Pages:
Actions
  • #1551 by jbcarol on 15 Jun 2017
  • Georgia Bulldogs will open their campaign in the dramatically renovated Stegeman Coliseum on Friday, Nov. 10, by hosting Bryant

Stegeman is undergoing the final phase of more than $20-million in upgrades over the past several years. The arena’s inner bowl is the focus of the final portion of the project and will feature a center-hung scoreboard, new seats, significantly upgraded sound and lighting systems and additional LED signage.

“The final stage of the Stegeman renovations is finally here, which will be the most drastic stage of the project,” Fox said “Obviously, the installation of the glass and work on the concourse was significant, and the building looks different from the outside. I think the interior will look just as significantly different as the outside. I also think you’re going to see the game experience change greatly because of the center-hung scoreboard and video boards and all the other things that can be done with that will be a big upgrade for our game atmosphere and our fans.”
  • #1552 by jbcarol on 23 Jun 2017
  • A Message from Scott Stricklin

Design work with the architecture team from HOK continues on the new, standalone football complex, the planned $60 million project that will house all of our football team's daily operations and be located adjacent to the current football practice fields. In addition, the project includes a new dining hall that will service all 500-plus of our Gator student-athletes.

The planned upgrades to Katie Seashole Presley Stadium (softball) and McKethan Stadium (baseball) are also front and center. The selection process to choose the designers for softball is underway, with the same for baseball beginning shortly. Having myself now gone through a spring in Gainesville, I'm more excited than ever about the opportunities to enhance the fan and student-athlete experiences for these highly successful Gator teams. We will have more details on these projects in the weeks ahead as we move forward, but it's safe to say that the finished products will include plenty of shade for our loyal Gator fans!

Here are a few other facility items of note: the swimming and diving natatorium will be getting a much-needed new scoreboard in time for this fall's events … Installation of new LED 'ribbon' boards at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium occurs this summer. These boards will be on the upper deck fascia in the north and south end zones, and provide more real-time information for fans at The Swamp … The highly popular court projection that was used prior to the UF-UK men's basketball game at Exactech Arena in February will become a regular part of the O'Connell Center. The system used for the projection is being installed permanently, which will allow for use at all Gator home events in the O'Dome (volleyball, gymnastics, women's and men's basketball).

#WeChomp

In May, we launched a new social media initiative to engage our fans all across the world, #WeChomp.
  • #1553 by jbcarol on 30 Jun 2017
  • #1554 by jbcarol on 06 Jul 2017
  • #1555 by jbcarol on 12 Jul 2017
  • #1556 by NoNC4Tubs on 13 Jul 2017

• Very nice looking facility!  8)
  • #1557 by jbcarol on 17 Jul 2017
  • #1558 by jbcarol on 20 Jul 2017
  • #1559 by jbcarol on 20 Jul 2017

• #1560 by jbcarol on 20 Jul 2017
  •  Joe Rexrode‏Verified account @joerexrode Jul 18

Vanderbilt fans: Soliciting your thoughts on Vandy sharing a stadium with an MLS team at the fairgrounds.
  • #1561 by jbcarol on 20 Jul 2017

• NBBJ and EOP

The two architectural firms also designed a previous plan to overhaul Rupp and the convention center at the same time. The more than $350 million project was suspended in June 2014 after the group failed to get state money for the much larger project. The project was then scaled back.

“I’ve had people stop me in front of the Hilton and ask me ‘Where’s Rupp Arena?’” said Bill Owen, president and CEO of Lexington Center. The Hilton is across the street from Rupp Arena.

By not expanding the upper bowl of Rupp Arena, the group saved about $100 million, said Owen.

Thanks to new technology that was not available three years ago, Lexington Center can replace the benches on the second tier of Rupp with chair-backed seats. Owen said he will travel soon to a stadium that used that technology to see if it will work in Rupp Arena.

The addition of the chair-backed seats would result in fewer seats in the very top portion of the arena, Lexington Center officials said. The exact number has not yet been determined.
  • #1562 by jbcarol on 20 Jul 2017
  • #1563 by jbcarol on 22 Jul 2017
  • #1564 by jbcarol on 22 Jul 2017

The more you think about Vanderbilt football moving off campus and sharing a stadium with a Major League Soccer team at The Fairgrounds Nashville, the more it grows on you.

For example, I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit for the past few months and the idea has been upgraded in my mind from “a nuclear winter’s worth of dumb” to “terrible.” By the time they break ground in a few years, it could rise as high as “unfortunate.”

That’s about my ceiling. Not so for everyone, including some folks in Vanderbilt athletics who have become so disillusioned by the inability to create funding momentum for a Vanderbilt Stadium makeover or replacement, they view this as the last life preserver.

They don’t believe there’s any way something will get done on campus, so the opportunity for brand-new digs at a reduced cost is worth moving three miles away and sharing a space with the MLS team the city hopes to land. This line of thinking speaks to the philosophical chasm between academics and athletics at Vanderbilt and to a lack of vision.

Someone has to see how damaging this would be to Vanderbilt football. Someone has to see how good things actually are on Vanderbilt football Saturdays, other than the state of the facility. Someone has to step forward and say “no thank you” on behalf of Vandy to Metro — Mayor Megan Barry
Pages:
Actions