Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 12, 2024, 01:18:08 pm

LSU

Started by HogFanInBigD, September 22, 2008, 02:07:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBigD

they look like they may be in the title game again. lsu, florida, georgia, and usc are far above everyone else.
Callin Woo Pig From Big D!

Rebel64

I would suspect a little payback this year.

biggiepiggie

Is Bama in the mix?

BA Hogwild

Georgia will eventually choke
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogFanInBigD on September 22, 2008, 02:07:50 pm
they look like they may be in the title game again. lsu, florida, georgia, and usc are far above everyone else.

LSU is not far above Auburn.  They were lucky to win.  Georgia may be a solid program, but they don't blow people out, so you have to wonder.  Florida's gonna eat us alive, but they aren't really overpowering.  Miami and Tennessee are pretty limited on offense, and Miami was very competitive with the Gators for most of the game.  I wish we had Tennessee on our schedule this year, they are not very good at all.  The UCLA team that beat them got killed by Arizona, which had lost to New Mexico, which got destroyed by Tulsa.
[CENSORED]!

donewithdale

LSU's QB play isn't very strong.  They have great playcalling, a great running game and defense plus a solid kicking game.  They remind me of Stallings' great Bama teams.  If their QB can just not cost them games, they will have a great season. 

ultim8hogfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 22, 2008, 04:14:34 pm
LSU is not far above Auburn.  They were lucky to win. 

exactly.  LSU has only played one quality opponent, Auburn, who is, imo, one of the more overrated teams in the SEC.  Auburn's offense looked better against LSU than any other time this year, and Auburn's offense isn't too good.  LSU has beat up on App St and N. Texas.  wow.  we'll find out what they're really made of on oct 11th though against Florida.  i think LSU loses to Florida, Georgia and Alabama.  no way they're going to be in the title game.
if we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure

hogwild7

As much as I HATE to say it--OU is solid!

thechamp

how was LSU lucky? LSU walked in with a redshirt freshman with little to no experience and absolutely lit up in the 2nd half what was supposed one of the best D's in the conference. we may night win the title again this year, but the tigers earned victory saturday and are gonna make some noise this year.

WyomingTiger8888

Champ,it's easier to say LSU is lucky,overrated,etc....which allows them not have to concentrate on their own team.
Quote from: thechamp on September 22, 2008, 04:35:14 pm
how was LSU lucky? LSU walked in with a redshirt freshman with little to no experience and absolutely lit up in the 2nd half what was supposed one of the best D's in the conference. we may night win the title again this year, but the tigers earned victory saturday and are gonna make some noise this year.

RickyRoma

Quote from: lsu8888 on September 22, 2008, 05:10:20 pm
Champ,it's easier to say LSU is lucky,overrated,etc....which allows them not have to concentrate on their own team.

Hey corndog  why are you here concentrating on our team?  STFU and crawl back into the bayou.

RedRiverHog

I thought you were looking for FAN.....
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Beaverfever

Quote from: biggiepiggie on September 22, 2008, 03:54:58 pm
Is Bama in the mix?
They are certainly good, but I think it's too early to tell if they are in the same class as Georgia and LSU.   I love how they can pound in the trenches (gives you the ability to beat anyone), but they are significantly behind georgia, lsu, and florida as far as offensive firepower goes. 

Tammany Tom

September 22, 2008, 06:16:05 pm #13 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:21:05 pm by Tammany Tom
Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on September 22, 2008, 05:19:51 pm
Hey corndog  why are you here concentrating on our team?  STFU and crawl back into the bayou.

Real classy post there. Real Nice. And everyone likes to say how horrible LSU fans are. This kind of post shows that every fanbase has it's share of classless fans.

It seems to me that the title of this thread is "LSU". I may be dumb, but that means that the topic of discussion is about LSU. So, it would seem to me that LSU8888 is concentrating on his own team.

Please don't give me the same old sad argument that this is a Razorback board. Every SEC board is visited by other team's fans. That is what makes SEC football so much fun. 

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 22, 2008, 05:52:52 pm
LSU will win the West, but Florida will win the SEC Championship.

Very fair and reasonable prediction. I predicted Auburn and Florida in the Championship game prior to the season. With our win at Auburn, LSU is firmly in the West drivers seat. I think UF, right now, should be favored to win the Conference title.

