Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is how stupid the BCS is

Started by mizzouman, November 18, 2008, 10:06:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

drivetimeporks

..and get rid of BS  rules like the special ones for ND to get into the bcs not that theyll ever compete for a slot, but still , make it level for every team

SRFL

November 18, 2008, 10:25:07 pm #51 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:37:22 am by SardisHog

Factor this.  FSU gets lucky and beats UF.  Bama goes into the SECCG unbeaten and loses to UF.  1 loss Bama is now out of the running due to such a late loss.

TT beats OU, Baylor and Mizzou.  In the NC.  Texas jumps OU, Bama and UF in the BCS rankings.

TT vs. UT BCSCG.

How is that for BS?

Greyhands

Quote from: broken legs on November 18, 2008, 10:32:15 am
This is how stupid this thread is

mizzouman thinks missouri has a shot of winning the big12 championship game
He did say could happen but not probable......

kcabrozaR

Quote from: Greyhands on November 18, 2008, 10:38:35 pm
He did say could happen but not probable......
So could this:
Florida State beats Florida, Florida beats Alabama. Texas and Texas Tech win out.

Texas and Texas Tech NC game.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

Fatmanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2008, 05:30:32 pm
Incorrecto. If OU, Texas or Texas Tech advances to the Big 12 Championship and gets beat by Missouri, none of them will be in the NC game. Looks to me like USC would skate in on the misfortune of other teams........a back door placement if you will, by the voters. If Tech beats OU, they are pretty much in. If they lose to OU and then OU wins out beating OSU and winning the Big 12 CG, they will jump Texas by virtue of their strength of schedule the last 3 games and they will be in. But lets say OU beats Tech, but loses to OSU, then Texas goes to Big 12 Championship and even if they lose to Missouri there, OU would still not be in the NCG, nor would Tech, again, the most likely to get in if OU loses anywhere along the way, is friggin USC.   
i agree except where you said if Ou beats TT and Loses to OSU then texas advances, your wrong TT would still go because they only have 1 loss and OU has 2 losses and TT has the tie breaker over Texas so TT would still go to the CFG and probably wins and then who knows
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

Quote from: kcabrozaR on November 18, 2008, 10:51:54 pm
So could this:
Florida State beats Florida, Florida beats Alabama. Texas and Texas Tech win out.

Texas and Texas Tech NC game.
hmmmmm... havent thought of that nice one kcabrozar

I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

HoopS

SRFL, that could happen.  As could an OU/Tex rematch.  In either event, I would hate it. 

Feralhog

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 18, 2008, 10:58:26 am
I've seen a "Top 8" one.
Take the top 8 in the BCS and let them play it out.

That would include the power teams USC, OU, Texas. . . and have the regular season do it's job by sifting out the strong teams in weaker conferences as SOS is factored into the BCS.  Leaving Utah in, as of today they are #7, and Boise St out, they are #9. 

This makes the most sence of the absurdity.
A poll driven playoff will ruin college football.  I'm not going over it again, but if you want to know how, go back a few pages.  This subject was discussed in depth a week or two ago.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Feralhog

Quote from: RivercrestHog on November 18, 2008, 11:00:08 am
Exactly. That's why they need to take the top 8 or however many BCS teams and put them in a playoff regardless of conference.

What's the point of having conferences then?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Feralhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2008, 12:35:29 pm
Get rid of the conf title games, make the playoffs the top 8 BCS teams.  Of course, that would mena 5 or 6 of the teams in the playoffs would come from the SEC and Big 12 every year, which means no one would ever go for this.

And teams like Arkansas would've had their seasons be over before the end of September.  Good Idea

Feralhog

November 19, 2008, 07:57:54 am #60 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:59:37 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Oklahawg on November 18, 2008, 01:17:39 pm
There are foundational issues to work through. Things like how to address non-D1 games on the schedule...conferences without a championship game...how many in-conference games on a team's schedule.

