Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated writer Advocating "Arkansas should be in Big 12" (Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, February 23, 2006, 01:50:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

dotnet

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: dotnet on February 23, 2006, 01:52:32 pm
Sporting News, not Sports Illustrated

Man I need to pay more attention ..... slowly moving the Elmer's glue away from my keyboard
"I wish I could quite you sniffing glue"   ;D :D
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TuckFexas

He makes a good argument, but I like us playing the teams in the SEC. I wish we'd schedule more OOC games with Big 12 opponents. Ok, I mean OU and Texass.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

hogfan064

Tomhog™

Quote from: TuckFexas on February 23, 2006, 01:55:25 pm
He makes a good argument, but I like us playing the teams in the SEC. I wish we'd schedule more OOC games with Big 12 opponents. Ok, I mean OU and Texass.

That's what Arkansas has been doing in both fball and bball.  We never bode well playing OU in either sport.  Texas has lately been a toss-up regardless of talent levels...

Hogwild07

He has a good argument.  I wouldnt mind playing Missouri, Texas, and OU every year.  Thr rivalry with LSU does seem "force fed" .  I love that game but there really isnt that much animosity between us and them.  On the otherhand, playing Texas would be much different.  However, the rivalry between us and Tennessee is a pretty good one.

HawgWyld

He makes a fantastic argument, indeed. It would be downright outstanding to play Texas every year -- you can still hear Arkansas fans talk about that Cotton Bowl victory a few years back, in fact, and people still hate the Longhorns a hell of a lot more than Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU and etc., etc. Besides, this part of the world just "fits" a lot better with Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma than it does with Florida and South Carolina.

Still, leaving the SEC after the down seasons we had would be viewed by fans and other programs as a retreat, and that could hurt recruiting for a time. And, staying in the league with the larger paycheck makes a lot of sense when football and men's basketball are necessary to fund tree climbing, ballroom dancing, miniature golf and all those other money-losing sports that the feds say must be in place these days.

Still, it's an intriguing idea.

Chappeee

He wanted Arkansas in the Big XII and he wanted Baylor removed, BUT he didn't state who he wanted in the SEC to replace Arkansas.

silverhawg

I wouldn't mind UA being in the big 12, afterall the school has a 74 yr history playing what is now the old swc division of the big 12...I was living in Austin when the leauge died & the word around town was that the gov (Ann Richards -baylor grad) said she would hold up the state money that goes to Texas, A&M & Tech if Baylor wasn't part of the re-alignment...& at the same time, people in Texas were saying that if Arkansas hadn't taken the SEC offer, the old leauge may have survived by adding OU, and Kansas.  but its all history now, & I don't see the hogs leaving the SEC....

GrizzledHogFan

There are positives and negatives about both the SEC and the Big 12.  The short version is that the SEC is the better conference, but it would be more fun to be in the Big 12.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Chappeee on February 23, 2006, 02:07:30 pm
He wanted Arkansas in the Big XII and he wanted Baylor removed, BUT he didn't state who he wanted in the SEC to replace Arkansas.

Put Baylor in. SEC teams could use another Vanderbilt or Kentucky to kick around in football :)

Hogs4Ever

Other than playing Texass every year, moving to the Big 12 would be a step backward.  I hate OLE PISS much more than Mizzou.

The SEC is the PREEMINIENT sports conference in the nation.  I would rather go 6-5 or 7-4 in the SEC than 8-3 or 9-2 in the Big 12.  Now going 9-2 or better in the SEC would be the sweetest.

Hogwild07

This is a little off subject, but if you actually look at a map, you can see that KY is cleary not in the Southeastern part of the country.  They look like they should be a Big 10 school or something.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 23, 2006, 02:09:37 pm
Other than playing Texass every year, moving to the Big 12 would be a step backward.  The SEC is the PREEMINIENT sports conference in the nation.  I would rather go 6-5 or 7-4 in the SEC than 8-3 or 9-2 in the Big 12.

Heh. You must have loved the past few seasons, then...

HawgWyld

Quote from: Hogwild07 on February 23, 2006, 02:09:59 pm
This is a little off subject, but if you actually look at a map, you can see that KY is cleary not in the Southeastern part of the country.  They look like they should be a Big 10 school or something.

If you look at that same map, you'll notice it looks like Arkansas isn't in the Southeast, either...

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 02:10:23 pm
Other than playing Texass every year, moving to the Big 12 would be a step backward.  The SEC is the PREEMINIENT sports conference in the nation.  I would rather go 6-5 or 7-4 in the SEC than 8-3 or 9-2 in the Big 12.

Don't like losing seasons but I'd rather compete in the most competitive conference in the country than step down to the Big 12.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

"I believe Arkansas fans would be more fired up about playing schools like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Kansas."

