Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Davis is leading candidate to replace Fulmer

Started by fu-man-soo, November 09, 2008, 07:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ekyle1

I think Daivis is happy at UNC....Tenn better start throwing money at him!

Torqued pork

Prosciutto

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on November 09, 2008, 08:29:20 am
I would hate to see Mike Leach in Knoxville.

I would rather see Leach than Bobby P..  Tenn. is not going to get a bad coach. They are definitely going to upgrade. When it is a done deal, we will still have a better coach than Tenn.

ekyle1

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on November 09, 2008, 08:29:20 am
I would hate to see Mike Leach in Knoxville.
If he wins it all...TT will start giving their frist born to keep him..

Torqued pork

Quote from: ekyle1 on November 09, 2008, 08:39:57 am
If he wins it all...TT will start giving their frist born to keep him..
TT has never been as good as they are this year and prolly won't ever be this good again. If Tennessee offers I bet he will take it.

East Clintwood

I don't think Davis will leave NC.  If he was going to leave at all I think he would have come here last year.  With his age and health issues combined with the fact that he really seems to like it where he is, I don't think he'll leave NC until he's ready to retire.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

oldbear

Just posing a question, but do you think we are SEC arrogant to some extent? What I mean is that we believe that Davis will bolt Chapel Hill or Leach will leave Lubbock for Knoxville. Both have built their respective programs into nationally ranked winners. Leach has the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas and Davis seems to have no problem getting kids to become Tar Heels.

I also think about Tenner being a better job, but even if it is these guys have built something and established themselves and their families. With Petrino we hit upon the perfect storm. He was a great coach in a bad situation. His family hated where they were. These guys don't seem to be in that situation and Tenner surely cannot pay that much more than Tech or UNC. What do you guys think?

Theolesnort

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 09, 2008, 08:53:32 am
I don't think Davis will leave NC.  If he was going to leave at all I think he would have come here last year.  With his age and health issues combined with the fact that he really seems to like it where he is, I don't think he'll leave NC until he's ready to retire.
You are so right. Davis is where he NEEDS to be.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

ALLVOL

ALLVOL

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 09, 2008, 08:53:32 am
You may be right. But it is amazing what 4 million a year will do to make someone realize how happy they could be elsewhere.

ALLVOL

Quote from: ekyle1 on November 09, 2008, 08:24:13 am
I think Daivis is happy at UNC....Tenn better start throwing money at him!
If they give me the check book consider that money thrown! Davis is my first choice in the nation. I have no idea if we get him of not but I would do all I could to get him. Hell if need be I'll go pack him and move his stuff to KTown myself.

Purple Tiger

A coach that can recruit is a priority for Vols as they have very weak hs talent instate.

The Hog

This report appears to be the college edition.  There are three pro coaches in consideration.  Ex-coach Lane Kiffin, Jon Gruden and Doug Marrone.  Kiffin will be the easiest target while Gruden and Marrone will be tough for the Vols to hire.
Automatic RUN!

beachhawg

I would be willing to bet that the name Mike Leach is tossed about by Tenn.  Leach would love to have his show in front of 100,000+ instead of the 50,000 they seat in Lubbock.  I bet he is sitting at the kitchen table drinking his coffee, reading hogville, and thinking  what he could do with a better recruiting base in Knoxville.

The real Hogules

I'm almost 110% positive that Butch Davis will NOT end up coaching in Tennessee and will only use the offer to sweeten his position at UNC.

I honestly believe that if he were going to leave he would have done so last year and headed home and been within a stones throw of his parents, who are getting on up there in age.

From everything I've read and heard Butch and his entire family love it in North Carolina and I certainly don't see him making a move and starting over again in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football.

He'll have a MUCH easier path to a BCS game from his present location than he would have in Knoxville, wading through the mine field that is the SEC-E.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ALLVOL

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 09, 2008, 09:53:42 am
I'm almost 110% positive that Butch Davis will NOT end up coaching in Tennessee and will only use the offer to sweeten his position at UNC.

I honestly believe that if he were going to leave he would have done so last year and headed home and been within a stones throw of his parents, who are getting on up there in age.

From everything I've read and heard Butch and his entire family love it in North Carolina and I certainly don't see him making a move and starting over again in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football.

He'll have a MUCH easier path to a BCS game from his present location than he would have in Knoxville, wading through the mine field that is the SEC-E.

Davis may not go to UT. But I can guarantee you it will have nothing to do with the competition within the SEC. There is no doubt in my mind that Davis knows he can more than hold his own in the SEC.
Is he happy in NC? Surely, its a beautiful place. But KTown is pretty nice and 4 million dollars can make things even nicer. Dont forget, in KTown he is as close to an airport to reach his parents as he is at UNC.

