Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss

Started by Dances With Hogs, November 22, 2008, 08:40:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

dr_arkansawyer

HDN is a horrible coach!  What are some of you people talking about!?  This is a guy who was ridiculed bc all he knew was "run it up the middle."  He had his a$$ saved several seasons bc of players like Matt Jones and Darren McFadden.  Now he is off at another school, playing the wildcat formation like he made it up.  That is some limited success of the tailcoats of other people. 
Pfffff.
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

HogSlop

November 23, 2008, 01:40:48 am #52 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:42:29 am by HogSlop
Quote from: songofthesword on November 23, 2008, 12:06:23 am
WTH!! how in the hell are you calling me a hugger? are you freaking kidding me? I wanted nutt gone at the FIRST 4-7 season. I probably started the damn fire HDN Bandwagon.. i'm actually insulted by that.

BUT, I'm not blinded by my hatred of the man, as some of you seem to be, that I let it distort fromt he truth.

houston nutt is not a bad coach. Jack Crowe is a bad coach. Houston Nutt, is not Jack Crowe.

Even when I wanted him fired, it never really was because he couldnt' COACH. he couldn't recruit, he couldn't develop any position outside a Running Back. yes all of that has to do with coaching.

case in point, with all that he has done, had he handled the mustain situtation differently I have no doubt he would still be coaching at arkansas.

Not saying I would like it, just saying it is what it is.

I guess what I am trying to say that he's not a bad X and O guy. you give him talent, he can' keep you in more games than he will lose.

He's definatly an improvement over what ole miss had. with that said, I'd take CBP 10 days a week over Nutt.

Dont' be so blinded by nutt hate that it distorts rational thought
Dear Hugger in Denial,

You hug Nutt(s) so hard they're black and blue and licked all over. A head coach is a CEO more than anything else. A good HC hires quality coordinators and position coaches that do most of the actual "coaching", and then he recruits. Nutt's gameplan as the OC was never anymore complex than feed the ball to Cobbs/Matt Jones/McFadden. The dipsh!t doesn't know squat about X's and O's, with the exception of the ones at the end of those texts to Donna. Nutt was never bright enough, or a good enough salesman, to ever bring in any quality players that weren't already hellbent on being Hogs. (Hillis and McFadden) Even when he was able to go out and "buy" Mustain and Williams by hiring their high school coach he was too much of a f*cking prick to keep from letting his ego get in the way and run them, and Malzahn, off. Nutt is a piece of stuff and a terrible coach. End of story.

Sincerely,

Anyone with half a brain
If you just Steven hill, just Steven Hill on Facebook too. Just the link...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43888077153#/group.php?gid=43888077153

scarolinahog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 22, 2008, 10:24:45 pm
Isn't that the irony?  Those calling for BP to go are likely the same ones who would have given nutt a 10 year extension including another free pass.  They would have given him forever, but not even a full season to BP. 

Even the vast majority of the staunchest nutt critics, me very much included, gave him 5 years before the criticisms started, and most of those didn't call for his removal until the 7th season.

I didnt like Nutt because he was a loser. I hate losing games. And I hate almost losing to Western illinois. You should hold Petrino to the same standard as you hold Nuttjob.

As we have Nutt Huggers, we Have petrino huggers as well. We shouldnt have lost the game today. No excuse. We just werent ready and we pay a coach 2. whatever million dollars to get them ready.

And I am NOT calling for Petrinos job. I am just saying he did a piss poor job today. And one more season like this nightmare then I WILL be done with him! 

I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

AFWarrior83

November 23, 2008, 02:33:29 am #54 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:36:11 am by AFWarrior83
Quote from: dhornjr1 on November 23, 2008, 12:43:26 am
No, he couldn't and never will.

You are misleading what I stated man.  I know what you mean ab him never wining one, I meant that "if" he ever did, that Petrino could still out recruit him.  ;D
Hogville member since 2005.

razorbak

QuoteI remember going because Bama was on probation even though they put the wood to the hogs in Fay.