Suggestion: use the existing "conference championship" weekend to get started, widening the field to 16 teams at host sites, or almost neutral sites. That leaves 8 teams after the first weekend in December, about where most proposed championship brackets begin.

Think about the top 16 teams this year:

1   Bama            9   Boise State
16 TCU              8    Penn State

4   Florida          5   Oklahoma
13  Missouri       12  Okie State

3   Texas               6  USC
14  BYU                11 Georgia

2   Texas Tech       7   Utah
15  Michigan State 10  Ohio State

Tweak that to include the ACC and Big East Champs (Cincy and UNC, based only on BCS rankings and the need for simplicity). Drop Michigan State and Missouri as their conferences are already represented by two teams.

So...

1   Bama            9   Boise State
16 TCU              8    Penn State

4   Florida          5   Oklahoma
13  Okie State   12   Cincinnati

3   Texas               6  USC
14  BYU                11 Georgia

2   Texas Tech       7   Utah
15  North Carolina 10  Ohio State

I flip-flopped Okie State and Cincy since you wouldn't want a first-round match-up of teams from the same conference. However, OU played Cincy earlier in the year. If you wish to avoid that type of thing in round one more tweaking is needed.

If you want a formula, one from each current BCS conference (6), the top independent with 10+ wins (ND, Navy, etc.), 1-3 non-BCS teams with 10+ wins, at-large teams fill out the rest with no limit on conference affiliations. If you don't have an independent with 10+ wins, none go and an extra at-large goes. The 10-win requirement seems reasonable for mid-majors.

First round games (round of 16) is the first weekend in December. Second round games are in a BCS bowl. Add two bowls to the BCS mix to get the final four games. Return to a site for the final game.

I may not have read your post right but if I am, your suggesting to play the BCS bowls before Jan 1st.  Good luck with that

Feralhog

Quote from: kcabrozaR on November 18, 2008, 02:04:30 pm
I never understood how being a conference champion has anything to do with the NC. If there was a playoff using only the conference champions, it would not necessarily include the best team or teams.

Oh, so let the sports writers and computers decide who the best teams are. How the frik is that earning it on the field?   I thought that's what we were avoiding with a playoff?

Feralhog

Quote from: kcabrozaR on November 18, 2008, 02:27:03 pm
If you don't use the BCS, and assume the season is over now, who are the 8 teams?

For a darn load of teams, the season would have ended before Sept 31

Feralhog

Quote from: rtom on November 18, 2008, 05:24:36 pm
take the champions of each conference (sec,pac10,big10,big12,acc,bigeast,wac, and another one possibly cusa and have those 8 CHAMPIONS be the playoff..you have to be conference champs to get in the playoffs

You don't have enough conferences listed.  Besides, IMO, the WAC doesn't deserve a spot.  I've suggested have the mid majors' conference champs have a playoff between eachother the month of December for 1 BCS spot and have one at large bid.   

That way, you would have 7 of the 8 BCS spots made up with Conference champs.   This is the closest scenario to having the National championship won on the field.

Feralhog

November 19, 2008, 08:19:31 am #64 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:23:43 am by Feralhog
Quote from: wdremington on November 18, 2008, 06:53:06 pm
Chaaaaannggggggge!

(ps - Yes, the BCS is broken.)

Quote from: steefhog on November 18, 2008, 06:56:09 pm
You guys do understand that no one who matters...cares...right?

The guys who run the leagues could not care less about trophies. They care about checks clearing the bank.

The bowl games are sold out. The TV revenues are skyrocketing. Even the hot dog vendors are busy.

'Just' and 'equitable' and 'real champion' are non-issues.

Doesn't that sort of mean there's a lot of fan interest?

You guys wanting to blow off the bowls in favor of a poll driven playoff, do this little excercise.

8 Tteam play off = The moment a team loses it's second game, their season is over.  Now, go look at the records of the major teams in Div. 1, who's seasons would be over after week 2, week 3, week 4. 

16 Team = pretty much the same scenario as 8 team.  Look at the top sixteen teams in the polls right now, how many have 2 losses? So even with a 16 team play off, you would have teams all across america who's season would be over before the end of September.

32 = Some teams with two losses will be screwed here.  There would still be countless teams across america who's season would be over the end of Sept to mid Oct. 

Any scenario where the teams make a playoff because of some kind of ranking , is total crap and would ruin college football.

Hoggish1

Good points.  As I've said before, no team should be allowed to play in the BCS championship game if they can't win their conference.  USC not winning the PAC 10, however high they are ranked, would be ineligible!

The scenario you describe will finally bring the house of cards down should it happen.  But I believethe BCS will escape yet again.

Hoggish1

Quote from: rohnjobus on November 18, 2008, 10:09:47 am
I think if OU/Texas lose to Mizzou in the championship game you will see USC in the title game unless they lose between now and then.  Which will make it crazy as well as they need Oregon State to lose again in order to win the Pac-10!!
Can you say playoff??  Make it happen Obama!!

Exactly the scenario that will bring the house of cards fluttering down even if it is quite unlikely.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jj1121 on November 18, 2008, 10:34:33 am
Oregon State will win the PAC 10 and you can bet that USC would get the nod before them.  If Mizzou beats OU/Tex/TT in the B12 Title game, it will be AL/FL vs. USC.  I would almost bet the house on it.  But I would never bet anything when it comes to the BCS.

Well, the BCS better hope it is kept from making that happen, again!  Fans WILL revolt.

Hoggish1

Quote from: OnYourToes on November 18, 2008, 10:34:56 am
If OU wins the Big 12 they play for the NC, assuming they beat TTech.
With the Big 12 having 3 teams in contention one of them would not even make a BCS game because of the no more then 2 deal.
OU - NC game
Texas - Fiesta
Texas - Cotton

I know the Cotton is NOTa top teir bowl, but with the system that is in place, a team could lose 2 games all year and not get a BCS bid.

Crazy.  We need a playoff desperatly.

Fixed that for you.  The Cotton used to be a top tier bowl but lost that status.  However, it should be brought back to that status when Jerry gets his stadium up and running.

Feralhog

Quote from: 12247 on November 18, 2008, 09:12:19 pm
Usually, 3 things are mentioned when thinking about a real playoff.  We can't let the bowls down, we can't extend the season that long, and we can't take the money from the conferences that a shorter season would cause.  Here is the fix.  Regular season is 10 games with the first 2 being played against whomever you please.  Conference is limited to 8 games and that includes a championship game if you want one.  Then the playoffs start with 16 teams.  All non playoff teams are free to schedule another 2 games against anyone who wishes to play them.  That would allow the also rans to scrounge up a rivalry or 2 maybe next door or maybe across the country and they could keep the revenue up doing that.  The top 15 bowls could sponser the championship.  First week is 8 games all at neutral locations with #1 playing #16 and so on.  Next week its 4 more bowls and the third week its 2 more bowls and the championship could be the fourth week or skip a week if you like.  Anyway after 14 games we could crown a national champion.  The 10 game regular season should start the first Saturday in September and end 11 Saturdays later, giving each team one off week.  Playoffs and rivalry games should start on week 12 and end for all but minor bowls and playoff teams on week 13.  Generally by the first Saturday in December, you would be down to 4 playoff teams and about 16 to 20 minor bowl teams.  With this system, the season ends on time, the money still flows freely, and bowls get even better teams than they get now.  This would keep 6-6  and some 7-5 teams from bowling which is a fair and just idea in my opinion.  This system would be easy to implement, would make most everyone happy except the totally average teams that expect 6-6 to take them bowling, and would make a tub of money.  It is way too sumply to ever work.

You have some decent ideas, but it's really not as complicated as having to completely change the bowl system like this.

It's simple.  Take the 6 Conf Champs, have the mid major conf champs have a playoff for 1 spot, then have 1 at large bid.  The at large could go to the highest ranked team that doesn't make the final spot.

Play the bowls just like we do now with the BCS Bowls made up of the teams described above.  Since the Cotton will probably buy a BCS spot, you would then have 5 BCS Bowls in which you could have the final run for the national championship.

The one BCS bowl that didn't have a game on or near Jan 1, hosts the final four game the week after the BCS bowls.  Then I would have stadiums across america bid on the championship game.

The season is extended by just a week for 4 teams and since the final four game tix can be divided among 4 schools, you should have no problem with ticket sales.

You extend the season by just 2 weeks for only 2 teams.  The final game will be played well before the new semester begins.  The only thing I don't like about the above scenario is having one non conf. champ team get in the BCS bowl, but it's a close of a scenario I can come up with where you keep a very popular bowl system in tact and have the championship be decided on the field. The fan interest is the highest it's ever been in College Football. It's not perfect, but you risk ruining the game if the change is too radical.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 18, 2008, 11:11:14 am
There will be no meltdown this year.  The winner of the SECCG will definitely be in the NC game and the winner of the Big 12 CG will be in the championship game assuming the team is from the Big 12 South.  If Mizzou wins the Big 12 (they won't) then USC will get the spot.  I think this year the BCS has lucked out.

How does that work? If USC getsthe spot not having won their conference then the BCS will CRAP out.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HoopS on November 18, 2008, 11:41:28 am
Not likely, but certainly a possibility. 

Another scenario I have laid out there that could happen, and would tick people off.

Lets just say that Florida loses to FSU (or if you would like, Bama loses to Auburn).  In either event, the one who lost, let's say Florida, then turns around and beats Bama.  Now neither Bama nor Florida will be considered for the title.

In the Big 12, lets say OU beats Tech and jumps Texas in the BCS standings.  Then, as mizzouman said, loses to Missouri. 

The end result....

Texas vs USC

A rematch of a couple years ago.   Also a matchup of a conference runner-up vs a team that didn't even play in its own conference championship game.

Not really a highly likely scenario, but not impossible at all.

Whoa.  I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than see that scenario!

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2008, 12:19:43 pm
Where i disagree with Obama is when he talked about shortening the regular season.

I would require all BCS teams to have a conference championship. (or do away with them)

There would be 6 bowls represented: Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, New Dallas Stadium, and an extra bowl.

The first 4 rounds would be played rotated between the 6. the 4 not in the first round would be the 2nd round sites. Then the championship would be at one of the 6. This would keep all 4 BCS bowls, generating more revenue, and making a fair playoff system between 8 teams.

The first round would be played in mid December.
The second round would be played at New Years.
The Championship game would stay where it is.

Thats my plan. If it isnt in place by the time i am in office in 2032, i will make it happen guys! ;)

You've got my vote, but McCain will have finally beat someone (you) in that election to become the first 96 year old president.   ;D

Hoggish1

Quote from: rtom on November 18, 2008, 05:24:36 pm
take the champions of each conference (sec,pac10,big10,big12,acc,bigeast,wac, and another one possibly cusa and have those 8 CHAMPIONS be the playoff..you have to be conference champs to get in the playoffs

That might work and could work if each of those conferences had a true champion, by that I mean where every team played every other team.  Big 11 is the sticking point.  If there are going to be 12 regular season games (probably need to shorted that to 11), then there will only be, in some cases, only one OOCG.

hoosier

Another thing that is hampering the big bowls from agreeing to a playoff is the parades. I would almost guarantee that to the people in charge of the rose bowl, the parade is just as important, if not more so, than the football game. There is definately more time, effort and preperation put into the parades than the games. Unless you can guarantee that the rose bowl parade will be on new years day before the game every year they'll never go for it.

31to6

Quote from: Feralhog on November 19, 2008, 08:19:31 am
Doesn't that sort of mean there's a lot of fan interest?

You guys wanting to blow off the bowls in favor of a poll driven playoff, do this little excercise.
I see your point but there is one flaw in your reasoning: under a playoff + bowl system (8 or 10 team playoff plus all the current minor bowls) going to a bowl has exactly the same relevance as it does today: none.

Most people are not wanting to replace the entire bowl system with playoffs. But rather use a single-elimination tournament to select the national champion from among the top 8 or 10 teams. I can only see upside (more teams stay in the NC hunt == more enthusiasm == more football on tv == more money == more gooder :) ).

kcabrozaR

Quote from: Feralhog on November 19, 2008, 08:01:17 am
Oh, so let the sports writers and computers decide who the best teams are. How the frik is that earning it on the field?   I thought that's what we were avoiding with a playoff?

I really don't care if there is ever a playoff. The BCS at least consolidates the best teams according to performance into one group. If there happens to be more than one team from a conference in the top 1 2 3 spots, so be it.

OnYourToes

Quote from: hoosier on November 19, 2008, 09:31:22 am
Another thing that is hampering the big bowls from agreeing to a playoff is the parades. I would almost guarantee that to the people in charge of the rose bowl, the parade is just as important, if not more so, than the football game. There is definately more time, effort and preperation put into the parades than the games. Unless you can guarantee that the rose bowl parade will be on new years day before the game every year they'll never go for it.

The Rose Bowl has tradition on the line as well, what is it, 109 years of parades?
I think the parade has been around longer then the game.
People don't like to mess with traditions.
I say have the Rose bowl be a showcase game every year.  The semi final game, with the parade, on New Year's day.  It still can be the grand daddy of them all, just not the one that decides the winner.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

HoopS

A full-fledged tournament will never happen. 

Consider this....

What if there were a 16 team tournament.  Let's say we are in it.   We travel to USC to face the Trojans and we win and advance.  The next week we meet Florida in the Cap One Bowl and win.  Now we're in the final 4.  We go to the Fiesta Bowl and beat Oklahoma.   To the Championship - The Rose Bowl.  We then beat Ohio State for all the marbles. 
Sounds great right?

Now, how many of you reading this can say you've have the money to travel, in consecutive weeks, to LA, Orlando, Tempe and back to LA?   Then consider ticket prices, hotels, rent-a-cars. 
I couldn't do it, but if I did, it would be by myself and not with my wife and kids - unless I had just won a lottery. 

The only way I can fathom a playoffs, beyond 4 teams-possibly 8, is for the NCAA and a few airlines, hotels and car rental companies to work out deals to make the travel and lodging more reasonable.

I'm a major proponent for a playoffs, but I can't see the logistics working out easily.  A 4 team, plus 1 format, would be doable.

MuskogeeHogFan

November 19, 2008, 11:37:14 am #79 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:38:57 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: fatmanhog on November 18, 2008, 10:53:19 pm
i agree except where you said if Ou beats TT and Loses to OSU then texas advances, your wrong TT would still go because they only have 1 loss and OU has 2 losses and TT has the tie breaker over Texas so TT would still go to the CFG and probably wins and then who knows

I don't think so. TT beat Texas, Texas beat OU, if OU beats TT and then OSU and then loses to Missouri in the Big 12 CG, Texas would have the tie breaker because OU beat Tech and Tech losing this late in the season, would drop below Texas after OU beat them. Texas being the highest ranked team in the Big 12 in the BCS, would go to the NCG provided the media didn't vote USC into that game, which is what would most likely happen anyway. The worst thing that could happen right now to the Big 12 would be to not have the winner of the game Saturday night, win out completely. Otherwise, the Big 12's hopes of having a team in the NCG will probably be eliminated.
Go Hogs Go!

Oklahawg

Feral, I may not be posting clearly. Round one would be when the current conference championship games are played. Everything else begins Jan 1.

HoopS, you make outstanding points. Compare to NCAA hoops tourney -- the big schools travel, what?, 5K to the Sweet 16, where they are split 4 ways between 4 teams? Football would require home games in the round of 16 to insure that tickets are sold. That is a necessary revenue stream. Maybe I'm not able to see out of the box on this one, but I think you do your first round at home.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HatfieldHog

Quote from: hogfanforever on November 18, 2008, 11:57:31 am
I thought during the halftime interview he said that (there should be a playoff in college fb) just to "play to the audience". But I caught some of the 60 minutes interview and he repeated it...emphatically... to the point of saying he might "throw (my) weight around"... Now I'm not so sure he was just playing to the tv crowd. He may actually be sincere.

The M.O. in a lot of things is that the President has an aide or a staffer work out the details, and he 1) shows initial personal interest and 2) puts his head in the door when the meeting is stalled...I think there just might be something to his intent.

Now...what weight the president actually has with the NCAA is beyond me. He wouldn't mess with taxes going to schools...so what could he hold over the NCAA's head to force them to go this way? Any thoughts?

Obama is going to be too busy making "Gay pride week" a national holiday to worry with the BCS!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HoopS

Okla, I agree about the first round.   That's actually what I meant with the USC game.   But no doubt, the first round would need to be at a home venue - pretty much a guaranteed sellout. 

31to6

Quote from: HoopS on November 19, 2008, 11:19:19 am
I'm a major proponent for a playoffs, but I can't see the logistics working out easily.  A 4 team, plus 1 format, would be doable.

8-team format would only be more expensive for 4 teams and the revenue from a couple additional televised games would MORE than compensate.

10 team format would only be more expensive for 6 teams.

Agreed on trying to do a full playoff for like 32 teams or something. Because if you increase the field to 32 you will have some pretty ho-hum games in round 1. (11-1 team vs 8-4 team? yawn)

How many tickets does each team get to sell to their fans for a major bowl game?  I think from 5 to 20 thousand.  If Arkansas happened to be in a 16 team playoff and win out, that would be 4 games.  4 major bowl games in one year is a bit too much if you plan to go to every one, but remember, you have cut your regular season by 2 games, but added 4 playoff games.  Likely you could go to two of the games and not increase your costs over what you now pay to attend 12 regular season games and a bowl.  If in a NC playoff, it is highly likely Arkansas could sell their allotment of tickets to every game.  True, many individuals couldn't afford 4 games, but you could do what you could do and see the remainder on TV.  At least you would know if you won the damn thing, you really had something to put in your trophy shelf.  Alabama still thinks they won the 64/65 NC even though we still claim we did.  Concerning BCS conferences, I hate that thought process.  A national championship should reward the best team, period.  I could care less if the top 10 was made up of the PAC 10 if in fact the best 10 football teams happen to all be in the PAC 10 in a given year.  Conference membership should not enhance nor derail your chances of playing in the big game, only your ability to play should determine that.

HoopS

I still see an oppurtunity for airlines, hotels, car rentals and the bowls to form a relationship and offer all inclusive packages. 

I started working on this stuff probably 7 or 8 years ago.  It was easy to lay out a format of bowls and a lot them into a playoff tree, but I always got back to the amount of $ it would cost for common fans to follow a team that many weeks in a row.  And, add to my post earlier a trip to Atlanta for the SECCG. 

I always thought 8 team would work and be enough to ensure that the regular season games would still remain interesting late.  A 2 loss team could still eek in.  Cotton, Cap 1, Rose and Outback for the first round.  Orange and Sugar for round 2.  Fiesta the championship.  Rotate forward each year.  Week 1 - the second week in Dec.  Eliminate 1 bye for all teams, conf championships move up 1 week.  Week off between conf champ games and first round.  2 weeks later, round 2.  2 weeks later, championship.  The remaining bowls scattered on week days throughout - championship series games on Saturdays only.  Perhaps the championship game on a Monday. 

While I'm at it, if I were in charge, I would have the 6 BCS conferences have a challenge week early in the season.  Week 2 would be PAC 10/Big 12.  Week 3 would be S.E.C/Big 10.  Week 4 would be Big East/ACC. 

What I would REALLY like to do is do the same thing as mentioned above, but have each conference split into divisions.   The pit say the Big 12 North/PAC 10 South and the Big 12 South vs S.E.C East.  Our West vs Big 10 North or West or whatever. 

Why?  So the computers data would be more valid.  If computers are going to help determine who plays in the championship series, they need enough head to head info to actually determined more accurately the SOS of each conference.   If we had more games against one another, the computer rankings would be more dependable.   Plus the games would be off the hook.  And the strong would survive.  But you wouldn't get to the top 8 by ducking competition and then playing in a sub-par conference *coughbigeastcough*.

And I even took it a step further before.  But most of you aren't interested I'm sure. 

Anyway.

It ain't happening anytime soon.

kcabrozaR

Fatmanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 19, 2008, 11:37:14 am
I don't think so. TT beat Texas, Texas beat OU, if OU beats TT and then OSU and then loses to Missouri in the Big 12 CG, Texas would have the tie breaker because OU beat Tech and Tech losing this late in the season, would drop below Texas after OU beat them. Texas being the highest ranked team in the Big 12 in the BCS, would go to the NCG provided the media didn't vote USC into that game, which is what would most likely happen anyway. The worst thing that could happen right now to the Big 12 would be to not have the winner of the game Saturday night, win out completely. Otherwise, the Big 12's hopes of having a team in the NCG will probably be eliminated.
???? i was refering to where it was said OU would be in the big 12 championship game. they wouldnt unless they beat TT and TT loses again. so OU couldnt go unless TT loses twice. is that more clear? i was just refering to the conference champ. game not NCG.maybe im more wrong than i thought.

The Hermaphronutt

HoopS

November 20, 2008, 05:00:58 am #88 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:16:54 am by HoopS

If OU wins, and they all 3 end up tied, it comes down to who is ranked the highest.   Actually, the BCS ranking is either the third or fourth tie-breaker but they are tied on the first few.   Division record is one in which they all would be 4-1 within their division.   Then record vs the other division and they would all be 3-0.  Overall records would be the same.   
Tech has to win to get in, IMO. 

This will get interesting. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 20, 2008, 05:00:58 am
If OU wins, and they all 3 end up tied, it comes down to who is ranked the highest.   Actually, the BCS ranking is either the third or fourth tie-breaker but they are tied on the first few.   Division record is one in which they all would be 4-1 within their division.   Then record vs the other division and they would all be 3-0.  Overall records would be the same.   
Tech has to win to get in, IMO. 

This will get interesting. 

I agree. This late in the season, Tech would fall below Texas. Then, should OU win out, they'll jump Texas in the BCS just because the end of the Horns schedule is much weaker than that of OU. For Texas to get into the Big 12 CG, I think that OU would have to beat Tech and lose to OSU.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

That wouldn't help.   Then Tech and Tex would be tied and Tech won head-to-head.

Tex hopes lie with a three-way tie and voters.  Or Tech losing to Baylor after losing to OU.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 20, 2008, 09:13:01 am
That wouldn't help.   Then Tech and Tex would be tied and Tech won head-to-head.

Tex hopes lie with a three-way tie and voters.  Or Tech losing to Baylor after losing to OU.

Well yeah it might since the tie breaker is whomever is ranked higher in the BCS. Tech losing this late in the season, as I said, I THINK they would drop below Texas since OU is behind Texas now, which means they would drop below both OU and Texas. If OU then loses to OSU, Texas would remain ahead of OU and have the tie breaker by virtue of BCS rankings. But that is all speculation and just my opinion. Who knows what the voters(2/3 of the vote) will do.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

In a two-way tie, the tie breaker is head to head.   If OU beats Tech and loses to OSU, they would have 2 loses - Tech and Tex would have 1.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 20, 2008, 09:53:45 am
In a two-way tie, the tie breaker is head to head.   If OU beats Tech and loses to OSU, they would have 2 loses - Tech and Tex would have 1.   

That's correct and as far as the Big 12 CG goes, according to #5 in the tiebreaker according to the Big 12, the nod would go to the team that is ranked highest in the first BCS poll that comes out after the completion of the regular season. If Tech lost to OU, they would fall behind both Texas and OU and then given the scenario that OU loses to OSU, Texas would be the Big 12 South representative. The fact that Texas lost to Tech, OU beat Tech and Texas beat OU would then send it to BCS rankings and Texas is in perfect position, with a weak end of season schedule, to take advantage of that. But if this scenario occured, one would probably find Texas and Tech ahead of OU in the polls if OU lost to OSU.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2008, 10:08:23 am
That's correct and as far as the Big 12 CG goes, according to #5 in the tiebreaker according to the Big 12, the nod would go to the team that is ranked highest in the first BCS poll that comes out after the completion of the regular season. If Tech lost to OU, they would fall behind both Texas and OU and then given the scenario that OU loses to OSU, Texas would be the Big 12 South representative. The fact that Texas lost to Tech, OU beat Tech and Texas beat OU would then send it to BCS rankings and Texas is in perfect position, with a weak end of season schedule, to take advantage of that. But if this scenario occured, one would probably find Texas and Tech ahead of OU in the polls if OU lost to OSU.

I am not following at all.   

Here is what we have. 
If Tex wins out, they are 7-1 and lost to Tech but beat OU.
If Tech loses to OU, they are 7-1 and lost to OU but beat UT.
That would make OU 6-1, with a win over Tech and lose to UT.
If they then lose to OSU, they are 6-2 and out of the picture.
It then goes to a 2 team tie.  The first tie breaker in that scenario is head to head, Tech won, end of story.

I'm not sure if I am continually misreading your post or what.

HoopS

According to Big 12 rules, if two teams within a division are tied for first place at the end of the regular season, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall determine who wins the division and plays in the Big 12 title game. If three or more teams are tied, there are seven steps to be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the final deciding factor.

1. The records of the three teams against each other will be compared.

2. The records of the three teams within their division will be compared.

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6).

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

5. The highest-ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular-season conference play shall be the representative.

6. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) shall be the representative.

7. The representative will be chosen by draw.

Quote from: HoopS on November 20, 2008, 11:19:34 am
According to Big 12 rules, if two teams within a division are tied for first place at the end of the regular season, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall determine who wins the division and plays in the Big 12 title game. If three or more teams are tied, there are seven steps to be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the final deciding factor.

1. The records of the three teams against each other will be compared.

2. The records of the three teams within their division will be compared.

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6).

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

5. The highest-ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular-season conference play shall be the representative.

6. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) shall be the representative.

7. The representative will be chosen by draw.

7b.  If Texas is one of the teams, it will have 5 extra paper slips with it's name on it in the hat.
Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

Ex-Trumpet

So, if OU beats TT, there could be (3) 1-loss teams in the Big 12.  One will not go to a BCS game at all.

Yet there will be a Big East AND an ACC team in the BCS.  This is just more of the same-ole-crap from the BCS; usually it's just the SEC getting throttled:  Alabama, Florida, LSU, & Georgia are all better than most BCS teams...). 

BCS is ghey.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Slow Moses

Has anyone considered that Florida will beat Alabama?  I think the gators will beat the tide by at least 10 points.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Slow Moses on November 21, 2008, 04:42:51 pm
Has anyone considered that Florida will beat Alabama?  I think the gators will beat the tide by at least 10 points.

Most people believe the Gators will beat Bama.  I however, am not so convinced. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb