Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Davis is leading candidate to replace Fulmer

Started by fu-man-soo, November 09, 2008, 07:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomis Hawg

I have no problem with Knoxville.

I agree with the masses that Butch is at his last job.  Brian Kelly would have Tennessee in the SEC Title Game in 3 years. 

ALLVOL

I dont know if we get Butch or not but there is something going on. Either he is using UT to get more from UNC or he is interested. This story has teeth. I dont which one it is but there is something. He may want facility upgrades etc... but there is something.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 10, 2008, 12:25:07 pm
I dont know if we get Butch or not but there is something going on. Either he is using UT to get more from UNC or he is interested. This story has teeth. I dont which one it is but there is something. He may want facility upgrades etc... but there is something.

http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=2&c=810208

LuckyGiraffe

I think you will see Tim Brewster being named the new head coach at UT shortly after November 22nd.

Very good coach; worse school, worse conference, worse paycheck, and worse facilities.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 10, 2008, 12:25:07 pm

Exactly why should we believe the story has teef? 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 10, 2008, 02:02:40 pm
Exactly why should we believe the story has teef? 
The sources Im hearing it from. Like I said he may very well be using UT to get more from UNC money, facilities etc...

dsewell70

Only way Knoxville and Fayetteville are comparable is that they each are surrounded by mountains. As far as what's available to do in town, what and who comes to town for concerts and whatnot, Fayetteville doesn't compare to Knoxville. Now if your'e comparing the living areas, Fayetteville may indeed have it beat.

dsewell70

but if he's looking at things other than cash, Davis would be wise to stay in Chapel Hill

The Hog

Gruden blog for what it is worth: http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/

Davis take by AD: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/unc-ad-davis-is-committed

It looks like neither for UT but the final chapter is not written.
Automatic RUN!

PigTimePlayer

The local radio guys in Nashville seem to think that Brian Kelly is the leader, but that's just what I heard them say on the radio.  They had a guest who was supposed to be an insider, you know how the radio shows go.  Didn't think that they would go with an NFL coach (Gruden) or a coordinator (Muschamp).  They are saying that the TN AD wants to go the route that they took when they hired Pearl from Milwaukee-Wisconsin.  Brian Kelly fits the bill.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 10, 2008, 03:08:30 pm
The sources Im hearing it from. Like I said he may very well be using UT to get more from UNC money, facilities etc...

What exactly is being said that makes you believe Davis has responded to UT's wooing?  I'm not sure about your source, but I damn well know there's plenty of solid sources on this end and if they confirmed what your guy claims is going down on BD's end, then you might have sumfin. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

razorback3072

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 10, 2008, 03:08:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3682303

and before anything is said about coaches saying this and then taking the job later, BD has a lot of ties to AR and a lot of people swore he was the next coach after Nutt left.  Even after BD came out and said he wasn't interested people were still swearing he was the next coach here.  He is not leaving UNC.  At least not now.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

The Hog

Our situation with Petrino is entirely different from the Vols.  Petrino was immediately available.  Kiffin would fit this bill.  Gruden, Davis, Kelley, Muschamp, Leach, etc. are involved with teams who's season are in a position to make a bowl game and with Gruden and Marrone, NFL playoffs.  There will not be any word from these guys during their season.  The earliest would be immediately after the season is over.  Then you will see if any are eager to be a Tennessee coach.  At this time they will deny all reports to keep their team heading in the right direction.  Get in a Bowl game or make the playoffs.
Automatic RUN!

Hogjammin

I would love for them to hire Kiffin.  We could look forward to a lot more mediocre years from Tennessee.  That guy is flat out a terrible coach.  I almost died when I thought Arkansas was going to hire him.

havok

One has to figure... at North Carolina... Football is an Afterthought/secondary.  Basketball is what is the Main Dish there...and maybe Davis wants to go where he is front and center, where football is the main game in town.

smoked hog

For our sake I hope its Kiffin, I do not want to see Brian Kelly in the SEC.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 10, 2008, 09:42:07 pm
What exactly is being said that makes you believe Davis has responded to UT's wooing?  I'm not sure about your source, but I damn well know there's plenty of solid sources on this end and if they confirmed what your guy claims is going down on BD's end, then you might have sumfin. 
I didnt say Davis IS coming to UT. But there is little doubt there is talk. Atleast between the firm UT hired and BD agent. Like I said he may just want to get more money from UNC or better facilities etc... But there is talk. I am sure of that.

