Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ROBERT JOHNSON WILL BE THE MAN...........

Started by uofajoe99, September 05, 2005, 04:05:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

uofajoe99

ROJO will come around. Its been one game ladies and gents...Calm down.....Was I up going to the bathroom every time he threw an interception or completely missed receivers? He had some crisp passes and we actually threw for a first down or two. There is absolutely no way you guys can bring this much gloom and doom, on the QB position after one showing. Lets relax and let ROJO go into the Vandy game and see what he can do. But I have the feeling if he does well at  Vandy it will be listed on here that "it was Vandy." ................

WE RAN FOR 480+ yards!!!!!!!!!!! I had a guy in my section (Outdoor Club 210) who complained the whole game about "Houston Nutt up the middle again..damnit....running on first down...blah..blah..yackety smakity......" How does playing football for Podunk High in 1950, 65, 72, 88 or any year qualify the Nutt haters out there to CONSTANTLY criticize Nutt for his play calling. The guy in my section continued to gripe about the run plays as we amassed a rushing total that is in the TOP TEN of Razorback history. It comes down to wins for me. I don't care if we run HB off-tackles and FB Dives all Saturday long till January as long as we win games.

Lets be glad we are 1-0. Yeah TCU is better competition than Zo State, but to Oklahoma they should have been on about the same level as Missou S. was to us. OU could have used our backs after AP went down. I like that we have plenty of backs developing, but I want to hold off expectations for the Freshman until I see them against other competition.

Overall it was a good opening weekend (my B-day is Sept. 4th so its always nice to get the football seasons as a present.)

Biggus Piggus

Nutt ran over and over on first downs because the passing game was so shaky.  Johnson missed a lot of August practices, and having the new starting QB out of half the August practices was not a good start.  No, that's not Nutt's fault, guys.  It was bad luck.

No, the spread between TCU (regular bowl team) and OU should not be as wide as the difference between Arkansas and Missouri State.  Not unless you are trying to insult Arkansas.
[CENSORED]!

PorcineSublime

OK, for once I will have to disagree with you. I would liked to have him do better first time out, but I will repeat myself again: If he is toast then we have no chance this year. AM is a deer in the headlights, and the others are a year away at least. RJ will do a passable job and that is all we can expect a this point. 6-5 is still reachable, anything less and I think this program needs a change at the top.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

JIHawg

I don't know how you can conclude that about Alex as little as he played.  On the pass to Monk, he stayed in the pocket, then, at just the right time, moved up in the pocket, great footwork, all the time looking for 2nd and 3rd options, and throws a perfect strike to Monk.  There's not near enough playing time to evaluate how good he is at this point, IMO.

Whataboar™

I'm not dismissing Johnson. It's too early, of course.
But as I strap on my Swami turban and gaze into the Crystal Hog, there's just something about Mort that tells me he might be the man before the season is over.
Hope I'm wrong and Johnson slams the door shut on anyone supplanting him at QB.
Until then, I'll be attempting to channel Lombardi and The Bear for further insights.  :o
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

arkhogdog61

i think johnson throws a better pass you guys are freakin out a little to soon rj will be fine.
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

AFWarrior83

I think with reps he will come around, Nutt should have let him pass more with that score! It was a waste of time to me rushing that much!
Hogville member since 2005.

bigred7987

Anyone that is questioning RJ...watch the FSU Miami game right now....neither of those teams QB's are doing well but they will lead their team to victory throughout the season.  Its the first game of the year people are looking to far into his stats.  look how many lil out routes we had.  Matt Jones play calling wasn't that limited in the passing game.  This game isn't a measuring stick for RJ...We didnt need him to put the team on his shoulders and take us to victory.it was a chance to be in a game for 4 quarters,.not 4 plays like last year. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: bigred7987 on September 05, 2005, 09:13:10 pm
Anyone that is questioning RJ...watch the FSU Miami game right now....neither of those teams QB's are doing well but they will lead their team to victory throughout the season. Its the first game of the year people are looking to far into his stats. look how many lil out routes we had. Matt Jones play calling wasn't that limited in the passing game. This game isn't a measuring stick for RJ...We didnt need him to put the team on his shoulders and take us to victory.it was a chance to be in a game for 4 quarters,.not 4 plays like last year.
Good grief. Those guys are facing some of the top defenders in college football. RJ was looking at a 1-AA team.

WilsonHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 05, 2005, 09:16:54 pm
Anyone that is questioning RJ...watch the FSU Miami game right now....neither of those teams QB's are doing well but they will lead their team to victory throughout the season. Its the first game of the year people are looking to far into his stats. look how many lil out routes we had. Matt Jones play calling wasn't that limited in the passing game. This game isn't a measuring stick for RJ...We didnt need him to put the team on his shoulders and take us to victory.it was a chance to be in a game for 4 quarters,.not 4 plays like last year.
Good grief. Those guys are facing some of the top defenders in college football. RJ was looking at a 1-AA team.

