Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adams: Some names to toss around while you're bored (TN job)

Started by fu-man-soo, November 15, 2008, 09:47:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GabeMartini

Without Fat Phil cheating on the recruiting front, Tennessee football has finally come into its own. 3 wins and on their way to nothingness.

songofthesword

if petrino leaves, it's going to be after mallet leaves. he would be the villiage idiot to leave before then for a number of reasons.l

want2be

Quote from: songofthesword on November 15, 2008, 08:19:35 pm
if petrino leaves, it's going to be after mallet leaves. he would be the villiage idiot to leave before then for a number of reasons.l

You must live it that village for even bringing up such nonsense.......Petrino is here to build a program....Without Frank in the way he can do it.

hogninja

Quote from: Hawg2011 on November 15, 2008, 04:57:27 pm
I'd rather have a caged Tusk, then that coon dog leavin piles on the field while those morons sing rocky top for the 20th time.

:spit:

The dog poops, the boar kills.  Keep killers behind bars, or they will kill again. :o :razorback:

The Realist

First of all...
It should be clear the article was satire and none of those are realistic choices for Tennessee. 
And Gabe, if Fulmer was cheating in recruiting, don't you think other people would be the first to turn him in after he ratted on Bama?  That one doesn't exactly add up in any way. 
The Tennessee job is no tougher than any other SEC job.  Anyone in the East has to play Georgia and Florida.  Anyone in the West has to play Bama and LSU and there is always another really good team popping up every year.  Tennessee at least has advantages of Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandy in the East. 
Recruits don't care about any titles past the last 10-15 years.  What they care about is being a nationally prominent program in the media, in the polls, etc.  That prestige comes from a history of winning with every program.  LSU wasn't a media favorite before Saban took over but now they are considered top tier because recruits think of them as a program where they know they can go and win big consistently right now.  TN isn't where LSU is right now, but they are considered more nationally prominent than Arkansas because of the perception, at this point. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

TNhogfan

Quote from: The Realist on November 15, 2008, 06:01:39 pm
Look at their recruiting class this year.  They aren't struggling.  Their recruiting class struggled last year because they lost so many assistant coaches who were the keys to a lot of recruits.
Knoxville has an appeal to college aged kids.  You have places like Tuscaloosa, Oxford and Fayetteville that have a small town feel to them.  Some kids like that setting for college.  Knoxville probably has the biggest metropolitan/big city feel to it of any campus in the SEC with a metro population of nearly 700,000.  Alot of recruits like that too.  Try to look at it from all angles and not just the negative view.  Kids go their for a reason the same way they go anywhere else.  It has it's appeals
Knoxville has a big city feel to it?  Maybe if you are from Bulls Gap  or Clinch Mountain.  All Knoxville is a giant parking lot masquarading as I-40/75.  How many counties are you counting to get 700K?  Not just Knox.  Hilarious that you think it is the biggest city feel in the SEC.  The school with the biggest city feel is the one that is going to whip your little Orange team next Saturday - Vandy.  Nashville is just a tad bigger that K-ville and it is a big city unlike Kingston Pike Town.

GabeMartini

Seeing Vanderbilt beat Tennessee would be quite a sight. A beautiful sight.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Realist on November 15, 2008, 06:45:15 pm
The one problem with most of the things you just listed....Arkansas' biggest accomplishments were almost 40 years ago.  You can see the problem in perception with that.  We still have never won the SEC overall.  I want Arkansas to be listed as an elite program with anyone...but trying to look at objectively I can't say that right now.  I see the potential over the next 3 years to put us back in to a perennial SEC contender but not right now.  We are known for Darren McFadden, running the ball, and Houston Nutt right now. 
Let me put it to you this way.CBP is not going anywhere.PERIOD!

