Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin

Started by crabeyes, October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 13, 2016, 05:57:28 pm
The one that didn't make it to the Final Four was probably the best collective group of talent Calipari ever assembled.

Tell that to John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Boogie Cousins, Daniel Orton, etc.

The group you speak of didn't even have a PG...unless you think Ryan Harrow, who was so bad he finished his college career at Georgia St, was on par with every other great PG under Cal. That team had fewer scorers than any other UK team under Cal.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

intelligence

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 13, 2016, 06:23:49 pm
You were clearly trying to defend his business decision. Bringing Portis into it was a cheap shot.  It was irrelevant to the conversation considering one is a third year NBA player, and the other is a rookie.  Portis is better as a rookie.  End of argument.  You've clearly tried to spin, what was originally a couple of stupid posts by comparing age, and other crap you pulled out of your rear end.

When you leave your home state, especially one as loyal as Arkansas, and claim it was a business decision, you better be sure.  The ties that you could lose, and opportunities down the road will probably outweigh any minimal gain you get by going to Kentucky or anywhere else.  In Archie Goodwin's case it didn't help at all.  He's a former five star that was the 29th pick in the draft, in his third season, averaging 5.8 points, 1.9 reb, 1.1 assists per game.  Both of you were trying to defend him, as if his decision had worked out for him, and that he was showing signs of a long NBA career, with the chance to sign a solid contract after his rookie contract was up.  I don't know how you reckon that. 

I'll repeat it again, because it's important.  That kind of ignorance in this state needs to stop.  If I had been recruiting Malik Monk, I would have text him the above stats every single day, and then given him updates on Bobby Portis and Joe Johnson.  I don't know how Mike approached it, and it doesn't matter now.  We need to find a way to get the successful Razorbacks in these kids ear, and stop letting this ignorance spread.  People like you and Hawg Advocate are part of that problem.  It's hurting our program.
Amen.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: intelligence on February 11, 2016, 05:00:15 pm
go to worldstar if you want to see a video of Markieff briefly choking Archie by the neck. In Archie's defense, Markieff is a bit mental, but as an Arkansas fan i couldn't help but laugh. specially the way goodwin hated on Arkansas

Where else would you choke someone....?  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawg Red

February 15, 2016, 07:50:24 am #953 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:25:47 am by Hawg Red
Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 13, 2016, 06:23:49 pm
You were clearly trying to defend his business decision. Bringing Portis into it was a cheap shot.  It was irrelevant to the conversation considering one is a third year NBA player, and the other is a rookie.  Portis is better as a rookie.  End of argument.  You've clearly tried to spin, what was originally a couple of stupid posts by comparing age, and other crap you pulled out of your rear end.

I'm defending it so far as to say that I don't see how you can say it was a failed decision. For it to be a failed decision, you'd have to be able to show how going to Kentucky adversely affected him. I don't see how anyone could can do that. His goal from the start was the NBA. He got there. He's failed at nothing. There's quite a bit of difference between failure and not having the amount of success you had initially hoped for.

Me bringing Portis into it is completely relevant. Portis is having a fine rookie season, and yes, a better rookie season than Archie had. Makes sense seeing as how Portis played an extra season at the college level as "the man" on his team and he's just a better player and NBA prospect. But Archie Goodwin is producing more than he is right now, and at the very least, is in the same ballpark on the season. Yet people like you are acting like he's playing himself out of the NBA, and that's ridiculous. They're about the same age, so while Archie does have two more years of NBA experience to his credit, he's still got plenty of potential. Whether you are a rookie or in your 3rd season, if you're 21 and producing at an encouraging level like both of them are, you have value to NBA teams. It's ridiculous that people like me even have to point that out. You don't have to like the kid, but deal in reality.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 13, 2016, 06:23:49 pmWhen you leave your home state, especially one as loyal as Arkansas, and claim it was a business decision, you better be sure.  The ties that you could lose, and opportunities down the road will probably outweigh any minimal gain you get by going to Kentucky or anywhere else.  In Archie Goodwin's case it didn't help at all.  He's a former five star that was the 29th pick in the draft, in his third season, averaging 5.8 points, 1.9 reb, 1.1 assists per game.  Both of you were trying to defend him, as if his decision had worked out for him, and that he was showing signs of a long NBA career, with the chance to sign a solid contract after his rookie contract was up.  I don't know how you reckon that.

