Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Tech at OU - Who ya got and why?

Started by Hogtropolis™, November 17, 2008, 06:48:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

... meaning 'don't know and don't care' who wins, but it should be a tremendous game to watch!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Kenny Dowell Loggains

OU... it's a tough choice, but this is the biggest game this year in Norman.  Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium is probably the hardest place to win in... right behind LSU, Florida, USC and Ohio State (probably within the last 5 years).  The sell-out crowd, along with ESPN gameday crew, and it being a night game will make it even tougher!  I love Tech's offense, but OU will be too much at home.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Ar_Hog on November 18, 2008, 06:34:58 pm
OU at home. Norman is a toughplace to play, fans are nutz there!
I think the noise and OU's defense will bother TTech's offense.

OU by 10

I agree.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Okie Hog on November 18, 2008, 10:54:20 am
OU defends Owen Field very well.  I predict a Sooner win.  I'm also lucky enough to be going to this game.

Nice. I see tickets to this game are going for a pretty penny ($250 each for seats sponsored by NASA).  Should be a great game!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

NWASooner

The losing team might score 50 points.

Keep in mind that OU's season low point total was 35 points against both TCU and Texas, both of which have very soild defenses.  Other than that, most of OU's point totals have occured in 3 quarters.  We've sat the starters most of the 4th.  So, my guess is OU isn't going to be held under 40.

That being said, OU's defense has more leaks than the McCain campaign.  Kansas State is a gaggle of spares and they threw for 475 yards on us. 

I still go with OU because we're tough in Norman.  It's not a very loud of rowdy place to play like LSU so it's not THAT intimidating but OU simply just plays better there under Stoops.

MuskogeeHogFan

Texas Tech has the better pass offense(if that is possible) and OU has the better run offense along with a pretty darned good passing offense of their own. Neither defense is very impressive. OU's special team shave bit them in the butt repeatedly all year, so I expect Tech to have worked hard on that aspect these two weeks to take advantage of an OU weakness. Giving Tech a shorter field could be a death knell for OU.

OU has a great O-Line and so does Tech, but Tech takes big splits between the Center and Guards and even bigger splits between the Guards and the Tackles. OU DE's or anyone including CB's are not going to get Harrell in time from the outside on stunts. Look for OU to be running inside stunt games and schemes hiding their intent to put 4-5 coming right down Tech's main street trying to get 4 or 5 on 3(G,C,G) to put pressure on Harrell. If that happens, look for more inside slants and quick dump offs by Tech.

Tech would have to dominate OU's O-Line to get to Bradford and I don't think that is going to happen very often. But that being said, it has before and it can be done again.....see last year when it was Tech that knocked Bradford out of the game early on.

If neither team gets pressure on each others QB, this will be two superior offenses shooting it out against two average defenses. Track meet. The team with fewest mistakes and fewest turnovers that has the ball last and scores last, may be the one who wins the game. Tech is like 2-3 since 2000 after open dates when playing away from home. OU is like 7 or 8-1 and are 53-2 at home under Stoops.

I've got OU as a 1 point favorite. Who wins? Who knows? But it ought to be very entertaining.
Go Hogs Go!

CORZRBACKFAN

Tech's offense is too overpowering for ou, and I absolutely hate ou. Guns up, Red Raiders-make me proud!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

The Visor

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on November 18, 2008, 09:02:59 pm
Tech's offense is too overpowering for ou, and I absolutely hate ou. Guns up, Red Raiders-make me proud!

Maybe, maybe not. There are a lot of reasons to think that OU might pull this one out, even as dynamic as TT's offense may be. There are lot so stats floating around on this site to give you reason to perhaps have pause about your previous statement.
Go Hogs Go!

lovethosehogs

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 17, 2008, 07:34:48 pm
OU, because I want TT to win and OU exists to be a thorn in my side and a pain in my backside.

that is great. i want tech to win also, yet have a bad feelling okie will win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lovethosehogs on November 19, 2008, 05:50:17 pm
that is great. i want tech to win also, yet have a bad feelling okie will win.