The Realist

November 16, 2008, 04:06:15 pm #58 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:09:03 pm by The Realist
Quote from: TNhogfan on November 15, 2008, 09:06:10 pm
Knoxville has a big city feel to it?  Maybe if you are from Bulls Gap  or Clinch Mountain.  All Knoxville is a giant parking lot masquarading as I-40/75.  How many counties are you counting to get 700K?  Not just Knox.  Hilarious that you think it is the biggest city feel in the SEC.  The school with the biggest city feel is the one that is going to whip your little Orange team next Saturday - Vandy.  Nashville is just a tad bigger that K-ville and it is a big city unlike Kingston Pike Town.
Except Vandy Students stay on their West End campus and rarely see anything else in Nashville.  Vandy is like a town within a city...and they can't recruit the same players as everyone else.  There is a reason I didn't include them in that.  I grew up in Brentwood and Murfreesboro so I am faaaairly sure I know enough about Nashville and Knoxville where I live now.  I said it has a metropolitan feel to it.  I never said it is a huge metropolis.  Some of it is a fake sense of a huge metro area with how busy it seems around campus.  That is what I am talking about. 
And for the record, I hope Vandy does win.  I never said I was rooting for UT in that game. 
And Forrest city Joe, I said Petrino isn't going anywhere, and that none of the coaches on that list will end up at UT. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

The Realist

November 16, 2008, 04:08:20 pm #59 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:32:34 pm by The Realist
Oh and here you go TNHogFan
Knoxville had a total population of 173,890;[2] the July 2007 estimated population was 183,546[6] Knoxville is the principal city of the "Knoxville Metropolitan Statistical Area" with a metro population of 655,400, which is in turn the central component of the "Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette Combined Statistical Area" with 1,029,155 residents.

And for the record, I just had an identical argument with my roommate who tried to say UT is a top 5 job and I said absolutely not.  So there aren't some orange tinted glasses to the argument I am making.  Same goes for every school...it's never as good as their fans want to believe it is and it's never as bad as opposing fans want to make it out to be.
Childs, Gregory.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 15, 2008, 07:49:08 pm
Yeah, I bet recruits are doing backflips to come to Tennessee because of their 1938, 1950, and 1951 national titles (3 of their grand total of 4 that are nationally recognized).

Tennessee is a tough job.

1.  It comes with expectations.  You better win (didn't Fulmer win the SEC East last year?), which isn't easy because....
2.  You have to play against SEC East giants every year, plus Alabama
3.  You have to recruit out of other people's states, since Tennessee doesn't produce a lot of in-state talent (and Ole Miss is considered more of a home to the Memphis recruits).  And Tennessee is second fiddle to its neighboring states with talent...Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi.  Fulmer had success pulling in recruits nationwide....and his success was not because of Tennessee.  It was because he was Phil Fulmer.

What Tennessee does have going for it is a 100,000 person stadium, fan support, and its recent tradition generated by Phil Fulmer.  Sadly, UT just got rid of 33% of its advantages.

You conviently left out the '98 Championship,

hogsndawgs

Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 15, 2008, 09:47:38 am
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/nov/14/adams-some-names-toss-around-while-youre-bored/

"It’s Bobby Petrino, the first-year Arkansas coach who was a first-year Falcons coach last season. Yeah, he moves around a lot. Big deal. But he has decided he prefers the colleges to the pros. And if you’re going to coach college football, where would you rather be: Arkansas or Tennessee?

Petrino has impressed me in more ways than one this season. Most significantly, a not-so-talented Arkansas team has improved greatly as the season has gone along. Also, look what Petrino has done with quarterback Casey Dick. For the last two years, Dick was one of the first players who came to mind when anyone asked: “Who’s the worst quarterback in the SEC?” Now, I would take Dick over half the quarterbacks in the conference."

I think RObert Shields is a better writer than this Adams guy.

hawgleg

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:11:59 am
Here is more like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2EQ1jzYAY&NR=1

Did you see how that lion had three points of pressure on that hog! That was special right there i tell ya!

Spiral_cut

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Hawg2011 on November 16, 2008, 04:50:39 pm
No, he was saying that's the only one they'll actually be remembering of the 4 :D. Silly Vol.

Hey, they aren't the sharpest :)

I am in no way devaluing their recent success....its one of the reasons I think they are crazy for getting rid of Fulmer.   ALLVOL was merely stating their storied history, and I was pointing out that they aren't Notre Dame.  Or even Nebraska for that matter.  They should appreciate what they have.  Their coach won them a national championship 10 years ago, and an SEC East championship last year...and they are holding out for, who, John Gruden?  HA HA HA.