He's averaging 5.8/1.9/1.1 on his career. He's gotten better each season, as young players do. He's averaging 9.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists per game for this current season. So the kid is averaging nearly double figures in scoring, and probably will get there by season's end, but he's got one foot out the door? There is a 100% chance that Archie Goodwin signs a 2nd contract with an NBA team that will put his minimum NBA career at almost a decade. How is whatever decision he made not working out for him?

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 13, 2016, 06:23:49 pmI'll repeat it again, because it's important.  That kind of ignorance in this state needs to stop.  If I had been recruiting Malik Monk, I would have text him the above stats every single day, and then given him updates on Bobby Portis and Joe Johnson.  I don't know how Mike approached it, and it doesn't matter now.  We need to find a way to get the successful Razorbacks in these kids ear, and stop letting this ignorance spread.  People like you and Hawg Advocate are part of that problem.  It's hurting our program.

What ignorance am I spreading? I haven't said that he was better off at Kentucky than Arkansas. You keep repeating that. It's the exact opposite of ignorance to acknowledge that players can be successful by leaving the state. It's not the same as saying they should or you want them to. To act like ANYTHING I've done has hurt the program is beyond ludicrous.

root_hawg

So he leaves Arkansas and loses those business contacts but he picks up ones in Kentucky so mute point.

HawgAdvocate

February 15, 2016, 03:06:52 pm #955 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:31:04 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:24:17 pm
I realize that you don't see it, so I'll repeat it.  When you leave a state that is as loyal to its home team as Arkansas, and claim it's a business decision, then it needs to have helped you improve from a business standpoint.  Archie Goodwin, going to Kentucky did not improve his ability to make money.  Here's the contrast.  What does he do after his NBA career is over?  If he can take the money he's made in the NBA and live off of it for the rest of his life, then good on him, but let's be honest, that isn't likely the case.  He will eventually need to make investments, and use his noteriety to make more money.  He's cut a major business tie, by leaving his home state, and doing it in the manner he did.  How many Arkansas business's do you think will want Archie Goodwin to come back and do a commercial for them?  How many will want to publically be a business association with him?  Do you think that will help business's in Arkansas.  Do you think he could end up on the radio like Pat Bradley, Matt Jones, or Clint Stoener?  Does he open a car lot like Sidney Moncrief?  Does he coach at one of the smaller schools like Corliss Williamson? Does he become a GA like Marcus Monk? That's what I mean by a failed business decision.  He decided to basically cut himself off from the state of Arkansas because he was better off in the long run by going out of state.  How is he better off?  You're focus is completely on the basketball side of things.  Is this all clear enough for you now?

This is one of the dumbest arguments around. It's such an overblown concept. There must be a support group for every bank, investor, and business owner in the state that meets weekly so that they can remind themselves to never hire or do business with folks who don't play for the Hogs. Fifteen years from now you will need to remind every Chamber of Commerce surrounding Pulaski County that Archie Goodwin isn't good enough to do business in his home town.

Poor Keith Jackson. How did he ever make it? He must have a lucky rabbit's foot. 

