Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Two Pass Plays Johnson Can Handle

Started by Snarlton, October 22, 2005, 10:46:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarlton

Nutt's favorite:  the bootleg job where Johnson tosses it for 5 yards in the flat to Hillis 95% of the time.

2nd favorite:  screen pass to the running back.

Both of those plays are always run to the right side.

If we are calling these two pass plays, almost exclusively, because it's all Johnson can handle... crap I don't even want to finish this thought. 

My mind keeps going back to the USC game where Mortensen audibled and zipped a quick pass over the middle for a touchdown.  We get zero of that action with Johnson, so yank him out of there yesterday.  You can't get me to believe Mortensen wouldn't have improved  into a decent quarterback by this point in the season had he been getting as much game time as Johnson.  Johnson has gotten WORSE.  He doesn't make any use of his supposed mobility advantage. 

Porky Pig

I'll agree with that post and add that I don't think RJ has the ability to throw it over the middle, throw a quick slant route, throw it in traffic with accuracy, or throw it when he's on the run. Stuff that he should be doing by now. I honestly believe that those kind of plays were called today but Johnson can't get the ball to the open man unless the guy is 5-10 yards away from him.  It's time to start another QB for the last four games. I'd prefer it be little Mort(because of experience) over Casey Dick unless Dick is head and shoulders better.

WILL CLINTON

There has been a lot of jokes that our playbook is only 6 plays long.  But in all honesty, does anyone think it consists of 10-15 plays.  I dont think so,  I really dont. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

kremlinhog

i agree snarlton but you left out one fact, the passes to hillis down and out are always thrown short of the first down marker and its assumed hillis will break the tackle and make a first down as he sometimes does. the play is not really designed to get a first down on its own merits, just poor tackling

ki285

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: ConwayHog on October 22, 2005, 11:38:17 pm
Johnson is not an SEC QB. Play Mort.

You think today's playcalling would have been any different had Mort been in there?

We aren't going to win with any of these current QBs OR the current offensive system.  Period.

I mean, I'm all for giving the backups a chance, but there's no way in hell Nutt is going to magically "open up" the offense just because Mortensen is in there.

Watching us on 3rd & long is one of the most painful things a person could ever be subjected to.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on October 23, 2005, 02:00:33 am
Watching us on 3rd & long is one of the most painful things a person could ever be subjected to.

I agree.  We have about as much chance of converting 3rd and long as we do of beating SEC teams with winning records.  ;)
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.