OU is like 53-2 at home in Norman since Stoops showed up. Hard to overcome.
Go Hogs Go!

hog37

OU's defense is not what it has been, combined with it's unlikely AA defensive end plays this week, equals Tech win.  If, and this is a big if, OU can get 4-6 stops on defense they have a chance.  If not Tech rolls!

PorkSoda

TT wins because the score the last TD. 

Plus I want to see TT and Bama in the NC Game.  For once it would be cool to see 2 teams play that weren't even in the picture at the beginning of the year.

Seriously, when was the last NC game that didn't have one of the below teams

USC
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 19, 2008, 06:51:47 pm
TT wins because the score the last TD. 

Plus I want to see TT and Bama in the NC Game.  For once it would be cool to see 2 teams play that weren't even in the picture at the beginning of the year.

Seriously, when was the last NC game that didn't have one of the below teams

USC
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida

TT will clean Alabam's clock.
Go Hogs Go!

Beaverfever

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 19, 2008, 07:00:44 pm
TT will clean Alabam's clock.
Don't get ahead of yourself bro.  Alabama's D makes any D TT's faced look like a joke.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 20, 2008, 09:50:29 am
Don't get ahead of yourself bro.  Alabama's D makes any D TT's faced look like a joke.

Just responding to Pork Soda's post where he projected Bama and TT in a NCG. I stand by what I said. Should they both get there, I do believe TT will clean Bama's clock for them.
Go Hogs Go!

HoggieStyle

Tech. Because I've hated OU for 30 years.

Okie Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2008, 08:58:40 pm
Texas Tech has the better pass offense(if that is possible) and OU has the better run offense along with a pretty darned good passing offense of their own. Neither defense is very impressive. OU's special team shave bit them in the butt repeatedly all year, so I expect Tech to have worked hard on that aspect these two weeks to take advantage of an OU weakness. Giving Tech a shorter field could be a death knell for OU.

OU has a great O-Line and so does Tech, but Tech takes big splits between the Center and Guards and even bigger splits between the Guards and the Tackles. OU DE's or anyone including CB's are not going to get Harrell in time from the outside on stunts. Look for OU to be running inside stunt games and schemes hiding their intent to put 4-5 coming right down Tech's main street trying to get 4 or 5 on 3(G,C,G) to put pressure on Harrell. If that happens, look for more inside slants and quick dump offs by Tech.

Tech would have to dominate OU's O-Line to get to Bradford and I don't think that is going to happen very often. But that being said, it has before and it can be done again.....see last year when it was Tech that knocked Bradford out of the game early on.

If neither team gets pressure on each others QB, this will be two superior offenses shooting it out against two average defenses. Track meet. The team with fewest mistakes and fewest turnovers that has the ball last and scores last, may be the one who wins the game. Tech is like 2-3 since 2000 after open dates when playing away from home. OU is like 7 or 8-1 and are 53-2 at home under Stoops.

I've got OU as a 1 point favorite. Who wins? Who knows? But it ought to be very entertaining.

Pretty good breakdown, MHF.  Another point to add, there has been plenty of dissing on OU's defense and how Tech's offense will exploit it.  I tend to agree, but remember, OU's defense is BETTER than Tech's.  I'd say their offenses are pretty much comparable.  So... OU should win this one.  Also, I'd put the home field advatage/road disadvantage at around 10 points for this game.  Tech isn't going to play like they did in Lubbock against Texass, and (I know it's been beat to death) OU doesn't lose at home.

want2be

Quote from: hog37 on November 19, 2008, 06:46:31 pm
OU's defense is not what it has been, combined with it's unlikely AA defensive end plays this week, equals Tech win.  If, and this is a big if, OU can get 4-6 stops on defense they have a chance.  If not Tech rolls!

Didn't the Sooners also lose their best linebacker to injury ?
Both these teams can no doubt put up points, but it could be the team that can SLOW down their opponent may have the edge. At this point it also appears TT has the edge in the trenches.

