Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss Portal Class

Started by sowmonella, January 17, 2024, 04:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Anyone have a ballpark guess as to what it cost them?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Baba Hogga

Walter Nolen was rumored at $1 million by himself.

Let's say $2.2 million.

B Ray

Quote from: Baba Hogga on January 17, 2024, 04:20:32 pmWalter Nolen was rumored at $1 million by himself.

Let's say $2.2 million.
With all the transfers , I bet more than that

kaki

While I know you specifically posted about portal spending, I would be interested in their 2024 NIL expense.  Rumor said Dart (QB) got a bump to $1.2m.  Judkins was said to be upset with his attempts to get a bump.

I understand the origin of the lawsuit and rationale in determining the NIL ruling, but my pea brain leads me to question how the Value of multiple athletes in Oxford or Fayetteville and so on could justify high six to seven figure numbers for use of their name image or likeness.  If the intent was to allow bidding wars to attract athletes, just be honest and call it that. 

sowmonella

Quote from: kaki on January 17, 2024, 05:39:36 pmWhile I know you specifically posted about portal spending, I would be interested in their 2024 NIL expense.  Rumor said Dart (QB) got a bump to $1.2m.  Judkins was said to be upset with his attempts to get a bump.

I understand the origin of the lawsuit and rationale in determining the NIL ruling, but my pea brain leads me to question how the Value of multiple athletes in Oxford or Fayetteville and so on could justify high six to seven figure numbers for use of their name image or likeness.  If the intent was to allow bidding wars to attract athletes, just be honest and call it that. 

I meant to say NIL but wasn't sure how to spell it. 😉
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

tophawg19

however much it is, they are killing us
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Oklahawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2024, 06:29:54 pmhowever much it is, they are killing us

Credit card spending, at least a rumor I've heard. They are hoping that a big season allows for the payout checks to not bounce.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Paul

kaki

It appears they put their financial eggs in the 2024 basket and that might work, but still  much if not all of the revenue that the school garners as the spoils of victory would go into the University and/or athletic coffers.  Yes donations likely go up, but not all the huge donors are postured to do this year in and year out.  Even that crooked Dickie Scruggs will drain his tainted money over time.

tophawg19

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 17, 2024, 07:45:00 pmCredit card spending, at least a rumor I've heard. They are hoping that a big season allows for the payout checks to not bounce.
Or like A&M , make promises to get them signed and then only pay a few checks. That has blown up in the Ag's face. But they are buying players again. We have fallen behind badly in the portal at a time when we needed a strong push with all these big teams losing players and we can't get them.

island hog

My Aggie friends who are boosters and close to the program say that boosters are saying enough already with the NIL.  They are tapped out and not going to chase recruits with increased dollars.

go hogues

They've raised at least 8 million dollars from their collective each of the last two seasons.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Gohogsfan14

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 17, 2024, 07:45:00 pmCredit card spending, at least a rumor I've heard. They are hoping that a big season allows for the payout checks to not bounce.

Even if they do they'll probably just make the same promises to a new batch of transfers next offseason and players will never learn.

jm

You guys must not have heard that NIL is not used to recruit players; NIL is just individual businesses that can pay players to sign things or do advertising for them!

REBELHOG4

Quote from: go hogues on January 17, 2024, 10:32:05 pmThey've raised at least 8 million dollars from their collective each of the last two seasons.
not doubting, but we know this how

Oklahawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2024, 09:59:22 pmOr like A&M , make promises to get them signed and then only pay a few checks. That has blown up in the Ag's face. But they are buying players again. We have fallen behind badly in the portal at a time when we needed a strong push with all these big teams losing players and we can't get them.

Possible.