Are you serious?  Over Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia,...?

"And how cool would it be if the Razorbacks could renew their old SWC hate-fest with Texas?"

This is true, but this can be accomplished in the OOC schedule, since I don't think we really care to play anyone else, except maybe Oklahoma.

hogattack21

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 02:09:01 pm

Put Baylor in. SEC teams could use another Vanderbilt or Kentucky to kick around in football :)

Well, if it happened, which it wont. Put Baylor in conference USA to replace Memphis who would fill our spot in the SEC West and Arkansas to the Big 12 south. Simple, but like I said it wont happen.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

sooie dog

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 02:11:47 pm

If you look at that same map, you'll notice it looks like Arkansas isn't in the Southeast, either...

What map are you looking at?  The state of Arkansas is clearly in the South East part of the United States.

HawgWyld

Quote from: abostian on February 23, 2006, 02:12:48 pm
"I believe Arkansas fans would be more fired up about playing schools like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Kansas."

Are you serious?  Over Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia,...?

You can't see the argument for that? We're in the same geographic part of the country as Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Texas, but that's not the case when it comes to Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky -- most of the schools in the SEC, in fact.

And, let's not forget how important that rivalry with Texas was. Facing them in a nonconference game is one thing, having a Texas-Arkansas game decide a conference championship or decent bowl berth is another.

Still, there's that whole money thing and the perception that Arkansas would be retreating to a lesser conference if the Hogs left for the Big 12.

silverhawg

[/quote]
Don't like losing seasons but I'd rather compete in the most competitive conference in the country than step down to the Big 12.

seems to me that the big 12 has done ok for themselves in the past several yrs with NC's in football, & baseball, & now they are doing ok in basketball too...give em credit..the big 12 is a major conference, not unlike the sec...

hogfan064

I'd say Clemson is the perfect fit.  Their fans only care about football just like most SEC schools.  They also have a very strong baseball program.  Clemson looks like a SEC school.  They already have a rivalry with South Carolina and Georgia.  They used to play Auburn alot and Knoxville is only about 2-3 hours from Clemson. 

Hawgin84

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 23, 2006, 02:12:47 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 02:10:23 pm

I'm with you. If one was to take the two best teams out of the SEC, (it's debatable which two), the SEC would still be a good conference. You take the two best out of the Big 12 (Texas & Oklahoma), that conference falls way off, especially if Nebraska is down.

RazorCaddy

I would definitely not like to move to the Big 12. I think basketball would be a lateral move but we would be taking a step back in football. I think over time we will form larger rivalries in the sec. I feel we have 2 already with Ole Miss and LSU.

HawgWyld

Quote from: sooie dog on February 23, 2006, 02:19:35 pm

What map are you looking at?  The state of Arkansas is clearly in the South East part of the United States.

If you want to get technical about it, Arkansas is in the West South Central region of the South, along with Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. According to the Associated Press Stylebook, at least. There's no "official" definition of Southeast, but the closest thing to it is the East South Central region (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee -- hence the whole SEC designation, perhaps?)

GrizzledHogFan

Geographically, any of the following schools would do, based on existing SEC school states:
Arkansas St.
UAB
Central Florida
Clemson
Florida St.
Georgia Tech
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisville
Memphis
Miami (FL)
Middle Tennessee St.
South Florida
Southern Miss
Troy
Tulane
ULM

Obviously not all of those programs are up to SEC quality, and not all of them would want to join the SEC.  Other options would include schools from North Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Lokirain

I like the SEC just fine. Remember when Arkansas came into the conference and no one thought we would beat Kentucky and Florida, and we dominated. And when we went to the first SEC Tourney and people were shocked to see how many Hog fans there were. That was a great time and we showed that we were the real deal, both the team and the fans.

Dewman

I think being in the sec helps recruiting. How many athletes do we here saying they are looking forward to playing in the sec?

hogfan064

I think Auburn-Arkansas is developing into a rivalry.  The series is fairly even, so is the Bama series.  Ole Miss-Arkansas is a good series and even the South Carolina-Arkansas series is kinda even.  LSU seems to get the best of the Hogs, but it is a good border rival. 20 years from now the Texas rivalry we'll sadly be forgotten, but new rivalries will exist.  Our kids will hate Bama like we hate Texas. 

TuckFexas

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 02:25:06 pm
Quote from: sooie dog on February 23, 2006, 02:19:35 pm

If you want to get technical about it, Arkansas is in the West South Central region of the South, along with Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. According to the Associated Press Stylebook, at least. There's no "official" definition of Southeast, but the closest thing to it is the East South Central region (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee -- hence the whole SEC designation, perhaps?)