CORZRBACKFAN

Butch Davis? Forget about it! Butch has made plenty of money between Miami and Cleveland, and I seem to recall that UNC is compensating him in the 2mill+ range-does he need to add the delusional UT fan pressure and building from the Fulmer ruins aspect to his list of worries when he has a great chance to finish what Mack Brown couldn't at UNC? It seemed obvious that he is very happy in Chapel Hill when he showed little interest in coming home last fall. All UT can really offer is money, and he doesn't need it.

I've heard people and publications throw around Gruden's name, and it puzzles me. We all know BP the NFL to SEC jump, but it was largely based on the fact that he hated the BS of the NFL. He could never have the control over his players that he had in the NCAA, and his family hated Hotlanta. On the flip side, Jon Gruden is a World Champion. He was the youngest coach to accomplish that, and has been in the NFL for 18 years. Why would he want the UT job again? Lane Kiffin makes complete sense. He was at the helm of the most dysfunctional team in ANY sport, and would be able to handle UT's fans with no problems after that. I think that his youth and NFL experience would speak volumes in the recruiting process, and I really hope he ends up at Washington instead. He's an extremely dangerous college coach in the making, and I don't think there are many SEC fans out there who want to see this guy in Knoxville.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Bailey on November 09, 2008, 09:53:10 am
I would be willing to bet that the name Mike Leach is tossed about by Tenn.  Leach would love to have his show in front of 100,000+ instead of the 50,000 they seat in Lubbock.  I bet he is sitting at the kitchen table drinking his coffee, reading hogville, and thinking  what he could do with a better recruiting base in Knoxville.

Don't be so sure.  Leach is a different kind of guy.  I'm not going to assume he is motivated by the same things that motivates other coaches.  He may not want to deal with all the booster and political bs that comes with TN job.  Doesn't appear to be much of a glad hander.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jdevers

November 09, 2008, 10:23:25 am #19 Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:25:46 am by jdevers
It would take Mike Leach 4 or 5 years to truly get his system in place at Tennessee and have it any where near the level it is at now, there is no way that the yellow crazies will give a coach that much time. 

Oh, and while the Tenn stadium seats twice as many people they aren't any louder, Lubbock is the loudest small stadium in the country.  Tenn also has a horrible natural recruiting base and just enjoys a very well established connection to many high schools throughout the country to get its recruits.  Change the system completely and a lot of that would go away.

Beaverfever

UT hiring leech would be really stupid.  I didn't want him last year when we were looking and I still wouldn't want him.  If TT didn't luck into having a freak at quarterback and a couple of crazy good WR's they would be the same as they always are, average.  Leech will not have Harrell forever.

ALLVOL

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on November 09, 2008, 10:19:09 am
Butch Davis? Forget about it! Butch has made plenty of money between Miami and Cleveland, and I seem to recall that UNC is compensating him in the 2mill+ range-does he need to add the delusional UT fan pressure and building from the Fulmer ruins aspect to his list of worries when he has a great chance to finish what Mack Brown couldn't at UNC? It seemed obvious that he is very happy in Chapel Hill when he showed little interest in coming home last fall. All UT can really offer is money, and he doesn't need it.

I've heard people and publications throw around Gruden's name, and it puzzles me. We all know BP the NFL to SEC jump, but it was largely based on the fact that he hated the BS of the NFL. He could never have the control over his players that he had in the NCAA, and his family hated Hotlanta. On the flip side, Jon Gruden is a World Champion. He was the youngest coach to accomplish that, and has been in the NFL for 18 years. Why would he want the UT job again? Lane Kiffin makes complete sense. He was at the helm of the most dysfunctional team in ANY sport, and would be able to handle UT's fans with no problems after that. I think that his youth and NFL experience would speak volumes in the recruiting process, and I really hope he ends up at Washington instead. He's an extremely dangerous college coach in the making, and I don't think there are many SEC fans out there who want to see this guy in Knoxville.
Time and time again I see fans say money doesnt matter with this coach or that coach. Also I see where this coach would have done this or that if they were going to move. Rich Rod turned down bammer and NOONE thought he would go to Mich but what happened? He left home to go to a top notch job. 4 million a year and an opportunity to coach agianst the best is a HUGE lure for a top notch coach. He would have the WORLD at TN. Money, facilities, national recruiting base and there is talent there now. I'm not saying he is coming but there is something going on with UT and Davis.

ALLVOL

Quote from: jdevers on November 09, 2008, 10:23:25 am
It would take Mike Leach 4 or 5 years to truly get his system in place at Tennessee and have it any where near the level it is at now, there is no way that the yellow crazies will give a coach that much time. 

Oh, and while the Tenn stadium seats twice as many people they aren't any louder, Lubbock is the loudest small stadium in the country.  Tenn also has a horrible natural recruiting base and just enjoys a very well established connection to many high schools throughout the country to get its recruits.  Change the system completely and a lot of that would go away.