An alternate take - we are not competing for the 12-team playoff bye spots (top 4 seeds) we are competing for a winning record and top-half of the conference relevance. That means we can chase a broader swath of recruits. Many of those players leaving Bama (for example, stay tuned on Harbaugh at Michigan) are only going to look at a handful of schools and we are not competing with them in 2024. Lets chase a win at Okie State, and go 4-0 out of conference. That makes finding 2-4 wins in the SEC a more confident task. We are chasing portal guys who can help with those wins, not the SEC CG.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawg IQ

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2024, 09:59:22 pmOr like A&M , make promises to get them signed and then only pay a few checks. That has blown up in the Ag's face. But they are buying players again. We have fallen behind badly in the portal at a time when we needed a strong push with all these big teams losing players and we can't get them.

I do wonder about teams like Ol Miss and ATM?  I think some of hogs issues last fall was because some got paid a lot and others didn't.
   What kind of team chemistry or locker room ensues ?  A block don't get made here and there because of paydays.
 That's one reason on pay for performance with NILs should work better. 1.2 mil for Nolan is absurd.  So managing nil money fairly will become the most successful programs I think.
Paying folks has not help A&M. I am anxious to see at ol miss?
go hogs go !

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 19, 2024, 09:14:42 amI do wonder about teams like Ol Miss and ATM?  I think some of hogs issues last fall was because some got paid a lot and others didn't.
   What kind of team chemistry or locker room ensues ?  A block don't get made here and there because of paydays.
 That's one reason on pay for performance with NILs should work better. 1.2 mil for Nolan is absurd.  So managing nil money fairly will become the most successful programs I think.
Paying folks has not help A&M. I am anxious to see at ol miss?

Chemistry is less fragile when winning. We were quite competitive for 8-9 games. Then, chemistry imploded. Sometimes, a high-performing captain or team leader can rally the troops despite the grousing behind the scenes.

NIL is a wonderful experiment in human nature, isn't it? We learn a lot of economics and psychology just by being sports fans.

liljo

Quote from: jm on January 18, 2024, 10:46:51 amYou guys must not have heard that NIL is not used to recruit players; NIL is just individual businesses that can pay players to sign things or do advertising for them!
Yeah!
(nod nod wink wink)
 ;)
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

hawgsalot

Quote from: jm on January 18, 2024, 10:46:51 amYou guys must not have heard that NIL is not used to recruit players; NIL is just individual businesses that can pay players to sign things or do advertising for them!

Weren't those arguments fun, I still can't believe some on this board believed it wouldn't directly impact recruiting.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2024, 11:29:14 amChemistry is less fragile when winning. We were quite competitive for 8-9 games. Then, chemistry imploded. Sometimes, a high-performing captain or team leader can rally the troops despite the grousing behind the scenes.

NIL is a wonderful experiment in human nature, isn't it? We learn a lot of economics and psychology just by being sports fans.
I think since it's so new it's still an unknown factor.
 It is obvious teams like Ol Miss is exploiting the pay for play. I also wonder why Arkansas has not brought/ bought better or more Oline guys. Maybe we either don't have the money or we taken a somewhat higher road in all of it.

Maybe it was factor in some of the portal guys we got.
go hogs go !

B Ray

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 19, 2024, 05:00:54 pmI think since it's so new it's still an unknown factor.
 It is obvious teams like Ol Miss is exploiting the pay for play. I also wonder why Arkansas has not brought/ bought better or more Oline guys. Maybe we either don't have the money or we taken a somewhat higher road in all of it.

Im hearing it's a money thing, we did get some , but some doesn't last very long.

PorkBilly

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 19, 2024, 05:00:54 pmI think since it's so new it's still an unknown factor.

I honestly think the disparity in KJs payout and others created a locker room problem. No proof. No source. He just never seemed to rally anyone. Then the problem with Enos. Disaster.

Oklahawg

As PorkBilly refers to, we just experienced a season where we had two really high NIL contracts and it created problems within the locker room. Supposedly. To casual fans watching for something, anything, to explain the absolute collapse late in the year that became a reasonable explanation. In response, we opted to not chase a couple of high NIL guys and then fill in around them.