-----------

One last comment on how lucky LSU is: It seems to me that LSU has been extremely lucky for 3+ years now with Miles. It seems every time LSU wins a game it's because they were lucky. Well.......Miles is currently 37-6 and has a current winning streak of 6 straight against Top Ten teams. It's all about Luck. 

neahog

Quote from: HogFanInBigD on September 22, 2008, 02:07:50 pm

Auburn didn't seem to be far behind LSU...
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

RickyRoma

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 06:16:05 pm
Real classy post there. Real Nice. And everyone likes to say how horrible LSU fans are. This kind of post shows that every fanbase has it's share of classless fans.

It seems to me that the title of this thread is "LSU". I may be dumb, but that means that the topic of discussion is about LSU. So, it would seem to me that LSU8888 is concentrating on his own team.

Please don't give me the same old sad argument that this is a Razorback board. Every SEC board is visited by other team's fans. That is what makes SEC football so much fun. 

Very fair and reasonable prediction. I predicted Auburn and Florida in the Championship game prior to the season. With our win at Auburn, LSU is firmly in the West drivers seat. I think UF, right now, should be favored to win the Conference title.

-----------

One last comment on how lucky LSU is: It seems to me that LSU has been extremely lucky for 3+ years now with Miles. It seems every time LSU wins a game it's because they were lucky. Well.......Miles is currently 37-6 and has a current winning streak of 6 straight against Top Ten teams. It's all about Luck. 

Excuse me high and mighty...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your boy made the smarta$$ comment to start things up.  I like other fans coming here to discuss football, but don't stir the pot by dropping a comment about the home team after we just got smacked by Bama. 

I don't go to other boards and start talking crap and I expect the same respect here.

tiber

I don't care about this argument, but since you guys are here... how's that QB feeling?  Does he know his own name again yet?  That was a rather abrupt halt to forward motion if you know what I mean...

Bubba's Bruisers

September 22, 2008, 06:37:34 pm #17 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:58:45 pm by Bubba's Bruisers

nm
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

kclvr

Quote from: neahog on September 22, 2008, 06:24:12 pm
Auburn didn't seem to be far behind LSU...

They weren't, just 5 points.  Unlucky for us we have to play both of them at their place and I don't think we will like the results.

kclvr

Quote from: tiber on September 22, 2008, 06:36:34 pm

I don't care about this argument, but since you guys are here... how's that QB feeling?  Does he know his own name again yet?  That was a rather abrupt halt to forward motion if you know what I mean...

he's probably feeling like Bobby Petrino does about now.

BA Hogwild

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 06:16:05 pm

-----------

Dont say that Miles is great. You had a pretty good team before he showed up. He walked into a built program.
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: biggiepiggie on September 22, 2008, 03:54:58 pm
Is Bama in the mix?

That's what I'm thinking. They've looked pretty good to me so far. I think I'd have to give the nod to bama. I guess we'll see this saturday.

GeauxTigers99

September 22, 2008, 07:43:55 pm #22 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:47:33 pm by GeauxTigers99
Think it's still waaaayyyy to early to say that LSU belongs in the group that are "far ahead of everyone else".  They played a good game on Saturday night, not a great one.  QB play was completely awful in the first half and the secondary got lost on more than one occasion.  But they pulled it out, and on a Saturday night, on "The Plains", that should speak for itself. 

Right now I still see Florida and Georgia as the class of the SEC this year, and the rest of the teams will have to put something special together to get past them.  Still not sold on Bama.  Don't get me wrong, they're playing a hell of a lot better than they did last year, but I'm not sure they've really been tested so far.  That's not a jab at the Hogs, at all, and I think most of you will agree that the Hogs just don't have the Defense this year to compete week in, week out.  We'll find out a lot more about Alabama this weekend when JPW's scrambling around w/ a Defensive End breathing down his neck.

As far as the Tigers, the meat of their schedule consists of road games at Florida, at South Carolina, then home against Georgia and Alabama.  Lol, I still wouldn't bet on them winning the west, much less talk about them in a National Championship.

thechamp

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 07:37:33 pm
Dont say that Miles is great. You had a pretty good team before he showed up. He walked into a built program.

ha...just look at the great job bill stewart is doing at wvu. he has all the talent he needs and he's tanking. i'd also point you to ron zook's destruction of a strong UF program. maintaining a great program is harder than you think.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on September 22, 2008, 06:26:26 pm
Excuse me high and mighty...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your boy made the smarta$$ comment to start things up.  I like other fans coming here to discuss football, but don't stir the pot by dropping a comment about the home team after we just got smacked by Bama. 

