Started by Hoggy Bear, November 06, 2008, 09:55:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ntubjr

I do not blame the LSU coach. Doubt his offer from Hogs is still there

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

longtimeHogfan

I admire LSU's response, but you have to wonder just how a reputation for 'pulling' scholarships will be received among high school recruits.  As mentioned above, some schools could get away with it....but LSU?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

DoggtownHog

How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 07, 2008, 08:03:56 am
     I admire LSU's response, but you have to wonder just how a reputation for 'pulling' scholarships will be received among high school recruits.  As mentioned above, some schools could get away with it....but LSU?

It's called having a new coach that won't put up with any BS from current players or committed prospects. Something that has been lacking with LSU's BB program for a long time.

Trent Johnson is the best thing to happen to LSU's basketball program in a very long time. He has a mess to clean up and it will take a little time, but he is going to be a winner.

Kilgor

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 10, 2008, 10:17:22 pm
It's called having a new coach that won't put up with any BS from current players or committed prospects. Something that has been lacking with LSU's BB program for a long time.

Trent Johnson is the best thing to happen to LSU's basketball program in a very long time. He has a mess to clean up and it will take a little time, but he is going to be a winner.

Pulling a scholarship offer from a good player because he visited another school won't get LSU there.  If you choose to shrink your recruiting pool to players that won't go on multiple visits, then you are limiting yourself to Louisiana players and those out of state players that are excited just to have any offer at all.

Good luck with that.  One final four several years ago doesn't give you the ability to be that picky.

Kilgor

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 11, 2008, 07:54:07 am
The kid is the one with no class. He's committed yet does not tell the coach he is committed to that he's going to visit OSU ? Some commitment huh ?  Cut him loose. I hope the Hogs don't try and recruit a kid like that.

Sometimes you have to eat a little darn on the way up the ranks.  When LSU has actually done something in college basketball, then they will be able to be more choosy.  Until then this is a recipe for staying where they are.

Kilgor

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 11, 2008, 07:54:07 am
The kid is the one with no class.

By the way, I never mentioned anyone having or lacking class.  ???  I'm saying that it's a dumb policy for LSU's coach at this time.

Stan Heath was a classy guy...

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Kilgor on November 11, 2008, 07:17:13 am
Pulling a scholarship offer from a good player because he visited another school won't get LSU there.  If you choose to shrink your recruiting pool to players that won't go on multiple visits, then you are limiting yourself to Louisiana players and those out of state players that are excited just to have any offer at all.

Good luck with that.  One final four several years ago doesn't give you the ability to be that picky.

You obviously know nothing about the situation. You also know nothing about keeping your word and charachter. Reese told Johnson staight to his face that he was not in contact with LSU's former asst. coach Butch Pierre.

LSU and Pierre had a written agreement that after he was not re-hired that he would have no contact with any LSU player or prospect. All players and prospects were told to have no contact with Pierre and if Pierre had contact with them to report it immediately.

When Johnson was told that Reese was planning to take a trip to OSU and Pierre, Johnson asked Reese about it and Reese lied to him.

Now...............................Do you think it is a good thing for a new coach to keep prospects and players that display poor charachter that will lie to their new coach?

Regardless of talent, LSU does not need a player that has that poor of character. Period.

pitbull1

Use to be when a kid made a commitment to a school, you almost count on the kid coming to that school.  That is not the case now.  Yes there are instances that some kids should change schools, but I think a kid needs to keep his word or not do anything till NSD.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Kilgor on November 11, 2008, 08:50:12 am
Sometimes you have to eat a little crap on the way up the ranks.  When LSU has actually done something in college basketball, then they will be able to be more choosy.  Until then this is a recipe for staying where they are.

This is one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read on this board.

One of the most common themes of posts that I have read on this board since the spring, is how Petrino is bringing accountablity to the players and prospects he recruits. That he doesn't put up with crap from the players like your former coach did.

So............why is it ok for Arkansas' new football coach to have a get tough policy and demand high standards from his players and prospects, but it is not ok for LSU's new basketball coach to expect the same of his players and prospects?

sivad53

tammany, you should have written that article.  In the article there was no mention of him lying or any of the other stuff, so its hard to know the whole story.  I agree with you if a kid lies to a coach about visits, scholarship pulled no doubt.  What else is he going to lie about in the future?

Kilgor

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 11, 2008, 11:25:19 am
You obviously know nothing about the situation. You also know nothing about keeping your word and charachter.

WTH? ???  You don't know me you little [CENSORED]. 

I didn't know the background on it.  From what I read, LSU pulled the offer because he visited OSU.  I opined that LSU SUCKS BALLS as a basketball school and couldn't just pull every offer from kids that visit other schools if it wants to win.  Knowing the background, I would have pulled it too.

Kilgor

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 11, 2008, 11:43:24 am
This is one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read on this board.

One of the most common themes of posts that I have read on this board since the spring, is how Petrino is bringing accountablity to the players and prospects he recruits. That he doesn't put up with crap from the players like your former coach did.

So............why is it ok for Arkansas' new football coach to have a get tough policy and demand high standards from his players and prospects, but it is not ok for LSU's new basketball coach to expect the same of his players and prospects?

