Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adams: Some names to toss around while you're bored (TN job)

Started by fu-man-soo, November 15, 2008, 09:47:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/nov/14/adams-some-names-toss-around-while-youre-bored/

"It's Bobby Petrino, the first-year Arkansas coach who was a first-year Falcons coach last season. Yeah, he moves around a lot. Big deal. But he has decided he prefers the colleges to the pros. And if you're going to coach college football, where would you rather be: Arkansas or Tennessee?

Petrino has impressed me in more ways than one this season. Most significantly, a not-so-talented Arkansas team has improved greatly as the season has gone along. Also, look what Petrino has done with quarterback Casey Dick. For the last two years, Dick was one of the first players who came to mind when anyone asked: "Who's the worst quarterback in the SEC?" Now, I would take Dick over half the quarterbacks in the conference."

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Brewhogg

Does this guy think that maybe somebody that is not a Tennessee homer may actually prefer Arkansas to Tennessee.  I guess Tennessee is the most wonderful awsomest school in the world.  Especially if you like Arrogance.
Just rub a little dirt on it and get back in there!

Divot

Editorial/opinion columns have their place in sports too, but this guy stole a paycheck this week.

HamHands

Besides the big stadium, what else does TN have to offer over Arkansas?
One day at a time.

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 15, 2008, 10:11:40 am

History, tradition, multiple national titles, multiple SEC titles...

ChicoHog

We're all Arkansas fans but ask 100 people not arkansas fans and not Tennessee fans and probably 99 of them will say Tennessee is a more prestigous job.  I hate to say it but it's true.  Maybe BP will change that perception and 10 years from now the answer will be different.  I hope so.

Bogustus

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 10:36:31 am

Well you do have 2 conference titles to our 0 (I'm only counting since we joined the league).  Very impressive.  Your team runs through a T before the game.  Very creative.  The ghetto seats over 100,000.  Very large.  You won a national title thanks to Clint's fumble.  Very lucky.  I guess your right.  No arguing with you.

ALLVOL

You dont need to get mad at ame. Im pointing out facts. UT is second to bammer in all time SEC wins and national titles. UT is a higher profile job on a national level. BP will only be arky coach for a long time in my opinion. The writer is a goober to even bring itup.

HamHands

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 10:48:12 am
You dont need to get mad at ame. Im pointing out facts. UT is second to bammer in all time SEC wins and national titles. UT is a higher profile job on a national level. BP will only be arky coach for a long time in my opinion. The writer is a goober to even bring itup.

I understand that TN has more SEC tradition, but I think Arkansas has more state support, better facilities(yes TN has more seating, but the stadium is not as nice), lots of money, similare landscape, and better uniforms. We have not won an SEC title or recent National Championship; therefore, I think the pressure may be less at Arkansas.
One day at a time.

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 15, 2008, 10:57:36 am
I understand that TN has more SEC tradition, but I think Arkansas has more state support, better facilities(yes TN has more seating, but the stadium is not as nice), lots of money, similare landscape, and better uniforms. We have not won an SEC title or recent National Championship; therefore, I think the pressure may be less at Arkansas.

UNIFORMS! You must be on crack man! NOTHING is as awsome as the BIG ORNAGE uniforms with the POWER T on the helmet. Your pig is cool but he aint no smokey my friend...

HamHands

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:00:49 am
UNIFORMS! You must be on crack man! NOTHING is as aw some as the BIG ORNAGE uniforms with the POWER T on the helmet. Your pig is cool but he ain't no smokey my friend...

That orange makes me sick, and how many time can you sing "rockytop" without puking. However, I will give you this, the national perception is that the TN job is more prestigious, but comparing the two, I don't think it has any more to offer than the AR job. Except higher expectations and more pressure.
One day at a time.

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 15, 2008, 11:05:20 am
That orange makes me sick, and how many time can you sing "rockytop" without puking. However, I will give you this, the national perception is that the TN job is more prestigious, but comparing the two, I don't think it has any more to offer than the AR job. Except higher expectations and more pressure.

Most beautiful unis on the planet... Rocky Top never gets old... And pressure comes with winning. The more a program wins the more the fans expect it. Pressure on a coach is a good thing in my opionion.

titanhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:00:49 am
UNIFORMS! You must be on crack man! NOTHING is as awsome as the BIG ORNAGE uniforms with the POWER T on the helmet. Your pig is cool but he aint no smokey my friend...

