Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Take

Started by VBMark, April 27, 2024, 12:10:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VBMark

It looks like we are on some good college players. However, we're not competing for the top tier players in the portal.

Look at who we get to campus. Are they also testing Alabama, Texas, Clemson, Florida State, Oregon, etc.?

No, we're competing for teams with Kentucky, Kansas State, Baylor, etc.

Sam needs to take a serious look at this.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Oklahawg

How many of the "Bama, etc" schools have openings? I don't know, just asking.

My guess is that the more elite schools have a stronger depth situation (and, thus, that is why they are elite) and we are chasing depth they don't need.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

AwholeHog

It's not just finding out who bama and Ohio state are after and getting involved. It's a matter of needs and what your depth is at need positions. You're not going to get many of the highest rated portal players (an inexact science in itself) at a position that you're pretty solid at and are just needing a little more depth.
They are offering several best availables now because the depth is at a reasonable level at most positions. There has been more retention this time of current roster players. And there are still more players to yet enter the portal trackers that we see. The coaches know who a lot of these players will be. Their portal info is much different than ours.
And even the big boys go after players that don't exactly excite the fan base. Right now Alabama and Auburn are slugging it out over a DB from South Alabama.

ricepig

Quote from: VBMark on April 27, 2024, 12:10:30 pmIt looks like we are on some good college players. However, we're not competing for the top tier players in the portal.

Look at who we get to campus. Are they also testing Alabama, Texas, Clemson, Florida State, Oregon, etc.?

No, we're competing for teams with Kentucky, Kansas State, Baylor, etc.

Sam needs to take a serious look at this.

You don't think they know who's available and who isn't? They aren't getting those guys because, either we can't afford them, or they aren't interested no matter the price. My guess, we can't afford them. The only way this will be corrected is for more people to give more money, if you aren't giving, no need to complain, if you are, convince others.

ArkansasI

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2024, 08:39:06 amYou don't think they know who's available and who isn't? They aren't getting those guys because, either we can't afford them, or they aren't interested no matter the price. My guess, we can't afford them. The only way this will be corrected is for more people to give more money, if you aren't giving, no need to complain, if you are, convince others.

Exactly.  I don't understand why the OP thought it necessary to share his take.

Sam hasn't solved our problem, but he's been waging war while handcuffed and without ammunition. It's tough to raise a militia to join a losing battle.

As Sam has changed strategy when needed, his field generals have been focused upon seeking their own rewards.  I get it... and so should all of us.  Until Razorback football locates angel funding for an 85 man roster, we're going to have to grind this thing out with guys ornery enough to beat opponents with better physical tools.

It is unlikely we will find a Hall of Fame football coach that is willing to exchange a guaranteed buyout for an additional 4 or 5 years to create a fairy tale ending. But if he's got mega-wealthy friends of our university it could happen.  And the UofA has some friends that can make it happen.  Does Nick Saban want to prove it was him and not Bama that is most responsible?  He is now available...

Of course, the sad thing is there are precious few Razorbacks left in this world.  Everyone is an independent contractor these days.  Oddly enough, that may make football success more probable for Hog Nation - assuming a mega rich donor prefers to see the Hogs win a football natty rather than do something truly remarkable with their fortune.

Come to think of it, the University of Arkansas competing in football would seem quite remarkable... given the headwinds.

VBMark

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 28, 2024, 09:29:20 amExactly.  I don't understand why the OP thought it necessary to share his take.

Sam hasn't solved our problem, but he's been waging war while handcuffed and without ammunition. It's tough to raise a militia to join a losing battle.

As Sam has changed strategy when needed, his field generals have been focused upon seeking their own rewards.  I get it... and so should all of us.  Until Razorback football locates angel funding for an 85 man roster, we're going to have to grind this thing out with guys ornery enough to beat opponents with better physical tools.

It is unlikely we will find a Hall of Fame football coach that is willing to exchange a guaranteed buyout for an additional 4 or 5 years to create a fairy tale ending. But if he's got mega-wealthy friends of our university it could happen.  And the UofA has some friends that can make it happen.  Does Nick Saban want to prove it was him and not Bama that is most responsible?  He is now available...

Of course, the sad thing is there are precious few Razorbacks left in this world.  Everyone is an independent contractor these days.  Oddly enough, that may make football success more probable for Hog Nation - assuming a mega rich donor prefers to see the Hogs win a football natty rather than do something truly remarkable with their fortune.

Come to think of it, the University of Arkansas competing in football would seem quite remarkable... given the headwinds.
Quote from: ArkansasI on April 28, 2024, 09:29:20 amExactly.  I don't understand why the OP thought it necessary to share his take.

So you disagree with my take? You don't understand it?

Let me clear it up for you. Winning in any sport is more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and the Os. Remember that saying? You can't get to competing with the top tier if you can't occasionally beat them for a recruit.

I refuse to believe that we can't compete at areas of need with the so-called big boys. We have seven scholarships available. Invest in one position above all others with the remaining scholarships.

We can get depth without paying high NIL prices. Pick one position that you are willing to be the top of the market. That's how the business world works.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

tophawg19

Quote from: VBMark on April 28, 2024, 10:15:53 amSo you disagree with my take? You don't understand it?

Let me clear it up for you. Winning in any sport is more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and the Os. Remember that saying? You can't get to competing with the top tier if you can't occasionally beat them for a recruit.

I refuse to believe that we can't compete at areas of need with the so-called big boys. We have seven scholarships available. Invest in one position above all others with the remaining scholarships.

We can get depth without paying high NIL prices. Pick one position that you are willing to be the top of the market. That's how the business world works.
Sorry but that isn't true. You see good coaches beat more talented teams all the time. You have to have a good balance of both . A good O/C can use the rules to his advantage to beat a better team. And turn average players into better players than their skillset by maximizing what they do have
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ArkansasI

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 28, 2024, 10:41:04 amSorry but that isn't true. You see good coaches beat more talented teams all the time. You have to have a good balance of both . A good O/C can use the rules to his advantage to beat a better team. And turn average players into better players than their skillset by maximizing what they do have

Correct. We're not App. State. But we're going to have to win a few we shouldn't before the ship is rited.

The quickest route to winning is through money. Absent cash, we'll have to earn this thing. 🙂