It's amazing how far we'll go to stretch a point sometimes.

bigred7987

are you going to say that about Rick Clausen and Erick Ainge too???
What about Rhett Bomar and Thompson from Oklahoma
What about Brodie Croyle against MTSU
The QB from South Carolina who squeaked out a win vs. UCF

AFWarrior83

UCF still gave up 330 yards passing for USC, I would like to see at least 200 pass againt Vandy, but I know we will RUN RUN RUN!
Hogville member since 2005.

bigred7987

UCF still came within a few yards of tying South Carolina too...
say South Carolina plz...they dont deserve the respect to be called USC  ;)

WilsonHog

Quote from: bigred7987 on September 05, 2005, 09:36:33 pm
are you going to say that about Rick Clausen and Erick Ainge too???
What about Rhett Bomar and Thompson from Oklahoma
What about Brodie Croyle against MTSU
The QB from South Carolina who squeaked out a win vs. UCF

Does this "first game of the season" thing apply to every quarterback who played this weekend, or just to the ones who suit your point?

Let's start with one Omar Jacobs of Bowling Green.  Guess he played a few NFL exhibition games.  Oops, my bad. He was only playing against a Big Ten team.  Gimme a couple of seconds and I'll go see what Chad Henne did for Michigan, or maybe DJ Shockley for Georgia.

Oklahawg

TCU and UAB are the closest to MSU, and they are still modestly successful D1 programs.

The best thing for RJ may have been Mort coming in and throwing a few great passes. RJ would either step up and perform or crator and give Mort the job.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigred7987

I believe I have stated that Shockley had a good game...Omar Jacobs is known as one of the best QB's in the land as is Chad Henne...we have no Chad Henne or Omar Jacobs....who all have experience.  We have a RS Sophomore who had never started a game.  OOOO I got an idea...lets go try and make him get 15-23 for 250 yards and no int's even when we are avg. 8 yds a carry on the ground...thats a good starting point isn't it????   Look fact is some people had good first weeks...Henne, Chris Leak, Shockley...and others had bad...Ainge, Clausen, South Carolina QB, Brodie Croyle was avg for a heralded senior, the two QB's from Oklahoma.  Hell Tyler Palko wasnt good vs. ND.  The same guy who threw for 5 TD's last year against ND I believe.  Look at it from the pessimistic view point if you want, but also realize that Arkansas isn't the only team that didn't have a QB come out and light it up first game....most teams didnt....so all of this panicking isn't really warranted yet. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 05, 2005, 09:26:50 pm
This game is all about building confidence. From an offensive standpoint RJ, the O-line, and our 3 headed backfield + DH got it. Riskier passes will come when we need them. Who can argue with running on first down when it is so effective anyway?

Bacon out...

Johnson built confidence?  He couldn't throw to a contested receiver!  This was supposed to be our chance to run the balanced offense!  Remember the talk about "we finally can run Nutt's offense?"  Only MJ was standing in the way of Nutt's offense?  BULL darn.  bull.  It was complete bull.
[CENSORED]!

Swino

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 06, 2005, 06:48:31 am
This game is all about building confidence. From an offensive standpoint RJ, the O-line, and our 3 headed backfield + DH got it. Riskier passes will come when we need them. Who can argue with running on first down when it is so effective anyway?

Bacon out...

Johnson built confidence? He couldn't throw to a contested receiver! This was supposed to be our chance to run the balanced offense! Remember the talk about "we finally can run Nutt's offense?" Only MJ was standing in the way of Nutt's offense? BULL Shiite. bovine hockey. It was complete bovine hockey.

Nutt fancies himself an innovative OC and sold hog fans on that point when he was hired.  Anybody care to dig up his quote in the paper when he was hired? 

Jim Harris

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 05, 2005, 09:16:54 pm

I hope you were laughing as you posted that. I know I was chortling reading the post that prompted your response. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Bacon out...

Johnson built confidence? He couldn't throw to a contested receiver! This was supposed to be our chance to run the balanced offense! Remember the talk about "we finally can run Nutt's offense?" Only MJ was standing in the way of Nutt's offense? BULL Shiite. bovine hockey. It was complete bovine hockey.

why do you think it is that our receivers can't get separation, outside of perhaps Monk?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Swino on September 06, 2005, 08:34:14 am

Bacon out...

Nutt fancies himself an innovative OC and sold hog fans on that point when he was hired. Anybody care to dig up his quote in the paper when he was hired?

not only is hie not an innovative OC, just a basic don't-beat-yourself conservative coach, but we should have been fearful of his offensive claims that defensive recruiting would seriously suffer, as it obviously has. This has to be one of the least talented defenses we've put on the field ever, in modern times. Even Hatfield's first, undersized team had linebackers and solid secondary/safety. Maybe the 1990 defense would have been the worst in any scheme it played, but no doubt the one it played was just awful. You wonder perhaps why Herring hasn't joined the rest of these defensive wizards who this past weekend showed 3-man fronts and most 3-8 looks (3-3-5, 3-4-4 etc.) We have no defensive ends, we're average at best at linebacker (average on an NCAA level, not an SEC level). Ole Miss is supposed to have recruited poorly, but doggone it he's got some defensive players and they played together and played well Monday.
It's nice to no that we probably won't give up any longer run this season than we allowed to Missouri State. But we could. Won't be long until we give up the deep ball, too.

