spot and end up in the D-league. If you aren't a first round pick, you typically don't want to take your chances. Beverley did that instead of sitting out a year. Look how long it took him to finally find success with a team. Powell is a dominant college player right now, but he doesn't really have a position at the  next level. He definitely will struggle guarding anyone at this point. He could come back and dominate on offense again and really improve his stock.

The problem is, even then he still may end up playing overseas so he probably would be best to try his luck coming out this year.

But it's worth noting that Powell is already 23 years, so that alone might be enough to preclude him from being a 1st round pick. He'd be 24 years old if he went into next year's draft. His age is also killing his draft stock and there's nothing that can be done about that. About the only exception I can think of is Bernard James out of FSU, who was like 27 when he got draft last summer, but he's a 6'10 big that can block shots. He has a valued skill set for the NBA.

EDIT: Miles Plumlee was a 23 year old 1st round pick last summer, but he's also 7'0, 250 with NBA athleticism for a big. And he was drafted by the Pacers, his hometown team. No other team probably takes him in the 1st.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: labb on February 20, 2013, 08:16:40 am
There are some that seem to want Madden gone. The coaches don't seem to agree with that based on his minutes and when he is getting them. And by the way his little cousin just happens to be the Monk kid from EPC. We would need to keep Madden on scholarship if he couldn't play a lick if it gives us the inside with the Monk kid.

In my opinion that shouldn't affect Monk. The current coaching staff didn't recruit Madden.

labb

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 20, 2013, 02:33:54 pm
In my opinion that shouldn't affect Monk. The current coaching staff didn't recruit Madden.
I seem to remember that the current coaching staff and Madden's little brother kept him from signing with Ole Miss

Spider-Pig

Quote from: labb on February 20, 2013, 03:11:18 pm
I seem to remember that the current coaching staff and Madden's little brother kept him from signing with Ole Miss

That wasn't monk and that was when Pel signed him.

Madden isn't going anywhere. I don't know why some think he would leave

Danny J

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 18, 2013, 06:44:37 pm
Interesting indeed.....

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 20, 2013, 03:18:30 pm
That wasn't monk and that was when Pel signed him.

Madden isn't going anywhere. I don't know why some think he would leave

Ky doesn't have a little brother.  One older bro n 3 sisters

Spider-Pig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on February 20, 2013, 11:14:11 pm
Ky doesn't have a little brother.  One older bro n 3 sisters

Yeah. It was a cousin or nephew . Interesting tidbit, but no affect on MM