I don't go to other boards and start talking crap and I expect the same respect here.

I've been a member on here for a long time. I've received a ton of smarta$$ comments. It doesn't mean I need to curse them out and call them names. Come on, we're all college football fans here that enjoy the same game. We just root for teams in different uniforms that's all. Have a great evening!

Quote from: tiber on September 22, 2008, 06:36:34 pm

Hatch got hit pretty good, didn't he. Actually, the concussion was given by one of our favorite Arkansasans (Brett Helms). Brett kneed him in the head pretty hard as he was being hit by the Auburn player and knocked him silly. I think Hatch is going to be ok. It was, however, a great break for Jarrett Lee though.

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 07:37:33 pm

There have been countless coaches that have walked into great situations and screwed them up. No one will disagree with you that Miles walked into a built program. But, what he has done with the program since he took it over is absolutely fabulous.

You don't go 37-6 overall, 20-5 in the SEC, win a NC, SEC Title, and finish in the Top 5 every year you've coached at a school if you aren't a pretty damn good coach regardless of how good the situation was when you came in. 

btw, your current coach walked into a pretty good situation at Louisville too. He built on the previous success of the program and was more successful than his predecessor just like Miles is at LSU. Just because Louisville was a built program when Petrino arrived doesn't mean he wasn't a pretty damn good coach while he was there running the program now does it?

RickyRoma

September 22, 2008, 08:06:24 pm #25 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:13:59 pm by hawgnjayhawkland
Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 07:54:23 pm
I've been a member on here for a long time. I've received a ton of smarta$$ comments. It doesn't mean I need to curse them out and call them names. Come on, we're all college football fans here that enjoy the same game. We just root for teams in different uniforms that's all. Have a great evening!  I'm proud of you....you have a great evening as well.
Hatch got hit pretty good, didn't he. Actually, the concussion was given by one of our favorite Arkansasans (Brett Helms). Brett kneed him in the head pretty hard as he was being hit by the Auburn player and knocked him silly. I think Hatch is going to be ok. It was, however, a great break for Jarrett Lee though.

There have been countless coaches that have walked into great situations and screwed them up. No one will disagree with you that Miles walked into a built program. But, what he has done with the program since he took it over is absolutely fabulous.

You don't go 37-6 overall, 20-5 in the SEC, win a NC, SEC Title, and finish in the Top 5 every year you've coached at a school if you aren't a pretty damn good coach regardless of how good the situation was when you came in. 

btw, your current coach walked into a pretty good situation at Louisville too. He built on the previous success of the program and was more successful than his predecessor just like Miles is at LSU. Just because Louisville was a built program when Petrino arrived doesn't mean he wasn't a pretty damn good coach while he was there running the program now does it?

Hoggy1

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 07:54:23 pm

Louisville was hardly anything when Petrino showed up....I mean, Conf-USA and a couple of liberty bowl victory's isn't exactly a built program.

And as much as I hate LSU and Miles, you don't just get lucky all the time.  He can obviously coach, recruit and keep things rolling to the like of Tiger fans.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Tammany Tom

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on September 22, 2008, 08:18:11 pm
Louisville was hardly anything when Petrino showed up....I mean, Conf-USA and a couple of liberty bowl victory's isn't exactly a built program.

And as much as I hate LSU and Miles, you don't just get lucky all the time.  He can obviously coach, recruit and keep things rolling to the like of Tiger fans.

Louisville won 2 Conference Championships in the previous 3 years before Petrino was hired and went 11-2 just two years before Petrino was hired. If that isn't a built program then I don't know what one is.

Don't give me the "They were only CUSA Championships" excuse. That's exactly what Petrino won while he was there until they joined a very weak Big East conference. Petrino won the big-time Liberty Bowl over another mid-major in Boise State, lost to V-Tech in the Gator Bowl, and then beat Traditional Power Wake Forest after getting the Big East's automatic bid to the Orange Bowl.

The bottomline is that Louisville was successful before Petrino got there. He built on the success of the program and did more with it. His predecessor was 41-21. Petrino went 41-9. That's called building on an already successful program and getting better results. The exact same thing Miles is doing at LSU.

