Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of QB Union

Started by tulsahog36, September 06, 2005, 10:27:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tulsahog36

Robert Johnson was 12 off 22 for 88 yards, 2 fumbles snaps and 1 pick vs a sorry I-AA team.    If that is any indication of what Arkansas fans can look forward to this year, dont make any bowl plans.  The Hogs have a lot of playmakers on Offense, but without a decent QB the team is  going no where.   

Alex Mortenson should have played more vs Missour St.   I applaud Nutt for sticking with Johnson vs Missouri State and letting him get his reps, but good grief!!!  If that is what RJ does vs. Missouri State then Nutt needs to start thinking about other options at QB, and Mortenson should have been given a lot more opportunities.   

When is Mitch Mustain going to be eligable???????

Swino

It is a catch 22, pull your new QB with confidence problems early and hurt what development you have OR leave him in to see for himself that he isn't playing very well.  Given that it was such a lousy opponent, I think HDN made the right call. 

I don't think HDN did any favors by going conservitive after the INT.  I think that we saw HDN's confidence take a hit with that INT.

PAHog

You really think 7 can do better?  Based on what?  I majority of RJ's performance can be blammed on the receivers (at least 6 dropped balls that were dead on).  If those balls are caught, you're probably announcing RJ as the second coming.  Now if you're Wittke's neighbor and know something I don't, I will happily retract and listen.  Otherwise, please explain why you think Mortenson should be starting.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

GorillaJMonsoon

Compare RJs stats for his first start with Clint Stoerner's stats for his first start and you will see that RJ has a slight edge.  We should give RJ a chance to develop in game situations and see what he can do before we abandon him after one game.  What would have happened if we had done the same with Clint?

arkhogball

A lot of the people hating RJ are the same ones who were excited about his commitment a few years ago.  He was a good recruit out of high school, and I don't think people remember that.  I believe he is going to be a good QB, maybe not great, but sufficient enough to win games for us.  He is the best we have this season.

PAHog

Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

PigPusher

Quote from: tulsahog36 on September 06, 2005, 10:27:54 am
Robert Johnson was 12 off 22 for 88 yards, 2 fumbles snaps and 1 pick vs a sorry I-AA team. If that is any indication of what Arkansas fans can look forward to this year, dont make any bowl plans. The Hogs have a lot of playmakers on Offense, but without a decent QB the team is going no where.

Alex Mortenson should have played more vs Missour St. I applaud Nutt for sticking with Johnson vs Missouri State and letting him get his reps, but good grief!!! If that is what RJ does vs. Missouri State then Nutt needs to start thinking about other options at QB, and Mortenson should have been given a lot more opportunities.

I guess you are including in your tally the passes that were just dropped.   Should Robert get the blame for those?  Don't think so partner.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

DevilHog

I think 7 should play more. I applaud Nutt for sticking with 18.
That does not make any sense. RJ will get better as the year goes on, as will the rest of the team. Alex played and did not look like a starter to me. I'm not sure how people have the opinion that Alex should start based on what we have seen of him. It is a foolish assessment that anyone besides Johnson should start.

jhog

The backup QB is always the most popular player on the team until he get's into the game!

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: tulsahog36 on September 06, 2005, 10:27:54 am
Robert Johnson was 12 off 22 for 88 yards, 2 fumbles snaps and 1 pick vs a sorry I-AA team. If that is any indication of what Arkansas fans can look forward to this year, dont make any bowl plans. The Hogs have a lot of playmakers on Offense, but without a decent QB the team is going no where.

Alex Mortenson should have played more vs Missour St. I applaud Nutt for sticking with Johnson vs Missouri State and letting him get his reps, but good grief!!! If that is what RJ does vs. Missouri State then Nutt needs to start thinking about other options at QB, and Mortenson should have been given a lot more opportunities.

Calm down!  He didn't play perfectly.  For the most part he threw the ball well.  He had many drops, that would have increased his percentage.  No excuse for his interception, but it was only 1.  im confident in RoJo. 

jpool111

Mitch was 10 of 20 for 135 with a pick and a fumble against a high school team.  Mitch isn't ready for college yet.

mikeirwin

Quote from: jpool111 on September 06, 2005, 02:43:58 pm
Mitch was 10 of 20 for 135 with a pick and a fumble against a high school team. Mitch isn't ready for college yet.
Right.
Mitch blistered Evangel in the first quarter. After that Malzahn went more and more to the ground game. Mitch scored on a nice option keeper.
When a QB plays against a good defense like that he'll make mistakes. Anybody who watched that game and says Mitch is not ready for college is watching a different game than I am.
Why don't you ask the Evangel players if he's ready for college ? I wager you Mustain is the only QB ever to beat Evangel two years in a row. He ripped them apart (air and ground)  both times.