Feralhog

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 11, 2008, 12:55:46 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3682303

and before anything is said about coaches saying this and then taking the job later, BD has a lot of ties to AR and a lot of people swore he was the next coach after Nutt left.  Even after BD came out and said he wasn't interested people were still swearing he was the next coach here.  He is not leaving UNC.  At least not now.

It's because those people knew the kind of money we were throwing his way.  Hell, half the Internets in NC were predicting BD's departure, and most understood if Butch wanted to return to his Alma Mater.  Butch told us NC would be his last gig.  Sounds like he still feels that way.

Feralhog

Quote from: havok on November 11, 2008, 07:52:14 am
One has to figure... at North Carolina... Football is an Afterthought/secondary.  Basketball is what is the Main Dish there...and maybe Davis wants to go where he is front and center, where football is the main game in town.

N. Carolina is capable of pulling for more than one sport.  BB can't compete with the revenue that of a successful football program, so BD will weld plenty of power.  The fact that N. Carol is in a WEAK but respected BCS conference, the road to the championship would no doubt be potentially easier than UT.

Bottom line, even if everything I said was wrong, there's reasons BD will remain loyal to N. Carol, money or the limelight isn't very high on Davis' list of importance at this stage in his life.

But you frikers keep dreaming   

Feralhog

November 11, 2008, 09:12:49 am #70 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:15:05 am by Feralhog
Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 08:49:00 am
I didnt say Davis IS coming to UT. But there is little doubt there is talk. Atleast between the firm UT hired and BD agent. Like I said he may just want to get more money from UNC or better facilities etc... But there is talk. I am sure of that.

I didn't say you said BD was coming, I said give us more information surrounding the kind of things BD has done to send the signal that he's responding to UT's wooing.

Sounds like one of those, depends on what is, is.

Do Talks Mean- One side contacting the other and the other saying, I'm not interested?  Or Do talks mean- Actual negotiations taking place?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 11, 2008, 09:12:49 am
I didn't say you said BD was coming, I said give us more information surrounding the kind of things BD has done to send the signal that he's responding to UT's wooing.

Sounds like one of those, depends on what is, is.

Do Talks Mean- One side contacting the other and the other saying, I'm not interested?  Or Do talks mean- Actual negotiations taking place?
I dont care what you call it. But there is NO DOUBT his agent has had or is having discussions with the search firm UT hired. Like I said it could be to better things in NC but there are talks.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 09:17:24 am
I dont care what you call it. But there is NO DOUBT his agent has had or is having discussions with the search firm UT hired. Like I said it could be to better things in NC but there are talks.

I have news for ya, an agent doing his job isn't talks dude.  Now, if your guy is claiming that BD initiated the talks, you might have sumfin, but to be honest, I'd have my doubts about the reliability of your source.   I know a little about Butch's situation in NC, and I would be very surprised, change that, I would be shocked if BD initiated contact or was exploiting the situation to milk money from N. Carolina.   

longtimeHogfan

November 11, 2008, 09:32:52 am #73 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:35:03 am by longtimeHogfan
Quote from: East Clintwood on November 09, 2008, 08:53:32 amIf he was going to leave at all I think he would have come here last year. 

At one point, during the firestorm that was TCTWF, TCTWF was still here.  Thus, no opening for Davis.  Then, when there was an opening, Davis was in his first season at NC.  Not a good time to change directions. 