I have said that Okie should win due to home field advantage and due to TT coming off an extreme high for the past 2 games, but if TT's defense can respond they may take this one.

Most people want to see TT make it to the NC game. If they meet Florida it will be a super matchup.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Okie Hog on November 20, 2008, 10:19:34 am
Pretty good breakdown, MHF.  Another point to add, there has been plenty of dissing on OU's defense and how Tech's offense will exploit it.  I tend to agree, but remember, OU's defense is BETTER than Tech's.  I'd say their offenses are pretty much comparable.  So... OU should win this one.  Also, I'd put the home field advatage/road disadvantage at around 10 points for this game.  Tech isn't going to play like they did in Lubbock against Texass, and (I know it's been beat to death) OU doesn't lose at home.

Actually, their defenses are fairly comparable.

OU's Rush Defense-107.5 per game
OU's Pass Defense-238.1 per game
TT's Rush Defense-107.4 per game
TT's Pass Defense-244.0 per game
OU T/O Margin-1.6 per game
TT"s T/O Margin per game-1.0

The slightest of margins in T/O Margin....everythig is fairly equal except FG pts. per game where TT comes in at 2.1 pts per game to OU's 1.2. Of course there is also Red Zone Offense where OU leads the nation at .950 to Tech at .880. Red Zone Defense: OU at .790 and TT at .790 as well.

Close game. Does it come down to who is most able to close the deal in the red zone or who is able to keep the other out? TT has the edge in FG's, OU in overall scoring.

I suspect that whichever defense shows up, that team will win the game.
Go Hogs Go!

TN HOG

OU will win at home, this will stir up the BCS.

Play like a Champion!

newera

OU wins. My reason: my dad raised me to love the Sooners... I've failed him by making them my second favorite team.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: newera on November 20, 2008, 05:22:07 pm
OU wins. My reason: my dad raised me to love the Sooners... I've failed him by making them my second favorite team.

Nice loyalty, but I have to take exception with your logic. Not that I don't think they can win, they can, but I was hoping for more reasoning than, "that was how I was raised". :)
Go Hogs Go!

T2 RZB

I believe OU wins. It would be hard for any team to duplicate the effort of TT over the last two huge games with TX and OSU for a third consecutive game...plus the Sooners will be at home.  However, if TT wins they make a strong case that they are number 1.

Hogpuddin

I am not sure who will win, but I am with the many of you that say it will be a high-scoring shootout..errrrrr, I mean rivalry.

want2be

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2008, 04:31:31 pm

The slightest of margins in T/O Margin....everythig is fairly equal except FG pts. per game where TT comes in at 2.1 pts per game to OU's 1.2. Of course there is also Red Zone Offense where OU leads the nation at .950 to Tech at .880. Red Zone Defense: OU at .790 and TT at .790 as well.

Close game. Does it come down to who is most able to close the deal in the red zone or who is able to keep the other out? TT has the edge in FG's, OU in overall scoring.

It would be interesting to see how their numbers stack up against to their best common opponent, the Shorthorns ?

In watching the games it appeared McCoy was the biggest difference maker in Texas defeating Oklahoma which suprised me because he is their leading rusher going into that game.

How did TT keep McCoy from being the difference maker in their win against Texas ? Better defense than the Sooners?

TT has a better running game than Texas, which may be another factor in their favor in this matchup.

Torqued pork

I'm pulling for TT but expecting an OU win for no reason other than it's in Norman. Go Raiders Go!!!

scarolinahog

Texas Tech destroys the Sooners. Oklahoma is the Ohio State of the Big 12.
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

thehill1414

These big supposedly offensive games always turn into defensive struggles (arkansas tulsa for example). I think Tech goes in there and beats OU on a last second fg 20-17.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on November 21, 2008, 08:29:21 am

It would be interesting to see how their numbers stack up against to their best common opponent, the Shorthorns ?

In watching the games it appeared McCoy was the biggest difference maker in Texas defeating Oklahoma which suprised me because he is their leading rusher going into that game.

How did TT keep McCoy from being the difference maker in their win against Texas ? Better defense than the Sooners?

TT has a better running game than Texas, which may be another factor in their favor in this matchup.

I'll tell ya, even with the key injuries OU incurred, Texas should not have beaten them and from what I saw, there were two key calls by the Zebras that contributed to their win. 1. Was the big punt return for a TD. There was a clip/block in the back that was not called on that play and though the Sooners didn't cover well, that TD should have been called back. 2. There was an interception by OU in the endzone that was called a non-catch. The kid caught it, had control of it and because the ball popped out when he hit the ground, they said he didn't intercept it. Now how the ground can't cause a fumble for a receiver, but it doesn't work that way for a DB, I'm not sure, but that is a total of 14 points that Texas scored that they shouldn't have.

That would have made the score 35-31 in favor of OU. That being said, the score is what it is and they lost.

OU vs. Texas                         Texas Tech vs. Texas
OU Run Offense-48                  TT Run Off-105
OU Pass Offense-387               TT Pass Off-474
OU Total Offense-435               TT Total Off-579
OU Run Defense-161                 TT Run Def-80
OU Pass Defense-277                TT Pass Defense-294
OU Total Defense-438                TT Total Def-374
OU Offensive T/O's-2 INT's         TT Off T/O's-0 INT's, 1 Fumble
OU Defensive T/O's-0                 TT Def T/O's-1 INT, 1 Fumble
Go Hogs Go!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2008, 04:31:31 pm

Here's a few more for you...

TT Off. 3rd down % --- 57.8
OU Off. 3rd down % --- 46.4

TT Def. 3rd down % --- 33.9
OU Def. 3rd down % --- 30.1

TT Off. 4th down % --- 66.7
OU Off. 4th down % --- 50.0

TT Def. 4th down % --- 47.6
OU Def. 4th down % --- 47.6

I think those numbers favor TT just a little bit.  The more stats I look at the more I realize that these teams seem pretty even and that this should be one heck of a game.

RedSatinHog

Texas showed that OU's defense is suspect.  That is why I believe TTU will win this one by 9 in a shootout.  Their offense spreads their opponents' defenses out way too much, and giving Harrell that kind of field to work with underneath is deadly.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on November 21, 2008, 10:12:11 am
Texas showed that OU's defense is suspect.  That is why I believe TTU will win this one by 9 in a shootout.  Their offense spreads their opponents' defenses out way too much, and giving Harrell that kind of field to work with underneath is deadly.

I'd say they exposed each other since they were within 3 yards of each other in total offense. By the same token, Tech generated 579 yds of total offense and only gave up 374 on defense to Texas and it still took a last second TD to beat Texas even with them having over 200 more yards of offense than Texas. It shouldn't have even been close, but it was. They are a good football team but I think there is a lot of wasted motion in their offense at times. Heck, Texas A&M led them at the half when they played this year. Nebraska outgained them offensively this year in their game and Tech gave up zero turnovers, but it still took Tech overtime to beat Nebraska.

Tech can be beaten.
Go Hogs Go!

want2be

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 21, 2008, 09:10:22 am
I'll tell ya, even with the key injuries OU incurred, Texas should not have beaten them and from what I saw, there were two key calls by the Zebras that contributed to their win. 1. Was the big punt return for a TD. There was a clip/block in the back that was not called on that play and though the Sooners didn't cover well, that TD should have been called back. 2. There was an interception by OU in the endzone that was called a non-catch. The kid caught it, had control of it and because the ball popped out when he hit the ground, they said he didn't intercept it. Now how the ground can't cause a fumble for a receiver, but it doesn't work that way for a DB, I'm not sure, but that is a total of 14 points that Texas scored that they shouldn't have.

That would have made the score 35-31 in favor of OU. That being said, the score is what it is and they lost.

OU vs. Texas                         Texas Tech vs. Texas
OU Run Offense-48                  TT Run Off-105
OU Pass Offense-387               TT Pass Off-474
OU Total Offense-435               TT Total Off-579
OU Run Defense-161                 TT Run Def-80
OU Pass Defense-277                TT Pass Defense-294
OU Total Defense-438                TT Total Def-374
OU Offensive T/O's-2 INT's         TT Off T/O's-0 INT's, 1 Fumble
OU Defensive T/O's-0                 TT Def T/O's-1 INT, 1 Fumble

Let's hope the Zebras are not the difference makers in this game....The have sure screwed up several games this year. There have been way to many calls that have controlled the outcome of a game. This should be another advantage of playing the game in Norman.

Techs stats are slightly better than Okie's in most categories, but I still would take the Sooners with their home field advantage.

Man_O_Pork

I'm pulling for OU, but expect TT to win it.  The real question is, what is the result of an NCAA 09 simulation game?

And I'm only pulling for OU to create BCS turmoil. 

LSPRazorbac

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on November 21, 2008, 11:33:08 am
41-40 Tech

Last team with the ball wins

It could be, but in my mind, I think that the team that gets the unexpected couple of stops and an unexpected turnover(OU leads in this category), may wind up winning this game. OU is tough to beat on Owen Field, 53-2 since Stoops arrived. That may mean something for this game or it may just mean they are due to get beat again at home, but with OU a -7 favorite, I expect it to be closer than that, so my pick would be Tech +7.....though I think OU pulls it out.
Go Hogs Go!

want2be

Oklahoma averages 51.4 points per game and Tech averages 47.9...........Sooners win by 3

alohawg

Game of the week no doubt . Even though Tech upset texass, the whores did have more and better athletes as does OU. I just think midnight is about to strike on the Redraiders here, hope I'm wrong but...
OU  56 
TT  44
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

want2be

Quote from: alohawg on November 21, 2008, 04:32:32 pm
Game of the week no doubt . Even though Tech upset texass, the whores did have more and better athletes as does OU. I just think midnight is about to strike on the Redraiders here, hope I'm wrong but...
OU  56 
TT  44

That would be 100 pt total. I hope you are betting the over.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on November 21, 2008, 06:21:53 pm

Surprisingly, while the "over" seems logical, I wouldn't be surprised to see the "under" rear it's ugly head. Leach won't call off the dogs no matter the score, but if Stoops gets a 14-21 point lead, watch him to be trying to run more and throw little dump offs for short yardage trying to sustain long, time consuming drives in an effort to keep the ball out of TT's hands and reduce the liklihood of turnovers.
Go Hogs Go!

Blue35

OU cannot defense TT. Ventables or whatever his name, the DC at OU, will have a stroke before it is over.

alohawg

Quote from: want2be on November 21, 2008, 06:21:53 pm

Don't bet but I do think it will be a shootout for sure.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Oliver

Once again, just want to remind everybody that no way Tech wins tomorrow.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 21, 2008, 10:50:30 pm

Once again, I just want to remind everybody that I agree. OU wins.

BTW: I have 100 shares of GM stock I am willing to bet on this one. I will accept potatoes or hubcaps as collateral on your part.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 21, 2008, 10:50:30 pm

Unless OU somehow jumps out to a quick 21 point lead and successfully plays "stall ball", I don't see any way that anything is guaranteed.
Go Hogs Go!

blunt_hawg

I've pretty much jumped on the Texas Tech bandwagon.  I'd LOVE to see them in the BCS Championship game and win the whole thing, if for no other reason than to see somebody besides the "traditional powers" win.

But, I'd put my money on Oklahoma today.  Mainly because the game is in Oklahoma.  But also because Stoops has a lot more history in these types of huge games than Leach does and alot more success...

blunt_hawg

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 21, 2008, 11:17:47 pm
Once again, I just want to remind everybody that I agree. OU wins.

BTW: I have 100 shares of GM stock I am willing to bet on this one. I will accept potatoes or hubcaps as collateral on your part.

Hold on to that GM stock.  It's gonna eventually go back up....

wacohogbill

Yeah, hang on to that stock.  It will go up.  But unless there is a big time overhaul of automative leadership, it will go up about as fast as Amalgamated Buggy Whips.  Or United Whalebone Corsets. Inc.