Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BIG TWELVE TOP TWO BETTER THAN SEC TOP TWO

Started by EastTexasHog, November 23, 2008, 12:01:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Based on the BCS rankings out today, if Fla beats Bama, the SEC may be out of the NC game.  OU should have jumped Texas today, but didn't.  If Fla beats Bama, we may see Texas and OU at 1 and 2 in the BCS.  Point being, if that OU a$$ kicking on nat TV last night didn't impress pollsters, what will.  OU should be a solid #2 right now with FLA not far behind and TX 4th.  I don't see Bama staying on top.

hawgsav1

Quote from: NWASooner on November 23, 2008, 05:54:40 pm
As for OU, it's which defense shows up.  We've put up big numbers on everybody every single week.  However, the defense that shut Tech down is the same unit that gave up 475 yards passing to Kansas State.

I think people didn't realize how much losing Reynolds hurt.  It wasn't simply Reynolds, but it was how raw his replacement (Austin Box) was.  Box looked downright confused the first couple of games he played, but he managed to get his butt together and played very impressively against Tech. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

arklahoman36

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 23, 2008, 08:30:19 pm
I think people didn't realize how much losing Reynolds hurt.  It wasn't simply Reynolds, but it was how raw his replacement (Austin Box) was.  Box looked downright confused the first couple of games he played, but he managed to get his butt together and played very impressively against Tech. 

And the K-State game was Box's first start. Venables also simplified the D game plan, to keep Box from getting overwhelmed, which has helped the overall D.

jmingram911

jared72404

Quote from: kuhog on November 23, 2008, 01:30:10 pm
I have watched Florida and Alabama this year and their defenses would get slapped around in the Big 12.

Makes about as much sense as your comment, doesn't it?

no, that doesnt.

Sow’sEar

Quote from: EastTexasHog on November 23, 2008, 12:01:40 pm
The poll should be in reverse order: 

1.  Texas
2.  Oklahoma
3.  Florida
4.  Alabama
agreed.

Hornkiller

Huh... I"d take any of those teams over Miss State, Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, South Carolina and sadly Arkansas.  Georgia,  Vandy LSU and Ole Miss would beat TCU and Cincy but would both good games. And none of those teams would be for sure W's against the Big XII.

Give me the negitive ratings now and believe me later, it's a down year for the SEC. Considering there is going to be a very pissed off team waiting in Dallas for New Years day to take their frustration out on a team from the best conference in the land, some fans are going to get to experience what we got to last year. (LSU or Ole Miss probably)

And I think Florida has looked better the last month, but I think all the media love is going to slap them in the face in a few weeks. Does Bama really need more motavation?

Hornkiller

Quote from: 12247 on November 23, 2008, 08:30:00 pm
Based on the BCS rankings out today, if Fla beats Bama, the SEC may be out of the NC game.  OU should have jumped Texas today, but didn't.  If Fla beats Bama, we may see Texas and OU at 1 and 2 in the BCS.  Point being, if that OU a$$ kicking on nat TV last night didn't impress pollsters, what will.  OU should be a solid #2 right now with FLA not far behind and TX 4th.  I don't see Bama staying on top.

Not going to happen.

A. No one wants to see a rematch especially when there could be a Florida vs. Texas or OU match-up. Not a game that you see everyday.
B. It's doubtful that the pollsters would let two teams from the same conference play for the National title unless everyone else plays their way out of it. Even if FSU beat the Gators, Auburn beats the Tide and UCLA beats the Trojans, they'll get Penn State in.
C. You'll have that whole "if you can't win your conference, you don't deserve to play for the NC" attitude that left Georgia out last year and Michigan out 2 years ago.

jgphillips3

Fortunately, unless the Big 12 South winner takes a dive against Missouri, we will get to see on the field how much "better" they are than Bama or Florida.  A lot of people thought TT would beat Oklahoma and they got handled.  A lot of people think OK or UT can beat the SEC champion.  Similarities anyone?

kcabrozaR

WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2008, 12:00:10 am
Fortunately, unless the Big 12 South winner takes a dive against Missouri, we will get to see on the field how much "better" they are than Bama or Florida.  A lot of people thought TT would beat Oklahoma and they got handled.  A lot of people think OK or UT can beat the SEC champion.  Similarities anyone?

If something should occur that puts Utah in the NCG, it won't be like OU vs. Boise State...........an SEC team would absolutely put the smack down on a Mtn West team in the first quarter. Very UN-entertaining. That being said, should OU make it to the NCG, IF they play with the fire and inspiration they played with vs. Tech, it would be a great game to watch for the NC. Trouble is, we all know how OU tends to be when they play in a BCS Bowl.......it is hard to predict.....which team shows up?
Go Hogs Go!

Hornkiller

Yep

A lot of people thought Tennessee would beat Wyoming by double digits at Knoxville. Nobody thought Troy would give LSU a game at night. And remember 2 years ago everyone thought Florida was the token team that got the honor of standing on the field as Ohio State lifted the national championship ball.