You need to reevaluate your definition of a 'busines decision.' At the time, Coach A's best freshman players (Flip Pressey & BJ Young) weren't starting nor were they getting 30+ minutes/game. The business decision was all about maximizing draft value and getting to the NBA after one season. NBA front offices value drafting freshman because they offer more upside. Freshman, on average, have better NBA careers.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:24:17 pm
I realize that you don't see it, so I'll repeat it.  When you leave a state that is as loyal to its home team as Arkansas, and claim it's a business decision, then it needs to have helped you improve from a business standpoint.  Archie Goodwin, going to Kentucky did not improve his ability to make money.  Here's the contrast.  What does he do after his NBA career is over?  If he can take the money he's made in the NBA and live off of it for the rest of his life, then good on him, but let's be honest, that isn't likely the case.  He will eventually need to make investments, and use his noteriety to make more money.  He's cut a major business tie, by leaving his home state, and doing it in the manner he did.  How many Arkansas business's do you think will want Archie Goodwin to come back and do a commercial for them?  How many will want to publically be a business association with him?  Do you think that will help business's in Arkansas.  Do you think he could end up on the radio like Pat Bradley, Matt Jones, or Clint Stoener?  Does he open a car lot like Sidney Moncrief?  Does he coach at one of the smaller schools like Corliss Williamson? Does he become a GA like Marcus Monk? That's what I mean by a failed business decision.  He decided to basically cut himself off from the state of Arkansas because he was better off in the long run by going out of state.  How is he better off?  You're focus is completely on the basketball side of things.  Is this all clear enough for you now?

What about all the connects he's going to have made nationally and internationally by playing in the NBA? If he plays 10 years in Phoenix, he can get something set up there? Come on. The longer his NBA career lasts, the less he needs hometown business ties in Arkansas.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:24:17 pmWhere do you surmise that his next contract will get him a minimum of 7 more years in the league?  He won't be in the league 7 more years I guarantee you.  Three years is plenty of time to establish yourself in the NBA.  Yes he has improved, but when it comes to contracts they are going to look at his entire 3 seasons.  He's a 25% three point shooter, as a 6'5 shooting guard.  Portis is a better three point shooter.  You think that is going to keep him on an NBA roster?  He's improved, yes.  So has Mike Anderson every year, but this one.  Sometimes improving is more a reflection of where one started.  I could be homeless, and then get a minimum wage job.  I'm improving, but that doesn't mean I'm successful.

Archie is headed towards a 4-year contract after next season, barring some kind of colossal collapse. That puts him at 8 years worth of, at minimum, NBA pay. Your point about improving being a reflection of where one started is valid. And that's exactly what we're seeing here. Some players, though, have different philosophies on their development. Archie is the kind of kid who only went to college because he basically had to. Went to Kentucky, had an okay freshman year, risked a lot going pro, but he wanted to get paid to develop. There are kids like that. Bobby is not the same kind of guy, obviously. He wanted the college experience and he chose to go pro when everything was right (draft stock, development, got Hogs back in tournament). Different paths. Some players take longer to develop than others. It took Jermaine O'Neal four years on the Portland bench before he was able to show he was an All-Star. By your logic, he was done in year 4.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:24:17 pmSo, your entire post is ignorant.  You don't seem to grasp the overall concept of a "business decision."  His going to Kentucky didn't improve him from a business standpoint, and in fact probably hurt him going forward.  It's not about going somewhere else and having success. It's about going somewhere else and having more success.  Enough success to counteract the ties that he's cut.  That's just part of being a blue chip athlete in Arkansas.  Keith Jackson is one of the few, if not only exceptions.  So unless Archie Goodwin plans on coming back, and making a significant contribution to the community, he will have trouble furthering himself financially.  Don't you think if he had played his one year at Arkansas he would have an endless amount of business opportunities in his home state, once his playing days were over?

There isn't anything that I'm not grasping. I'm also not championing Archie's business decision. I'm merely stating that it wasn't a failed decision because, to me, he'd have to flame out of the league and not nothing to fall back on. If that doesn't happen, and he "makes it," how did he fail? Sure, he wasn't a lottery pick and he's only slowly improving, but there are varying degrees of success. His stated goal was to get to the NBA after one season. Mission accomplished. Looking like he's going to get another contract. Another success. Could he have done this and not gone to Kentucky? Sure. But that's irrelevant because the decision he made worked out. It could have worked out at any number of colleges, but it worked out nonetheless. A business decision does not need to be a complete success to not be a failure. He did not fail in getting to the NBA and he's not going to fail in getting a second NBA contract.