The Realist

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 16, 2008, 06:31:32 pm

I am in no way devaluing their recent success....its one of the reasons I think they are crazy for getting rid of Fulmer.   ALLVOL was merely stating their storied history, and I was pointing out that they aren't Notre Dame.  Or even Nebraska for that matter.  They should appreciate what they have.  Their coach won them a national championship 10 years ago, and an SEC East championship last year...and they are holding out for, who, John Gruden?  HA HA HA.
Fulmer's decisions this year cost him his job mainly.  He let his ego get in the way of other things the powers that be noticed it. 
After he hired Clawson, he pulled a Nutt and said shut up, get in the box and let me coach my team.  His "team" included playing Jonathan Crompton for way too long and going to a backup that Clawson did not want either, as well as playing Arian Foster over clearly more talented players.  Can you name one starting RB in the SEC that has fumbled on the goal line more than 3 times this season?  All UT followers can.  Clawson tried to start BJ Coleman the game after UCLA but Fulmer has refused ever since, even with players coming out and saying they support Coleman over the others.   And by support, I mean even the players realizing and saying that Stephens and Crompton were physically and mentally incapable of doing what they needed to do. 
Basically, Fulmer created a huge clusterf**k because of his ego...and made all the wrong decisions this year.  Their defense is one of the best in the SEC, they returned their whole OL and all WR's and laid an egg this year.  heads had to roll for it in the minds of Vol boosters.
Childs, Gregory.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: The Realist on November 16, 2008, 06:49:44 pm
Fulmer's decisions this year cost him his job mainly.  He let his ego get in the way of other things the powers that be noticed it. 
After he hired Clawson, he pulled a Nutt and said shut up, get in the box and let me coach my team.  His "team" included playing Jonathan Crompton for way too long and going to a backup that Clawson did not want either, as well as playing Arian Foster over clearly more talented players.  Clawson tried to start BJ Coleman the game after UCLA but Fulmer has refused ever since, even with players coming out and saying they support Coleman over the others.   And by support, I mean even the players realizing and saying that Stephens and Crompton were physically and mentally incapable of doing what they needed to do. 
Basically, Fulmer created a huge clusterf**k because of his ego...and made all the wrong decisions this year.  Their defense is one of the best in the SEC, they returned their whole OL and all WR's and laid an egg this year.  heads had to roll for it in the minds of Vol boosters.

Don't disagree with anything you said.  Didn't disagree when people were saying the same things about JoePa 4 years ago.  Penn State will be in a BCS bowl this year.  But none of this changes the fact that UT is in for a rude awakening.  That's not as easy a job to sell as the Vol nation is parading

AFWarrior83

November 16, 2008, 07:01:40 pm #68 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:10:40 pm by AFWarrior83
I think Tennessee is a top 15 school to coach at, and Arkansas is a top 25 school.  I would rather live in NW Arkansas though, and we have better facilities.  It's a push, but since Petrino is here, he's not going to make a lateral move that will have more pressure to win QUICKLY.

Most Arkansas fans are giving him a pass this year, and counting on him recruiting hard and building a solid future, which he has done thus far.  Maybe CBP wants to build Arkansas into a elite football school again, like it was in the 60's and 70's?  :razorback:
Hogville member since 2005.

Hoggish1

Quote from: SkunkyMunky on November 15, 2008, 12:32:20 pm
I like Petrino, but would not put it past him to jump if they offered more money.

Noone would blame anyone they know if someone offered them more money to work somewhere else.

Oops, hugger, you gave yourself away. You could never love Petrino having made a comment like that!  LMAO!!

Hoggish1

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 12:00:27 pm
Not at all. The author was using satire... UT is not nor would they talk to BP. He just got to arky and noone will go after him. If he was still at Atlanta this year? His name would def be in the mix. But not now.

We just may get another Ark guy... he he he I know y'all dont like it but dont be surprised...

You would be lucky to get him but I doubt it happens.  Davis is a good man but not in the same league as BP.  Good luck though...

huntindoc

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 16, 2008, 09:34:16 pm
You would be lucky to get him but I doubt it happens.  Davis is a good man but not in the same league as BP.  Good luck though...