You've really got to be kidding.  There's really no comparison in helmets...Arkansas has one of the coolest helmets in college football.  A white helmet with a big orange T is not something to brag about.

And...I'm sorry, but Tennessee's color of orange is very feminine...or...it's deer hunter orange...or prison jumpsuit orange...one of those, take your pick.  Living in Tennessee, I know the UT fans are very proud of that color orange, but let's be for real...it's one UGLY color of orange.  I'll even go as far as saying Texas' (spit) orange is better than Tennessee's orange.

Now tradition wise...yes...Tennessee has more tradition, but not alot more.  Historically, Arkansas is probably right near the bottom of the Top 25 and I'd put Tennessee around #20 or the late teens.

Support...yes, Tennessee has more numbers...but of course the state of Tennessee has about 6 million people, while Arkansas has only 3 million.

HamHands

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:08:31 am
Most beautiful unis on the planet... Rocky Top never gets old... And pressure comes with winning. The more a program wins the more the fans expect it. Pressure on a coach is a good thing in my opionion.

hahaha! OK. As one homer to another, You, TN, and your coaching job all suck!  All hail to the cardinal and white, Tusk and the Razorback Nation!

We are just better.
One day at a time.

DirtyTeeth

BP is not going anywhere.

Tennessee may want him, but they won't get him and BP will not talk to them.
I think BP wants to get rid of the job-hopper perception.

navyhog24

i think i would trade casey for over half the qb's in the sec, save msu's qb.

TrojanHog

I don't see Petrino thinking the UT job is a better place for him. He is showing he can recruit players to Arkansas. In less than a year on the job he is getting into Texas and Louisiana. We have the A&M game in Dallas every year from here to forever to let Texas kids play in their home state. Tennessee can't pay that much more than we already are. He has full state wide backing during a losing season. Mallett, Adams, Williams, Wright, Knile Davis, etc... Will be here next year to run his system.

I don't see a single positive for Coach Petrino in jumping jobs after 1 season.

Oh and in this housing market, think how much he would lose on that new house he just bought.

Qui Gon Jinn

Tusk, the Razorback Helmet, Arkansas Facilities, and just about every other aspect of the Arkansas program is better than Tennessee.  Tennessee may have more titles, but I don't see more history or tradition.  Calling out those things just shows how stupid arrogance can be. Who cares what Tennessee history and tradition is.  On any given year, any coach has a chance to make history and build on tradition.

On another note, I keep seeing how Phil ran Johnny off.  However, I was going to school at Tennessee in 1992 when we beat Tennessee by 1 point.  Johnny was coaching and the whole state was calling for his head and everyone wanted Phil.  Phil didn't run him off, it was just time for a change.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ALLVOL

Quote from: AKRazorback on November 15, 2008, 11:38:50 am
Tusk, the Razorback Helmet, Arkansas Facilities, and just about every other aspect of the Arkansas program is better than Tennessee.  Tennessee may have more titles, but I don't see more history or tradition.  Calling out those things just shows how stupid arrogance can be. Who cares what Tennessee history and tradition is.  On any given year, any coach has a chance to make history and build on tradition.

On another note, I keep seeing how Phil ran Johnny off.  However, I was going to school at Tennessee in 1992 when we beat Tennessee by 1 point.  Johnny was coaching and the whole state was calling for his head and everyone wanted Phil.  Phil didn't run him off, it was just time for a change.
That is the only part of you post that is correct.

ALLVOL

Quote from: DirtyTeeth on November 15, 2008, 11:14:16 am
BP is not going anywhere.

Tennessee may want him, but they won't get him and BP will not talk to them.
I think BP wants to get rid of the job-hopper perception.

Not at all. The author was using satire... UT is not nor would they talk to BP. He just got to arky and noone will go after him. If he was still at Atlanta this year? His name would def be in the mix. But not now.

We just may get another Ark guy... he he he I know y'all dont like it but dont be surprised...

Qui Gon Jinn

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

SkunkyMunky

I like Petrino, but would not put it past him to jump if they offered more money.

Noone would blame anyone they know if someone offered them more money to work somewhere else.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 12:00:27 pm
Not at all. The author was using satire... UT is not nor would they talk to BP. He just got to arky and noone will go after him. If he was still at Atlanta this year? His name would def be in the mix. But not now.