They put the wood to us because of what they did that put them on probation.

That's why you have probation--so teams can't benefit from their cheating to get players.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

newera08

Quote from: songofthesword on November 22, 2008, 08:44:19 PM
houston nutt is not a bad coach. he never was a bad coach. that's what makes it so bad. he wouldnt' have lasted here 10 years if he was a BAD coach.

his stubborness of not wanting to give up the playcalling, the inaiblity to want to surround himself with quality assistant coachs, and his lazyness of recruiting, are his downfall. but i'll take nutt more timas than not as an actual coach.

proper playcalling is part of coaching, hiring good assistants is part of coaching, and yes,  bringing in good recruits is also part of coaching....if you are bad at these, you are a bad coach...

Lake City Hog

No, he will never out recruit Petrino.
As far as coaching, I guess it depends on your definition of a good coach. If you think getting your team "up" to beat Florida on the road is a good coach, OK. But, what about coming home and losing to Vandy and S. Carolina? To me a "good" coach wins the games that he should win and a few that he shouldn't. A "good" coach usually has assistant coaches that become "good" head coaches. A "good" coach at an SEC school should make at least 1 BCS bowl in 10 years, win the Conference at least 1 time in 10 years. A "good" coach checks his ego at the door for the betterment of the program!
Is HDN a "good" coach             NO!!!!!!

nebhog70

Recruiting rankings are VERY overrated.  But they do attract $$$ to pay boards and recruiting services.

4 and 5* high school players DO NOT necessarily translate into 4 and 5* college players.

Notre Dame is the poster child for recruiting ****** ranked players and then producing mediocre results.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

TrumannRazorback24

November 25, 2008, 01:00:14 pm #59 Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:01:47 pm by TrumannRazorback24
Quote from: nebhog70 on November 25, 2008, 12:52:00 pm
Recruiting rankings are VERY overrated.  But they do attract $$$ to pay boards and recruiting services.

4 and 5* high school players DO NOT necessarily translate into 4 and 5* college players.

Notre Dame is the poster child for recruiting ****** ranked players and then producing mediocre results.
I beg to differ.  Recruiting ratings are very important.  Success on the recruiting trail does translate into sucess on the field if you have a competent coach.

The same teams that are in the top 5 year in and year out (USC, Texas) are the ones that have high recruiting rankings every year.

You don't build National championships with diamonds in the rough.  Sorry.

songof the sw, part of being a good head coach is knowing where and how to recruit and then being willing to do it, putting each phase of the team in position to do its very best, calling the game on gameday based on immediate circumstance and what you've taught your team about the team you are currrently playing, being flexible enough to change to what works during the game, having enough control over your charges to teach them life skills and there is punishment if reasonable laws aren't followed, being flexible enough yourself to change if change is necessary, keeping your ego intact, and being careful about lying.  Houston doesn't handle any of this too well.

deshahawg

Who has he ever recruited other than Felix Jones.

songofthesword

i would say he only went out and GOT 3 real recruits in 10 years.. Felix Jones, Ahamad Carroll and Lawerence Richardson. Maybe Sparky Hamilton

cmc3030

just like when he came here he won with  fords players. then poeple will say dmac, matt jones etc. they would have came to ark no matter what. the guy is crap. see it for what it is.
Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 22, 2008, 08:42:07 pm
No.  Nutt can't recruit for stuff.  But I hate to admit it, he's done very well with Ole Miss this year.  I didn't think they had a chance of winning as many as they have this year.  His recruiting will catch up with him much like it did here.

razorrog1

Quote from: tw_haynes on November 22, 2008, 11:54:31 pm
Nutt has Les Miles' number.  He has Tuberville's number.