One thing Jumpball hasn't missed, Jamie, is your whiny, bitter posts.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 03:56:45 pm
You obviously have decided to not read, which is why you are so ignorant.  I mentioned Keith Jackson, and why his situation was different.  He came back and started P.A.R.K.  Name someone else.  Go.  I'll be waiting.

It's not a dumb argument.  It is a fact.  It is how business works.  Where are all the guys that left the state?  Anyone know what Bret Smith is doing these days?  How many commercials or radio shows is Cedric Houston doing in Arkansas?  The bottom line is you're a moron, and you need to change your screen name.  You are anything but a Hawg Advocate, and in fact are a miserable contrarian.  This has been common knowledge in this state for years.  Just compare the kids that have left the state to the ones that have stayed.

I'm sure you'll be the first to buy a car at Archie Goodwin Cheverolet in a few years. 

Did he maximize his draft value?  Was he projected lower than 29th?  I guess he got drafted after his remarkable NIT run. Good thing he went to Kentucky. You are the epitome of stupid.

Because when you can't make a lick of sense, fly off the handle like a lunatic because that somehow makes your case look stronger. Wow. You're cherry-picking names over a stupid concept. If you think there's $BANK$ to be made in local Arkansas radio shows or a couple local 'commercials,' you're lying to yourself. For every Pat Bradley that may have a limited-broadcast radio show, there's a dozen+ Corey Becks and Fred Talleys that struggle to get by.

You know jack squat about who Archie knows and how he may invest his cash later in life. Same with every other former Hog or Arkansas kid that went elsewhere. But please, lash out again like a juvenile. It's so enlightening.

Hawg Red

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 04:25:25 pm
What in the world leads you to believe he is going to get a guaranteed 4 year contract after next year?  His  3 point success?  First it was ten, now its 8.  His career is dwindling in this thread.  Even if he gets a 4 year contract that doesn't at all mean it is guaranteed he'll be in the league that long.  Jermaine O'Neal he is not.

I never said he was going to play 10 years. I think he very well could. I said 8 years, at least, because I'm only considering his next contract. He could have another after that.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 04:25:25 pmBeing able to do what he's done anywhere is not at all irrelevant, and is in fact completely the point.  Why go to Kentucky, and call it a business decision, if he would have had the same success anywhere? A business decision is a failure if it leaves you in a worse place than the alternative.  You admit he would have been where he is had he gone anywhere, but he's not put himself in a BETTER position going forward.  In fact, he's most likely cost himself future money making opportunities, and a chance to come back and be a hero at home.  He didn't go to Kentucky just to get a second contract. I just don't understand how you don't comprehend that.

He went to Kentucky to prepare him for the NBA. That's what they all say. At this point, it's hard to argue that that didn't happen. All we have to go on his his last 3 years and where he's at right now. He's playing his way to a second contract. How much that contract will be worth remains to be seen. It's impossible to surmise that he's hurt himself by going to Kentucky. What we do know is that he went to Kentucky and is currently in the NBA with no signs that being jeopardy.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 04:25:25 pmWho is Jaime?  Who is whining? The only thing I'm bitter about is that too many people on this board go out of their way to play contrarian about all things Arkansas.

You are Jaime. And Hambone. And WarPigs88. And Fair and Balanced. I'm probably leaving some out.

The only person going out their way is you. Screaming at the top of your lungs about opinions about failed business decisions like they're facts when the actual facts don't support what you're saying.

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 04:25:25 pmI'll repeat it again, because it needs to sink in.  Your type of ignorance is spreading, and it's hurting the program. You've gone out of your way to defend a decision that didn't improve the player, and likely hurt him going forward, because you guys went to the same high school.

Let's be fair.  This all started with you saying that Archie had done well for himself, and people needed to get a clue.  I think you are the one that needs a clue.  As long, as this BS keeps going on, the Razorbacks will struggle.  If all the kids we've lost in state during Mike Anderson's tenure would have stayed, we'd be in a better situation.  None of them are.

