• 378,865 Topics
• 21,052 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 69   Go Down

Author Topic: Johnny Football, all things  (Read 160525 times)

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hey man, play the Beatles White album 1 more time
Re: Johnny Football, all things
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:38 am »

Hell have a great year. Stats won't differ much from 2012.
name one player in the SEC who, after having a break-out year and a burst on the national scene, came back the following season to equal or better the previous year...defenses are going to be geared to stopping #2....there's absolutely no way he produces 90% of what he did last year....matter of fact, I'd say he will be 25% off his stats of last season

razorjacket43

• Varsity
  • Southern by Birth, Hog by the Grace of God
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2013, 09:07:14 am »

name one player in the SEC who, after having a break-out year and a burst on the national scene, came back the following season to equal or better the previous year...defenses are going to be geared to stopping #2....there's absolutely no way he produces 90% of what he did last year....matter of fact, I'd say he will be 25% off his stats of last season
Tebow

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorjacket43

• Varsity
  • Southern by Birth, Hog by the Grace of God
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:55 am »

I think Johny will have to rely on his arm more. I think the other teams are gonna try and contain him to the pocket more. Of course they wont always be able to contain him, but i dont think he will scramble his way out or take direct snaps for designed runs as much as last year. That will knock his stats down, but if they come up with another playmaker or two he could become this seasons biggest decoy.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:31 am »

Tebow
Tebow never matched his SOPH season at QB when he won the Heisman....and DMAC got hosed out of the award

woodhog14

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

It should also be pointed out he was sneaking up on his first 4 or 5 opponents. I would imagine next year's game vs Bama will be very tough for him

He didn't sneak up on Bama this year. They didn't play them until their 10th game, and they still couldn't stop him.

HogInFlorida

• Always remember kids, Han shot first.
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2013, 10:00:32 am »

He didn't sneak up on Bama this year. They didn't play them until their 10th game, and they still couldn't stop him.

Alabama beat A&M 3/4 quarters this year. A&M's 1st quarter was just too good for Bama to be able to come back in time. Saban found out what he had to do to slow Johnny down during that game and next year he'll know it going into the game rather than have to learn as he went. Im not saying Saban didn't watch film beforehand. Im sure he watched loads. But there is a difference in watching film to prepare for one of the most explosive players that you have never played before and seeing it firsthand against your defense.

thirrdegreetusker

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2013, 10:01:34 am »

Wonder if teams will do to him what they started doing to Geno Smith and a couple other of the "running" Qb's the 2nd half of last year.  USe more of a containment rush with the front 4, and lay back in a zone and force him to make throws.  Once teams did that to Smith, he looked horrible.  Same for the guy at Nebraska.

If you think back, the Hogs came out in a bend-don't-break scheme against him. Pass rush appeared very disciplined, very committed to keeping his running contained. Worked for a while, but the lack of pressure left him all day to throw, and it went south from there.

ICEman

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:00 am »

I am sure a few SEC DefCo's will install during spring practice a scheme or two in order to combat Herr Manziel's shake and scramble.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:59 am »

I am sure a few SEC DefCo's will install during spring practice a scheme or two in order to combat Herr Manziel's shake and scramble.
a good DC will herd Manziel in a certin direction and have his hardest hitter ready and waiting to send Johnny back to the computer for more course study

jkstock04

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:07 am »

I still think he will be a thorn in our side...pretty much a nightmare to prepare for. BUT, at least this time around opposing teams will know what is coming or what he is capable of.

jkstock04

« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:57 am »

If you think back, the Hogs came out in a bend-don't-break scheme against him. Pass rush appeared very disciplined, very committed to keeping his running contained. Worked for a while, but the lack of pressure left him all day to throw, and it went south from there.
U call it disciplined...lol I call it standing there watching him throw for about 500 on us. Literally the d line would just stand there and look at him...I had never seen anything like it in my life. I'm sooo lookin forward to different/better defensive schemes than what we are used to.

HighcountryHog

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:36 am »

hes got bad ju-ju coming his way. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

When I think back on our D last season I become almost physically ill.

secneahog

• #Uncommon Armon Watts!!
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »

+1 I agree with you..  What tape did teams get to watch on JFBall an get to study him?.    Would have been HS film.. With a step up in coachs in the SEC WEST, a year to watch film on him, an him losing alot of talent..He wont shine like he did in his first year.. an then maybe we wont have to see his HC on WWE getting a belt in the ring.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »

It really depends on his OC and OLine.