That's about all he has.
I heard he had a direct number to a select few in the media too.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

yikes!  for a second i thought this was a joke question... i was wrong

judgeroyswine

Quote from: BigJohn on November 22, 2008, 09:10:57 pm
I was wrong about Ole Miss and Nutt.  They will win 8 games.  I thought they would win 9.  Oh yeah, they could win the Cotton Bowl.

Ha Ha Ha.....you just said Ntt could win a bowl game......Braaaa Hahhhh Ha Ha Ha
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Bvilleboar

Get real!  Nutt is getting out recruited by Miss. St AND Southern Miss right now.  He would have to close mighty strong to get to the level of Bobby's class.
2012 the year of the HOGS

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on November 22, 2008, 08:40:05 pm
Could the Nutt end up with a better recruiting class than the hogs, the way we have looked this year?

You should run back to the rivals board real quick. Your type are welcome on that board.

Razorvet

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 23, 2008, 12:30:47 am
It reminds me of the "feed the children" commercial.  Feed the studs, except we don't have many studs to feed right now...

Remember when Casey was gonna be one of the Studs? I knew that day we were in for a long season.

Razorvet

Quote from: nebhog70 on November 25, 2008, 12:52:00 pm

Wow that quote is straight out of DeeZNutts mouth. Are you on the phone with him right now?

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: Bvilleboar on November 25, 2008, 04:57:29 pm
Get real!  Nutt is getting out recruited by Miss. St AND Southern Miss right now.  He would have to close mighty strong to get to the level of Bobby's class.

and not to mention there isn't that many 4 and 5 star guys left... and i'm pretty sure zero are interested in Ole Piss.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: hogrock on November 23, 2008, 12:28:56 am
[b]I guess what I am trying to say that he's not a bad X and O guy. you give him talent, he can' keep you in more games than he will lose.[/b]

So what you're saying is "nuttz is the big ballah shot callah," but other than that he's a SUCKY coach!!!!

And if you can't see that you are blind. Don't be blinded by facts;

Vegas bowl
UNLV game
0 for October-with ALL that freaking talent!
Vandy
Kentucky
Squandered the DMAC, Jones, Hillis years!

U gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!!! He's a horrible coach!!!!! Sheeeesh i don't get any true Razorback fan feeling like they have to make ANY kind of defense or excuse for nuttz, what so freaking ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, you'll take CBP over nuttz, happy for ya. Leave it at that. You "nuttz is not a bad coach" people lose credibility instantly when you say crap like that. WHY do you even feel the need to argue that crap when Razorback fans get pissed about nuttz-WE ARE NOT ASKING YOU TO TELL US TO SETTLE DOWN, AND TO TELL US nuttz IS REALLY A GOOD COACH!!

U got that......"quasi Razorback, closet nuttz hugger, fans?" Dad gum-you say you're a Razorback fan ALL freakin' day but it just goes out the window when u say, "oh, but nuttz is really a good coach."

Quote from: HogSlop on November 23, 2008, 01:40:48 am
Dear Hugger in Denial,

You hug Nutt(s) so hard they're black and blue and licked all over. A head coach is a CEO more than anything else. A good HC hires quality coordinators and position coaches that do most of the actual "coaching", and then he recruits. Nutt's gameplan as the OC was never anymore complex than feed the ball to Cobbs/Matt Jones/McFadden. The dipsh!t doesn't know squat about X's and O's, with the exception of the ones at the end of those texts to Donna. Nutt was never bright enough, or a good enough salesman, to ever bring in any quality players that weren't already hellbent on being Hogs. (Hillis and McFadden) Even when he was able to go out and "buy" Mustain and Williams by hiring their high school coach he was too much of a f*cking prick to keep from letting his ego get in the way and run them, and Malzahn, off. Nutt is a piece of stuff and a terrible coach. End of story.

Sincerely,

Anyone with half a brain

There are such idiots on this board and the two of you are prime examples.