Our budget for NIL is much better than a year ago, but (HS recruiting here) we would still likely lose the two elite OTs we chased and lost due to NIL. We missed on a couple of WRs and that would not change. We were almost laughed at by Rashada who was barely in his car leaving town when we were crossed off his list of options because of lackluster NIL. (Did we miss anything there?) The uber-elite portal guys almost universally chase a team lurking in the playoff picture AND with an obvious starting spot. While we offer the latter, we don't offer the former, and we do not have the $$$ to counteract that.

I don't need us to land Walter Nolan at $1.2M or whatever the rumored amount might be. I need us to land someone who can contribute and make us incrementally better. Do that at each roster spot that we fill with a portal guy. Move up the pecking order from "fighting for a bowl" to "fighting for a NYD bowl". The next year, move to the next level.

tophawg19

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2024, 08:57:46 pmAs PorkBilly refers to, we just experienced a season where we had two really high NIL contracts and it created problems within the locker room. Supposedly. To casual fans watching for something, anything, to explain the absolute collapse late in the year that became a reasonable explanation. In response, we opted to not chase a couple of high NIL guys and then fill in around them.

Our budget for NIL is much better than a year ago, but (HS recruiting here) we would still likely lose the two elite OTs we chased and lost due to NIL. We missed on a couple of WRs and that would not change. We were almost laughed at by Rashada who was barely in his car leaving town when we were crossed off his list of options because of lackluster NIL. (Did we miss anything there?) The uber-elite portal guys almost universally chase a team lurking in the playoff picture AND with an obvious starting spot. While we offer the latter, we don't offer the former, and we do not have the $$$ to counteract that.

I don't need us to land Walter Nolan at $1.2M or whatever the rumored amount might be. I need us to land someone who can contribute and make us incrementally better. Do that at each roster spot that we fill with a portal guy. Move up the pecking order from "fighting for a bowl" to "fighting for a NYD bowl". The next year, move to the next level.
We have to get some of the high impact players. Everyone we are playing is drawing them in except MSU. We can't continue on this path and expect success. We are getting beat in the portal by teams we should at least be even with

hawg IQ

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2024, 08:57:46 pmAs PorkBilly refers to, we just experienced a season where we had two really high NIL contracts and it created problems within the locker room. Supposedly. To casual fans watching for something, anything, to explain the absolute collapse late in the year that became a reasonable explanation. In response, we opted to not chase a couple of high NIL guys and then fill in around them.

I like your thinking on ways to up grade our program, a little at a time.  While it flys in the face of Sam haters, it makes sense. Those haters want instant successes.

I am anxious to see if the ol miss way will work. The players trying to go portal from Alabama being a lot of 5 stars is going to change the dynamics however.
 Now a great d back or tackle from south college state will be competing with Bama elites.
  I do believe big dollars ultimately will not be the answer because there too many variables. It may work until it don't .

I did see where hog staff in looking coast to coast for talent. Getting outside sec competitive beltway might help with lack of nil money.
go hogs go !

arlhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 19, 2024, 11:11:22 pmWe have to get some of the high impact players. Everyone we are playing is drawing them in except MSU. We can't continue on this path and expect success. We are getting beat in the portal by teams we should at least be even with
It's like Kiffin said last year after their Georgia loss, and i'm paraphrasing but something like we have to recruit better, they have 24 five star players and we have one.   It's that simple.    You can talk development or whatever you want but you have to have the talent period.

B Ray

Quote from: arlhog on January 20, 2024, 09:52:50 amIt's like Kiffin said last year after their Georgia loss, and i'm paraphrasing but something like we have to recruit better, they have 24 five star players and we have one.   It's that simple.    You can talk development or whatever you want but you have to have the talent period.
I agree , players want a chance to win Championships in recent years past, Bama, Ga , Ohio St , Michigan are the teams getting a lot of the 5 stars.

