Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watched a lot of football

Started by abq, September 06, 2005, 12:24:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

abq

Watched a lot of football this weekend and loved every minute of it. Brief thoughts on some of the games.

Utah vs. Arizona: Good game. Utah got some home-cooking with the new play review system. Apparently the system can still be abused. Anyway, Stoops has zona looking a great deal better than they have been. I'm thinking Utah walks with the MWC trophy again.

Oregon vs. Houston: This game would have probably been more fun to watch than South Carolina/UCF, but curiosity about Spurrier's return kept me away except for commercial breaks. Saw some first game mistakes on Oregon's part that I'm sure will be ironed out. They better get some semblance of a defense before conference play.

Boise State vs. Georgia: BSU made Georgia look very good. Now if BSU will play an SEC schedule maybe someone will take their bitching about the BCS seriously. Unfortunately most of their games would end up just like this one. If this team returns to the Top 25 this season we'll have yet more proof the voting system is BS..............without the U.

Ole Miss vs. Memphis: Maybe it was because I had watched college football for 5 straight days but this game was a yawner. Nice to see Deangelo get shut down. However, two solid C-USA teams............oh wait.  8)

OU vs TCU: I enjoyed every minute of this game.  ;D  TCU could be the only challenge to Utah in the MWC.

New Mexico vs. UNLV: Once again Dodd (UNM offensive coordinator) goes conservative too early. Fortunately it was just UNLV, instead of last years opener Washington State where the Lobos threw away a 17-7 lead in the 4th quarter. Oh well, the Lobos will be the Lobos.

Oklahoma State vs. Montana State: Well, Montana State is usually ranked pretty high in the 1-AA standings.............. :D I understand OSU started the game intentionally with 10 players to honor the memory of a fellow player. Didn't see this one on TV, just thought it was worth commenting about.

Bowling Green vs. Wisconsin: Wisconsin is in big trouble in the Big 10 unless they find some defense. Fun game to watch on one TV while OU is going down in flames on another one. I still don't understand what happened in the last few seconds.

Notre Dame vs. PITT: Can a coaching change make a difference? Apparently. Of course PITT hasn't exactly been a powerhouse lately. Nice game to watch. Darius had a good day.

Louisville vs. Kentucky: Kentucky played like they were personally defending Ashley Judd's honor. Louisville started off strong the first half, then Brohm came out in the second and started sailing his passes. Still, the kid is a damn good QB and the Cardinals play in the Big East. BC or Connecticut could possibly give them trouble, but I'm guessing they'll get the automatic BCS bid. >:(

Virginia Tech vs. NC State: Is there a harder or dirtier hitting team in college football than VA Tech? NC State proved they still have a good defense and would most likely beat Boise State worse than Georgia did. They deserve to be ranked before the self-destruct later on.

South Carolina vs. UCF: Another coaching change causing improvement in a hapless team? UCF looked lots better than last year. Of course it's hard to say how they could have looked worse than last year. South Carolina looked decent at times but discipline in the fundamentals seems to be lacking. Another dismal year in the SEC for the Gamecocks unless there is dramatic change. Big and Rich..............I liked the rap song from last year a lot better.

That's it. Had the annual College football kickoff/BBQ cookoff/Neighborhood block party Saturday. Got a permit from the city to close the street. Ton of folks, ton of great food and beverage. Raised a ton of money for Katrina evacuees and just had a great time!

Biggus Piggus

I feel better about the Hogs' chances in the West after Saturday.  No, our QB situation still is big trouble, but the West is full of incomplete teams.  Georgia looks nasty though.
[CENSORED]!