BA Hogwild

Quote from: thechamp on September 22, 2008, 07:52:39 pm
ha...just look at the great job bill stewart is doing at wvu. he has all the talent he needs and he's tanking. i'd also point you to ron zook's destruction of a strong UF program. maintaining a great program is harder than you think.

4–7,8–5,9–4,7–5 at OSU and then walks into a better (built) program in the SEC. I dont care what you think. If LSU wasnt already a built program, Miles couldnt have the record he has now. Be honest! Even Barry Switzer kisses Johnsons A$$ because he knew it was Johnson who left him with a crap load of talent. Same situation. Miles needs to pucker up.

kclvr

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 09:21:09 pm
4–7,8–5,9–4,7–5 at OSU and then walks into a better (built) program in the SEC. I dont care what you think. If LSU wasnt already a built program, Miles couldnt have the record he has now. Be honest! Even Barry Switzer kisses Johnsons A$$ because he knew it was Johnson who left him with a crap load of talent. Same situation. Miles needs to pucker up.

I will say that before Miles came to LSU he was in a harder conference than BP was and had a winning record.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 09:21:09 pm

Les Miles is the winningest coach ever in the history of Oklahoma State football.

I think most astute football fans will all agree that Jimmy Johnson was a great football coach. Well.....Les had a better record at Okie State than Jimmy did. JJ didn't exactly walk into a bad situation at Miami either. Same thing for Miles at LSU.

No one will ever argue that Les Miles didn't walk into a great situation at LSU. That's not the point. The point is that he is building on that success and is doing a great job. I mean, come on......LSU hasn't lost more than 2 games under Miles, has finished in the Top 5 in his first 3 seasons, and has beaten 6 straight Top Ten teams. He's the first coach in the SEC since Bear Bryant to win 11 games in three consecutive seasons. That's pretty damn impressive, Period.

And, to top it all off.............He keeps bringining in the elite talent to Baton Rouge. That train just keeps on rolling and rolling and isn't slowing down.

BA Hogwild

September 22, 2008, 09:51:57 pm #31 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:04:28 pm by BA Hogwild
Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 09:00:50 pm
Louisville won 2 Conference Championships in the previous 3 years before Petrino was hired and went 11-2 just two years before Petrino was hired. If that isn't a built program then I don't know what one is.
Don't give me the "They were only CUSA Championships" excuse. That's exactly what Petrino won while he was there until they joined a very weak Big East conference. Petrino won the big-time Liberty Bowl over another mid-major in Boise State, lost to V-Tech in the Gator Bowl, and then beat Traditional Power Wake Forest after getting the Big East's automatic bid to the Orange Bowl.

The bottomline is that Louisville was successful before Petrino got there. He built on the success of the program and did more with it. His predecessor was 41-21. Petrino went 41-9. That's called building on an already successful program and getting better results. The exact same thing Miles is doing at LSU.

That is a successful program? Wow! Did you get graded on curves?

Ex-Trumpet

Top 3 in SEC would dominate anyone in the country.  For that reason, USC & OU/Mizzou will probably play for the title.  Sucks.  We need a playoff.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BA Hogwild

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 09:41:44 pm
Les Miles is the winningest coach ever in the history of Oklahoma State football.

I think most astute football fans will all agree that Jimmy Johnson was a great football coach. Well.....Les had a better record at Okie State than Jimmy did. JJ didn't exactly walk into a bad situation at Miami either. Same thing for Miles at LSU.

No one will ever argue that Les Miles didn't walk into a great situation at LSU. That's not the point. The point is that he is building on that success and is doing a great job. I mean, come on......LSU hasn't lost more than 2 games under Miles, has finished in the Top 5 in his first 3 seasons, and has beaten 6 straight Top Ten teams. He's the first coach in the SEC since Bear Bryant to win 11 games in three consecutive seasons. That's pretty damn impressive, Period.

And, to top it all off.............He keeps bringining in the elite talent to Baton Rouge. That train just keeps on rolling and rolling and isn't slowing down.

