Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinion of Herring

Started by GrizzledHogFan, October 22, 2005, 04:13:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

After today's game against Georgia, what is your opinion of Herring?

He's a great coach.  Unlike Nutt, he actually does more with less.
14 (18.9%)
He's probably good.  I'll give him at least until the end of next season.
40 (54.1%)
He's probably good.  I'll give him until the end of this season before making up my mind.
13 (17.6%)
He's probably bad, but I'm not sure yet.
3 (4.1%)
He's terrible.  I want him gone yesterday.
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 29, 2005, 04:13:05 pm

GrizzledHogFan

Personally, I'm going with #2.  I think he's probably good, and will give him at least until the end of next season so that we have a chance to see what he might do with his type of players.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Doyle Hograves

I will say this - I think Reggie talks WAY too much poo poo for the way his defense plays. To hear the man talk, you'd think they would knock your Casey Dick in the dirt, but that obviously isn't the case. The only reason I don't want him gone today is that these aren't his players and they may not actually fit into what he wants, and we all know that the talent is poor on defense. I recall during spring practice he'd make people wear a pink jersey if he felt they weren't putting out to capacity. I think Reggie ought to have to wear a pink shirt for our next game.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: ArkieRebel on October 22, 2005, 04:32:52 pm
I will say this - I think Reggie talks WAY too much poo poo for the way his defense plays. To hear the man talk, you'd think they would knock your Casey Dick in the dirt, but that obviously isn't the case. The only reason I don't want him gone today is that these aren't his players and they may not actually fit into what he wants, and we all know that the talent is poor on defense. I recall during spring practice he'd make people wear a pink jersey if he felt they weren't putting out to capacity. I think Reggie ought to have to wear a pink shirt for our next game.

They only gave up 23 to the 4th ranked team using their backup QB.  I saw definate improvements, however i feel we are VERY light in several areas, and want to see if Herring cleans house and releases a few players he feels are not getting it done, and i want to see how he recruits this upcomming season.

Theolesnort

Reggie is playing with a small stick at present. The poo poo you you refer to was not to give the other team board material but to challenge his own guys. People he is really trying with what he has got. Except for qbs Nutt has continued to recruit good for the offense. The defense is another matter the last few years. Herring is doing everything possible to turn things around.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Boarsnest

I was checking out Auburn football forums before we played them last week. I didn't realize that Reggie had coached at Auburn, fans there were talking about his Merry Christmas statements, plus they brought up statements that he had made while at Auburn which made bulletin board material for Auburn opponents. It seems he has a history of keeping his foot in his mouth, I would like to see him shut up and just walk the walk on the field where it matters, forget the talking, people will remember a arse whipping a whole lot longer than what you say!!!

junkyardhog

Reggie could be the best DC in the Country. If given the chance with a good team, he would KILL you.  If Reggie went to OU, you would see how defense looked in the 1960's and 1970's.  He's that darned good.

You can't put a bow tie on a pice of turd and call it George Will, it's still a turd.  Give Reggie some players who'll listen and not be puzzies, he'll turn them into MEN.

These players we have now are just like normal 18 year old kids today; they've been coddled, pampered, and don't know what it's like to throw 700 square bales of hay on top of a pickup truck on a hot June day.  And then, they only reward is to go and jump in the creek and cool off in the evening.  BUT, you know you have half your barn full for the winter.

You little punks who are 18-21 years old and don't know what it's like to work and all you do is just sit around and play your XBOX all day while driving your nice car that momma and daddy paid for do not know what it's like to be successful in life.  THAT's what Reggie is dealing with, and he's doing a fine job doing it!!

arkrzrbacks

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 22, 2005, 05:44:27 pm
Reggie could be the best DC in the Country. If given the chance with a good team, he would KILL you. If Reggie went to OU, you would see how defense looked in the 1960's and 1970's. He's that darned good.

You can't put a bow tie on a pice of turd and call it George Will, it's still a turd. Give Reggie some players who'll listen and not be puzzies, he'll turn them into MEN.

These players we have now are just like normal 18 year old kids today; they've been coddled, pampered, and don't know what it's like to throw 700 square bales of hay on top of a pickup truck on a hot June day. And then, they only reward is to go and jump in the creek and cool off in the evening. BUT, you know you have half your barn full for the winter.

You little punks who are 18-21 years old and don't know what it's like to work and all you do is just sit around and play your XBOX all day while driving your nice car that momma and daddy paid for do not know what it's like to be successful in life. THAT's what Reggie is dealing with, and he's doing a fine job doing it!!