YELLOW? ???  Those ar Fighting words. We're BIG ORANGE crazies!

BigDeal

I'm glad we didn't get Davis and I think Tennessee can do much better than that too.

I thank you.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Root66 on November 09, 2008, 10:50:10 am
As long as we have Bobby Petrino at the helm, there is no coach anyone could hire that concerns me all that much. We will be a FORCE in the SEC and on the national scene, no matter what.

depends on how long Petrino stays

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 09, 2008, 05:51:20 pm

wow, i have never heard someone say that. very original.

El Puerco

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 09, 2008, 05:51:20 pm

Is this really the year for TN fans to talk smack?

Hawgon

Why would anyone volutarily go to Knoxville?  It is pretty much a craphole.

El Puerco

Yeah, you know, I take it back.  It would offend me a little if he landed at TN after telling the home state he felt committed to NC

BigDeal

Quote from: Hawgon on November 09, 2008, 05:55:59 pm
Why would anyone volutarily go to Knoxville?  It is pretty much a craphole.

Actually, East Tennessee is quite beautiful.

I thank you.

The Recruiting Guy

Never know but I don't see Butch leaving NC.

Leach would probably jump at the chance. He wanted the Arkansas job.

Hawgon

Quote from: BigDeal on November 09, 2008, 05:58:50 pm
Actually, East Tennessee is quite beautiful.

I thank you.

I didn't say "East Tennessee", I said Knoxville.  Unless you mean some other Knoxville of 1200 souls located in the boondocks instead of an urban shithole of 250,000, then the surrounding countryside really doesn't matter that much.

BigDeal

Quote from: Hawgon on November 09, 2008, 06:04:00 pm
I didn't say "East Tennessee", I said Knoxville.  Unless you mean some other Knoxville of 1200 souls located in the boondocks instead of an urban craphole of 250,000, then the surrounding countryside really doesn't matter that much.

Knoxville = Fayetteville

I thank you.

Hawgon

Quote from: BigDeal on November 09, 2008, 06:06:35 pm
Knoxville = Fayetteville

I thank you.

Uh, not really. 

You are decidely unwelcome.

Table Rocker

El Puerco

East TN HAWG

Fayetteville is a much nicer place to live than Knoxville.

Maverick Razorback

IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

The Hog

Knoxville is not Fayetteville but the area around Knoxville is fantastic.  Great fishing, hunting and the Smokies just 30 - 45 minutes away.
Automatic RUN!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BigDeal on November 09, 2008, 05:47:57 pm
I'm glad we didn't get Davis and I think Tennessee can do much better than that too.

I thank you.

...says the guy who wishes his hero nutty was still here.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

vol_in_ar

Quote from: El Puerco on November 09, 2008, 05:55:08 pm
Is this really the year for TN fans to talk smack?

not really, but I couldn't resist

El Puerco

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 09, 2008, 06:58:19 pm
not really, but I couldn't resist

...and to think I was hoping you guys would pull a good coach.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 09, 2008, 06:20:48 pm
Fayetteville is a much nicer place to live than Knoxville.

you must be in east knoxville

SquidBilly

I heard down here in Atlanta that Davis said he didn't want the TN job days ago around the same time Cutcliffe said he didn't want it either.  Davis has a good thing at UNC.  A lot of big money floating around, a weak conference, and he has already started building recruiting classes like they've never had at UNC before.  He can build a powerhouse that dominates the ACC and retire there when he's ready.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: ATLpiggie on November 09, 2008, 07:05:55 pm
I heard down here in Atlanta that Davis said he didn't want the TN job days ago around the same time Cutcliffe said he didn't want it either.  Davis has a good thing at UNC.  A lot of big money floating around, a weak conference, and he has already started building recruiting classes like they've never had at UNC before.  He can build a powerhouse that dominates the ACC and retire there when he's ready.

your exactly right
TN's not getting Davis

CPL HOG

I would be very surprised if he went to Tennessee.  I hope he stays at UNC.

Calling All Hogs

The only coach I know for sure that can come in and build a NC in 2-3 years just about anywhere is Saban and that is not based on his coaching ability (Saban was impressed with Nutt's coaching) but rather his uncanny ability to impress high school seniors.

Interestingly, the article says Davis is TN's top choice, not that Davis has any interest.

The Hog

There seems to be two number ones.  One for a selection of a college coach which is Butch Davis and one for a pro coach which is Jon Gruden.  It will be a extremely tall order to land either of these coaches.  If they get either, Tennessee has more clout than I thought.
Automatic RUN!

edt

I think Tenn. will end up with Kiffin or Brian Kelly. Not their first choices, but either will be better than Fulmer.