If you read my first post. That was my point. My hunch is in two years his time will come to an end. Too many better coaches and yes Bobby Petrinio is a much better coach. You can have your laughs this year and the next but it will come to an end. Enjoy while you can. Good night

kclvr

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 10:03:54 pm
If you read my first post. That was my point. My hunch is in two years his time will come to an end. Too many better coaches and yes Bobby Petrinio is a much better coach. You can have your laughs this year and the next but it will come to an end. Enjoy while you can. Good night

I am a hog fan but I sure would like to hear your logic behind the fact that in 2 years LSU will be a bad football program?  I follow recruiting a little and know they are in on and could sign 7 - 5* players this year alone.  That is USC west sick.  We will get better but saying we are going to take over the SEC in 2 or even 4 years is just being a homer beyond stupid.  AL is also going to keep getting top notch talent.  As a poster earlier posted we are currently # 19 in rivals so far and are 7th in the SEC.  You will not win the west year in and out with those numbers.  It is best not to argue stupid facts.  When BP was hired most homers gave us 7 - 9 wins just because of our hire.  We see how that is working out.  people say ole Les is lucky but we are also lucky we aren't 0 - 3 right now.  I like also how the homers are trying to say a play here and a play there and the score would be respectable, the same can aslo be said about our first 2 games on 4th down converstions for the win.  I believe it will turn around in a few years but until then I am not going to be one to sit on the fence post and crow about what's going to happen in a few years while several teams ahead of us already continue to reload.

thechamp

yawn...people were saying that last year. every year people are predicting the downfall of the LSU program and it never happens. like it or not, miles is bringing in top talent and has one of the best staffs in the country. i think petrino will do some good things at ark, but some of you are really reaching in thinking that LSU is about to go in the tank.

RickyRoma

Quote from: thechamp on September 22, 2008, 10:26:11 pm
yawn...people were saying that last year. every year people are predicting the downfall of the LSU program and it never happens. like it or not, miles is bringing in top talent and has one of the best staffs in the country. i think petrino will do some good things at ark, but some of you are really reaching in thinking that LSU is about to go in the tank.

yeah guys layoff...afterall they haven't been out of the tank all that long.  let them enjoy their success.

BA Hogwild

September 23, 2008, 08:14:59 am #37 Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:38:45 am by BA Hogwild
Quote from: kclvr on September 22, 2008, 10:20:06 pm
I am a hog fan but I sure would like to hear your logic behind the fact that in 2 years LSU will be a bad football program?  I follow recruiting a little and know they are in on and could sign 7 - 5* players this year alone.  That is USC west sick.  We will get better but saying we are going to take over the SEC in 2 or even 4 years is just being a homer beyond stupid.  AL is also going to keep getting top notch talent.  As a poster earlier posted we are currently # 19 in rivals so far and are 7th in the SEC.  You will not win the west year in and out with those numbers.  It is best not to argue stupid facts.  When BP was hired most homers gave us 7 - 9 wins just because of our hire.  We see how that is working out.  people say ole Les is lucky but we are also lucky we aren't 0 - 3 right now.  I like also how the homers are trying to say a play here and a play there and the score would be respectable, the same can aslo be said about our first 2 games on 4th down converstions for the win.  I believe it will turn around in a few years but until then I am not going to be one to sit on the fence post and crow about what's going to happen in a few years while several teams ahead of us already continue to reload.

Read more. Post less. If you check my past post you will see that we will be lucky to win 2 more this year. Did i really say LSU will completely tank. NO but LSU will drop from where they are now. Like i said before too many good coaches in the SEC. LSU will lose positon. If I am wrong then I will admit it. Before you start calling people homers please let me know all 7 of the 5 star recruits you are speaking of. I will do more research to see but bring facts and not the high and mighty recruiting talk

Theolesnort

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 22, 2008, 09:41:44 pm

Yeah, it gets old calling Miles lucky all the time. After so many years just realize that he is a heck of a coach that knows how to recruit and build a great staff. I still think they have the best looking squad in the country. USC? well I still think if the qb's were equal I would go with LSU although I am not that high on Sanchez just yet. He for sure knows the offense but his passing so far has been of the dink variety. I don't know if that is by design or not just yet but I would like to know if he can throw it down the field without turnovers. It remains to be seen. If they ease him into doing that successfully then look out, they will be the complete team.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Biggus Piggus

Lucky, fortunate, had to punt with 5-1/2 minutes left to play trailing on the scoreboard.

Lucky Auburn played close to the vest on that possession and went three and out.  Lucky Auburn's punter choked and booted the football only 25 yards, giving LSU possession near midfield.  LSU should have taken possession inside its own 30.

