Houston Nutt
39 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 297

classof1989

Let's try to be objective and fair.

TrumannRazorback24

Saban.  Nobody should even be close.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

IMO there is no question about it. Saban brought a 7 win team that was nothing but average for years and made them into an undefeated #1 ranked team. They will play in the SEC champ game and maybe the NC game.
I can see where people could say Nutt. He took a team that won I think it was three SEC games combined over three years and is likely taking them to the Cotton Bowl. They will likely get smashed there though.

3kgthog

It's gotta be Saban. He's ahead of schedule. Going undefeated (so far) in the SEC should easily win it for him.

SquidBilly

Nutt's team was built for him, he is just the beneficiary of a lot of talent left for him.  Saban and Johnson both built their teams and either would be a worthy winner of the award.

Tusks

obviously we have some of the smartest fans in the land....at least 17 when i voted.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hog on the Hill

I voted Bobby Johnson but Saban was a close runner up.

Idahog

Saban realistically, sentimentally Johnson
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

scarolinahog

I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

GWFan

I picked Saban, ONLY because Urban Myer's name wasn't a choice.  He's gonna thump Saban's Alabama FB team, by the way.

GWFan

Quote from: scarolinahog on November 27, 2008, 09:17:19 pm
Why wasnt petrino on the list?
He doesn't make enough money to be on the list.

kgr

Bobby Johnson.  Built the team from the ground up.
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

Blue35

The filthy Nutt sac has done nothing but pick his nose, scratch his rear and chew his fingers. He deserves nothing but a flogging and then burned in a pit like so much trash. What a horrible despicable sorry excuse of a man he is and that no good woman he hangs with is just as bad. Makes me puke and puke.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: classof1989 on November 27, 2008, 08:39:23 pm

If that's the case, Bobby Petrino for truly doing more with less this season.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

PotBelliedPig29

Bobby Johnson. First bowl for Vandy since 1982. He had some impressive wins considering it is Vanderbilt. I mean let him finally get the credit he deserves.

Ps. Saban stills has a lot of talent left from mike shulas team. JPW, Coffee, Arenas, and that monster offensive line.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

Milton

Meant to Click Johnson but clicked wrong button and hit submitt by mistake and voted for luckiest coach of the year.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

HogSophist

aight, who are the 5 who voted for nuttless?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Milton

Quote from: HogSophist on November 27, 2008, 09:48:49 pm
aight, who are the 5 who voted for nuttless?
I explained my accidental vote, change 1 to Johnson
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Albert Einswine

Saban.  He has Bama on track to win the conference and compete for the BCS title.

In other words, he is in the process of accomplishing more than just "being so close".
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

razorbackmkh

Saban hand downs. Hey, I'll give it to Hootie, he went in to a stocked pond and caught a few fish. He's a cheerleader and for a couple of years with the talent left behind by Orgeron, he will do a decent job at Ole Miss. After he has to start building his own teams we will see a different product. However, I think Nutt knows this himself and won't be at Ole Miss longer than he has to.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: wayne1958 on November 27, 2008, 09:22:46 pm
If that's the case, Bobby Petrino for truly doing more with less this season.
uh the vanderbilt coach should win
and petrino has done what exactly ? i mustve missed that part ...wait , oh yeah right 1-6 in the sec... beat a D1AA team,  a LA directional school , Auburn, and Tulsa.. yep give him the trophy

carlspackler

crap i accidentally hit nutter as well.  oops!  doesn't look like it really matters.

SquidBilly

Johnson and Saban both have wins over TCTWF this year.  Nuff said about that.

deucea729

hawgsav1

1. Saban
     I put him first because he is the first coach in a long time who can come even close to satisfying Tide fans.  Everyone gets compared to Bear Bryant, and someone who is taking a 6-6 team to the brink of a title deserves some credit.

2. Johnson
     Taking Vandy to their first bowl considering the lack of stability Vandy has had since Jay Cutler left is ridiculously impressive, especially considering that they played the toughest schedule in the country (according to some experts) and that they've had a revolving door at QB.  Kudos to Johnson.