Is that how this all started? Or did this all start because a bunch of bitter adults can't handle the fact that a kid from Arkansas who didn't pick Arkansas that they figured would flame out of the league is actually playing pretty well. I'm being about as objective as a person could be. Archie is doing well for himself. He's in the **** NBA. How many people that have played organized basketball can say that for themselves? And not only is he in the NBA, he's actually putting up some good numbers right now. But we have people saying stupid stuff like he's headed back the D-League and he's playing himself out of the NBA. It's stupid. I don't care where the kid went. I'm adult enough to recognize that, while he burned us and went to an SEC rival, he actually is playing well in the NBA. That doesn't mean I'm cheering him on, because I'm not. It's just a fact. And I can live with it. Wasted energy making up false criticisms about a kid just because he didn't pick Arkansas.

GS99

At age 18, Archie Goodwin signed a 4 year / $5,430,929 contract with the Phoenix Suns, including $5,430,929 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,357,732. In 2015-16, Goodwin will earn a base salary of $1,160,160.

Would he have done better having gone to Arkansas?  Who knows?  But his business decision wasn't too bad so far.  Will he go broke? Who knows?  But he's not broke yet (as far as I know).

Maybe he doesn't want to use the network of former Razorbacks to get a job in Arkansas. I like the state I grew up in (not Arkansas) and have nothing against it, but I have no desire to live and work there. But nobody thinks I'm a horrible person because I didn't fulfill my obligation to use my talents in my home state.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: root_hawg on February 15, 2016, 02:41:17 pm
So he leaves Arkansas and loses those business contacts but he picks up ones in Kentucky so mute point.
There is an awful lot of noise going on around here for it to be so mute.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

mhuff

Not a moot point that they will always be unfavorably looked upon by many people. You lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:52:44 pm
No.  That's where the ignorance comes into play.  How many commercials do you think a guy that ended his Kentucky career losing to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT, will do?  Archie Goodwin is way way down the totem pole as far as former Kentucky basketball players.  It's not even close to a moot point.

Who says you have to come back home to get commercials?  Who says you have to go to the place where you went to college to get commercials?  You mean to say that it isn't possible for him to have a life in Phoenix and be a celebrity there if that is where he spends his entire NBA career?  It is Arkansas, Kentucky or bust eh?  That is the dumbest bunch of crap I have EVER heard.  If that was true in any way why would ANYONE ever leave the place they came from?  You telling me that there is no opportunity for a life outside of the place you grew up?  Bullspit, I am not from Arkansas and I have done just fine in the 20 or so years since I left the place I grew up.  Just a stupid stupid argument. 

HawgAdvocate

root_hawg

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on February 15, 2016, 02:52:44 pm
No.  That's where the ignorance comes into play.  How many commercials do you think a guy that ended his Kentucky career losing to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT, will do?  Archie Goodwin is way way down the totem pole as far as former Kentucky basketball players.  It's not even close to a moot point.

How many commercials do you think a guy gets if he never gets to the tourney?????

pondwater jack

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 12, 2016, 10:08:14 am
Yep, and from statistics he's more then likely will loose all those millions with in years of leaving the NBA.
I'd love to help him

J. Holly Blasingame, II
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

PonderinHog

Quote from: pondwater jack on February 15, 2016, 08:50:26 pm
I'd love to help him

J. Holly Blasingame, II
I still think a combination church, funeral home and driving range has lots of potential, Jack.

root_hawg

For the same stats you use to say Archie will be broke is the same you could use for Bobby....

PonderinHog

Quote from: root_hawg on February 15, 2016, 08:53:24 pm
For the same stats you use to say Archie will be broke is the same you could use for Bobby....
Bobby makes better business decisions.

root_hawg

You have no idea which one of them makes better business decisions....

PonderinHog

Quote from: root_hawg on February 15, 2016, 08:57:21 pm
You have no idea which one of them makes better business decisions....
Portis chose Arkansas.  Duh.

root_hawg

Goodwin will get to his second contract at a younger age and signing with Arkansas doesn't prove anything

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 15, 2016, 07:50:24 am
I'm defending it so far as to say that I don't see how you can say it was a failed decision. For it to be a failed decision, you'd have to be able to show how going to Kentucky adversely affected him. I don't see how anyone could can do that. His goal from the start was the NBA. He got there. He's failed at nothing. There's quite a bit of difference between failure and not having the amount of success you had initially hoped for.