Inigo Montoya

It's only 9:20 in the morning guys, you all are working on an early heart attack or an aneurysm.  GO HOGS!!!

Swino

Quote from: Inigo Montoya on September 06, 2005, 09:20:17 am
It's only 9:20 in the morning guys, you all are working on an early heart attack or an aneurysm. GO HOGS!!!

I'm not upset, this is nothing new.  HDN has been this way since we hired him.  It is the defenders of Nutt that I'm worried about having a heart attack.

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: Swino on September 06, 2005, 09:31:22 am
Quote from: Inigo Montoya on September 06, 2005, 09:20:17 am
It's only 9:20 in the morning guys, you all are working on an early heart attack or an aneurysm. GO HOGS!!!

I'm not upset, this is nothing new. HDN has been this way since we hired him. It is the defenders of Nutt that I'm worried about having a heart attack.

Hog quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates.  You never what you are going to get.  I'm just hoping our defense and depth in the running game we'll get us to a bowl game this year.

PAHog

I'm all for running the ball down someone's throat if it's actually working.  What's going to happen is we are going to see 8 & 9 man fronts and Nutt is going to spend the first 3-4 offensive series trying to establish the run with little-no success.  By the time we start passing we're down 2 TDs.  Why not open up the offense early?  Throw it downfield 2-3 times in the first half and loosen up the secondary, otherwise every DB we see for the rest of the year is going to squat on everything underneath.

As far as confidence goes, what does it do for RJ's if after he throws a pick on the only deep ball he threw all night, all Nutt calls are little outs and slants?  He's got the ability and the receivers, all Nutt needs to do is have a little faith and let 'em play.  All those who would rather see 7 out there, you are either racist or are one of those people who always think the backup can do better.  He's second team for a reason.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

bigred1

I don't care if we go to a full house backfield, as long as we win.  I had rather run the ball, down an opponents throat, than pass anyday.
ROJO might be the man, then again he might not.  Is the heir apparent on campus?  Who knows?

483 yards is nothing to sneeze at. 

Razorback Jedi

I'm waiting until I see the Hogs play against a legitimate team (Vandy) before I make any conclusions, good or bad, about the state of our football team for the rest of the year.

uofajoe99

RoJo adds that other "dimension"...?????????? Glad to see he didn't tuck and run as his first option, but the concept that  he can is there. As teams load the box then Rojo's arm and legs will help us. I guess we will always have a QB controversy if many people out there were saying that Matt should've been sit.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: drakehog on September 06, 2005, 09:13:00 am

Bacon out...

why do you think it is that our receivers can't get separation, outside of perhaps Monk?

I wish I knew.  They do not seem to lack athletic ability.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 06, 2005, 09:49:53 am
It's okay to disagree, I'll even respect you and not call your opinion bull****.

Now, that is a cheap, cheap shot.

The quote from my post above:

Remember the talk about "we finally can run Nutt's offense?" Only MJ was standing in the way of Nutt's offense? BULL Shiite. bovine hockey. It was complete bovine hockey.

Now, tell me.  Did I refer to your opinion?  No.  It was a reference to Nutt himself claiming the only thing that held back Nutt's offense was Matt Jones.  Now we know that was a bunch of crap.

I do have one question. Rojo seems to be like TJack in that neither of them can throw less than 100 mph. Was he able to soften up any of his passes this weekend?

Not that I could tell.  He hummed 'em.  First play, threw a swing pass over Hillis, with a little touch it's complete.  Went off his hands.  Catchable, yes, degree of difficulty, high.
[CENSORED]!

Tomhog™

What does eveyone expect out a first-ever collegiate start for a QB who saw very limited backup the previous year?  He will struggle a bit the first half of this season.  I don't think we did enough last year to perpare him for this year.  He should have been played more, but we had too many games where every play mattered as far as a win/loss.  He should do good enough saturday to pull a win.  Will likely have a lot of problems on first road game at USC.  But after that game, he should start settling into the groove and win some games...

Biggus Piggus

Bacon in frying pan...

Nutt was quoted directly as saying this in HI.
[CENSORED]!

bigred7987

QuoteAs far as confidence goes, what does it do for RJ's if after he throws a pick on the only deep ball he threw all night, all Nutt calls are little outs and slants?  He's got the ability and the receivers, all Nutt needs to do is have a little faith and let 'em play.  All those who would rather see 7 out there, you are either racist or are one of those people who always think the backup can do better.  He's second team for a reason.
None of us have any clue whether or not it gave him confidence however...from what i have seen it seems as though Mizzoo State switched coverage on that play and caught everyone off guard RJ didn't notice the switch in coverage and the route was covered..  When you go to the sideline your coach doesn't yell at you for making a pick when they switch coverage like that...I doubt taht INT did much to shake his confidence....RJ went out there started the game and his team won...quite frankly thats all he cares about....and thats all he should care about