Macgyver_Hawg

The dropped passes in the first game reminds me so much of the 2002 season.  Matt Jones was dead on a lot of passes and they were dropped so we abandoned the pass.  It's what got us beat by Kentucky.  Peters and Pierce had easy touchdowns and couldn't make the easy catch.

hogsanity

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 06, 2005, 02:53:56 pm
Mitch was 10 of 20 for 135 with a pick and a fumble against a high school team. Mitch isn't ready for college yet.
Right.
Mitch blistered Evangel in the first quarter. After that Malzahn went more and more to the ground game. Mitch scored on a nice option keeper.
When a QB plays against a good defense like that he'll make mistakes. Anybody who watched that game and says Mitch is not ready for college is watching a different game than I am.
Why don't you ask the Evangel players if he's ready for college ? I wager you Mustain is the only QB ever to beat Evangel two years in a row. He ripped them apart (air and ground)  both times.

MM is ready for college, but no matter how ready he will still make mistakes the first few times he plays ( which may very well be next season )  ITs kind of like having kids.  No matter how ready you are, stuff happens you never thought of. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tulsahog36

I hope Robert Johnson improves, but it is a mistake not to get Alex more snaps and pass opportunities vs. a team like Missouri State.  How else is the coaching staff supposed to prepare Alex incase RJ gets hurt or they lose complete confidence in him??  And with a tough Vandy game this weekend, then back to back road trips to USC and Alabama, there is the possibility that RJ could hurt his leg or groin again and then we have to throw Alex out there without him getting some quality reps vs. Missouri State.   

tulsahog36

you are comparing robert johnson to BC??? Are you nuts??? RJ is good enough to carry BC's jock strap at this point!!!!

Brett Hitman Hog

No matter who the QB ends up being the problem already is the lack of attempts in the passing game this past weekend.  Honestly, I'm happy our running game went so well, but it was at the expense of the passing game.  RJ should have been able to throw the ball more to get any kinks out of his motion and to get a repoire with the WRs.  He missed the scrimmage and isn't in sync with his receiving corps.  Nothing with the passing game can be determined from Saturday.  Lets see what happens against Vandy.

TULAWHOG

Quote from: The Hitman on September 06, 2005, 03:26:23 pm
No matter who the QB ends up being the problem already is the lack of attempts in the passing game this past weekend.  Honestly, I'm happy our running game went so well, but it was at the expense of the passing game.  RJ should have been able to throw the ball more to get any kinks out of his motion and to get a repoire with the WRs.  He missed the scrimmage and isn't in sync with his receiving corps.  Nothing with the passing game can be determined from Saturday.  Lets see what happens against Vandy.
I agree Hitman, the biggest mistake HDN made was not getting RJ more passing reps in live action, while the adrenaline is flowing and a pass rush is coming.  Game speed is different from practice speed and RJ needs as many reps as possible before going to LA.

Tomhog™

Quote from: tulsahog36 on September 06, 2005, 03:15:30 pm
you are comparing robert johnson to BC??? Are you nuts??? RJ is good enough to carry BC's jock strap at this point!!!!

The only comparison being made is a season-ending injury.  Nothing was said about talents...

jpool111

My post wasn't intended as a dig on MM, I was just mirroring Tulsas post about RJ.  One game is not enough to say what we have sucks.       

Thehammer

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 06, 2005, 02:53:56 pm
Right.

Some people were saying Chirs Leake wasn't ready for college football as a freshman at Florida.  Same with Ainge and Schaefer at Tennesse,  freshman qb from Michigan (sorry, I don't remember his name) and Vincent Young at TX in 2002.  It's all baloney.  I've seen enough of MM to deem him ready to take the reins next year at UA.   I don't think for a moment that Nutt will do it, but I think he could.  The reason Mortenson doesn't look like a starter is because he hasn't been given the oportunity to practice as a starter.    For some reason, Nutt and his staff have stacked the deck against Alex going into spring practice. 

It's clear that HDN wants dig in his heels and make us accept RJ whether we like it or not.   Just like he tried to ram T. Jack, Ryan Sorohan and Robbie Hampton down our throats.   

Once again, it's a terrible blunder handling the qb position by Coach Nutt.   At some  point;  either later this season or during off season, Nutt will give RJ the bad news.   RJ will not be happy and might trasnfer.  But this is something that should've been addressed at the end of spring practice.

jpool111

Having attended alot of practices this summer, I can tell you that Alex was giiven more snaps with the first team than any of our QB's.  There is no deck stacked against  him he just simply can't through the ball worth a damn.  If he had casey dicks arm things might be different for him.

Thehammer

Quote from: jpool111 on September 06, 2005, 05:24:37 pm
Having attended alot of practices this summer, I can tell you that Alex was giiven more snaps with the first team than any of our QB's. There is no deck stacked against him he just simply can't through the ball worth a damn. If he had casey dicks arm things might be different for him.

Guess that explains why 19 other D-1 schools offered him scholies.    All in all, you know more than twenty other D-1 coaches and recruiters.   My hat's off to ya'.

jpool111

Who told you that?  I am pretty sure we were the only D1 offer he received.  I am talking about Alex not Mitch.  Please provide  a list if you know them that offered Alex.  If he received more than 2 i would be suprised. 

Biggus Piggus

Hogwired said:

He was also recruited by LSU, Alabama, Clemson, North Carolina State, North Carolina and Hawaii.

Who knows about offers.

From a Rivals story:

"When Alex committed to Arkansas, he had 19 offers from the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-10 and various others," Chris stated Saturday evening.

