Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is a test, ONLY a test for the "Smart" Hog Fans

Started by CorningHog, September 04, 2005, 11:47:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CorningHog

Well, I will say there were plenty of things to be disappointed in last night, but other than the 5 turnovers and the sloppy few times we had on defense, do you really thing that the FIRST game was actually an all out reflection of the type of defense and offense we will run most of the time this year.

I saw a whole different scheme, except for the off tackle running plays and the little curl route we ran for Monk.  Baker was out and we never tried to attack with the passing game, IMO.

Defensively, we did not pressure too much but the DE's seemed a little out of position.

HERE IS THE TEST:

Put down 2 players on offense you would go ahead and demote, either from 1st or 2nd teams.

Put down 2 players on defense as well.

HERE IS MINE:

D HOWARD, to 4th team, since I expect that is where he will end up sooner than later....love his attitude but he has not got the speed to hit the holes like Hillis, Jones & McFadden, and defenses will be much faster than Missouri St and we will need that speed.

Other than that, I thought the best players were on the field for offense.

Defense, Randy Kelly needs to sit.  Very poor effort from him.  I can see Clarke Moore moving back to 1st team, but I think you will need to get Fairchild ready to sub sooner and get more PT.  Nothing against Harrell, but I would think that we will see Bledsoe and Harrison back on 1st team tackles, with Jackson getting a lot of PT.  Wish I could have seen Cord Gray!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

_Collin1

I debated the whole D. Howard demotion myself.  I said it in the stands.  But a craft 70 year old reminded me of a stat last night.  As Felix, Darren and Peyton all hit the holes with FIRE and speed, they took hits and rattled off yards.  In the meantime, D howard kind of dances and never goes forward the first 3 quarters.  Reminded me of Cobbs sophomore year.

Anyways, I yell at D. howard, told him to take a seat and let the kids play.  Then the old cootie in front of me said, D. Howard has never fumbled.  IS THAT TRUE?  I think it is.  If Peyton coughs it up twice, a RB in that has NEVER coughed up the football becomes a little more important.  Which is the same reason we need Alex Mortenson in there.

This is the Ravens from their superbowl year.  They had Trent Dilfer in there why?  To not make mistakes.  Mort would make less mistakes than RoJo and THATS what we need this year, not a playmaker.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Coach V. Slocombe

I agree with you 100% on the defense.

However, on offense we need some changes. I thought that our offensive line did a good job overall. It's still a little early to see if Felix Jones can withstand the SEC. I am sure that he can, but it is still early. I do not believe that Hillis will have the fumble problems like he did against M.State. My only offensive move would be at QB. Robert Johnson is not very good. I think that Mortenson would make fewer mistakes and I believe that he would come around quicker than Johnson.
I don't put on the uniform to play the game, I put on the uniform to win the game.   Larry Bird
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.  Vince Lombardi

Michael11

2 on offense would be= Howard and probably David Thompson i love his work ethic but we have so many weapons we can use!

2 on Defense= Wow this is tough after one game= I am scared our d-ends are going to get bulled over would like to see sims at a linebacker amd Harrison and or Bledsoe back at ends. And i am not sure Materrial Richardson's name got called all night. They may notbe bad for a free afety but...
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

Fletch

Weston Dacus got demoted to 2nd team although I think it was more of Clarke Moore getting promoted.
I feel like $100

CorningHog

Yeah, the DE's were a concern because, even though I never played that position, it seemed that Sims more than A Brown was guessing a lot and either vacated his area and then the play developed where he was "at" before, or he turned inside and the play was just beyond him.  He never seemed to "see" where the ball was going.  I would have to concentrate only on the DE's and watch film, (Which I know Herring will be doing with his coaches and players so I will leave that to the experts) but I too worry that they may be undersized.  We will just have to wait and see.

David Thompson may be one that we can count on to block and run crisp routes, but Cedric Logan has to be on the field and I think our best "4" receivers would be Monk, Washington, Baker & Logan.  I hope we put some 4 receiver sets with Hillis or Jones, maybe even McFadden back there as the single back, or even start out in the single back and move Robert Johnson to a shotgun formation and then send our back in motion as a 5th wide receiver.  We have a lot of weapons on offense and if our OL can continue to open holes for these guys, look out!

The passing game will certainly be there soon enough.  Don't worry about it and don't worry about RoJo.

Cresthog

Did Washington even get any balls thrown his way? I saw him wide open across the middle atelast 3 or 4 times. Either Johnson never saw him or he likes throwing to Monk better.

CorningHog

I honestly did not really see many throws to Washington, but I know he caught one for a first down on 4th down and then I think dropped one.  So he got two.

Go to Hogwired.com and you can pull up every play from the game notes.

GO HOGS!

stuckpig

Quote from: BigC51 on September 05, 2005, 01:39:28 am
I debated the whole D. Howard demotion myself.  I said it in the stands.  But a craft 70 year old reminded me of a stat last night.  As Felix, Darren and Peyton all hit the holes with FIRE and speed, they took hits and rattled off yards.  In the meantime, D howard kind of dances and never goes forward the first 3 quarters.  Reminded me of Cobbs sophomore year.

Anyways, I yell at D. howard, told him to take a seat and let the kids play.  Then the old cootie in front of me said, D. Howard has never fumbled.  IS THAT TRUE?  I think it is.  If Peyton coughs it up twice, a RB in that has NEVER coughed up the football becomes a little more important.  Which is the same reason we need Alex Mortenson in there.