Don't be guilty of the same assumptions you point to others making.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hornkiller on November 24, 2008, 10:28:04 am
Yep

A lot of people thought Tennessee would beat Wyoming by double digits at Knoxville. Nobody thought Troy would give LSU a game at night. And remember 2 years ago everyone thought Florida was the token team that got the honor of standing on the field as Ohio State lifted the national championship ball.

Don't be guilty of the same assumptions you point to others making.

Here's what I know to be a fact. SEC SOS is a lot greater than Mtn West SOS. Florida isn't going to be caught with their pants around their ankles again like they allowed themselves to be vs. Ole Miss. They have already had their wake up call. Utah is a good mid level team that could finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 or SEC, probably higher than middle in the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC and maybe win the Big East this year. But they have no clue what it is like to play at the level the SEC or Big 12 plays at week in and week out. That being said, there is the thing of "any given day", but, 9 out of 10 times, the SEC cleans their clocks for them.
Go Hogs Go!

slowride

OU should not have jumped Texas.  Texas beat them on  a neutral field.  No other comparison is as good for teams with the same record than the game they played against each other.

EastexHawg

November 24, 2008, 11:49:48 am #64 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:08:40 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: EastTexasHog on November 23, 2008, 12:01:40 pm
The poll should be in reverse order: 

1.  Texas
2.  Oklahoma
3.  Florida
4.  Alabama

Based on...what?

The Big 12's lofty rating this year is mostly based on all the "top ten" matchups they have had against each other.  But how do we know how good those highly-ranked Big 12 teams are until they play top out of conference competition?

Between Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, and Oklahoma State the best OOC win was Oklahoma's win over TCU.  Is there anyone out there who doesn't think that Alabama, Florida, or Georgia could beat TCU?

How do we know that the entire Big 12 isn't overrated?

MuskogeeHogFan

November 24, 2008, 11:54:31 am #65 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:57:35 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: slowride on November 24, 2008, 10:53:10 am
OU should not have jumped Texas.  Texas beat them on  a neutral field.  No other comparison is as good for teams with the same record than the game they played against each other.

Just a note....they didn't jump Texas, yet. But again, using your rational, Texas Tech should be ahead of Texas? They did beat Texas, you know? And if you really think that playing in Dallas, TX at the Cotton Bowl is a neutral field, then you are delusional. That would be like us saying that playing Texas A&M in Dallas next year would be a neutral field.....as if.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

Quote from: slowride on November 24, 2008, 10:53:10 am

I guess...using the same argument...that you also believe Texas should not have jumped Tech.

It's a circular argument between Texas, Oklahoma, and Tech.  Texas had the chance to make it all moot by beating Tech, but they didn't take care of business.  Now, they don't have any better case for being in the title game than any other one loss team.

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Beaverfever

I see a potential interesting scenario.  Suppose OU loses to OSU this week therefore TT goes to the Big 12 championship game to play Mizzou.  TX would still probably go to the NC game over TT even though TT beat TX and won the South division/conference fair and square.  That would be crazy.  TT would be screaming bloody murder.

bphi11ips

OU is the most complete team I've seen this year.  Sam Bradford is the best college QB. 

Florida will expose Alabama, which has hung by a thread in several games.

Florida v. OU should be a great game and will produce a temporary reprieve for the BCS. 

ESPN will continue to suggest the best team in the country is USC.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Beaverfever

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2008, 12:56:49 pm
OU is the most complete team I've seen this year.  Sam Bradford is the best college QB. 

Florida v. OU should be a great game and will produce a temporary reprieve for the BCS. 

OU's defense has been soft all year and then played good against TT, I'm still not convinced.  And don't count out Bama.  They might not be the most skilled team in the nation, particularly offensively, but I guarantee they can beat any team in the nation if they play well.  I think Bama and Florida will be an epic game. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2008, 12:56:49 pm

ESPN's "suggestion" is just as valid as anyone else's.  Every one loss BCS conference team out there...USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas Tech, Penn State...is in the same boat, trying to prove they "deserve" to be in the championship game, and trying their best to come up with the best (subjective) argument to get them there.

But...it's all nothing more than opinion, and will be so until we get a playoff system.

Question:  If the NFL didn't have a playoff system, and determined the participants in the Super Bowl based on who was ranked highest in a poll conducted at the end of the regular season...would the Giants have gotten the chance to prove they could beat the Patriots last year?  Or would the Cowboys or Packers have been chosen out of the NFC?

The BCS system is appropriately named...as long as you leave out the "C".  It sucks. 

USC deserves to be in the championship game just as much as Texas does...or Florida...or Texas Tech...or Penn State...or Oklahoma.  The only team that can currently make a valid argument that they "deserve" to be ranked where they are is Alabama, and that is subject to change if Florida knocks them off.  The rest of them are reduced to arguing because they didn't take care of business somewhere along the way.