It was bad timing for Davis and us, or things might have been different.  I'm more than happy with the way things turned out.  The thought of Davis at UT should have the rest of the SEC catching their collective breaths. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Feralhog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 11, 2008, 09:32:52 am
At one point, during the firestorm that was TCTWF, TCTWF was still here.  Thus, no opening for Davis.  Then, when there was an opening, Davis was in his first season at NC.  Not a good time to change directions. 

It was bad timing for Davis and us, or things might have been different.  I'm more than happy with the way things turned out.  The thought of Davis at UT should have the rest of the SEC catching their collective breaths. 

There's a loyalty Butch has with the admins at NC that goes beyond money

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 11, 2008, 09:26:49 am
I have news for ya, an agent doing his job isn't talks dude.  Now, if your guy is claiming that BD initiated the talks, you might have sumfin, but to be honest, I'd have my doubts about the reliability of your source.   I know a little about Butch's situation in NC, and I would be very surprised, change that, I would be shocked if BD initiated contact or was exploiting the situation to milk money from N. Carolina.  

I didnt say Butch did. I said there are/were talks. I do know that.

ALLVOL

November 11, 2008, 10:00:47 am #76 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:03:05 am by ALLVOL
Lets not forget either that this is a JOB. Coach after coach has said they were not going to leave here or there and they do. For instance Butch had said that he had NO interest in leaving Miami and was working on contract negotiations with Miami while turning down Alabama and the Houston Texans. He had said leaving Miami would make him feel like a dead beat dad for leaving his kids because they were truly a family. He later left for Cleveland. That doesnt make him a bad guy it makes him a business man. Will he come to UT? I and no one else knows. If he does I will be very happy if he doesnt then I have no ill will towards him or any other coach. I understand it is a business and people need to do what is best for them and their family.

DeltaBoy

Brain Kelly will wind up at UT and the rest of the East will Weep.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: oldbear on November 09, 2008, 08:54:02 am
Just posing a question, but do you think we are SEC arrogant to some extent? What I mean is that we believe that Davis will bolt Chapel Hill or Leach will leave Lubbock for Knoxville. Both have built their respective programs into nationally ranked winners. Leach has the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas and Davis seems to have no problem getting kids to become Tar Heels.

I also think about Tenner being a better job, but even if it is these guys have built something and established themselves and their families. With Petrino we hit upon the perfect storm. He was a great coach in a bad situation. His family hated where they were. These guys don't seem to be in that situation and Tenner surely cannot pay that much more than Tech or UNC. What do you guys think?

You are kidding right?  Tenn can out pay those two schools combined and not even notice the outlay.

The real question will be do either one of those guys want to change jobs? 

Hoggish1

Quote from: dsewell70 on November 10, 2008, 04:05:21 pm
Only way Knoxville and Fayetteville are comparable is that they each are surrounded by mountains. As far as what's available to do in town, what and who comes to town for concerts and whatnot, Fayetteville doesn't compare to Knoxville. Now if your'e comparing the living areas, Fayetteville may indeed have it beat.

Can't agree.  Fayetteville is in a better recruiting location, believe it or not. 

It is also becoming a financial center and has loads of $ that is untapped.

Knoxville is OK but not as attractive in today's SEC as it once was.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 09:17:24 am

Talks = money.  Didn't we see that last year with our search. 

BD has everything in his favor minus the pressure.  At his age and with his medical situation, those are important considerations. 

Start getting ready for someone completely off the current radar, or Kelly.  You could do lots worse.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 10:00:47 am
Lets not forget either that this is a JOB. Coach after coach has said they were not going to leave here or there and they do. For instance Butch had said that he had NO interest in leaving Miami and was working on contract negotiations with Miami while turning down Alabama and the Houston Texans. He had said leaving Miami would make him feel like a dead beat dad for leaving his kids because they were truly a family. He later left for Cleveland. That doesnt make him a bad guy it makes him a business man. Will he come to UT? I and no one else knows. If he does I will be very happy if he doesnt then I have no ill will towards him or any other coach. I understand it is a business and people need to do what is best for them and their family.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that move to Cleve.  He was younger and the lure of the NFL has bitten many a coach to only see them regret the move.

If Butch didn't come here, he ain't going to TN.

Stop thinking about it because it isn't happening.  Kelly is you're man.  He will not be at Cincy hext year.  The only question is will he take TN over a lot of great offers minus the pressure of trying to make it happen in a div. with FL, GA and a rising KY, USC and Vandy?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 11, 2008, 10:46:56 am
A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that move to Cleve.  He was younger and the lure of the NFL has bitten many a coach to only see them regret the move.

If Butch didn't come here, he ain't going to TN.

Stop thinking about it because it isn't happening.  Kelly is you're man.  He will not be at Cincy hext year.  The only question is will he take TN over a lot of great offers minus the pressure of trying to make it happen in a div. with FL, GA and a rising KY, USC and Vandy?

I dont know if it will be Kelly or not. But I dont want any coach that even remotely thinks the job would be to difficult. I cant imagine a coach that would turn down a job because its to tough. Those kinds of coaches dont last long. Every coach that is worth his salt thinks that they can out coach anyone, anywhere and anytime. Coaches are among if not the most competitive people on earth. Being in the SEC is more of a lure than a distraction to most coaches.

Feralhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 10:00:47 am

Sometimes the money can get so sick, not accepting would be irresponsible to the man's family.  Knoxville isn't a bad place at all to live so it's not like that would be a determent.  My point is, it's my understanding that money isn't an issue with Davis.  It's also my understanding that Butch's reasons for staying at North Carolina go beyond football.  The talks your referencing appear to be weighted heavily to one side.  There's still a lot of time before UT will likely announce their man, and anythings possible, but claiming Davis is the leading candidate to replace Fulmer is, at best, premature, and imo highly unlikely.  But hey, this post and dollar will buy you a share of GM stock.

PigTimePlayer

November 11, 2008, 10:18:16 pm #84 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:20:43 pm by PigTimePlayer
David Climer, columnist for the Tennessean, said on the radio this afternoon that the job is Butch Davis's to turn down.  He said if Butch wants it, it's his.  Does Butch want it or not is the question. 

There was also an article in the paper today concerning some of their recruits who are reconsidering

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081111/SPORTS0601/811110346/1002/SPORTS
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 11, 2008, 03:11:24 pm
Sometimes the money can get so sick, not accepting would be irresponsible to the man's family.  Knoxville isn't a bad place at all to live so it's not like that would be a determent.  My point is, it's my understanding that money isn't an issue with Davis.  It's also my understanding that Butch's reasons for staying at North Carolina go beyond football.  The talks your referencing appear to be weighted heavily to one side.  There's still a lot of time before UT will likely announce their man, and anythings possible, but claiming Davis is the leading candidate to replace Fulmer is, at best, premature, and imo highly unlikely.  But hey, this post and dollar will buy you a share of GM stock.
Thats fair. I do think UT is after him not the other way.

ALLVOL

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on November 11, 2008, 10:18:16 pm
David Climer, columnist for the Tennessean, said on the radio this afternoon that the job is Butch Davis's to turn down.  He said if Butch wants it, it's his.  Does Butch want it or not is the question. 

There was also an article in the paper today concerning some of their recruits who are reconsidering

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081111/SPORTS0601/811110346/1002/SPORTS
That is to be expected. I just hope we dont lose many. The sooner we get a coach the better.

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 10:24:43 pm
That is to be expected. I just hope we dont lose many. The sooner we get a coach the better.

Long time til signing day.  I expect UT to hire a great coach - Butch or whoever - and there will be plenty of time for the recruits to stay committed

ALLVOL

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on November 11, 2008, 10:26:48 pm
Long time til signing day.  I expect UT to hire a great coach - Butch or whoever - and there will be plenty of time for the recruits to stay committed
I sure hope you are right.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

That would be huge for Butch... but will he really go there???  he makes 1.7mil a year (comparable to a mid SEC salary) and all he probably has to do to retain that amount is get UNC 7 and 8 win seasons... or consistent bowl bids.  Tenn is going to have to shell out some serious cash, which they will.