This is the Ravens from their superbowl year.  They had Trent Dilfer in there why?  To not make mistakes.  Mort would make less mistakes than RoJo and THATS what we need this year, not a playmaker.

Alex Mortenson made so many mistakes in practice that Nutt sped up the QB selection process and named Johnson the starter.
Did you see the Red/White scrimmage?...again...a plethora of mistakes by Mortenson.  RoJo is the guy this year.

arkhogdog61

i agree with the howard demotion yes he had over a 100 but it was late in the game against worn out 1st teamers and 2nd stringers, on defence i still don't know about cole he still gives me nightmares from last year.   GO HOGS
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: stuckpig on September 05, 2005, 01:27:59 pm
Quote from: BigC51 on September 05, 2005, 01:39:28 am

Alex Mortenson made so many mistakes in practice that Nutt sped up the QB selection process and named Johnson the starter.
Did you see the Red/White scrimmage?...again...a plethora of mistakes by Mortenson.  RoJo is the guy this year.
When he was in the game AM looked lost. He might get it if we let him play his way into it, but that is an option that we can't afford. RJ did not do anything that would get us beaten, outside of his first pass which could just have been first game jitters. I say we stay with what we know. JMO
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Cresthog on September 05, 2005, 12:09:18 pm
Did Washington even get any balls thrown his way? I saw him wide open across the middle atelast 3 or 4 times. Either Johnson never saw him or he likes throwing to Monk better.

He did.  The two I remember were poor throws.  He did not get enough separation, compared with what I was expecting from him.

Did you guys notice how much David Thompson played?  Designated blocker.  That just might make us a little easier to read.  Maybe.
[CENSORED]!

arkhogdog61

IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Oklahawg

Hillis to 2nd team, Howard to 4th. Jones earned the starting nod because he didn't fumble twice like Hillis. Or, Hillis and Jones on the field together more often.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice to see Winston in when we throw?

Moore gets moved up by default. He wasn't incredible, but played well and faster than I expected. Dacus was not a factor. Hard to figure out who comes in after Richardson at safety. Coe and Vinnett had decent games--we didn't see much of Grant, did we?

I can't wait for a game off-campus. Then, maybe we will leave before the kickers get on the bus. Lordy, there has to be someone on campus who can punt 40-yarders with great hangtime, someone to deep onside to the 30 (with no or little return) and can hit a 45-yard FG. I bet Balsiero winds up being the KO guy, even if he's not the best. The frosh was way too inconsistent.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 05, 2005, 08:33:39 pm
Quote from: Cresthog on September 05, 2005, 12:09:18 pm

He did. The two I remember were poor throws. He did not get enough separation, compared with what I was expecting from him.

Did you guys notice how much David Thompson played? Designated blocker. That just might make us a little easier to read. Maybe.

Thompson got one ball thrown to him, a bad toss from Mortensen in the fourth quarter that not he or anyone else could have hoped to catch. But you're right, every single time THompson was in there during Johnson's quarterbacking, it was a tailback run. Same ol' telegraphing of the offense.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Flatfoot

Howard is a must to be demoted back to fourth option.  RoJo being his first full game is questionable.  If Mort has a better week of practice than let him start the game.  Defense has too many questions in the Linebacker area.  They looked slow and out of position for parts of the game. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

bigt54

I like the RB rotation as is just switch Jones and Howard which I think will happen.  Howard has been a great player and a proud razorback.  However the reason I like the rotation is the hot guy gets the carries whoever produces gets the rock. 
I am worried about Moore as the starter.  If he is finally at full speed then he will be ok, but he was crappy against the pass last year.  Now I do not know if Dacus is that much better, but his speed makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

My starting D-line would be  Brown, Jackson, Harrison, and Anderson.
Anderson has impressed me last year and the other day with his run stopping.  Brown I thought looked good on pass rush.  Jackson tends to make big plays and plays with heart.  Harrison is just the real deal.

"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

PAHog

Offense: Just to make a point, don't start Hillis or Monk.  Too many drops/fumbles from those two that we absolutely cannot have.  After the first seires, they should be in the rest of the game, but don't start them.

Defense: D-line.  No pressure on the QB whatsoever.  If we can't get to MizSt's QB, then how are we going to penetrate and get to Cutler, Leinert, Croyle, Shockley etc?

Sidenote: I thought Michael Coe had a fantastic game.  He may be this year's diamond in the rough.  Good on D, good on returns, just all around good.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

CorningHog

I would have LB's like they are but bring in Fairchild about half the time with Butu, those two would split.

DE's, I like subbing Sims with Anderson.  Tackles would be Harrison & Bledsoe with Jackson getting about a half a game by subbing for both Harrison & Bledsoe.

One thing is for sure, get Randy Kelly out unless he can get much better.

Vaughn and Coe performed much better as well and I was impressed with their progress and aggressive play.

hogmary

Stick with Robert Johnson.  I thought he did a pretty good job for his first start. Don't start the old qb carosel again.
I for one was glad to see David Thompson play as much as he did.  That was a killer block on Jones's run.  Thompson was highly recruited as a speedy receiver out of Memphis...he had terrible knee injuries.  Glad to see him back and playing.  I would like to see the ball distributed among several receivers...hope Baker is back soon.

Nice to see d-linemen and lb's making more of the tackles than in years past.  Kudos to Michael Coe!  I thought the whole secondary did a great job.  Anyone know if Darius Vinnett's family and their home are okay in southern Louisiana?