Me bringing Portis into it is completely relevant. Portis is having a fine rookie season, and yes, a better rookie season than Archie had. Makes sense seeing as how Portis played an extra season at the college level as "the man" on his team and he's just a better player and NBA prospect. But Archie Goodwin is producing more than he is right now, and at the very least, is in the same ballpark on the season. Yet people like you are acting like he's playing himself out of the NBA, and that's ridiculous. They're about the same age, so while Archie does have two more years of NBA experience to his credit, he's still got plenty of potential. Whether you are a rookie or in your 3rd season, if you're 21 and producing at an encouraging level like both of them are, you have value to NBA teams. It's ridiculous that people like me even have to point that out. You don't have to like the kid, but deal in reality.

He's averaging 5.8/1.9/1.1 on his career. He's gotten better each season, as young players do. He's averaging 9.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists per game for this current season. So the kid is averaging nearly double figures in scoring, and probably will get there by season's end, but he's got one foot out the door? There is a 100% chance that Archie Goodwin signs a 2nd contract with an NBA team that will put his minimum NBA career at almost a decade. How is whatever decision he made not working out for him?

What ignorance am I spreading? I haven't said that he was better off at Kentucky than Arkansas. You keep repeating that. It's the exact opposite of ignorance to acknowledge that players can be successful by leaving the state. It's not the same as saying they should or you want them to. To act like ANYTHING I've done has hurt the program is beyond ludicrous.

Yes Archie Goodwin,

Archie Goodwin, SG 38 13 20.8 9.4 0.5 2.0 2.5 2.2 0.45 0.24 1.8 1.4 1.2  stats on a 14-44 ball club I know I am impressed. Goodwin will always be a scrub.

GP

MPG

FGM-FGA

FG%

3PM-3PA

3P%

FTM-FTA

FT%

RPG

APG

BLKPG

STLPG

PFPG

TOPG

PPG

2015-16 Regular Season 38 20.8 3.1-7.7 .405 0.4-1.8 .254 2.7-3.8 .706 2.5 2.2 0.2 0.4 1.4 1.8 9.4
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

ADavisTheGOAT

http://arizonasports.com/story/875311/suns-release-archie-goodwin/    ;D So the theory is that anyone who goes to Kentucky has a long successful NBA career?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

FineAsSwine

Just a business decision. Tough titty lil' kitty.

GS99

Yep. Somewhere out there Ugly Uncle is getting a hardon from the news that Goodwin got cut having made only $3.3 million at age 22.

latrops

Quote from: Hogfan991 on October 24, 2016, 04:56:11 pm
http://arizonasports.com/story/875311/suns-release-archie-goodwin/    ;D So the theory is that anyone who goes to Kentucky has a long successful NBA career?

I've not heard that theory.

mhuff

Who's this guy? I never knew him

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GS99 on October 24, 2016, 06:14:14 pm
Yep. Somewhere out there Ugly Uncle is getting a hardon from the news that Goodwin got cut having made only $3.3 million at age 22.

shhhh. He made a mistake.  ;)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

I wish the best for him.  I wasn't too upset about his decision.  I'm rooting for him because my nephews in Little Rock have played pickup basketball/been around him since he was drafted and they said he is an all around good person.  Even gave out pointers to those who asked etc. 

Hogimus Prime

Going to Kentucky gets you drafted higher.  Once a kid gets to the league he is on his own.

poloprince

I hate this for AG, hopefully he can resurface somewhere.
$PoLoPrInCe$

PigDaddyKane

I'm sure someone in KY will hire him.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on October 24, 2016, 08:41:22 pm

You mean he won't get one of those Arkla jobs in the white truck or WM Operations or People Mgr?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hvsupastar

He'll make a good living overseas playing ball and retire at a young age with millions.  Can't hate him for it.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on October 24, 2016, 08:41:22 pm

Always needing someone to shovel shat out of horse stalls in KY. He won't have a problem finding work when he is done.