EastTexasHog

Quote from: Death by Hog on November 23, 2008, 12:12:43 pm
1. That has nothing to do with what you are saying...
2. If Ole Miss played that same game at Florida right now...They lose by 14.

Yes it does.  It is evidence that Florida has a weakness that the others don't have.

oklahogjr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2008, 11:54:31 am
Just a note....they didn't jump Texas, yet. But again, using your rational, Texas Tech should be ahead of Texas? They did beat Texas, you know? And if you really think that playing in Dallas, TX at the Cotton Bowl is a neutral field, then you are delusional. That would be like us saying that playing Texas A&M in Dallas next year would be a neutral field.....as if.
it is a neutral field half the tickets go to OU half go to texas its as neutral as you can get in college football
lets go bowlin

Grunt

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 23, 2008, 01:51:44 pm
Yeah right, and OU was better than USC when they played them for the BCS title a few years back.

If I remember correctly USC kicked OU's hind quarters.  Florida will do the same.

The only reason OU wins anything is because I don't want them to.  They are the sport thorn in my side.

ditto!
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oklahogjr on November 24, 2008, 10:24:23 pm
it is a neutral field half the tickets go to OU half go to texas its as neutral as you can get in college football

I'm aware of how the tickets are split up, but the last time I checked a map, Dallas is still in Texas.
Go Hogs Go!

EastTexasHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2008, 10:40:49 pm
I'm aware of how the tickets are split up, but the last time I checked a map, Dallas is still in Texas.

However, this series has been played forever at this venue, so both team's fans are very familiar with the setting.  True, it is in Texas, but that alone does not mean it is a home game.  It is not in Austin and it is not at Oklahoma, so crowd noise, seat location, and all other meaningful factors are 50-50.  That is why it is the best rivalry game every year. 

Hornkiller

Quote from: EastTexasHog on November 25, 2008, 06:41:07 am
However, this series has been played forever at this venue, so both team's fans are very familiar with the setting.  True, it is in Texas, but that alone does not mean it is a home game.  It is not in Austin and it is not at Oklahoma, so crowd noise, seat location, and all other meaningful factors are 50-50.  That is why it is the best rivalry game every year. 

And despite the fact it's in Dallas, the game is actually closer to Norman then Austin.

Hornkiller

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2008, 10:36:07 am
Here's what I know to be a fact. SEC SOS is a lot greater than Mtn West SOS. Florida isn't going to be caught with their pants around their ankles again like they allowed themselves to be vs. Ole Miss. They have already had their wake up call. Utah is a good mid level team that could finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 or SEC, probably higher than middle in the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC and maybe win the Big East this year. But they have no clue what it is like to play at the level the SEC or Big 12 plays at week in and week out. That being said, there is the thing of "any given day", but, 9 out of 10 times, the SEC cleans their clocks for them.

I was replying to jgphillips3 post about everyone thinking the Big XII winner would be the SEC. Which I'm sure no matter OU or Texas, the SEC champ will be the favorite going into the game both in the media and on these boards. I don't see anyone outside of the midwest thinking OU or Texas could beat the Tide or Gators. So let's forget the prospect of painting the SEC champ as the underdog.

I agree the MNT West on their best day can keep up with the giants when their sleeping. Most teams are going to be like Georgia and paste the pasties when given the chance.

Everyone assumes that OU will jump Texas, but the media groundswell seems to be against it. Everyone keeps crying 45-35.

But wait shouldn't Tech then go since they beat Texas? No wait they were pasted by OU. So the team that beat the team that beat Texas should go, right? No because they lost to Texas.

OU will jump because of TCU and Cincy who were better than Texas' nonconference of UTEP and yes Arkansas. Just as Florida is going to benfit from playing a ranked Florida State team.

COACHINTEXAS

Oklahoma has the highest ranked defense in the BIG 12 and guess what that ranking is nationally.............#51

The Big 12 doesn't have or will not see a defense with the likes of the SEC until Bowl season.

Defense wins Championships and the SEC is far superior.  I think Florida or Bama would beat either OU or Texas by two touchdowns in a bowl game.

My top four teams with the way they are playing right now is Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida and Texass!
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

The Hog

I will wait until after the weekend to proclaim the Sooners as the first or second best team in college football.  Lets see if they can repeat their great performance against OSU Saturday.  They wanted Tech and they took it too them and kept pouring it on.  Go Pokes!
Automatic RUN!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hornkiller on November 25, 2008, 10:21:30 am
And despite the fact it's in Dallas, the game is actually closer to Norman then Austin.

Actually, that isn't true, though the difference is hardly worth mentioning. But just FYI as a bit of trivia for future coversations, it is 209 miles from OU to the Cotton Bowl and 197 miles from the University of Texas to the Cotton Bowl.
Go Hogs Go!