3. Nutt
     The national media will crown Nutt because of what he has done, and granted it's been impressive.  However, his predecessor left the cupboard in good shape and all Nutt had to do was change the culture of losing and defeatist attitude of the Ole Miss players.  That was pretty easy considering Nutt's ability as a game-day motivator.  This year was vintage Nutt.  No one expected much out of him, and because expectations were so low, the few victories that he got were leaps and bounds above what Ole Miss fans and media expected out of him.  He won some big ones, and he lost some easy ones.  The more things change, the more they stay the same. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

havok

Saban... the man has Freshmen playing all over the place and is undefeated.  That is hard enough to do in the SEC with experienced upper classmen, much less with guys who were at their HS Prom a few months ago.

bigyellowdog

Saban.  Nutt should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Saban.

longtimeHogfan

If the Hog's had managed to go 6-6 with a bowl bid?  I'd say BP should be coach of the year.  As it is....Saban is the only choice.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

jackflash

I picked Saban. I think Florida is playing the best right now and will beat Alabama. To me Johnson has to be consider for what he done with Vandy.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kgr on November 27, 2008, 09:21:04 pm

Very true but he's been building it for 7 years while Saban has done his in two.  I will say it's much easier to win at bama than Vanderbilt so either one is deserving. 

It would have been interesting to see what Johnson could have done with Ole Miss' talent this year.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

kgr

Quote from: bigyellowdog on November 28, 2008, 08:13:32 am
Saban.  Nutt should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Saban.

Actually TCTWF shouldn't be mentioned~period.
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

OTTER

Quote from: kgr on November 27, 2008, 09:21:04 pm
I agree with that.  Saban has done a great job but Bobby Johnson has done a tremendous job at a university that makes it extremely hard for athlets or any student, to qualify to get in to. 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Boardon Hamsay

I take Johnson for what he's done for Vandy getting them bowl eligible this year.  Saban would be second for simply being on the cusp of a NC (although I think they lose to the Gators). Nutt came into a situation that had no where to go but up.  The only way I give coach of the year honors to anyone that takes over an 0-8 conference team is for them to at least win their division the following year.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

EastTexasHog

November 28, 2008, 10:26:09 am #33 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:28:15 am by EastTexasHog
Saban is the clear winner.  Johnson is second.  Nutt is a distant turd, but Urban should be on the list.

HawgBallLvr

It should go to Saban. But more than likely it will end up being TCTWF.

I hope it doesnt!
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

SupaCrawf

Quote from: classof1989 on November 27, 2008, 08:39:23 pm
I tried, but I can't so I voted for Johnson.  Logic says Saban, but I can't stand that guy.  He's like HDN with the added ability to recruit/gameplan/develop players...
I'm kind of a big deal.

scarolinahog

Quote from: drivetimeporks on November 27, 2008, 10:05:00 pm

uh the vanderbilt coach should win
and petrino has done what exactly ? i mustve missed that part ...wait , oh yeah right 1-6 in the sec... beat a D1AA team,  a LA directional school , Auburn, and Tulsa.. yep give him the trophy

OUCH!
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

Saban and Nutt took teams with huge talent and won games.  Saban hasn't been out talented in a game so far this year and only matched in talent in two.  So he has won 2 difficult games this year.  Nutt has lost 3 games he shouldn't have so far this year.  He has been out talented twice so far and gone 1 and 1 against them.  Bobby Johnson has won 6 times so far this year and has maybe been out talented in every game he has coached so far.  Johnson gets my vote.

Fort Swine

Saban.  #1 team in the nation deserves it.  Hootie is 2nd place in the west.  Nope. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

jgphillips3

However, anyone who would deny the job Saban has done is a fool.  Among those three, Saban has performed above and beyond what anyone could have expected.  Nutt inherited talent and should have finished at 8-4.  No great coaching job there.  Bobby Johnson did a good job early and did get them to bowl eligible finally.

No one being "objective" can say that the records of Ole Miss and Vandy aren't within the realm of reasonable expectation.  Now let's see the show of hands from non-Bama fans who thought they would be the only undefeated BCS conference team on this date.  Yep, love him or hate him, Saban has to be the SEC coach of the year and maybe the national coach of the year.

HotlantaHog

Saban, but Urban Meyer ought to be a choice (especially as there is a good chance Florida will win the SEC championship and go to the BCS championship game.)

LuckyGiraffe

Saban should win in, but somehow Nutt will find a way to be considered 'special'.

LuckyGiraffe

And as I typed that Brando is hyping his butt-buddy on national tv.