Feralhog

Quote from: gguillo on November 11, 2008, 10:34:57 pm
That would be huge for Butch... but will he really go there???  he makes 1.7mil a year (comparable to a mid SEC salary) and all he probably has to do to retain that amount is get UNC 7 and 8 win seasons... or consistent bowl bids.  Tenn is going to have to shell out some serious cash, which they will.

Tennessee isn't a situation where all the new guy needs to do is waive a magic wand and pooof.  They're back among the East elites.  There are some very real obstacles facing UT football, regardless of what some of their fans believe.   The right guy could get 'em out in a couple, maybe three years, but it won't be easy.   

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on November 11, 2008, 10:42:22 pm
Tennessee isn't a situation where all the new guy needs to do is waive a magic wand and pooof.  They're back among the East elites.  There are some very real obstacles facing UT football, regardless of what some of their fans believe.   The right guy could get 'em out in a couple, maybe three years, but it won't be easy.  
There is not an empty cupboard at UT for the next coach. Fulmer will leave UT in MUCH better shape than many coaches leave their schools when fired.

Feralhog

November 11, 2008, 10:54:38 pm #92 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:31:23 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 10:44:52 pm
There is not an empty cupboard at UT for the next coach. Fulmer will leave UT in MUCH better shape than many coaches leave their schools when fired.

I think we went over this in another thread.  Being loaded on paper doesn't necessarily equate to being loaded. Granted the cupboard isn't as bare as what Nutt left us, but the talent level, pretty much across the board, isn't what it was five years ago.  I think there's several examples, but the most glaring is UCLA kicking your ass, I don't care how bad a coach Fulmer is.  If your talent level was decent, you guys would have won.

The Hog

Quote from: Feralhog on November 11, 2008, 10:54:38 pm
I think we went over this in another thread.  Being loaded on paper doesn't necessarily equate to being loaded. Granted the cupboard isn't as bare as what Nutt left us, but the talent level, pretty much across the board, isn't what it was five years ago.  I think there's several examples, but the most glaring is UCLA kicking your ass, I don't care how bad a coach Fulmer is.  If your talent level was decent, you guys would have won.
It looks like talent may be the only thing keeping Tennessee in games.  This late in the season and the offense is absolutely terrible from the few games I have watched.  The defense is pretty good but they cannot stay on the field most of the time and expect to score for the offense.  Looking over their roster their defense will be solid next year.
Automatic RUN!

El Puerco

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 11, 2008, 10:44:52 pm

Granted, you guys will be in much better shape than Nutt left us......but you guys are loaded "on paper" right now and you can't beat your way out of a wet paper bag.  Unless you hire Saban, you're going to get beat up for a few years.

ALLVOL

Quote from: El Puerco on November 12, 2008, 07:12:10 am
Granted, you guys will be in much better shape than Nutt left us......but you guys are loaded "on paper" right now and you can't beat your way out of a wet paper bag.  Unless you hire Saban, you're going to get beat up for a few years.
Saban is not the only good coach. And UT's defense is ranked higher than you may think. But the offense is so bad it is unnacceptable.

opineonswine

Butch, Gruden, Cutcliffe all say no to Vols.  No surprise.

ALLVOL

Quote from: opineonswine on November 12, 2008, 10:06:00 am
Butch, Gruden, Cutcliffe all say no to Vols.  No surprise.

Cut was NEVER asked and wont be. What do you expect a coach with a team still playing to say to a question from the media? Dont read that as thinking that Im saying we WILL get either Gruden or Butch. But you can read that as me saying we never have nor would we ask Cut.

elksnort

Tennessee will surely be very good again soon. Tennessee has tradition, in a great conference, and a huge stadium as their best selling points. Tennessee, like FSU, Miami and some others are not getting the players they were in the 1990s. Recruting is getting more difficult for them all the time.

Just because one knows the names of the players on one's team, does not mean that these players are very good or great. This has been discussed before on this site.

Tennessee is not as great as a job as many might think.