Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can the Hogs beat MSU and surprise LSU and end with two wins?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, November 15, 2008, 11:32:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 16, 2008, 08:52:34 am
Can we? Certainly we could.

With the exception of Alabama and Texas we've entered the fourth quarter of every game this year in a position to win it. We could be 6-4 right now, maybe even 7-3. We could also be 0-10. I don't see the last two games being any different, at the extreme. I believe we'll play our best game of the season against Mississippi State. If we get a win there then we're 5-6 with LSU coming to War Memorial. That has always been a series where strange things happen. Take our shot and see what happens.

Could not have stated it any better.

Beat Mississippi State, and then it's all in our control.

hoghearted

No one gave us a shot to beat LSU last year either. Granted, we lost DMac, Felix, and Hillis, but they've lost several key players too.

Realistically, all the pieces have to fall into place for us to beat them. Limit penalties, no turnovers, good QB/receiver play, etc.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Boarcephus

MSU just looks bad on offense but our defense has had a tendency to make bad offensive teams look pretty good all year long.  If we can score 24+ we should win and I believe that with an off week for BP to put something together we will.

LSU is still a toss up.  They are certainly beatable and if we do win at MSU, we have the motivation to play well.  Let's not discount the fact LSU plays Ole Miss and Nutt's team is physical this year.  LSU could easily be beaten and beat up coming into LR.

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

msudawgs64

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 16, 2008, 09:22:52 am
Croom's boys from MSU are probably going to be a little down and perhaps lacking focus in my opinion. Sitting at 3-7 at this point of the season it matters little to the fate of MSU or Croom whether they win one of the last two or both. But one thing is for certain, they WANT to beat in state rival Ole Miss in Oxford the week after they play us. Now a lot of folks made fun of the "sandwich game" thread I started before the beginning of the season, but at this juncture, it might just apply. Can anyone say that Miss State won't be looking ahead to Ole Miss? If MSU could pick either game to win, would they pick us or Ole Miss? The Ole Miss game is a matter of pride to them. I'm hoping they overlook us.

kinda disagree with you here but only for the fact that they have two games left to try to finish off strong and make Croom's seat a little less uncomfortable.  There is nothing for the guys to play for but pride, sure they want to beat Ole Miss more than Arkansas but there is also that 10 game losing streak that they would like to finally break.   I highly doubt this team is looking ahead to anyone but a chance to be a spoiler, i.e. Arkansas must win this game to get bowl eligible, State ain't going nowhere and probably would just as soon as the Hogs don't either.   Playing the spoiler does get some teams fired up to play, plus it is the last home game for the seniors.  All the intangibles that many discount.  But as bad as our offense has been, our special teams has probably been worse.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

EastTexasHog

All the Hogs need to do is play consistantly and execute for all four quarters

hogpowr

:razorback:

Yes the Hogs can win,........they might not though.  This is a young bunch that tends to get bent over at the worst time. :o    Not that there's a good time to get bent over......

:razorback:
Welcome Coach Bielema!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on November 16, 2008, 11:11:25 am
kinda disagree with you here but only for the fact that they have two games left to try to finish off strong and make Croom's seat a little less uncomfortable.  There is nothing for the guys to play for but pride, sure they want to beat Ole Miss more than Arkansas but there is also that 10 game losing streak that they would like to finally break.   I highly doubt this team is looking ahead to anyone but a chance to be a spoiler, i.e. Arkansas must win this game to get bowl eligible, State ain't going nowhere and probably would just as soon as the Hogs don't either.   Playing the spoiler does get some teams fired up to play, plus it is the last home game for the seniors.  All the intangibles that many discount.  But as bad as our offense has been, our special teams has probably been worse.

Arkansas needs to win both games, MSU & LSU to get bowl eligible, but you might be right about MSU wanting to be a spoiler. Personally I think these kids will be focused on Ole Miss more than the Hogs, and that is understandable.....in-state rivalry and all. As far as the 10 year losing streak goes, it has actually been 9 years as MSU beat the Hogs in 1998 22-21. And, most of these kids cannot even relate to something that has accrued over such a long period of time, so I am not certain how big of a motivational factor that will be to them.
Go Hogs Go!