HogBreath

Quote from: island hog on January 17, 2024, 10:06:15 pmMy Aggie friends who are boosters and close to the program say that boosters are saying enough already with the NIL.  They are tapped out and not going to chase recruits with increased dollars.

And the 75 million they gave Dumbo Fisher to go away likely din't do much to soothe lil' Aggy's ruffled feathers.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Oklahawg

Quote from: HogBreath on January 22, 2024, 04:58:45 pmAnd the 75 million they gave Dumbo Fisher to go away likely din't do much to soothe lil' Aggy's ruffled feathers.

But, maybe, it reduces leftover pocket change that could go to NIL.

REBELHOG4

Quote from: B Ray on January 17, 2024, 04:58:17 pmWith all the transfers , I bet more than that
they won 11 games, think that might have helped

ChicoHog

January 24, 2024, 06:10:24 pm #31 Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 12:36:59 pm by ChicoHog
This is a great example of why I don't like NIL.  You can have great recruiters on your staff but if most of the players value money more than playing for a coach like Saban or a team with realistic championship hopes it doesn't matter.  I think a big reason Saban retired is because of NIL.  Bama does not have the collective money of Oregon, Ohio St, UGA, A&M, Texas, etc., and players may take a discount to play for him but since he is gone then many of them are leaving for greener ($) pastures.  If Mississippi donors are paying up big time it's not so much about Kiffin or their recruiting ability but about the money.  Same with Auburn and Hugh Freeze. 

It used to be hiring great recruiters was very important.  Not sure if it is anymore. 

B Ray

Quote from: REBELHOG4 on January 23, 2024, 10:52:20 pmthey won 11 games, think that might have helped
My post was in reference to how much money was spent on transfers, yes Ole Miss is hot place to go , they are positioned for a great season.

AHiD

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 18, 2024, 07:13:58 pmPossible.

An alternate take - we are not competing for the 12-team playoff bye spots (top 4 seeds) we are competing for a winning record and top-half of the conference relevance. That means we can chase a broader swath of recruits. Many of those players leaving Bama (for example, stay tuned on Harbaugh at Michigan) are only going to look at a handful of schools and we are not competing with them in 2024. Lets chase a win at Okie State, and go 4-0 out of conference. That makes finding 2-4 wins in the SEC a more confident task. We are chasing portal guys who can help with those wins, not the SEC CG.

I thought Yurachek said that his goal was to compete for championships
My name...is Jerruh

redleg

I guess I do not understand the NIL crap. A lot of you are saying that it cost Ole Miss x-amount of dollars to get all of these transfer...but I thought the schools weren't suppose to have anything to do with NIL...that it was the "student-athlete" who was suppose to go get their own deals and their own endorsements, and the universities were to take no part in it at all!

Am I wrong?
Or am I just naive to think that?
Someone please explain this bulls*** to me.  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Quote from: AHiD on January 26, 2024, 10:00:37 amI thought Yurachek said that his goal was to compete for championships

You have to walk before you can run.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 18, 2024, 07:13:58 pmPossible.

Sad but true

Dominicanhog

tophawg19

Arkansas has tried to color between the lines. Other teams haven't even stayed on the same page. They are abusing the NIL rules and many others. Ole Miss looks like this years Tex Ag's from last year. A lot of ag players left because they didn't get the promised money. The payments got shut off. I'm hearing that Ole Miss is playing on money they don't have. Throwing big bucks and hoping it comes in on time . Certain teams athletic programs are leaking money down to NIL but even if caught, I doubt the NCAA has the balls to do much. Proving it may be tough unless people come forward. We are eventually going to have to fight fire with fire like it or not

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Ummmmmm maybe but I doubt it. Their collective should easily cover the payouts.  Winning 11 games probably doesn't hurt either.

Their head coach is not only on all the social media stuff but he embraces it.  Seems like the kids love his swagger. Meanwhile every time we see Pitty it looks like someone put thumbtacks in his chair right before he sat down.
Let's make some waves.