IMO, we're in the northwestern hemishpere south centrally located near the eastern side of the southeast, just west of the central US.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HawgWyld

HouTxRzbck

I'm sorry, I would not want Arkansas to play in the most boring conference.  Plus the SEC brings in a hell of a lot more money than the big 12.  The big 12 can't hold the SEC's jock when it comes to publicity.  I'm from Arkansas, I grew up a die hard UA fan, but I'm a graduate at Oklahoma (OU) so I know what the big 12 conference is all about and I think I was bored most of the time with that conference.  I will tell you right now, that it would be a mistake in UA's pocket book if they went to the big 12.  It's not an accident with the facilities that we have being in the SEC.  Playing A&M, Texas and OU would be good rivalries.  I could care less about playing the other schools. Playing every school in the SEC is intriguing to me.

PS.  And Yes, I wore all my Arkansas gear to all the Ark/Okla games in OU's student section in basketball.  And yes, my friends let me have it after we got beat by 30 points in Norman.  That sucked!!!!
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

hogfan064

HighOnHogs

I'm all for a move to the big12.  I would get more excited playing Texas, A&M, Tech, Okla, Okla St. than I ever would the SEC.  But that all stems from growing up with the old SWC and where I live now.  We will never have an SEC rivalry as big as the Texas games are.  Even if it is one sided.

But I won't cry if we stay in the SEC either.  I do love playing those teams too.

HouTxRzbck

We had 60 years of playing these SWC schools, that is why people are drawn to them.  We only have 15 years in the SEC.  Wait till 50 years from now and see if people are still talking about the SWC schools.  We will get our rivalries in the SEC.  I can tell you the LSU football matchup is getting better and better.  That boot will start to mean something.

"...Every Day"

hogsanity

Please please please, amke the big 12 talk stop.  $$$$$$$ is king, and the SEC is king of $$$$$$$.  Did you see for the 04-05 year, the sec had 5 of the top 10 FB profit schools?  Do you know how much Ar gets from the revenue sharing program the SEC has?  $$$$$$$$$ was why we joined the SEC and $$$$$$ is why we will stay. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: GoAngels on February 23, 2006, 03:00:57 pm
I live in NWA right now...we have played these big 12 schools for almost a century...we have hate relationships with these people that go much farther than anything we have with LSU or Auburn....the SEC is great so don't get me wrong...but the school is in NWA not Central or South Arkansas and if you live here you know that there is bad blood between us and the okies...not to mention everything between us and the texas schools....plus who wouldnt love playing KU in Bball...that'd be great...we'd actually be able to make the road trip to the games from here!  I can deal with driving up to KU on a wednesday night watch a game and then drive back...but how the hell am i supposed to do that for LSU or Ole Miss....or any SEC school for that fact...it sucks...if someone can answer me that question then I will say we need to stay in the SEC.

I totally see what you are saying...but UA is more than just NWA.  You can say the samthing about people who live in El Dorado, Pine Bluff...These towns could easily go to the Ole Miss, Miss St and LSU.  The state is located in an area that can go both ways geographically.  SEC is more exciting and the fans are better.  In the SEC all matchups (exception of Vandy!!) are intriguing.  You can't say that with big 12.  Can you hear yourself saying that you can't wait to get to Ames, Iowa to see the big game between Arkansas and Iowa State.  That dream is on the back burner for me.

"...Every Day"

HawgWyld

Quote from: HouTxRzbck on February 23, 2006, 03:01:37 pm
We had 60 years of playing these SWC schools, that is why people are drawn to them.  We only have 15 years in the SEC.  Wait till 50 years from now and see if people are still talking about the SWC schools.  We will get our rivalries in the SEC.  I can tell you the LSU football matchup is getting better and better.  That boot will start to mean something.

Of course people won't be talking about SWC schools 50 years from now! That would put us in 2066, and most everyone who remembers the old SWC will be dead by then.

And, that silly boot still won't mean crap 50 years from now, either ;)

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2006, 03:06:28 pm
Please please please, amke the big 12 talk stop.  $$$$$$$ is king, and the SEC is king of $$$$$$$.  Did you see for the 04-05 year, the sec had 5 of the top 10 FB profit schools?  Do you know how much Ar gets from the revenue sharing program the SEC has?  $$$$$$$$$ was why we joined the SEC and $$$$$$ is why we will stay. 

+1...Enough Said!!!