Lucky Brandon LaFell was so open, caught Auburn just right.  You make your own luck, but on any other down that play might not have been there.  LSU was pecking its way down the field, probably angling for 3, got the TD that's a lot surer than a FG attempt.

Not lucky, just good sacking Todd for 15-yard loss.  Lucky that Auburn didn't get a first down on that fourth down play anyway.  Very lucky that the stupid Auburn coordinator didn't play more possession ball on the previous downs.  Wasted three downs when they could have pecked their way downfield just like LSU did.

I'm very unimpressed with Tony Franklin.  It's not luck that LSU has better coaches.
[CENSORED]!

Rebel64

Lucky is as lucky does, as i have posted like many others we are lucky to not be 0 - 3.

thechamp

the above poster did not say we have 7 5 stars committed, but we are in on and in the final choices for a lot of them

5 stars already committed: DT Chris Davenport and QB Russell Shepard
5 star guys we have a very good shot of getting:  WR Reuben Randle, DT Jamarkus McFarland,  S Craig Loston,  RB Christine Michael, and RB Trent Richardson.

Right now our class is ranked 4th, and if we get some of the above guy i mentioned this has the potential to be one of the best classes ever at LSU. if LSU is going to lose position this this class will be one of the worst busts ever.

thechamp

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 23, 2008, 09:59:21 am
Lucky, fortunate, had to punt with 5-1/2 minutes left to play trailing on the scoreboard.

Lucky Auburn played close to the vest on that possession and went three and out.  Lucky Auburn's punter choked and booted the football only 25 yards, giving LSU possession near midfield.  LSU should have taken possession inside its own 30.

Lucky Brandon LaFell was so open, caught Auburn just right.  You make your own luck, but on any other down that play might not have been there.  LSU was pecking its way down the field, probably angling for 3, got the TD that's a lot surer than a FG attempt.

Not lucky, just good sacking Todd for 15-yard loss.  Lucky that Auburn didn't get a first down on that fourth down play anyway.  Very lucky that the stupid Auburn coordinator didn't play more possession ball on the previous downs.  Wasted three downs when they could have pecked their way downfield just like LSU did.

I'm very unimpressed with Tony Franklin.  It's not luck that LSU has better coaches.

or maybe our punters were simply better than theirs. we outpunted them by nearly 91 yards total in the game, so you gotta give our guys a little credit. and maybe lafell is just a badass reciever who runs great routes and is nearly impossible to cover? he was killing auburn in the second half.

you're right about the coaching. our OC Gary Crowton is one of the best in the biz, and our halftime adjustments won the game. that is great coaching, not luck.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BA Hogwild on September 22, 2008, 09:51:57 pm
That is a successful program? Wow! Did you get graded on curves?

Some of you guys absolutely amaze me. You do everything in your power to build Petrino into some God and then tear apart everything Miles has accomplished.

Yes, the definition of a successful program would be back-to-back conference championships. That is exactly what Louisville accomplished in the 3 years prior to Petrino's arrival. Look.........Petrino was a successful coach at Louisville, I'm not denying that and no LSU fan is denying that. However, he didn't build the program from nothing like a lot of Arkansas fans seem to want to believe. He took a successful program and made it better. The exact same thing Les Miles is doing at LSU. The "True" architect and builder of the Louisville football program is the same "True" architect of the Miami football program: Howard Schnellenberger. 

Other than the fact that you want LSU to fail in 2 years, please give me some insight and trends that lead you to believe that LSU will not be a power in 2+ years.

I look at recruiting trends and rankings and how well a HC replaces his coaching staff to determine what direction teams are heading. LSU continues to be one of the top three teams in recruiting year after year after year. Miles has done a remarkable job of replacing his coaching staff.

There has been, is, and always will be major competition in the SEC. No one team is going to dominate the league and no one here is saying LSU is going to dominate in the future. However, all trends point towards LSU maintaining their status as an elite SEC football program well into the future. 

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 23, 2008, 09:59:21 am

I can pull out 10+ plays in any given game and say that one team or the other got lucky on that particular play.

Good teams make their own luck and the ball always seems to bounce in the wrong direction for bad teams. That is just the way it is.

This stat, however, has nothing to do with luck:

LSU, currently, has beaten 6 straight Top Ten opponents.

Spin that stat any way you like.