We just may get another Ark guy... he he he I know y'all dont like it but dont be surprised...

You can have Nutt..We would like it fine.

HamHands

I think he is talking about Butch Davis. Maybe you get him, maybe you don't. Arkansas is still the better job with better facilities and a higer IQ than Tinner! Go Hogs!
One day at a time.

MojaveJoe

Tenessee is a better job than Arkansas - but not so much better. They have more tradition and a bigger stadium, but not much else. And certainly not enough of an advantage to take BP after only one season after the beating he took in the media.

This guy is a tool, Michigan has even more tradition that Tenn and a WAY better recruiting base, not to mention its a breeze to get into an NC being in the Big Ten. Why would Rodrigez even think about UT after one season?

What he called as his most outrageous pick, Steve Spurrier, was actually his least outrageous. What a nub.

Cheers!

MojaveJoe

ballhog™

When I lived in Tenn. one thing I learned is nothing sucks like a big orange...really though Tenn. is top 10-15 job.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: MojaveJoe on November 15, 2008, 12:55:31 pm
Tenessee is a better job than Arkansas - but not so much better. They have more tradition and a bigger stadium, but not much else. And certainly not enough of an advantage to take BP after only one season after the beating he took in the media.

This guy is a tool, Michigan has even more tradition that Tenn and a WAY better recruiting base, not to mention its a breeze to get into an NC being in the Big Ten. Why would Rodrigez even think about UT after one season?

What he called as his most outrageous pick, Steve Spurrier, was actually his least outrageous. What a nub.

Cheers!

We'll see how it turns out over the next few years. I don't think Tenn is a better job and I don't think they have anything on Arkansas. The past is the past. Things are changing..I remember when Notre Dame was a great place to coach.

Arkansas HS football and with a real coach to recruit will show what can happen here. You'll see Vol..Just give it a few years. BTW..Petrino is not the only coach who can get it done at Arkansas! But, he is the one for now.

The Realist

Tennessee is a better job than Arkansas.  I think to unbiased obersvers, that would be a given. 
But this idiot is just spouting off names that he has heard before...none that are in anyway being considered for UT's HC position so relax and stop getting all offended.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

rljjr

OKhogfan1959

The Realist

Quote from: LawnHog48 on November 15, 2008, 03:14:16 pm
Like I said just wait and see.
You are thinking about in terms of your perception.  Think about it in terms of a coach who has been around football his whole life with no committed relationship to a single school.  Yes all the coaches now were around when Tennessee was a national power so TN is clearly going to be seen as a better job than AR.  That's all I'm saying...to coaches across the country, TN is seen as a better job.  That's not some insult on Arkansas...just the way it is at this point.
Childs, Gregory.

OKhogfan1959

I understand realist. It's fixin to change..Arkansas will produce more talent in the future and real coaches can get players from Texas and La..

rmcchris

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 11:08:31 am
Most beautiful unis on the planet... Rocky Top never gets old... And pressure comes with winning. The more a program wins the more the fans expect it. Pressure on a coach is a good thing in my opinion.
TN is a more "thought of Program" at this time, I agree.  Facilities are not as nice as AR (any type/part).  BP is going to change the first part.  On the uniforms, I agree TN's is awesome.  Wear them on Saturday to the game, Hunting on Sunday (Orange you know) and then wear them to the work detail on Monday picking up trash on the side of the road.  Truly a multi functional uniform and color.

TushCrush

Quote from: HoginHeat on November 15, 2008, 10:11:40 am

They let that coon hound run around on the field while we continue to cage Tusk. I think they have that on us.

Corkscrew Johnson

Have you ever been to Knoxville?  I stop there when I need to pee and buy beef jerkey when driving through Tennessee.  It's not that great of a town, their state doesn't produce that many athletes, Phil Fulmer did more for that program than they are appreciating right now.  But they will appreciate it, soon enough....

