Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USC disaster

Started by LilRockCentral#21, September 06, 2005, 01:19:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LilRockCentral#21

I like to believe that I'm a very optomistic person. However, I cant help but to feel like we're driving 100 mph into a brick wall. Is there anything positve that can come from this game. I have confidence in our running game but I'm not sure we can rush for 500 yds against this defense and our defense gave up 17 points to SMS. Realistically, can we expect anything but complete embarrasment. I would love to think we would win this game, but its tough. We gave up a 80+ yd td run this past weekend. How many 80+yd td runs can we expect from Reggie Bush? How damaging can a blow out on national tv be to the confidence of this young squad? Just wondering if Im the only person thats concerned about this.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: LilRockCentral#21 on September 06, 2005, 01:19:34 pm
I like to believe that I'm a very optomistic person. However, I cant help but to feel like we're driving 100 mph into a brick wall. Is there anything positve that can come from this game. I have confidence in our running game but I'm not sure we can rush for 500 yds against this defense and our defense gave up 17 points to SMS. Realistically, can we expect anything but complete embarrasment. I would love to think we would win this game, but its tough. We gave up a 80+ yd td run this past weekend. How many 80+yd td runs can we expect from Reggie Bush? How damaging can a blow out on national tv be to the confidence of this young squad? Just wondering if Im the only person thats concerned about this.

Windy is the only guy I know who should be concerned about it.  He will owe me dinner after the Pig roast on the coast.

HighOnHogs

The more I think about this game the more I think we could come out looking just as bad as Hawaii.

PAHog

I think it's all in the mindset of the team.  If we go in there thinking we can beat them, we got a good chance.  If we go in there thinking it will take a miracle, and we don't get one, then it will be a blowout.  They have to play the game, and anything can happen.  Look at what Stanford did to them towards the beginning of the season last year.  I have to think that we are better than Stanford was last year, and USC has less experience on defense.  Why not?
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

Dr. Leonard Ford

Sad thing is, I don't think we are running 100 mph yet. 

Biggus Piggus

Hawaii trailed 21-3 at half.  They wilted against USC's halftime adjustments.  Man do they have skill position players.

One good thing, the Trojans had only three sacks.  They averaged five a game the past two years.
[CENSORED]!

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 01:57:27 pm
They wilted against USC's halftime adjustments. Man do they have skill position players.

Their coaching staff is as talanted as their position players / athletes.

SultanofSwine

We win by two on a 45 yard field goal. ;D

The new and improved crack, you should try it. ;)

ReturnToDynasty?

We need to be thinking about Vanderbilt.  Save this post for next week about this time.

HogHeathen

100 mph will feel like getting hit with a warm twinkie compared to what USC will do to us!!  :'(

Inigo Montoya

I say we just buy the USC team dinner the night before at La Huerta or Jose's.  That should slow them.  I'm taking it one game at a time.  But right now we are 1-0.  GO HOGS!!! 

VoR

How many here put money on TCU last week, other then New Englanders how many put money on the Red Sox vs Cards last year, you don't play games on paper, if HDN can come up with a game plan like the 1 he came up with 2 years ago against TexAss  then we have a good shot, personally I am tired of looking past Vandy to see USC, let us take care of business 1st then come Sunday morn we can worry about USC.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Hawgbrew

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 06, 2005, 01:59:43 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 01:57:27 pm
They wilted against USC's halftime adjustments. Man do they have skill position players.
Their coaching staff was as talented.  They lost Chow and Orgeron.  And Hawaii is not a very good team.  Beleive it or not we have a chance.  I personally dont think we will win but i dont see us getting blown out. 

Their coaching staff is as talanted as their position players / athletes.

Bacons Rebellion

Man, I remember myself moaning EXACTLY LIKE THIS last time we played Southern Cal. I couldn't believe my Dad got tickets to THAT game instead of one we had a chance of winning. But I went anyway. Learned my lesson, I did.

Biggus Piggus

We beat 'em twice at home.  Two out of three.  Lost the road game.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: the_birdman on September 06, 2005, 02:11:04 pm
How many here put money on TCU last week, other then New Englanders how many put money on the Red Sox vs Cards last year, you don't play games on paper, if HDN can come up with a game plan like the 1 he came up with 2 years ago against TexAss then we have a good shot, personally I am tired of looking past Vandy to see USC, let us take care of business 1st then come Sunday morn we can worry about USC.