BA Hogwild

Quote from: thechamp on September 23, 2008, 11:02:37 am
the above poster did not say we have 7 5 stars committed, but we are in on and in the final choices for a lot of them

5 stars already committed: DT Chris Davenport and QB Russell Shepard
5 star guys we have a very good shot of getting:  WR Reuben Randle, DT Jamarkus McFarland,  S Craig Loston,  RB Christine Michael, and RB Trent Richardson.

Right now our class is ranked 4th, and if we get some of the above guy i mentioned this has the potential to be one of the best classes ever at LSU. if LSU is going to lose position this this class will be one of the worst busts ever.

Thank you. I will check these guys out. I agree. If you do lose position then it would be a bust. Just remember i just gave it a hunch that they would fall in postion but not to the position of Vandy. Not a fact and i never said LSU was lucky. My point being is that if BP can come in and turn this around for us and make us into a powerhouse then that to me is more of a great coach than a coach who walked into a built program.

Hogginitall

September 23, 2008, 11:31:00 am #45 Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:32:33 am by Hogginitall
Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 23, 2008, 11:12:12 am
Some of you guys absolutely amaze me. You do everything in your power to build Petrino into some God and then tear apart everything Miles has accomplished.

Yes, the definition of a successful program would be back-to-back conference championships. That is exactly what Louisville accomplished in the 3 years prior to Petrino's arrival. Look.........Petrino was a successful coach at Louisville, I'm not denying that and no LSU fan is denying that. However, he didn't build the program from nothing like a lot of Arkansas fans seem to want to believe. He took a successful program and made it better. The exact same thing Les Miles is doing at LSU. The "True" architect and builder of the Louisville football program is the same "True" architect of the Miami football program: Howard Schnellenberger. 

Other than the fact that you want LSU to fail in 2 years, please give me some insight and trends that lead you to believe that LSU will not be a power in 2+ years.

I look at recruiting trends and rankings and how well a HC replaces his coaching staff to determine what direction teams are heading. LSU continues to be one of the top three teams in recruiting year after year after year. Miles has done a remarkable job of replacing his coaching staff.

There has been, is, and always will be major competition in the SEC. No one team is going to dominate the league and no one here is saying LSU is going to dominate in the future. However, all trends point towards LSU maintaining their status as an elite SEC football program well into the future. 

I can pull out 10+ plays in any given game and say that one team or the other got lucky on that particular play.

Good teams make their own luck and the ball always seems to bounce in the wrong direction for bad teams. That is just the way it is.

This stat, however, has nothing to do with luck:

LSU, currently, has beaten 6 straight Top Ten opponents.

Spin that stat any way you like.

How many non-ranked teams has LSU beaten in a row?  And who was the last non-ranked team to beat LSU?  Just curious.....

Hogginitall

Also, Louisville got those conference championships when they were in Conference USA.  The year before he got there, they were 7-6.  They moved from a non-BCS conference to a BCS conference 2 years after he was hired.  They subsequently went 9-3 and then 12-1, Big East champs, with a BCS bowl win.  That's impressive.  He built that, not Schnellenberger.

To go from Conference USA (non-BCS) to the Big East (BCS) and have a conference championship in 2 years is amazing.

toozakpig

I don't for LSD or "Lester Hayes" Miles. Yet they have my respect. Miles is smart enough like any good CEO, realizies that you are only as good as the people that you surround yourself with. Miles has outstanding coaches around him. Plus he and his staff have to be one set of great recruiters to be able to simply reload every year. The only that I have against LSD fans is they seem to forget just how bad they were before Saban came along. They were not a factor in the SEC. As my mom has told me on many occasions "don't forget where you came from!" "What comes around goes around!"

Rebel64

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 23, 2008, 11:31:00 am
How many non-ranked teams has LSU beaten in a row?  And who was the last non-ranked team to beat LSU?  Just curious.....

As a hog fan let the past be the past.  All LSU fans know we beat them last year,  keep in mind we are very weak and they are not and we play them at their home away from home this year.  Hell until last year it was like the last time we them was the miracle on markham game.  I would not mind crowing as much about our win last year had we not got our a$$ reamed and cleaned at the cotton bowl. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: toozakpig on September 23, 2008, 11:42:25 am
I don't for LSD or "Lester Hayes" Miles.

Is this kind of like, "I just Steven Hill"?