HognitiveDissonance

I'm not happy he got cut.
I'm not sad he got cut.

I'm totally indifferent to players who leave the state like Goodwin and Monk. Couldn't care less what they do...or don't do.

They basically become persona non grata to me. I honestly haven't even thought about Malik Monk once or twice since he committed to UK.

hoglady

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 24, 2016, 11:03:53 pm
I'm not happy he got cut.
I'm not sad he got cut.

I'm totally indifferent to players who leave the state like Goodwin and Monk. Couldn't care less what they do...or don't do.

They basically become persona non grata to me. I honestly haven't even thought about Malik Monk once or twice since he committed to UK.

I don't really compare the Goodwin and Monk situations.
One of them didn't use the university and Mike Anderson.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jonteviosk

I have said all along Goodwin is an overrated scrub who would never be more than a bench minion maybe not even that LMFAO.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

onebadrubi

Sounds like they cut him because he wanted out more or less. They probably tried to trade him (say this much in article) and getting value in return, doubt much value was offered.

Someone will pick him up in the nba for league minimum I bet.

Jonteviosk

Assuming anyone wants the scrub lol

Foshodo

for those who just want to dump on him the guy put up numbers when he was given time due to injury above him... they might have been numbers influenced by selfishness but he wasnt a scrub while he was actually on the court.

hoglady

Someone who actually at any point in their life is good enough to draw an NBA paycheck is hardly a scrub.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

oldman1015

Quote from: hvsupastar on October 24, 2016, 08:43:35 pm
He'll make a good living overseas playing ball and retire at a young age with millions.  Can't hate him for it.
What are the odds on that? Most finish up their career at a young age after spending millions.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hawg Red

Dude has had such a weird NBA career. Snuck into the 1st round when it looked like he was going in the 2nd round after a disappointing season for that Kentucky program post-NCAA title. Spent most of his first two years in the D-League (understandable). Then he was a regular contributor for most of the first half of last season and then fell out of favor. I don't follow the Suns very closely so I'm not hip to what happened. Weird to see a team like Phoenix cut a guy loose on a rookie-scale contract, especially a guard when you have injury prone players like Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe in the backcourt.

He's young enough and has flashed enough at times that I think someone will pick him up, but his NBA future is obviously very much in doubt right now after it looked like he was going to maybe carve out a place in the league and get a second contract. This wasn't the second contract he was hoping for.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: oldman1015 on October 25, 2016, 08:05:43 am
What are the odds on that? Most finish up their career at a young age after spending millions.

He will be back in the NBA this season. Goodwin asked to be  traded because of the backcourt was full of other players from Kentucky. Ullis, Brandon Knight, Bledsoe and Devin Booker.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 25, 2016, 08:24:19 am
Dude has had such a weird NBA career. Snuck into the 1st round when it looked like he was going in the 2nd round after a disappointing season for that Kentucky program post-NCAA title. Spent most of his first two years in the D-League (understandable). Then he was a regular contributor for most of the first half of last season and then fell out of favor. I don't follow the Suns very closely so I'm not hip to what happened. Weird to see a team like Phoenix cut a guy loose on a rookie-scale contract, especially a guard when you have injury prone players like Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe in the backcourt.

He's young enough and has flashed enough at times that I think someone will pick him up, but his NBA future is obviously very much in doubt right now after it looked like he was going to maybe carve out a place in the league and get a second contract. This wasn't the second contract he was hoping for.

I'm surprised but not too surprised.  Most of these NBA teams are ran by non basketball minds.

jackflash

He will get another chance for sure

Swinesong1

He's the same player he was in high school and KY!  A driver and nothing else.  Until he develops an outside shot, he will bounce from team to team.  Suns even tried him at PG ( as did Calipari) and it failed.  He needs the ball in his hands to score and he's not that good of a scorer if you take away his drives.  Also, he's terrible on defense.  Again, hasn't changed from what he's always been.  If he's not blowing his money, he'll be able to live a comfortable life.  He just won't be an NBA player to remember.  I'll take that all day.