I'll be impressed if Nutt attempts a game plan that if executed perfectly would give us a chance to win.  Risky.  Blowout risky.  If they devote enough time to trying to beat USC on the road, I'll be very impressed with their ambition.  We get em at home next year; bet we angle for that one instead.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

You know whats really scary the HOGS may be the best team USC plays all years.  MAybe Az St.  Cal got their QBS leg broken in a meaningless game. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Feralhog

September 06, 2005, 02:49:54 pm #17 Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 02:52:53 pm by Feralhog
 They give away some tendencies in their formations and one of the keys to stopping a team like USC is to jump on their tendencies.  If we have some success there, then the next goal is escaping the knockout blow when they make their adjustments. 

When lining up in multiples, USC tends to stretch the field vertically but seldom go there.   It's usually some kind of a quick hitter to a back or a WR darting across.  When they line up in multiples,  we don't nickel and dime them, we challenge the WR's with press coverage while dropping the LB's.  When they come short across the middle, our LB's need to be lying in wait and it's vital that we hit 'em hard and make 'em pay .  Hopefully we can take them out of rhythm a bit and survive  the adjustment.   It'd be nice if we could get  their receivers to grow some gator arms.   

When SC lines up in the "I", we go two deep and run blitz the frik out of 'em.   If we can make some things happen early on defense, rattle some doubts  into this greased groove USC call's a friken offense, who knows
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

LilRockCentral#21

Dont try to make it seem like Im looking over vandi. I'm just as concerned with the Vandi game. I have no choice but to belive that they're a helluva lot better than SMS, but you must admit, USC is the biggest game of the year and has the power to make or break this season. Not saying we have to win this game to have a good year but to go out there looking like we don't belong on the field with those guys will not help this teams moral(or the fans for that matter).  A loss to Vandi could be just as devastating though I think we'll take care of business come Saturday. Also, I believe that a convincing win this saturday gives us a better shot at USC.

El Dog Hog

Heres the thing you have to realize. USC hasnt played anyone in there 2 year reign that has ran the football with any type of success against them. Those pac 10 teams are throw it around teams and so was blOwU. Nobody has just hit them in the mouth really. Even when they played Auburn they had some kind of west coast thing going on themselves. We are going to have to play a perfect game and have everything going our way. No one has lined up with 2 TE's or a FB and just rammed the ball down their throat. Thats what its going to take, keep their O off the field and wear down their D. This is the way the coaches are going to look at it, b/c thats the style of ball they play. Wouldnt it be great if it happened to script.

WILL CLINTON

If I would have had someone to place my money with, I would have bet the house on TCU ATS.  They were 2-0 ATS, and I posted the same last week on here.  I also posted that Michigan would cover and go over the total, so I was wrong on that one.  I did predict the Vandy cover, and the Georgia Tech cover, and the Clemson Win.  I just need a place to lay my money down. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Jerry Swinefeld

Anything can happen.

In '92 we lost to The Citadel at home, and beat #4 Tennessee on the road.

Go figure....

Whataboar™

Talent-wise, USC should bury us.
Throw emotion and the chance they might take us lightly ... well, you just never know.
That's about as much optimism as I can dredge up, folks.
Vandy first, though. GO HOGS!
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Biggus Piggus

You're right, Hoop, I took that straight from Hogville, and that first one was California.  Durrr.
[CENSORED]!

toshortrock

well one more time,i'm putting 500 on USC this year,,and 500 on Arkansas next year,,yep,,its be that way sometimes
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

SultanofSwine

How HDN feels is my biggest concern. If he looks at this game like he would texass then I think we play up in a big way. My fear however is that he looks at this game as an unconquerable behemoth and plays scared, in which case drying cats in the microwave may be mild to the treatment we receive.

Thehammer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 02:30:03 pm
We beat 'em twice at home. Two out of three. Lost the road game.