Got to agrre with you 100%, kids even in high school football don't realize the difference in practice now as it was in the 60's and 70's....   

mikeirwin

He may be in trouble. Apparently he went off on KTHV's Wes Moore after the game. Wes asked him about that long pass right before the half. Herring went bonkers. KTHV sent it to us without any audio so I'm still not sure what Herring said. Still checking.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 22, 2005, 06:07:54 pm
He may be in trouble. Apparently he went off on KTHV's Wes Moore after the game. Wes asked him about that long pass right before the half. Herring went bonkers. KTHV sent it to us without any audio so I'm still not sure what Herring said. Still checking.

Your Kidding me.  Oh thats great, just when he shows us signs of improving the program we see this.  Hmmmm

Mike does that give problems to the "can't hire a new caoch cause we might have to fire Herring, and that would mean we would never get a top quality assistant again?" idea?

If i remember correctly you stated Herring's contract was a reason we were not going to switch coaches because if the new coach didn't want Herring and we released him, it would send a message that assistants taking big contracts here, might not get to fullfill them or something along those lines.  If Herring is fired for off field conduct does that have any effect?

pigfoot

Except for the one year at NC State, Herring coached defenses haven't set the world on fire.  He was DC for TCU in 92 and 93.  His defense gave up 28.5 ppg in 92 and 29 ppg in 93.  At Clemson, his defenses gave up 18.2 ppg in 97, 24.7 ppg in 98, 21 ppg in both 99 and 2000, and 28 ppg in 2001.  I wonder if his number one defense that one year at NC State isn't the same aberration as HDN's first year at UA.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

junkyardhog

You can't hide a winner behind stats. Herring is a winner. He always will be. Kind of like the ex-Bama coach. So, the man likes strippers, who cares. I used to like them as well. Matter of fact, the family used to run a very popular strip bar.

Mike, I would like to hear more. I have a feeling we will.

Why don't some of you pony up and be men for once in your lives? Reggies does, and I respect him for that. I don't give a damn what he says to anyone. It's probably true.

pigfoot

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 22, 2005, 07:51:50 pm
You can't hide a winner behind stats. Herring is a winner. He always will be. Kind of like the ex-Bama coach. So, the man likes strippers, who cares. I used to like them as well. Matter of fact, the family used to run a very popular strip bar.

Maybe so, maybe not.  Right now he talks a hell of a lot better game than he plays.

Why don't some of you pony up and be men for once in your lives? Reggies does, and I respect him for that. I don't give a damn what he says to anyone. It's probably true.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

pigfoot

Quote from: pigfoot on October 22, 2005, 08:33:37 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on October 22, 2005, 07:51:50 pm

Maybe so, maybe not. Right now he talks a hell of a lot better game than he plays.

I mnessed up your quote and my post, junkyard.  Want to make sure an "old schooler" like you gets my point.  Herring hasn't showed yet that he's a winner.  Seems to me we are 2-5.  But, I'll give him this:  he talks a lot better game than he plays.

junkyardhog

Herring is taking a bunch of boys who were taught how to lose and making winners out of them. You may not see it this season, but you will see it on down the road. Maybe not even on the field, but if they stick with him, they will be better men in life.

WilsonHog

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 22, 2005, 08:51:17 pm
Herring is taking a bunch of boys who were taught how to lose and making winners out of them. You may not see it this season, but you will see it on down the road. Maybe not even on the field, but if they stick with him, they will be better men in life.

I don't have an opinion on whether Herring should have said what he did. To be honest, I don't particularly care.

My interest in it stems purely from a sociological perspective.

What effect might his comments have?   

Boarsnest

He may not make it that far if he lets his alligator mouth overload his humming bird arse. You may can get away with that in the NFL but he represents the University and they won't allow him to curse the media and throw fits!

junkyardhog

I tell you what, YOU tell RH he has a hummingbird arse. Then I'll take what you have to say in perspective.  You people have been in the dark so long, you forget what a coach with nutts brings to the table.

BTW- Put on your Pink Jersey until you tell Reggie exactly what you just told us.

Hoop, why the turnaround? what has happened to some of you?

I find it interesting that some of you accept HiM's way of talking down to people, yet you blast our coach, (oops, assistant coach Herring)

Honestly, Sociologically speaking, I like it. It tells society as a whole that the hogs still have a little bit of piss and vinegar left in them. Come on Guys, Reggie is giving us some pride in a season where HDN has taken it all from us.

Give the guy a pat on the back.