I don't know Hoggish, while I'm thrilled to have BP, what Butch has accomplished at NC in a short period of time is impressive.  While I'd choose BP over Butch, I think they are in the same league.

hd

HogSlop

Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 15, 2008, 09:47:38 am
Now, I would take Dick over half the quarterbacks in the conference."
Really? I wouldn't take him over most teams' backup.
If you just Steven hill, just Steven Hill on Facebook too. Just the link...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43888077153#/group.php?gid=43888077153

TNhogfan

Quote from: The Realist on November 16, 2008, 06:49:44 pm
After he hired Clawson, he pulled a Nutt and said shut up, get in the box and let me coach my team.  His "team" included playing Jonathan Crompton for way too long and going to a backup that Clawson did not want either, as well as playing Arian Foster over clearly more talented players.  Can you name one starting RB in the SEC that has fumbled on the goal line more than 3 times this season?  All UT followers can.  Clawson tried to start BJ Coleman the game after UCLA but Fulmer has refused ever since, even with players coming out and saying they support Coleman over the others.   And by support, I mean even the players realizing and saying that Stephens and Crompton were physically and mentally incapable of doing what they needed to do. 
One booster that decided for Fat Phil to go - Haslam.  "Thunder" Thornton wanted him to stay which is why he had on a 'Fire Hamilton' hat at the WY game. Phil thought the $1M he and Miss Vickie gave would save his bacon.  He was told after BAMA by Peterson, not Hamilton, that he was gone.  Phil thought he could beat SC and save his job and get Hammy fired instead.  Didn't work, Phil's coaches & players then find out after everyone else knows.  There is some talk in ETN that they tanked the game to avoid going to a bowl game.

charlescraigb

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:00:49 am
UNIFORMS! You must be on crack man! NOTHING is as awsome as the BIG ORNAGE uniforms with the POWER T on the helmet. Your pig is cool but he aint no smokey my friend...

you know i do like the uniforms...who doesnt love a nice construction cone orange?? ill volunteer to wear taht color anyday im on the road. other than that its just sad

Fatmanhog

Quote from: charlescraigb on November 16, 2008, 10:25:29 pm
you know i do like the uniforms...who doesnt love a nice construction cone orange?? ill volunteer to wear taht color anyday im on the road. other than that its just sad
well yeah they all should be leaning on shovels ;D
also isnt there a contract restriction that would keep BP from going there or is that only to a SEC west team?
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Brownie Tuggle

Ut might be a better job to the National Media than Arkansas. But they can keep that Big Orange dump in Knoxville!! RRS is a better facility and Arkansas is upcoming in the SEC. UT is about to hit some seriously hard times.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 16, 2008, 06:31:32 pm

I am in no way devaluing their recent success....its one of the reasons I think they are crazy for getting rid of Fulmer.   ALLVOL was merely stating their storied history, and I was pointing out that they aren't Notre Dame.  Or even Nebraska for that matter.  They should appreciate what they have.  Their coach won them a national championship 10 years ago, and an SEC East championship last year...and they are holding out for, who, John Gruden?  HA HA HA.
You dont need to tell us who to go after or what to expect out of our program. We can handle that fine.

ALLVOL

Y'all can hope and wish and even believe that UT is going to be down for a long time. Y'alls irrational hate of UT is funny as hell to me. Most UT fans like Arky and are surprised that Arky hates UT at all esp as much as most of you do. We will be fine. UT is a very good job, a tough job? Yes because you are expected to win. If a coach is scared of that then he need not apply. But enjoy this year because it wont last long. UT will be back and in your mind you know it. We are UT!

pitbull1

CBP,is not going anywhere!  Several reasons why: (1)  That Tennessee orange really sucks, along with the orange checkerboard endzone, and the orange T on the helmet , center field.(UGLY).  (2) Then you have the song Rocky Top, man that would make me sick!!  (3) That wimpy Blue Tick Hound, even UGA is a better mascot.  (4) He already has a Razorback Hog Harley Davidson. I'm sure he wouldn't change the colors to a Puke Orange Tennesee bike.  (5)  He has a chance to make history here at Arkansas, for being the coach that win a NC since the 60's.  So it's not going to happen!!!

jmingram911

Quote from: Wolf on November 15, 2008, 10:42:11 am
Well you do have 2 conference titles to our 0 (I'm only counting since we joined the league).  Very impressive.  Your team runs through a T before the game.  Very creative.  The ghetto seats over 100,000.  Very large.  You won a national title thanks to Clint's fumble.  Very lucky.  I guess your right.  No arguing with you.

Very well said!!  Go Hogs!!

cosmodrum

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:00:49 am
UNIFORMS! You must be on crack man! NOTHING is as awsome as the BIG ORNAGE uniforms with the POWER T on the helmet. Your pig is cool but he aint no smokey my friend...

