Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did we win the game Saturday?

Started by TulsaHawg, September 05, 2005, 10:07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

I was there, and I thought I saw us hang nearly half a hundred on Mo State, and amass nearly 600 yards.

49 points was more than many prognosticators had predicted prior to the game!

We thought Reggie would provide a magical rennovation for the D, despite the fact that Reggie himself said not to expect a magical turn around. Yet our new D held the AA visitors to a couple of TD's and a FG due to some mistakes and busts. No I didn't expect our D to give up even that many points to Mo State, but it wasn't disasterous.

Did you expect that we would not see mistakes in the first start for our QB, or from a revamped D?

WE WON THE GAME 49-17!!!!!!

You can focus on the bad if you want, or you can focus on the good, or you can blend it all together.

If you have 6 ounces of water in a 12 ounce glass, is the glass half empty, or half full?  Well, both are accurate. It just depends on what you want to focus on. I am focusing on what we do have, the good things I did see, and what I think our potential is. It is much more pleasant than constatnly lamenting what went wrong. Address it, yes, but don't allow it to drag you under.

WilsonHog

September 05, 2005, 10:14:47 pm #1 Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 10:21:17 pm by WilsonHog
You're forgetting the primary function of message boards.

Entertainment.

Imagine for a minute that after every win only postive posts were allowed. That's it; no negative, just positive. If you listened closely after a few hours, you would hear crickets. Why? Because the board would be no fun. Dullsville.     

The misconception is that what you read on here actually represents something more than an activity designed to pass the time for a couple of hours a day. Look around at all of the fake names; the whole thing is an illusion. It's the internet version of professional wrestling. If I think I can get a good discussion going by taking a particular stance on a point, I'll do it. Do I "really" believe it in my "heart of hearts?"  Hell, I don't know. Who cares?

lunchbox72703

I love telling people they are wrong, and them telling me the same.  It makes the board fun!

Flatfoot

Different opinons make the board what it is.  If we all agreed on everything what would be the freakin point of even posting.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 05, 2005, 10:46:28 pm
I also appreciate the open opinions. I just wish some people wouldn't attack posters and question intelligence. Some on this board who are negative have absolutely NO respect for the half-fullers and flame them into a frenzy. You guys can name one or two off the top of your heads. If there are some half-fullers that do the same I don't know of them, but I'm sure they exist.

Every time we point out problems, a wide variety of posters characterize it as "whining, bitching and moaning."  That is also unfair.  One guy said people who are unhappy with the Hogs are delusional.  That's strange.  I though delusions were supposed to mislead me into believing things are better than they are. 
[CENSORED]!

PAHog

It was a close game going into the 4th Qtr against a 1AA opponent.  There's plenty of reason to be concerned.  People aren't complaining about the win, but how we won.  We basically out-depthed them.  We certainly didn't outplay them.  I have got to give them credit.  They played a good game.  It also doesn't help things win 60,000+ go silent for an entire game.  Hopefully it will be a little more raucous this Saturday for Vandy.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PAHog on September 06, 2005, 09:01:05 am
It also doesn't help things win 60,000+ go silent for an entire game. Hopefully it will be a little more raucous this Saturday for Vandy.

The caliber of opponent prompts the level of enthusiasm.  Listening to fans who never heard of message boards, I wonder what it will take to cleanse them of bitterness.  Lots of people are going to be hard to win back.  That's what it sounds like.
[CENSORED]!

artyhog

I do not know if it was a hangover from Katrina, a Division 1-AA team, or both, but the croud was very subdued.

I was very excited to get the season started. We called the Hogs before the team ran onto the field.  The Hog call did not happen again until the second half.  I was ready and will to Call Them Hogs. 

Inigo Montoya

GO HOGS!! Good win!  Still working out the kinks in the passing game.  I'm not to worried.  Kind of like when you buy a new pair of undies and your boyz don't quite feel at home.   ;D  That's what our passing game is like right now.  RJ will figure out what he is capable of and we'll start seeing less and less mistakes.  Running game is going to put up points regardless of who we play.  GO HOGS!!!