So I guess Chris Mortensen would be the source.
[CENSORED]!

Thehammer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 05:42:28 pm
Hogwired said:

He was also recruited by LSU, Alabama, Clemson, North Carolina State, North Carolina and Hawaii.

Who knows about offers.

From a Rivals story:

"When Alex committed to Arkansas, he had 19 offers from the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-10 and various others," Chris stated Saturday evening.

'Nuff said................

bigred7987

September 06, 2005, 06:30:58 pm #27 Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 06:33:17 pm by bigred7987
theres no way he had 19 offers unless the majority of those were d2 schools.  He was rated the #30 pro style QB his senior year.  There is an article on rivals where it is saying he is witholding who he was offers from...have no idea why he would do that.  There are 7 schools on rivals profile.  But i can't figure out why he would withold who he had offers from.  ???  I dont understand how he could have 19 offers unless schools thought a TV deal was coming because of his dad? #15 pro style doesnt get 15 offers...how does the #30????

jpool111

He may have had 19 letters from schools but he didn't have 19 offers.  I know for a fact that LSU had no interest in him and only sent him a letter because of his dad.  He witheld the list because there was not one.  Know i hope since he is a hog that he learns how to throw the football because he might be all we have.  But i don't think he will.  would you like another cup of the juice?

Thehammer

Quote from: jpool111 on September 06, 2005, 07:43:54 pm
He may have had 19 letters from schools but he didn't have 19 offers. I know for a fact that LSU had no interest in him and only sent him a letter because of his dad. He witheld the list because there was not one. Know i hope since he is a hog that he learns how to throw the football because he might be all we have. But i don't think he will. would you like another cup of the juice?

No.  Just a cup of reality.   If Chris Mortenson is lying, that must mean he has NO credibility.    Alex's dad said that he had nineteen other offers and I choose to believe a respected, nationwide ESPN announcer over Houston Nutt. 

Someone has NO credibility here and I think we all know who that is.....    The same guy who keeps preaching the balanced offense for the last five years. 

I'll give you a hint.   It wasn't me.

Biggus Piggus

Mortensen committed early in the fall.  Teams do not broadcast their offers especially that early.  The only good source here is Chris Mortensen, a real live ESPN reporter.  Sure, he's gonna lie about it.  Everybody in the business would know if he were lying.
[CENSORED]!

bigred7987

why does everyone on rivals show who they have offers from them if teams dont list them?

arkbengal

No offense guys, but anyone who believes Mustain is ready for D-1 SEC level ball needs a reality check. That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a top-notch D-1 QB at some point, but did you watch any of the games this weekend?
The QB's for OU, Miami, Florida State, and Auburn were all very highly regarded (including at least 3 #1's)  coming out of high school and you saw their performances against top level competition even with the benefit of a redshirt freshman year.
It takes time and real game experience.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: arkbengalIt takes time and real game experience.

Something that none (well RJ...barely) of our current QBs have.

It's impossible to predict whether Mustain will have an impact on the field next season, but you better believe he's going to get every oppurtunity to win that top spot.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jpool111 on September 06, 2005, 07:43:54 pm
He may have had 19 letters from schools but he didn't have 19 offers. I know for a fact that LSU had no interest in him and only sent him a letter because of his dad. He witheld the list because there was not one. Know i hope since he is a hog that he learns how to throw the football because he might be all we have. But i don't think he will. would you like another cup of the juice?

he was recruited by other 1A schools...   maybe not SEC Caliber.   BUt he is a D1 talented QB.

In fact  I believe that if MM wins the Starting job next year, that RJ will transfer  and AM will stay on as backup.

What scares me is that USC may knock the living you know what out of RJ in 2 weeks and we may be seeing a backup when we really didnt want too...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: arkbengal on September 07, 2005, 12:06:51 am
No offense guys, but anyone who believes Mustain is ready for D-1 SEC level ball needs a reality check. That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a top-notch D-1 QB at some point, but did you watch any of the games this weekend?
The QB's for OU, Miami, Florida State, and Auburn were all very highly regarded (including at least 3 #1's) coming out of high school and you saw their performances against top level competition even with the benefit of a redshirt freshman year.
It takes time and real game experience.

I think Mustain will have 1 game of experience before he plays USC.     Thats why you schedule cupcakes...

of course all of this is assuming the MM wins the starting job...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 05:42:28 pm
Hogwired said:

Who knows about offers.

From a Rivals story:

I guess Otis Kirk would be the reporter?

I'm told the kid did not get an offer from Hawaii, although Chris tried his damndest to get him one from June Jones. That's where he would have wanted to have picked up and moved to. So they're in NWA instead. None of the SEC schools offered, according to those SEC schools. This from a source that really does accurately follow other SEC schools and their offers, unlike some NWA based gurus.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

No, Trey Biddy was the reporter, quoting Mort.  I don't believe SEC schools would own up to having offered.  Alex M. committed in September, a time when a lot of offers are out.  I'm sure no SEC schools had any live offers to him by signing day.  They all deny having offered anybody they didn't get.
[CENSORED]!