"...Every Day"

dirthog

The Sec is where we need to be.  if the Campus wasnt in fayetteville, and was in eastern arkansas we would be very close to other SEC schools. From my Home I can be at ole miss, starkville, bama, and LSu in about the same time it takes to drive from the hill.  People need to understand that Texas is a one sided rivalry. dont get me wrong I grew up hating texas like every other well brought up hog fan, but to the horns we are just another team.  I think that the rivalries in the SEC will come in due time, we just have to stick around and start winning big games.
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

dirthog

was a little late with my post and points were already mentioned, but i just picked up this thread when I got back to my office from class.
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 23, 2006, 03:08:55 pm
Quote from: HouTxRzbck on February 23, 2006, 03:01:37 pm

Of course people won't be talking about SWC schools 50 years from now! That would put us in 2066, and most everyone who remembers the old SWC will be dead by then.

And, that silly boot still won't mean crap 50 years from now, either ;)

It is a silly boot...at least it's gold!! :)

"...Every Day"

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: HouTxRzbck on February 23, 2006, 03:08:40 pmI totally see what you are saying...but UA is more than just NWA.

Bingo!

One can't judge this argument on just the NWA area.  East and South Arkansas are clearly closer to the SEC's schools than whatever is in the Suck 12.

Being from NEA, I wouldn't give a baker's frick about playing Okie State or Kansas State, but I do care about beating Ole Miss and Bama.

A move to that inferior conference should never even be considered.

no one

Quote from: Hogwild07 on February 23, 2006, 02:04:37 pm
He has a good argument.  I wouldnt mind playing Missouri, Texas, and OU every year.  Thr rivalry with LSU does seem "force fed" .  I love that game but there really isnt that much animosity between us and them.  On the otherhand, playing Texas would be much different.  However, the rivalry between us and Tennessee is a pretty good one.

I think the TN game was our best chance at a good rivalry and keeping a tough schedule.  We always played them hard, and people from TN liked the game also.  I wish we would have kept them each year. 
As far as the big 12, I differ on different days.  I think we would have better recruiting ability.  I think more texas players (talent base) would want to play for us if we traveled in that state.  I don't know if we will ever get a rivalry like texas.  And, sad to say, big 12 gets more respect from media, etc, or Auburn would have played for the NC agianst USC instead of OU. Or at least shared the title. 
I hate to get on a different subject (sort of), but if we keep so-so coaches and keep a so-so team (football and basketball), then I would rather play in the big 12.  I would rather be a bigger fish in a smaller pond then a minnow getting ate up, which is what we have been in the 2 sports. 

RazorCaddy

Quote from: GoAngels on February 23, 2006, 03:00:57 pm
I live in NWA right now...we have played these big 12 schools for almost a century...we have hate relationships with these people that go much farther than anything we have with LSU or Auburn....the SEC is great so dont get me wrong...but the school is in NWA not Central or South Arkansas and if you live here you know that there is bad blood between us and the okies...not to mention everything between us and the texas schools....plus who wouldnt love playing KU in Bball...that'd be great...we'd actually be able to make the road trip to the games from here!  I can deal with driving up to KU on a wednesday night watch a game and then drive back...but how the hell am i supposed to do that for LSU or Ole Miss....or any SEC school for that fact...it sucks...if someone can answer me that question then I will say we need to stay in the SEC.
You act as if other SEC schools have this luxury. Do you think LSU fans make the short drive to Gainesville for games? Do you think Ole Miss fans make the drive to Knoxville? Yes, it would be nice to be able to travel to more games but conferences aren't based around this by any means.

FLKeysGuy

If we'd just establish a tradition of kicking the SEC's a$$ in both money sports, this topic wouldn't even come up.  Unfortunately, football and basketball have fallen on hard times causing some sports writers to think they have a "solution".  I say bull!  The SEC is generally considered one of the toughest conferences in the Nation.  Let's just figure out how to dominate it -- like we did in hoops back in the early 90's. :razorback:

Sanctified Swine

Is the SEC that much stronger than the Big 12. Maybe a little stronger, but not that huge if you look at it. Here is a breakdown if you threw us in and threw Baylor out.

Football
SECW                          Big 12 S
LSU                             Texas            Texas gets the edge
Auburn                         Oklahoma       toss up
Alabama                       Texas Tech     Alabama gets the edge
Mississippi                     Texas A&M     A&M get this one
Mississippi St.                OKlahoma St.  Okie St. gets it

looks to me that we would actually be in a tougher division in the Big 12 South than the SEC west. Obviously the SEC East is far superior to the Big 12 north, but the big 12 south would be a monster in football

Basketball

SEC W                        Big 12 S
LSU                            Texas             again texas with the edge
Alabama                      Oklahoma        this is a tough one ---but I think OU get this
Ole Miss                       Okie St.          cowboys get this
Miss St.                       Tech              Tech
Auburn                         A&M               Aggies

again the SEC EAST is superior to the Big 12 North, but guys as far as I am concerned, when I see this comparison..the actual division we would be playing in would be an upgrade. Hard to beleive but true.

So much for the myth

WPS