We lost twice out of three times to USC.  31-10 at LR in '72 and 17-0 at LA in '73.  In '74, we dominated USC, other than an Anthony Davis kickoff return for a touchdown 22-7 again in LR.   Dennis Winston, Ike Forte, Barnabas White and Mark Miller all had a good night in that game.  The Trojans had Pat Haden at qb, J.K. Mckay and Lynn Swann at wide receivers and Davis at tailback.   Just because the '73 season started, starter Scott Bull went down with a season ending knee injury in fall practice.  The Razorbacks were forced to go with young freshman Mike Kirkland who had only had a few reps at qb during practice.

Thehammer

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on September 06, 2005, 05:31:41 pm
Quote from: LilRockCentral#21 on September 06, 2005, 01:19:34 pm

STOP THE B.S. about being young. We've been young for the last 7 YEARS!

You're right.  That "young" excuse has really worn thin.   It comes in just a little behind (but not much) to that darn old "NCAA investigation" thing.   We've had the same coach in place for a tad past seven seasons and we're talking about being concerned about beating Vanderbilt!!!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Thehammer on September 06, 2005, 05:43:28 pm
[
We lost twice out of three times to USC. 31-10 at LR in '72 and 17-0 at LA in '73.

I believe we were slightly favored to win in 72 with Ferguson at quarterback. He got a broken face mask and a broken nose in the first half, as I recall. And everthing kind of deteriorated from there.

That 73 game I remember on TV with a KATV crew. We used a contorted wishbone variation with a wingback in motion every play JFB called the "hambone" and didn't do squat.

Thehammer

Quote from: El Dog Hog on September 06, 2005, 03:46:46 pm
Heres the thing you have to realize. USC hasnt played anyone in there 2 year reign that has ran the football with any type of success against them. Those pac 10 teams are throw it around teams and so was blOwU. Nobody has just hit them in the mouth really. Even when they played Auburn they had some kind of west coast thing going on themselves. We are going to have to play a perfect game and have everything going our way. No one has lined up with 2 TE's or a FB and just rammed the ball down their throat. Thats what its going to take, keep their O off the field and wear down their D. This is the way the coaches are going to look at it, b/c thats the style of ball they play. Wouldnt it be great if it happened to script.

They played Auburn year before last.    And that was with Cadillac And Ronnie Brown. 

Flatfoot

I'll take USC and -27 1/2 against the HOGS!  Any takers?
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Thehammer

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 06, 2005, 06:02:13 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on September 06, 2005, 05:43:28 pm
[
We lost twice out of three times to USC. 31-10 at LR in '72 and 17-0 at LA in '73.

I believe we were slightly favored to win in 72 with Ferguson at quarterback. He got a broken face mask and a broken nose in the first half, as I recall. And everthing kind of deteriorated from there.

That 73 game I remember on TV with a KATV crew. We used a contorted wishbone variation with a wingback in motion every play JFB called the "hambone" and didn't do squat.

I don't know about the "facemask" thing.   I was at the ballgame and watched Sam Cunningham just dominate our defensive line.    We were favored by SI to win the NC that year so we were probably picked to beat USC.  We had a young fullback named Marsh White, ala Roosevelt Leaks who never provided us with an inside running game that we expected.   In disgust, Broyles switched to hb/fb Mike Saint at the fullback position.   We recovered a fumble inside USC's five yard line and only came up with a FG early in the second quarter.   I knew then we were in for a long night.

By the time Ferguson tried to really crank up and throw, we were down 14-3 with no running game and USC was pinning their ears back and coming after him. 

The lack of an inside presence haunted us all year.  We finished 6-5.

Oklahawg

USC did pretty decent against a good RB in Adrian Peterson last year in the NC game.

HDN can't use the 18th century European military strategy of lining up in the meadow and marching at the enemy, head on. He needs to use a guerilla-style offense and a punishing, aggressive defense. Zig when they think you'll zag.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Blyboy205

I'm not giving up full hope on us yet b/c ive seen many of times where the underdog goes in and gives the favorite a good whoopin. I think USC is gonna take us for granted and i wouldnt be surprised if we "sneak" up on them real quick.

Best case scenario though would be Hillis getting about 250 yrds rushing and Monk with 200 yrds receiving kicking the crap out of USC at home *oh how i dream :o *
HAWGS ALL THE WAYYYYY!!!!!!