Feralhog

September 06, 2005, 09:44:23 am #9 Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:50:33 am by Feralhog
You know Tulsa, people who look for the good in everything are as unreasonable as those who ignore the good and look at the bad.  Yes we were effective running the ball and we amassed a ton of points, but we are an SEC team playing a 1 AA opponent!  Being jubilant about 600 yards of offense, most of it rushing, is kinda like a fat person celebrating victory over anorexia. 

I had a handful of questions I wanted answered Saturday.  And while the running game may have made your list, it wasn't among my list of concerns.  A couple of things may have been answered.  I thought we did a much better job tackling and I thought the secondary played fairly solid.  Finally,  Nutt held true to his promise of utilizing more than one and two receivers in the passing game. 

Unfortunately, there are still some important questions needing to be answered.  RJ the DE's, hell Herring's defense in general and special teams all remain unanswered.  I'm optimistic on RJ, not so much on the rest.  We'll know more Saturday.           
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Feralhog on September 06, 2005, 09:44:23 am
Being jubilant about 600 yards of offense, most of it rushing, is kinda like a fat person celebrating victory over anorexia. 

Your eloquence knocks me out.  I'm dying.
[CENSORED]!

TulsaHawg

September 06, 2005, 11:28:24 am #11 Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 11:31:12 am by TulsaHawg
Quote from: Feralhog on September 06, 2005, 09:44:23 am
You know Tulsa, people who look for the good in everything are as unreasonable as those who ignore the good and look at the bad.  Yes we were effective running the ball and we amassed a ton of points, but we are an SEC team playing a 1 AA opponent!  Being jubilant about 600 yards of offense, most of it rushing, is kinda like a fat person celebrating victory over anorexia. 

I had a handful of questions I wanted answered Saturday.  And while the running game may have made your list, it wasn't among my list of concerns.  A couple of things may have been answered.  I thought we did a much better job tackling and I thought the secondary played fairly solid.  Finally,  Nutt held true to his promise of utilizing more than one and two receivers in the passing game. 

Unfortunately, there are still some important questions needing to be answered.  RJ the DE's, hell Herring's defense in general and special teams all remain unanswered.  I'm optimistic on RJ, not so much on the rest.  We'll know more Saturday.           

Feral, I am not ignoring the bad. I got frustrated with some things that happened during the game too, but to take the point of view that RJ can't play QB because of the game Saturday is ludicrous.

To say the Special Teams will not be good this year is premature.

I still have questions about how some things will develop. I would like to see the TE's better utilized. I would like to see more receivers utilized. I would like to see better clock management. I would like to see more QB sacks by our D. I would like to see better containment by our DE's when they are rushing headlong into the backfield and allow the RB to sweep wide around them. I would like to see our kickoffs make it to the endzone on a consistnet basis. Personally, I thought last Saturday night would have been the perfect opportunity to work on the passing game. I too had little doubt about the running game.

With all that said, we still won the game 49-17. We scored more points than most prognosticators had guessed. We amassed nearly 600 yards on offense. We had an awesome display of our running back talent.

I for one, am not prepared to write off the players or the  season because of problems last Saturday night.

Oh and as far as gaining most of the yards on the ground, OU and Nebraska used to do that on a regular basis while winning championships. Most of their fans weren't complaining about it. I don't car if it is done by air or gorund, as long as it is done. Do you?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: TulsaHawg on September 06, 2005, 11:28:24 am
Feral, I am not ignoring the bad. I got frustrated with some things that happened during the game too, but to take the point of view that RJ can't play QB because of the game Saturday is ludicrous.

Ludicrous is a strong word.  I'll trust my eyes over you.  My read is Johnson is the kind who is like Jason Campbell.  He might be good as a senior.  Till then he won't be.  Go ahead, feel free to hold out hope for him.  I won't ridicule you.  I don't base my view on the fact that against a D-IAA team he had 88 yards passing on 22 throws.  I watched him as closely as I could and saw all the wrong things.  Just my read on it.  No great authority in it.  Either he's got a problem, or he is being mishandled.

QuoteTo say the Special Teams will not be good this year is premature.

People very close to the program say the placekicking is going to fail us.  The rest of the special teams, there's hope for.
[CENSORED]!