TrumannRazorback24

Beating MSU is very possible, but a win against LSU is still a longshot.

If we beat MSU atleast then we can go into the Rock with everything on the line and maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance.  A game against LSU where it's do or die will go a long ways towards making Arkansas/LSU a true rivalry, and winning will be great for our team in every single way.

I don't know about you guys, but I miss the thrill of having the Hogs play in a game where everything is on the line.  I miss the feeling you get sitting in the stadium before the game knowing how great it will be to win, and how terrible it will be to lose.  Having something like a bowl to play for in the LSU game is something that I want so bad. 

If we win I'll be stoked, and if we lose, sure I'll be devastated but even having a shot at a bowl this year with the team we have will be something to be excited about.  I think this year will finally be that last year that we talk nonstop about "next year."

Tammany Tom

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 16, 2008, 08:52:34 am
Can we? Certainly we could.

With the exception of Alabama and Texas we've entered the fourth quarter of every game this year in a position to win it. We could be 6-4 right now, maybe even 7-3. We could also be 0-10. I don't see the last two games being any different, at the extreme. I believe we'll play our best game of the season against Mississippi State. If we get a win there then we're 5-6 with LSU coming to War Memorial. That has always been a series where strange things happen. Take our shot and see what happens.

Well said.

I, personally, don't chalk up any game as a win for us this year. Every game is a struggle for us and I certainly expect our last two against Ole Miss and Arkansas to be.

And yes, strange thing do happen in our series with you. Almost all the games have been difficult. This year should be no different.

MuskogeeHogFan

Not to get this stadium debate thing going again, but I doggone sure wish we could go to Starksville, beat MSU and then foce LSU to come to Fayetteville in RRS to play us. Though there are certain advantages in playing at WMS, I can't help but think that having about 28,000 more madly screaming fans at RRS would be an advantage as well.
Go Hogs Go!

Jellohawg

I don't see it happening ... but who knows!  I am pumped up about next year!  The Hogs will be fun to watch! 

kgr

is any body else developing an intense dislike for l s who?
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

dirtypig

I like our chances-- I was watching the Alabama vs. MSU game last night and was hoping that Bama would put a strong drive together late in the game and just wear down, beat up and injure MSU's defense- And they didn't disappoint! I think two or three MSU defenders left the game injured on Bama's last drive. I don't wish injuries on anybody unless we are playing them or about to play them. ;D

Swinehart

I think we can beat MSU then I hope that LSU forgets when the game is suppost to be played! ;)

HogStang

I think we beat MSU by 6.  We will probably drop the LSU game but still score a couple of TDs.

31to6

Both MSU and LSU are vulnerable. Both games will hinge on our d-line as neither QB has performed well under pressure.

I think both games are won by the team that has less than 2 turnovers.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to play 8 quarters of mistake-free ball.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hoghearted on November 16, 2008, 09:32:30 am
No one gave us a shot to beat LSU last year either. Granted, we lost DMac, Felix, and Hillis, but they've lost several key players too.

But then we lost hootie, too....so things have a way of balancing out.   ;)

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

opineonswine

Can?  yes
Will they?  doubtful

Just as likely to lose both in my opinion.  Need more talent.  Next year will be a different story I believe.

want2be

Ms Stated looked good on defense against Bama util they lost any momentum with turnovers and special teams mistakes. Our Oline will have to step up and our QB can not make mistakes.

On offense Dixon, their big back might give us problems and we have a way of making offenses look better than they are,
ie S.Carolina. Ms State did score 24 against LSU.

Muskogee needs to go ahead and start a new thread on stats for this game, but it may be a case of who plays the hardest and wants it the most....We are playing for a bowl chance and State is playing for their coach and to spoil our season.

31to6

MSU's offense is terrible. They just came off a crushing loss. I think the odds are good they mail in the second half if we can jump on them early. If we misfire on offense or give up points on special teams and the game is close at the half their senior day will keep it close. IMO.

El Puerco

Depends on if we continue to play three full hard-nosed quarters of football.