Yeah, that neon Velveeta shade of orange is beautiful. And I'll take this Rocky Top over yours any day...

Go away, batin'

pitbull1

Fresh Legs, why would you ask if I were a Bama fan??  Not Hardly!

Porkette

There is no doubt that the national perception is that Tennessee is a better job. But the national perception is consistently wrong. (Hence, the reason so many media members mocked and criticized us about the Nutt situation and for not being thrilled with his average of about 7 wins per year. That's plenty for poor little Arkansas right? How dare we not sit back and be content with that! We're just Arkansas!) In other words, the preception has little to do with reality. I think as far as the passion of the fan base, the recruiting base, faclities, and potential for the future (which matters far more than the history) the two jobs are pretty much even. I doubt TN is going to be down for a long time, but neither is Arkansas.  :razorback:
GO HOGS GO!

pitbull1

Pardon the h*ll out of me!  I was just having alittle fun like everyone else.  I meant no disrespect to Bobby Petrino or the the Arkansas Razorbacks, who I've supported since I was around 5-6 yoa and could listen to them, on a transistor radio, down in Eastern Arkansas.  IMO there was no need to insult me, by calling me a Bama fan.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Porkette on November 17, 2008, 02:55:51 pm
There is no doubt that the national perception is that Tennessee is a better job. But the national perception is consistently wrong. (Hence, the reason so many media members mocked and criticized us about the Nutt situation and for not being thrilled with his average of about 7 wins per year. That's plenty for poor little Arkansas right? How dare we not sit back and be content with that! We're just Arkansas!) In other words, the preception has little to do with reality. I think as far as the passion of the fan base, the recruiting base, faclities, and potential for the future (which matters far more than the history) the two jobs are pretty much even. I doubt TN is going to be down for a long time, but neither is Arkansas.  :razorback:
I find that in life Perception is reality. We dont have to like it but it is what others see and believe. I dont think Arky is a bad job at all. I would rank it below UT. That is not a slap as some think (there is that perception thing) I meant it to be. Just reality. UT is a top job in college football. Not the top. Some on here have taken this WAY out and added words to my post that I never stated. I would not think UT is as good a job as Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama and a few others. But I think most would consider it a top 10 job.

ALLVOL

Quote from: pitbull1 on November 18, 2008, 07:26:55 am
Pardon the h*ll out of me!  I was just having alittle fun like everyone else.  I meant no disrespect to Bobby Petrino or the the Arkansas Razorbacks, who I've supported since I was around 5-6 yoa and could listen to them, on a transistor radio, down in Eastern Arkansas.  IMO there was no need to insult me, by calling me a Bama fan.
Using a coaches initials is NOT a bammer thing. Ive been accused of the same. They do it on their boards but UT boards do the same. Hell Ive seen it on ESPN, CBSSPORTSLINE and others.

By the way. I like the fact you consider being called a bammer an insult. I would see it the same way.... lol

Hogjammin

It's not using the initials that is lame it's putting the "c" in front of the initials to stand for coach.  Alabama fans have always done this and it makes them sound like hacks.

pitbull1

Well you everyone has their own opinions I was just trying to have some fun, then I get insulted and over some BS.  I didn't consider it to be arrogant, I considered it respect.  I've been a razorback fan for too to be treated like that.

ALLVOL

Like I said, bammers may have done it or do it. But trust me I go to enough boards that I can tell you they were and are not the only ones who have done that. In fact the first time I ever saw that was on a blog on cbssportsline.

The real Hogules

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 18, 2008, 08:22:45 am
I find that in life Perception is reality. We dont have to like it but it is what others see and believe. I dont think Arky is a bad job at all. I would rank it below UT. That is not a slap as some think (there is that perception thing) I meant it to be. Just reality. UT is a top job in college football. Not the top. Some on here have taken this WAY out and added words to my post that I never stated. I would not think UT is as good a job as Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama and a few others. But I think most would consider it a top 10 job.

That just goes to show that one mans reality is another mans pile of Ole Smokey $#!T.

"I would not think UT is as good a job as Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama and a few others"

That my friend, is reality!
No offence intended................... 8)
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

fu-man-soo

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 18, 2008, 08:22:45 am

i would rather coach at TN than Notre Dame or Michigan, but that is just me

FaulknerHogfan