Again, I was saying the LSU can't be the clingy girlfriend that goes apeshit when a recruit looks at another girl.  LSU is too darned ugly for that.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Kilgor on November 11, 2008, 02:19:01 pm
Again, I was saying the LSU can't be the clingy girlfriend that goes apecrap when a recruit looks at another girl.  LSU is too darned ugly for that.

Quote from: Kilgor on November 11, 2008, 02:16:10 pm
WTH? ???  You don't know me you little ****. 

I didn't know the background on it.  From what I read, LSU pulled the offer because he visited OSU.  I opined that LSU SUCKS BALLS as a basketball school and couldn't just pull every offer from kids that visit other schools if it wants to win.  Knowing the background, I would have pulled it too.

You are cracking me up today Kilgor.

You didn't have to know all the background to know that if a recruit visits another school after he is committed to another that there could be a problem. Some coaches don't care, others do. It all depends on the communication and agreement between the coach and player.

You guys just act like LSU sucks so bad that we can't have standards and hold players and recruits up to certain standards.

Look.............Arkansas hasn't really set the college basketball world on fire of late. It's been 13 years and counting since you could even win the little ole SEC West. I mean, come on, the SEC West is not exactly a basketball powerhouse division and counting this year it will be 14 years since you last won it. So don't act like your program is all high and mighty currently, because it's not. You had a great run in the early to mid 90's and have floundered around since.

Kilgor

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 11, 2008, 02:40:09 pm
You are cracking me up today Kilgor.

You didn't have to know all the background to know that if a recruit visits another school after he is committed to another that there could be a problem. Some coaches don't care, others do. It all depends on the communication and agreement between the coach and player.

You guys just act like LSU sucks so bad that we can't have standards and hold players and recruits up to certain standards.

Look.............Arkansas hasn't really set the college basketball world on fire of late. It's been 13 years and counting since you could even win the little ole SEC West. I mean, come on, the SEC West is not exactly a basketball powerhouse division and counting this year it will be 14 years since you last won it. So don't act like your program is all high and mighty currently, because it's not. You had a great run in the early to mid 90's and have floundered around since.

Our body of work puts us in the top 20 basketball universities in the country.  LSU's... doesn't.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Kilgor on November 11, 2008, 03:01:00 pm
Our body of work puts us in the top 20 basketball universities in the country.  LSU's... doesn't.

Kilgor,

We live in a what have you done for me lately world.

Fourteen years is an eternity to an 18 year old recruit.

My point is:

You guys praise your new Football coach for laying down the law to his players and to recruits. He expects them to live up to certain standards and doesn't take any crap. Your football program has not really set the world on fire the last 25 years or so. However, in order to build a winning program, the coach, regardless of prior performance of the program has to lay the law down and expect higher standards than what was allowed in a previous regime.

The same goes for LSU and our basketball program. It has not really set the world on fire the last 25 years or so. However, in order for our new coach to acheive a higher level of success than his predecessor, he must expect higher standards from his players and prospects.

You don't build a successful program by allowing players to run the program regardless of how talented they are. You demand accountability and demand higher expectations of everyone involved with the program. If a player of outstanding talent gets run off, then so be it. In the long-term the program will be far better off for demanding high standards and expectations.

BirmingHam

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 11, 2008, 11:43:24 am

Because this is an Arkansas Razorbacks board and we set the rules for how we look at the situations.  You're a LSU fan, therefore you lose.

Where is that sarcasm icon?

Kilgor

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 11, 2008, 08:49:56 pm
Because this is an Arkansas Razorbacks board and we set the rules for how we look at the situations.  You're a LSU fan, therefore you lose.

That's what I'm talking about!

Kilgor

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 11, 2008, 05:47:25 pm
Kilgor,

We live in a what have you done for me lately world.

Fourteen years is an eternity to an 18 year old recruit.

My point is:

You guys praise your new Football coach for laying down the law to his players and to recruits. He expects them to live up to certain standards and doesn't take any crap. Your football program has not really set the world on fire the last 25 years or so. However, in order to build a winning program, the coach, regardless of prior performance of the program has to lay the law down and expect higher standards than what was allowed in a previous regime.

The same goes for LSU and our basketball program. It has not really set the world on fire the last 25 years or so. However, in order for our new coach to acheive a higher level of success than his predecessor, he must expect higher standards from his players and prospects.

You don't build a successful program by allowing players to run the program regardless of how talented they are. You demand accountability and demand higher expectations of everyone involved with the program. If a player of outstanding talent gets run off, then so be it. In the long-term the program will be far better off for demanding high standards and expectations.

Your thesis sounds all well and good, but if it were entirely true Vandy would have multiple FB and BB national championships and Miami (FB) and Memphis (BB) would have none.  Oh wait, Memphis doesn't have a national championship!!!   8)  I hate Memphis basketball too!

I already agreed that I would have pulled the offer from a kid that lies to the coach like that.

You will have to take some punk assed kids on talent alone and hope to make them better men.  LSU doesn't have the luxury of being so picky.  If you try to, I predict that your BB program goes nowhere.  Of course this probably wouldn't bother a huge portion of your fan base as they will be focusing on Les Miles' ever increasing levels of dumbassery in the coming years.

villagehawg7

Tammany,
Please excuse the resident fifth-graders on this board. You're always welcome here.