I don't buy the sophomore slump as such.  If they try to do the same ole then they'll have less production.  If they find other ways to use him in addition to what he's done then he'll have a pretty good year.

Oblong spheroids do funny things.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm feeling borderline erotic
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58:57 pm »

He can't match last year....true 'lightning in a bottle' stuff there.... But he will still be an above average qb.

HogFoo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »

Johnny boy has made a lot of noise.  Lots of hype.  Had many great players
surrounding him.  I predict that he will flop in his hoopla.
What do youll think?
I predict that johnny football's new nickname this year will be ''Johnny Who?"

MJ2

« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »

Look for him to get hurt but will be replaced and the backup has a big year too.    The scheme is built for success and Sumlin knows it.

thirrdegreetusker

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »

U call it disciplined...lol I call it standing there watching him throw for about 500 on us. Literally the d line would just stand there and look at him...I had never seen anything like it in my life. I'm sooo lookin forward to different/better defensive schemes than what we are used to.

Ome of the oddest games I ever saw was back in the 80s in WMS, when A&M had a hot-shot QB named Kevin Murray (?). We had Tony Cerico at NG, and most plays he was the only one that rushed. We covered their 5 eligible receivers with 10 defenders.

I guess Murray or his coaches did not want him to run, and he didn't. We won.

texas tush hog

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:37 pm »

Johnny boy has made a lot of noise.  Lots of hype.  Had many great players
surrounding him.  I predict that he will flop in his hoopla.
What do youll think?
He can't match last year....true 'lightning in a bottle' stuff there.... But he will still be an above average qb.

When you consider he beat Bama at Tuscaloosa his first year in the SEC and lost to Florida by three and LSU by five he was not that far from 14-0 last year. Before we trash a Heisman trophy winner, maybe we better beat Bama, LSU, Florida, and A&M next year. Then we will have some street cred but until then we sound very foolish. Potentially we could be very good next year, but like John Madden says, potential means you ain't done it yet. Say what you will about Johnny Football he has done it already.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2013, 07:19:59 pm »

Tebow never matched his SOPH season at QB when he won the Heisman....and DMAC got hosed out of the award

I agree that he got hosed the year before when smith won. He didn't when Tebow won.

EastTexasHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »

I hate to think it, and hopefully this will jinx it, but I think aggy goes undefeated next year.  Recall how many times someone actually tackled johnny football last year....not too often.  He is a rare player, and he makes everyone around him that much better, too.  Plus, their schedule sets up very well for them.  True, they did lose some great players, but they have enough coming back to have a great season. 

I would love to see Vandy beat them at College Station....and that is no insult to Vandy as I think they are really making strides.

GTOWNHOG

• Senior
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »

He will do just fine....  I hope we can stay on the field with them in Fayetteville...

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »

He will do just fine....  I hope we can stay on the field with them in Fayetteville...

Oh we will...

Bebop

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:20 pm »

The Aggies lose:

-o-linemen
-defensive players
-running back
-wide receivers
-offensive coordinator

Those factors + a year to study film on JM = there is going to be less success for the Aggies.

woodhog14

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2013, 11:16:16 pm »

Easy...Darren McFadden. Busted on the national scene in 2005 with 1,113 yds...came back the next year with better numbers with 1,647 yds while being a target. He also improved on that his junior year with 1,829 yds.

Manziel will have a very similar year next year to what he had this year. The system they run will help him with that.

STR Hogfan

• Band Nerd
  • Postin so fast it just messes you up
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

If he doesn't learn to keep himself away from trouble and temptation, I predict that he will find himself in the doghouse soon enough.  He living large these days, and who can really blame him?  But, he has shown the propensity to make some questionable decisions off the field, and  I just think he may slip up....

If he stays on point, which he very well may I'm not sure there will be that much of a drop off.. Freakish talent.

jlhogfan

• Senior
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

You guys are forgetting about Sumlin. He will have Manz ready

Grunt

• We put our best playuhs on deefense.
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:48 pm »

You guys are forgetting about Sumlin. He will have Manz ready
Correct.

Showtimehog

« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »

Johnny football is gonna get knocked out of the Arkansas game.

WowHogs

• Band Nerd
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:50 pm »

While he is a really good player, he needs to give the big men up front their fair share of credit, without them he's most likely average

If Johnny Football can keep the girls I saw in the middle of this video at bay, sky's the limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RQ3V_luPJUU

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:50 pm »

Let's hope he flops. At least against us.

d-hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:02 pm »

He is a terrific athlete and is exceptionally gifted with the ability to extend plays, but I suspect he will be injured (I hope not).  He doesn't have the size of Cam Newton or Tim Tebow to take a pounding and get back up.  Most list him as 6'1" 200 and change.  He's probably closer to 5'11" and 180-ish.

Look for him to get hurt but will be replaced and the backup has a big year too.    The scheme is built for success and Sumlin knows it.

I looked to see if someone else said this and I have to agree with the above.  I keep thinking that there's too much hype (for upcoming season) and that he may experience a knee injury or something like RG3 did earlier at Baylor or a nagging high ankle sprain that makes him less effective but will probably bounce back and have a great year the following year.  I don't wish it on him, but man the continual offseason hype and pressure usually doesn't get lived up to.  Injury risk has got to be his toughest opponent to overcome this year in my small opinion.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Resident Armchair Philosopher
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »

He reminds me of matt jones with his elusiveness, though he is a bit smaller.  He's a player that (if uninjured) can be slowed but not stopped.  he will make game changing plays in every game, but is not invincible by any means.

East Clintwood

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »

Not as well as this year.... Lost a chunk of the o-line, a good RB, and a very good WR

This, plus he went "Hollywood".

CDBHawg

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »

A step back.

He won't win the Heisman or 11 games.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:59 am »

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/61293/johnny-manziel-must-battle-his-fame-for-football

Such is life for the sport’s most famous player. In the gossip-filled world that we unfortunately live in, Manziel will be hunted and his character will be tested, and he’ll have to prove every day that he can put his team in front of his famous visage.

Manziel described his life as “pure chaos” since winning the Heisman...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »

BustedCoverage takes Manziel to task for [spring break] photo:

“If you don’t want to blow up blogs, go to Cabo and avoid henna (tattoos).  Otherwise, we’re splashing your ass all over the internet.

Don’t cry to newspaper writers that you can’t be a normal college student who takes classes on campus.  Don’t cry to ESPN that you can’t live a normal life because of the ‘microscope.’

Again, you put a UT Longhorn henna on your abs and it’s on.”

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/03/raging-debate-does-ams-manziel-have-a-longhorn-tattoo/

Looks like Johnny Football busted Busted Coverage when he revealed his longhorn tattoo was a fake.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »

Brent Zwerneman, Aggie Insider: Manziel stories often include a dose of intrigue

Kliff Kingsbury first clued many of us in to the mysteries of Johnny Manziel five months ago. I'd asked Kingsbury, then Texas A&M's offensive coordinator, why Manziel had immediately sprinted off the field after the Aggies' comeback victory at Ole Miss on Oct. 6, while his teammates stuck around to croon the Aggie War Hymn.

“Who knows with him,” Kingsbury said, shrugging. “He does his own thing sometimes.”

Or a lot of times.

Manziel, 20, is not only the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, the former star at Kerrville Tivy also is quite the practical joker, as fans are finding out.
He's also used his notoriety for plenty of good — and the best part of this next story occurred long after many had written about it.

When the Manti Te'o fake girlfriend tale came to light in mid-January, I was struck by the idea that two of the human-interest stories some media folks had pushed leading up to the Heisman announcement were of the Notre Dame star linebacker's apparently deceased girlfriend and Manziel's long-distance connection with a sick child in Houston. When the Heisman winner was announced Dec. 8, neither finalist, as it turned out, had actually met the other half of the inspirational stories that had already been written about all over the country.

At the time, I admittedly hesitated at playing up Manziel's relationship with 5-year-old Charlie Dina, because from what I understood, Manziel hadn't actually visited the courageous youngster who's fighting neuroblastoma in person. Still, it was an inspirational gesture that Manziel wore a “Charlie's Angels” bracelet throughout the season and sent him some A&M gear and plenty of well wishes along the way.