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Why would any coach want the job at TN right now the recruiting process is gonna suck for awhile for them now that they are surrounded by big name coaches in the surrounding states.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

TNhogfan

Quote from: Brewhogg on November 15, 2008, 10:05:46 am
Does this guy think that maybe somebody that is not a Tennessee homer may actually prefer Arkansas to Tennessee.  I guess Tennessee is the most wonderful awsomest school in the world.  Especially if you like Arrogance.
As Fat Phil knows all too well, John Adams is anything but a TN homer.  Adams graduated from LSU.  He is the sports editior of the K-ville paper and his columns are always sarcastic pieces, which this one is supposed to be.  TN fans hate him.  I enjoy listening to his radio show because he makes them all so mad.  He's being sarcastic and UT fans think he's serious.

The Realist

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 15, 2008, 05:08:27 pm
Why would any coach want the job at TN right now the recruiting process is gonna suck for awhile for them now that they are surrounded by big name coaches in the surrounding states.
Look at their recruiting class this year.  They aren't struggling.  Their recruiting class struggled last year because they lost so many assistant coaches who were the keys to a lot of recruits.
Knoxville has an appeal to college aged kids.  You have places like Tuscaloosa, Oxford and Fayetteville that have a small town feel to them.  Some kids like that setting for college.  Knoxville probably has the biggest metropolitan/big city feel to it of any campus in the SEC with a metro population of nearly 700,000.  Alot of recruits like that too.  Try to look at it from all angles and not just the negative view.  Kids go their for a reason the same way they go anywhere else.  It has it's appeals
Childs, Gregory.

The Realist

Quote from: W.MemphisHog on November 15, 2008, 06:34:16 pm

Our Tradition includes .. A 22 game win streak that placed us one of the top programs of the 60's ...1964 National Title .....  Game of the Century    in 1969... ALL TIME # 18 AP Poll.  A program who has produced the only 2 coaches to win a Super Bowl AND  NCAA Titles......  1995, 1998, 2002, 2006 West division titles and numerous SWC Titles.   We were also a DOMINANT program in the 70's and 80's under HOLtz  We ain't slop just a newcomer to the SEC........It looks like we might be able to start demanding SEC respect in the near future.
The one problem with most of the things you just listed....Arkansas' biggest accomplishments were almost 40 years ago.  You can see the problem in perception with that.  We still have never won the SEC overall.  I want Arkansas to be listed as an elite program with anyone...but trying to look at objectively I can't say that right now.  I see the potential over the next 3 years to put us back in to a perennial SEC contender but not right now.  We are known for Darren McFadden, running the ball, and Houston Nutt right now. 
Childs, Gregory.

HamHands

Quote from: TushCrush on November 15, 2008, 04:47:44 pm
They let that coon hound run around on the field while we continue to cage Tusk. I think they have that on us.
Yea, cause Tusk will eat your leg off! That coon dog will just rub up and down on your leg til he's finished.
One day at a time.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Hawg2011 on November 15, 2008, 04:58:13 pm
Not to cause a ruckus, but just remember EVERYTHING you say like that...has been said about us.

Doesn't make me wrong.

songofthesword

this is extremely silly espically to be a 2 page discussion

Petrino makes 3 mil a year, has probably the most physically talented QB int he nation in the wings to take over for at least 2 years, has a great group of WR's, great faclities, doesn't compete with anyone in state for recruits, has probably the best RB in the nation pretty much comitted to arkansas and in 1 year he has put together what might be arkansas's best recruiting class ever.. and he wants to LEAVE?

GTF out of here

Corkscrew Johnson

November 15, 2008, 07:49:08 pm #49 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:55:54 pm by Corkscrew Johnson
Quote from: ALLVOL on November 15, 2008, 10:36:31 am

Yeah, I bet recruits are doing backflips to come to Tennessee because of their 1938, 1950, and 1951 national titles (3 of their grand total of 4 that are nationally recognized).

Tennessee is a tough job.

1.  It comes with expectations.  You better win (didn't Fulmer win the SEC East last year?), which isn't easy because....
2.  You have to play against SEC East giants every year, plus Alabama
3.  You have to recruit out of other people's states, since Tennessee doesn't produce a lot of in-state talent (and Ole Miss is considered more of a home to the Memphis recruits).  And Tennessee is second fiddle to its neighboring states with talent...Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi.  Fulmer had success pulling in recruits nationwide....and his success was not because of Tennessee.  It was because he was Phil Fulmer.

What Tennessee does have going for it is a 100,000 person stadium, fan support, and its recent tradition generated by Phil Fulmer.  Sadly, UT just got rid of 33% of its advantages.