First of all saying that "Nutt is a good coach" does not automatically disqualify you as a Razorback fan. There are some people on here who are too busy sucking on Petrino's balls to actually use logic. Yeah Petrino is a great coach and will do great things for our program but he does make mistakes. He is human. Nutt is not the anti-Christ, sorry didn't mean to ruin it for you. I don't like the man. I am not a "hugger" but I also do not devote every second of my life to bashing the man and sucking CBP's nads. I'm a Hog fan regardless of the coach and I don't go out of my way to praise or bash anybody just because I'm a Hog fan.

Second, why don't you actually read songofthesword's posts? Not once did he say "Houston Nutt is a good coach". He said that Nutt is not a bad coach. And for all of you unintelligent people out there, there are a lot of words that can be used to describe a person's coaching skills that fall between good and bad. Ed Orgeron is a BAD coach. He had tons of talent and could not win with it. Houston Nutt is winning more games than he is with the same talent. That would at worst make Nutt an AVERAGE coach. NOT a good one but an average one because Nutt can win games with talent. There is a difference between average and good in case you didn't know. His problem is that he cannot go out and recruit the talent that he needs in order to win.

I'm going to say this again so that there isn't any confusion. I am not a hugger and do not like Nutt, BUT Nutt is not a bad coach. He is simply an average coach who cannot recruit.

OKhogfan1959

I don't think the guy is average. He's way below average. I guess you can read what you want into his post.

He ruined this program for about 3-4 years but we will bounce back with Petrino who is a way above average coach. When we start winning big we'll see what all these secret im not a hugger fans go to hide.

Rivercrest IMO..Orgeron would have won more games with this years Ole Miss team than Nutt did.

hog_fan

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 22, 2008, 08:49:32 pm

Florida and Tennessee would probably disagree with you.  HDN got us to the SECC game 3 times, but never could cash in.  He is a good coach, just a bad recruiter, cocky and stubborn.

Nice lie their hugger He got us their twice and once was because Bama was on probation.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 25, 2008, 05:49:35 pm
I don't think the guy is average. He's way below average. I guess you can read what you want into his post.

He ruined this program for about 3-4 years but we will bounce back with Petrino who is a way above average coach. When we start winning big we'll see what all these secret im not a hugger fans go to hide.

Rivercrest IMO..Orgeron would have won more games with this years Ole Miss team than Nutt did.

IMO, a person would have to at least be an average coach to win in the SEC. Nutt's teams have upset their fair share of teams and been upset by a lot of teams too. To me, both of those things combine to make him average.

I disagree about Orgeron winning more games than Nutt has. Orgeron was a bad coach and would probably be below .500 if he was coaching Florida, Bama, (insert dominant team here). He had so much talent and never did anything with it.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: RivercrestHog on November 25, 2008, 05:55:00 pm
IMO, a person would have to at least be an average coach to win in the SEC. Nutt's teams have upset their fair share of teams and been upset by a lot of teams too. To me, both of those things combine to make him average.

I disagree about Orgeron winning more games than Nutt has. Orgeron was a bad coach and would probably be below .500 if he was coaching Florida, Bama, (insert dominant team here). He had so much talent and never did anything with it.

We'll never know? He didn't ask for or receive a 2 year pass. Nutt wasted not only talent but ran off people and players that might have won a National Championship. You add Damian and Mitch to 2 NFL backs and have Gus as OC..Just saying.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 25, 2008, 06:02:46 pm
We'll never know? He didn't ask for or receive a 2 year pass. Nutt wasted not only talent but ran off people and players that might have won a National Championship. You add Damian and Mitch to 2 NFL backs and have Gus as OC..Just saying.

I completely agree with you. I'm not a fan Nutt and do not agree with a lot of the things that went on the last few years that he was here but IMO when it all comes down to it he is not a bad coach and is definitely not one of the worst out there.

keithh1999

Quote from: songofthesword on November 22, 2008, 08:44:19 pm
houston nutt is not a bad coach. he never was a bad coach. that's what makes it so bad. he wouldnt' have lasted here 10 years if he was a BAD coach.

his stubborness of not wanting to give up the playcalling, the inaiblity to want to surround himself with quality assistant coachs, and his lazyness of recruiting, are his downfall. but i'll take nutt more timas than not as an actual coach.

At what school?? Surely not at Arkansas == where do you have in mind, ARK TECH??
Pig Farmers are cool.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: 240bgunner on November 25, 2008, 06:34:26 pm
see normally i would stay out of this, but since you think that he is a hugger because of what he said, i must assume that you dropped out of school in the sixth grade since you have no clue how to use homophones. 

nutt was a horrible playcaller, a terrible manager of time, and an average recruiter. 

my opinion is just that, mine.  it dosen't make me right because i believe it, and it dosen't make others wrong because they dont. 

good call on the three times though.

Well IMHO...Barney Fife could do a better job coaching than Nutt. Doesn't make me or you right. It is just my well informed opinion.

MacHog19

The Oxford Oaf did NOT coach the Razorbacks to three SECCG appearances.  Arkansas' first appearance came under Danny Ford.  More specifically to the question, one simply has to look at Houston's track record in recruiting at Arkansas to have an idea of what is ahead for Ole Miss.  If Hootie was coaching at Texas, Florida, or USC (this is merely a hypothetical--stop laughing now!) he would probably improve the quality of his classes by virtue of the reputations of those programs.  But the reality is that he is at Ole Miss, an institution that has had one stellar year since Archie Manning waved the Rebel flag in Oxford almost 40 years ago.  I am pretty confident that Nutt's recruiting will not equal that of Bobby Petrino.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on November 22, 2008, 08:40:05 pm
Could the Nutt end up with a better recruiting class than the hogs, the way we have looked this year?

He would have to make up some major ground for that to happen.  According to rivals he's in the 50's and were 13th in the rankings.   

BP is putting together the best recruiting class I've ever seen at Arkansas.  OM has a waaaaay's to go.

Tusks

did we ever figure out who hootie played when he took the hogs to the SECCG the 3rd time.

8)

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogrock

Quote from: RivercrestHog on November 25, 2008, 05:36:19 pm
There are such idiots on this board and the two of you are prime examples.

First of all saying that "Nutt is a good coach" does not automatically disqualify you as a Razorback fan. There are some people on here who are too busy sucking on Petrino's balls to actually use logic. Yeah Petrino is a great coach and will do great things for our program but he does make mistakes. He is human. Nutt is not the anti-Christ, sorry didn't mean to ruin it for you. I don't like the man. I am not a "hugger" but I also do not devote every second of my life to bashing the man and sucking CBP's nads. I'm a Hog fan regardless of the coach and I don't go out of my way to praise or bash anybody just because I'm a Hog fan.

Second, why don't you actually read songofthesword's posts? Not once did he say "Houston Nutt is a good coach". He said that Nutt is not a bad coach. And for all of you unintelligent people out there, there are a lot of words that can be used to describe a person's coaching skills that fall between good and bad. Ed Orgeron is a BAD coach. He had tons of talent and could not win with it. Houston Nutt is winning more games than he is with the same talent. That would at worst make Nutt an AVERAGE coach. NOT a good one but an average one because Nutt can win games with talent. There is a difference between average and good in case you didn't know. His problem is that he cannot go out and recruit the talent that he needs in order to win.

I'm going to say this again so that there isn't any confusion. I am not a hugger and do not like Nutt, BUT Nutt is not a bad coach. He is simply an average coach who cannot recruit.

rivercrest......what are you, songoftheswords' big brother?

Great, you're not a hugger, you don't like nuttz and you don't think he's a bad coach.  Good for you. What motivates you to come on here and take up for nuttz and come to his defense, and SOS too?

nuttz, with the talent/oc upgrade he had in his last 3 years here, ran this program into the ground. he was the poster boy for doing less with more that anything i've seen in my 42 years. For that, and for his time here, he was a bad coach.

I wish him no ill will; i hope he learns from those mistakes, grows and moves on

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogrock on November 25, 2008, 09:02:54 pm

Great, you're not a hugger, you don't like nuttz and you don't think he's a bad coach.  Good for you. What motivates you to come on here and take up for nuttz and come to his defense, and SOS too?

nuttz, with the talent/oc upgrade he had in his last 3 years here, ran this program into the ground. he was the poster boy for doing less with more that anything i've seen in my 42 years. For that, and for his time here, he was a bad coach.

I wish him no ill will; i hope he learns from those mistakes, grows and moves on

I wish him lots of ill will.  I hope he repeats his past mistakes, and catches a venerial disease and gets what's coming to him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogrock

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 25, 2008, 09:07:11 pm
I wish him lots of ill will.  I hope he repeats his past mistakes, and catches a venerial disease and gets what's coming to him.

Let's put it this way.....i sure as heck wouldn't want him to coach my son-period! Been lovin' the Hogs since 1970 and it sucked to see the future squandered by one man's pettiness, immaturity, lack of management skills, insecurity, etc................. But that's ok b/c what could'a been, will be, but has just been delayed a few years now that CBP is at the helm.

Wildhog

The simple answer to this question is no.  Don't even argue, huggers. 

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

drivetimeporks

nutt's inability to develop a qb, the mere threat of a high school caliber passing game , and his hubris of not allowing someone else to call offensive plays were his downfall... he was incredilbly lucky he had Matt Jones to pull plays out of his butt, same with mcFadden

RivercrestHog

Quote from: hogrock on November 25, 2008, 09:02:54 pm

No I'm not his big brother, but thanks for asking. If you look at the beginning of the thread I had the same opinion that he did so I was also taking up for myself. I'm not talking about anything Nutt did outside of getting something out of his players and translating it to a few wins. Yes, Nutt ran our program into the ground and yes he was a horrific recruiter. I understand that those things are part of being a head coach but that is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about what he did on Saturdays. Overall he is not someone you would want to hire to run your program because of his recruiting and ability to run a program into the ground. But on Saturdays he is not a bad coach. He's not good but he's not as bad as many people on here want to think that he is.

songofthesword

+1

the mistake you are making hogrock and others, is thinking that anything besides an all out hate fest for nutt is a ringing endorsement for the guy. he did some things better than others, and some things he coudln' do at all.

best put, there are some qualities that some people about him would value as a coach, and in some cases, make you overlook the overall package. no where did I say  I want the man to step foot back in arkansas, how that makes me a "hugger" is beyond me.

it's liek the opposite of being a darksider.. like if every other word that comes out your mouth isn't a Fvck Nutt you are a rainbow pooting hugger.

the man is not a BAD coach. he took a team that went 3 and 9 last year and he's going to probably the cotton bowl. bad  gameday coaches dont' do that.

I think overall he will run the program in the ground wiht his character flaws.

I think overall, it's best put in this context... he has the most talent he will ever have at ole miss, a team loaded with first round talent and one of the best QB's in the SEC, probably the best QB he has ever coached to be honest and his entire season will be known as "what could have been".

hogrock

You guys are as clueless as the day is long.  :-\

i don't hate the guy and plainly said i wish him no ill will.......do you get that?

The fact remains is that nuttz is a horrible game day coach....the WORST i've EVER seen. Please explain to me 0 for October, Vegas Bowl, UNLV, Kentucky twice, Vandy, etc......................................... Again, don't let facts get in the way of YOUR argument.

I will give you one thing he was good at; motivating/getting his teams emotionally "up" for that occasional big win. But those are cancelled out by the excessive amounts of blown games/opportunities/seasons/players/coaches/etc..... over the years, where there was obviously no preparation, coaching, planning, etc................ put in.

You both look more and more like idiots every time you post.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: songofthesword on November 22, 2008, 08:44:19 pm

If we're speaking strictly of X's and O's, I tend to agree with this.  But he can't recruit to save his life, and he adjusts as well as a jock strap cemented in place.

He isn't a BAD coach, no.  But he is and will always be The King of Mediocrity!!!
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

songofthesword

Man, I disagree totally about Nutt being a decent Saturday coach.  Hell, he is a better recruiter than Saturday coach.  He is absolutley a horrible Saturday coach.  I'm a fan without coaching experience and only played highschool football and I could call Nutt's next play before he did and be very accurate 75 percent of the time.  DCs licked their chops when this idiot was in charge of the offense.
Nutt had the perfect situation to be a bowl team most years HC.  His formula was knowing an AD that was getting a bad name for interference with coaches andcouldn't hire a real coach, thus, getting a gig at a major conference (SEC) at a time when his team was able to bring in 3 and later on 4 patsies or gimme games annually so he was one half to two thirds of the way to bowl elgilbe usually before the season started.  So the he could win 2 to 5 games in conference and go bowling.  Nutt was/is a poor overall coach.

Dances With Hogs

That just about says it all.
Quote from: HogSlop on November 23, 2008, 01:40:48 am
Dear Hugger in Denial,

Sincerely,

Anyone with half a brain

Prosciutto

Quote from: songofthesword on November 22, 2008, 08:48:25 pm
no.; im' right. yes he has clock management issues, but the man is not a BAD coach, anything otherwise is just blind HDN hate.

not the BEST coach out there, but not a BAD coach.

He can't recruit. Poor clock management. Poor selection of assistants. Poor play calling. What is left??? How can you possibly call this guy a "good " coach??

Hellafied

guess what guys...we need to thank houston nutt for the success he has had here...all the recruits say that i can go to ark. compete in the sec, and have success there. we might have not won a sec championship, but damn we been close and thats good.i would rather be close a lot of times than just win one.. even though you as a fan would love to win it..recruits see that you get there alot and that is a good thing..

doo-ran

Quote from: Hellafied on November 26, 2008, 05:15:59 pm
guess what guys...we need to thank houston nutt for the success he has had here...all the recruits say that i can go to ark. compete in the sec, and have success there. we might have not won a sec championship, but damn we been close and thats good.i would rather be close a lot of times than just win one.. even though you as a fan would love to win it..recruits see that you get there alot and that is a good thing..
Wrong!!!! You settle if you want to, I'm not. Pathetic.

El Puerco

November 26, 2008, 05:22:06 pm #98 Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:24:56 pm by El Puerco
Quote from: Hellafied on November 26, 2008, 05:15:59 pm

Yeah, I thank that suckstick at least once a week for taking $3.5 million of our dollars as a reward for going 8-5 with Mcfadden, Jones, and Hillis in our backfield.  Thanks again, Nutt, you F***ing jerk.

MojaveJoe

Quote from: baconblizzard on November 26, 2008, 04:57:20 pm
He can't recruit. Poor clock management. Poor selection of assistants. Poor play calling. What is left??? How can you possibly call this guy a "good " coach??

Hardly anyone has said he's a good coach. But the fact is, if he has the talent he can get something out of it - he'd never win an NC because even if he had the talent of Fl or USC he'd mess up a couple of times a season.

He's hard to define as a coach - what does he have? If he has the talent, he can get some decent seasons out of it; but he's not a good recruiter, especially on defense.

He's a crummy playcaller and lousy at clock management - but somehow he gets some wins. I think the one thing he does have is the ability to get his players to play hard for him. This means he can get them up for big games (see beating LSU and FL) but its harder to get them to play hard for him on the throw away games (Losing to Vandy and SC). Does this make him a great coach? Hardly. Will it keep him out of the bottom? Yes. A great college coach can 1) Has the X and O's and time management down 2) Gets his players to play hard for him and 3) recruits

He had 1 of those. It appears BP has 2 so far, I believe we'll see the third one next year when he only has players left who buy into the system.

Cheers!