The fact he hadn't actually met Charlie wasn't Manziel's fault — he was a bit busy in the fall. It was really nice in the end, however, to see Manziel and his family spend a February day with Charlie in Houston, which meant the world to both the boy and young man.

“God had the most special day planned for this meeting,” Charlie's father wrote on the CaringBridge website in late February. “(Charlie spent) nine hours with his best bud Johnny Manziel! ... A precious time where he and Charlie were able to play together, watch 'Dragon Tales' and even slurp down some GoGurt together. Is God good or what?”

Now, that's a good story, and for more info visit @CharlieDina on Twitter.

I once asked legendary A&M quarterback Bucky Richardson (1987-91) why he flashed two “hook 'ems” after scoring a touchdown against Texas, and he replied the number of digits in the air signified the Aggies defeating the Longhorns four straight games at that point...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »

Gene Stallings was asked if he played with or coached a player with the same type of skill set as Manziel?

"I guess (former Alabama star) David Palmer," Stallings said. "He had the ability to get out of trouble, throw the football, run with it. We played him at quarterback some. He is the closest thing that I had that resembled the young man at Texas A&M."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/gene_stallings_talks_mal_moore.html

HogHomer

• Senior
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2013, 04:24:03 pm »

Apparently he shoved a GA after his third interception during A&M's scrimmage. This is getting ridiculous someone needs to reign him in.

Buff

• My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2013, 04:26:35 pm »

I think they need to let him keep going.  At this pace he'll be busted with a coked-out hooker in the trunk of his Benz before fall practice starts.  A&M fans seem to think he changed for the worse after he won the Heisman.

McHogLovin

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2013, 04:32:09 pm »

I think they need to let him keep going.  At this pace he'll be busted with a coked-out hooker in the trunk of his Benz before fall practice starts.  A&M fans seem to think he changed for the worse after he won the Heisman.

Guy will still get it done if his line protects at all.  He's an enigma like MJ was, but better.

HawginTexas

• Varsity
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »

Johnny Football may go down in college history as the fastest rising and then falling star ever. He doesn't seem to have the mental maturity nor the support system to handle his quick fame. He has talent, but the stars aligned just right for him to win the hiesman, let's see how well he handles adversity, so far....not real well.

Amityvillehogger

• "Say Goodbye! Darren McFadden!!"
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

This is setting up to be a great 30 for 30 in about 20 years. Don't wish negative on the guy but he's headed that direction.

OTTER

• If you ain't a Hog Fan, you ain't nothin'!
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »

Apparently he shoved a GA after his third interception during A&M's scrimmage. This is getting ridiculous someone needs to reign him in.
Oh heck no, let him spiral downward as far as he can!  I said before he'd crash and burn and I want to see the show.

FaulknerHogfan

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »

I would be doing the same if I was a 19-20 year old heisman trophy winner ;)  live it up brother...

For real, I bet he has a hang over from the success last year and lay's an egg.  his ego is going to overcome his ability.

SouthSide Johnny

• SSJ
    • Facebook
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2013, 04:48:23 pm »

And NOW the rest of the story

"On the last of his three interceptions, Manziel threw a short pass into the end zone along the right sideline.
A graduate assistant who works with the defense celebrated within inches of the irate quarterback, and Manziel responded by shoving the assistant.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Aggies-go-back-to-work-after-Big-Event-4379825.php#ixzz2OUppG7Ti"

HawginTexas

• Varsity
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2013, 04:51:33 pm »

"On the last of his three interceptions, Manziel threw a short pass into the end zone along the right sideline.
A graduate assistant who works with the defense celebrated within inches of the irate quarterback, and Manziel responded by shoving the assistant.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Aggies-go-back-to-work-after-Big-Event-4379825.php#ixzz2OUppG7Ti"

I dont care if he was a GA or a full assistant, you don't do that no matter what side of the ball they coach. He will have 75k Razorback fans celebrating and laughing if he throws 3 int's against us next season. He has got to learn how to handle that....I feel the rumblings of an implosion

HogHomer

• Senior
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2013, 04:51:50 pm »

That gives him an excuse to shove a GA?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 69   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas