Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is how stupid the BCS is

Started by mizzouman, November 18, 2008, 10:06:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 20, 2008, 11:19:34 am
According to Big 12 rules, if two teams within a division are tied for first place at the end of the regular season, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall determine who wins the division and plays in the Big 12 title game. If three or more teams are tied, there are seven steps to be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the final deciding factor.

1. The records of the three teams against each other will be compared.

2. The records of the three teams within their division will be compared.

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6).

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.

5. The highest-ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular-season conference play shall be the representative.

6. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) shall be the representative.

7. The representative will be chosen by draw.

All true, but if OU wins out, they will more than likely be the highest ranked BCS team, jumping Texas. OU has two highly ranked teams left to play, Texas only has Kansas this weekend and then Texas A&M. Tech only has Baylor remaining. OU will gain more points by winning out over Tech and OSU than the other two would, so rule #5 would put them into the Big 12 Championship and if they win that, they would certainly again be the highest ranked Big 12 team in the BCS. So it all works out. Now if they win tomorrow and lose the following weekend, then Tech automatically goes to the Big 12 Championship because they beat Texas earlier. The only way Texas gets in is if OU loses one of the next two and Tech gets beat by OU and Baylor.
Go Hogs Go!

dr_arkansawyer

Lots of speculation out there... I think there are only four options, realistically:
1.  Florida v. TexasT
2.  Florida v. OU
3.  Bama v. TexasT
4.  Bama v. OU

It is that simple.  Of course, Ball State could... no, no they couldn't.
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

hawgsav1

I think both TTech and OU control their own destinies.  The winner of that game (assuming they take out Mizzou) will be in the NC game.  Also, both Bama and Florida control their own destinies.  Whichever two teams win out will be in the NC game.  If I had to guess, I would say OU and Bama. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on November 21, 2008, 06:13:40 pm
Lots of speculation out there... I think there are only four options, realistically:
1.  Florida v. TexasT
2.  Florida v. OU
3.  Bama v. TexasT
4.  Bama v. OU

It is that simple.  Of course, Ball State could... no, no they couldn't.

No, there is one other option and we won't know until after tomorrow. Should Kansas upset Texas, Tech gets beat by OU and OU loses to OSU next weekend, guess who slips into the NCG? That's right, back-dooring it all the way.........Pete Carroll and USC.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

Muskogee, I've been saying what you just said all along. 

You kept bringing up OU losing to OSU and then stating......

Nevermind. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 21, 2008, 07:25:23 pm
Muskogee, I've been saying what you just said all along. 

You kept bringing up OU losing to OSU and then stating......

Nevermind. 

Then we are in agreement. :)
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

kcabrozaR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 21, 2008, 07:04:48 pm
No, there is one other option and we won't know until after tomorrow. Should Kansas upset Texas, Tech gets beat by OU and OU loses to OSU next weekend, guess who slips into the NCG? That's right, back-dooring it all the way.........Pete Carroll and USC.
That would be one heck of a parlay.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

HoopS

Texas beat Kansas last week.   They're off this week before facing A&M.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 21, 2008, 07:33:16 pm
Texas beat Kansas last week.   They're off this week before facing A&M.

Doggone it, you are right. I can't believe I missed that......I hope like heck that A&M pulls an upset. That being said, I'm not holding my breath. Since Texas has already smacked Kansas down, and with A&M being such a lowly opponent in terms of strength of schedule......I'd say that puts them even more behind the 8-ball and their outcome in terms of the BCS, is not up to them(well, except for beating A&M). They need Tech and OU to lose in the next two weeks. If they don't, someone will be moving ahead of Texas in the BCS.
Go Hogs Go!