Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky is 0-2 to start the season...

Started by Hogtropolis™, November 18, 2008, 10:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

...when is the last time that happened?  I know it was before the 2001-02 season.  Does anyone know that stat?

pimphog

I hope BCG can turn it around there.  I don't want KY calling for JP. :o

hogsevenseven

pimphog - I was just thinking the same thing.  As much as I dislike UK, I sure don't want them to be searching for a new coach.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: mathhog on November 18, 2008, 10:47:06 pm
http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2001&team=Arkansas&t=p

one year earlier.  in the 00-01 season, Ky started out 0-2, losing to St John's & UCLA in early tournaments.  also lost to a good penn state team to start 1-3, and was sitting at 3-5 in december.

incredibly, they turned it on and went 12-4 in the sec, winning the SECT, making it to the sweet 16 with a 24 win season.

(arkansas beat them that year though, that was the year we lost to Georgetown in Boise on that 'shot clock' buzzer beater in the NCAA 1st round)
Thanks mathhog.  The website I was looking at only went back to the 01-02 season and I was being lazy and didn't search much further than that.  I hope they fall flat on their faces this year when SEC play hits.

Modsquad24

dont think pelphrey would be the first guy that they come looking for anyways, I dont think he has proven enough yet, he's a good coach but the second round is as far as he's been thus far. I think they would go for someone with some elite eight or final four experience first, jmo.

Razorod

kentucky will do what they should've done two years ago--make Calipari their top choice. I still think they could've had him if they hadn't made it apparent that Donovan was their top target. but, i think gillispie will survive and thrive at ky.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Watching Kentucky take a beat down like last night never gets old.

mountainhog

Mo_Better_Hogs

ALLVOL

Quote from: pimphog on November 18, 2008, 10:16:56 pm
Until he proves himself more JP will not be on their radar. If he turns Ark around and makes a big run then you can worry. Until then he is where he will be.

Hawgrox

That University of Northern Carolina looked pretty good!

Coach Obvious

Quote from: Hawgrox on November 19, 2008, 11:23:26 am
That University of Northern Carolina looked pretty good!

And that was without Tyler Hansbrough, their best player.

Hawgrox

Quote from: RazorTusk14 on November 19, 2008, 01:07:04 pm
And that was without Tyler Hansbrough, their best player.

...and without Marcus Ginyard. Probably their best defender.

They lost Zeller last night so Hansbourgh best get well in a hurry.

Marc Maggard

Guys, no worries.  UK isn't going to be needing a new coach anytime soon.  JP is safe for a while.

mm

HogNuttz

Quote from: pimphog on November 18, 2008, 10:16:56 pm

Why in the world does anyone think that KY would go after John Pelphery if Billy Gillespie died today?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Beaverfever

BCG was SEC co-coach of the year in his first season.  I think he's doing ok.  They'd be foolish to fire him any time soon.

Marc Maggard

There is ZERO talk about getting rid of BCG.... none at all.  No idea where this is coming from....lol

mm

newera

I think right now, he's overrated. i'd say last year that they underachieved with the roster they had. Yeah they went to the tourney, but that was because they are kentucky, not because they deserved it... IMO i'm sure that Kentucky is going to do the same thing that WE are doing, give him a few years before we decide if he should stay.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

Hawg Barry

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 20, 2008, 09:26:08 am
Why in the world does anyone think that KY would go after John Pelphery if Billy Gillespie died today?

Exactly. I work with alot of Oklahoma State fans, they think that Travis Ford will be the first one UK calls on.
Crazy talk by both schools at this point.

PetrinoBall is rolling!!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Karma on November 19, 2008, 08:23:44 am
Watching Kentucky take a beat down like last night never gets old.

It will when BCG gets canned over it.  Pel will bolt for Lexington when it happens.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: newera on November 21, 2008, 02:51:48 am
I think right now, he's overrated. i'd say last year that they underachieved with the roster they had. Yeah they went to the tourney, but that was because they are kentucky, not because they deserved it... IMO i'm sure that Kentucky is going to do the same thing that WE are doing, give him a few years before we decide if he should stay.
Kentucky deserved to be in the NCAAT last year.  When you go 12-4 in the SEC, you deserve to make the tourney.  I think that BCG underachieved in the nonconference schedule, but overachieved in the SEC part of the schedule.  I'm interested to see how they will do this year.

Marc Maggard

UK will be fine this year.  THey are young at key spots, so they will be sporadic at times.  But they have talent and will be well coached and superbly conditioned.  They'll make the tourney and should win a few games in it IMO.

mm

newera

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 21, 2008, 09:42:57 am
Kentucky deserved to be in the NCAAT last year.  When you go 12-4 in the SEC, you deserve to make the tourney.  I think that BCG underachieved in the nonconference schedule, but overachieved in the SEC part of the schedule.  I'm interested to see how they will do this year.

I'm sorry but i don't think that a team with less than nineteen wins should be in the dance, especially with how down the SEC was last year.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

catfanNar

Quote from: newera on November 21, 2008, 11:46:26 am
I'm sorry but i don't think that a team with less than nineteen wins should be in the dance, especially with how down the SEC was last year.
So let's say that your Hogs were 12-4 last season in the SEC with only 6 non-conference wins. In your mind they wouldn't deserve a bid?

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Marc Maggard on November 21, 2008, 10:29:17 am
UK will be fine this year.  THey are young at key spots, so they will be sporadic at times.  But they have talent and will be well coached and superbly conditioned.  They'll make the tourney and should win a few games in it IMO.

mm
lol. 

Marc Maggard

Laugh all you want.  I'm just telling you the truth. 

I always get a kick out of fans who see a young but talented team lose some games early and then go off the deep end as if the season is going to be horrible.

You may want to go check how the 2005 season started and ended for UNC.

Obviously, UK isn't going to win an championship IMO, but they will be better than most teams and certainly in the top of the SEC.

mm

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Marc Maggard on November 21, 2008, 01:36:28 pm
Laugh all you want.  I'm just telling you the truth. 

I always get a kick out of fans who see a young but talented team lose some games early and then go off the deep end as if the season is going to be horrible.

You may want to go check how the 2005 season started and ended for UNC.

Obviously, UK isn't going to win an championship IMO, but they will be better than most teams and certainly in the top of the SEC.

mm
What I really find amusing is that Kentucky fans have to come over to Hogville to talk basketball. 

Don't forget the other young team in the SEC.  You might want to check Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas.  Yes the Cats are young but it does not seem like they are catching up with anybody.  They are still lagging behind.  Can you keep pace with these teams?

catfanNar

November 21, 2008, 01:53:58 pm #30 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:23:49 pm by catfanNar
Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 21, 2008, 01:34:05 pm
I see you think it is funny too.
I was laughing at you. Your quick, to the point answer you gave sure is a telling one.

The Hogfather

Quote from: catfanNar on November 21, 2008, 01:53:58 pm
I was laughing at you. Your quick, to the point answer your gave sure is a telling one.

BWWWWWAAAA???

catfanNar

November 21, 2008, 01:59:06 pm #32 Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:01:23 pm by catfanNar
The reason we come over here is that it seems to me that all you do is talk about Kentucky when they are doing bad. Why is that? No one on the Kentucky boards, and I mean no one gives a hoot about Arkansas basketball. The only reason they may have is that you have JP, but thats it. Arkansas-Kentucky is not a rivalry up there but it sure is here. Maybe you should win a few more games against us and it may become one. And yes, there are quite a few Hog fans on the UK message boards my friend.

LRCentralTiger

I was laughing at you. Your quick, to the point answer your gave sure is a telling one.
A little sarcasm dude.  Sorry it went by you.  I will slow it down so you can comprehend it next time.

Here is a statement I replied to MM with. 

What I really find amusing is that Kentucky fans have to come over to Hogville to talk basketball. 

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: catfanNar on November 21, 2008, 01:59:06 pm
The reason we come over here is that it seems to me that all you do is talk about Kentucky when they are doing bad. Why is that, no one on the Kentucky boards, and I mean no one gives a hoot about Arkansas basketball. The only reason they may have is that you have JP, but thats it. Arkansas-Kentucky is not a rivalry up there as it is here. Maybe you should win a few more games against us and it may become one. And yes, there are quite a few Hog fans on the UK message boards my friend.
Read your first sentence and explain.  That is a reason to come over here?  Boy things must be bad in horse racing country.

catfanNar

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on November 21, 2008, 02:00:21 pm
A little sarcasm dude.  Sorry it went by you.  I will slow it down so you can comprehend it next time.

Here is a statement I replied to MM with. 

It didn't go by me DUDE, and I don't see why you have to insult me just b/c I don't understand your idiotic post

The Hogfather

Quote from: catfanNar on November 21, 2008, 02:04:35 pm
It didn't go by me DUDE, and I don't see why you have to insult me just b/c I don't understand your idiotic post

Please don't talk about idiotic posts.  Thanks.

catfanNar

Can you not read my screen name? I live around you guys so I have an interest in both teams that is why I am here.

The Hogfather

Quote from: catfanNar on November 21, 2008, 02:06:06 pm
Can you not read my screen name? I live around you guys so I have an interest in both teams that is why I am here.

What does your screen name say?

catfanNar

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 21, 2008, 02:05:39 pm
Please don't talk about idiotic posts.  Thanks.
Man you guys sure like explaining what you are thinking don't ya?

LRCentralTiger

Don't get upset because things pass you by.  You have to just try harder.  Come on now, all this anger is not warranted.  Say your sorry and all will be forgiven and you will feel much better.

The Hogfather

I'm just saying you shouldn't say this:

I was laughing at you. Your quick, to the point answer you gave sure is a telling one.

Followed by this:

Marc Maggard

Sure is nice when posters don't try to turn bball conversation into flames and baits.

I am a fan of college basketball.  I'm a fan of Pel.  I'm a fan of Clarke and Fortson.  I'm a fan of SEC basketball.  I own a UK site that is in the same network as this very site and I scout HS basketball players for a living........ not sure how it's strange to anyone that I would post about hoops here or that another SEC's school would have fans posting on this site.   Oh wait, it's not strange.... it's just an attempt to talk smack.

Personally, I'm well aware that Florida and UT are going to be very good this year.  I think UK is a notch below them based on experience.  Arkansas is a notch below UK based on experience and talent. 

Still, Arkansas is going to be fun to watch.  Rotnei is a baller and will make a lot of people eat their words, which I'll enjoy watching.

mm

The Hogfather

Quote from: Marc Maggard on November 21, 2008, 02:37:55 pm
Sure is nice when posters don't try to turn bball conversation into flames and baits.

I am a fan of college basketball.  I'm a fan of Pel.  I'm a fan of Clarke and Fortson.  I'm a fan of SEC basketball.  I own a UK site that is in the same network as this very site and I scout HS basketball players for a living........ not sure how it's strange to anyone that I would post about hoops here or that another SEC's school would have fans posting on this site.   Oh wait, it's not strange.... it's just an attempt to talk smack.

Personally, I'm well aware that Florida and UT are going to be very good this year.  I think UK is a notch below them based on experience.  Arkansas is a notch below UK based on experience and talent. 

Still, Arkansas is going to be fun to watch.  Rotnei is a baller and will make a lot of people eat their words, which I'll enjoy watching.

mm

I heard Randolph Morris, Ramel Bradley, and Joe Crawford aren't playing for Kentucky this year.  Still think they're going to go to the NCAA Tournament?

I'll hang up and listen....

Marc Maggard

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 21, 2008, 03:37:56 pm
I heard Randolph Morris, Ramel Bradley, and Joe Crawford aren't playing for Kentucky this year.  Still think they're going to go to the NCAA Tournament?

I think I'll just not respond to baiting posts.... but yeah, I'm pretty sure they make the tourny.... this is a good UK team.  Just young.

And, btw, Morris played for the Knicks last year and UK made the tourny.
mm

catfanNar

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 21, 2008, 03:37:56 pm

Since you want to stir us up, when was the last time you guys beat UK in basketball? Hmmmmmmmm.........2001  maybe?

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: catfanNar on November 22, 2008, 12:30:10 pm
Since you want to stir us up, when was the last time you guys beat UK in basketball? Hmmmmmmmm.........2001  maybe?

we will win this year...

How insecure of a Kentucky fan do you have to be to come to a Hog site and defend your 0-2 team?

40MINSOFHELL