Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Neal Barlow decides

Started by The Recruiting Guy, August 12, 2008, 08:46:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: JIHawg on August 12, 2008, 10:23:25 pm
Richard-how bad did we really want this guy?  4.6 in the 40?  Is that acceptable to Petrino?

They wanted him. I can promise you that.

IronMountainHog

I sat in my car last week listening to Shawn and Wally interview this kid. He was adamant that he was going to take all 5 visits and commit near the playoffs/end of his senior season. What a difference a week makes. I know Arkansas wanted him, but I say we move on and go after someone else.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: IronMountainHog on August 12, 2008, 10:54:22 pm
I sat in my car last week listening to Shawn and Wally interview this kid. He was adamant that he was going to take all 5 visits and commit near the playoffs/end of his senior season. What a difference a week makes. I know Arkansas wanted him, but I say we move on and go after someone else.

i agree.  Cant sit and think about a lost recruit, need to go recruit more
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

COCHISE

Guys, as Arkansas fans we know that verbal commitments mean very little, let Barlow watch Kansas play this year and then watch Petrino's team and who knows what will happen.  I have a feeling he could be easily swayed from KU, that is IF Petrino will still honor the offer.

mizzouman

Quote from: 870 RZR on August 12, 2008, 11:03:01 pm
Guys, as Arkansas fans we know that verbal commitments mean very little, let Barlow watch Kansas play this year and then watch Petrino's team and who knows what will happen.  I have a feeling he could be easily swayed from KU, that is IF Petrino will still honor the offer.

This may not be the year to "sway" recruits to come to Arkansas after they commit somewhere else.  Remember, this will be a down year until Petrino can get it turned around.  I'm not sure comparing KU and AR this year will make one go from KU to AR.  Maybe, in a couple of years, that could happen, but not this year.  KU has a tougher schedule, but they will be good this year as well.

Jayhawker

Quote from: mizzouman on August 12, 2008, 09:38:42 pm
What I can't understand is that there is no great QB in the wings at KU after Reesing leaves.  It takes a great QB to run this type of system.  At least at Arkansas, you have Mallett and at Mizzou we have Gabbert.

Oh well, good luck Neal.

There is nothing great about Gabbert other than the number of stars next to his name. Mallet is a stud though.

At KU there's Kale Pick, Christian Matthews and Jordan Webb behind Reesing and Meier. Barlow will have plenty of talented QB throwing him the ball.

This comes as a shock to KU fans, as it seemed while at one point KU was leading, his recent comments indicated that he was headed to Arkansas. Apparently his relationship with our new WR coach (David Beaty from Rice) was the biggest factor in his decision.

djshaff

August 12, 2008, 11:28:44 pm #56 Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:43:55 pm by djshaff
Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 12, 2008, 09:53:41 pm
Neal will see that Kansas success last year was purely based on a cupcake schedule, and not so much coaching. Kansas played 1 top 50 team in season last year...and they lost that game.  Not only does Arkansas get more media coverage (ESPN/CBS/LFS) but also has the 24th ranked Business school in America (didnt he say he wanted to check out the business school)  Bad judgment so far....but can be improved if he truly looks at his options.

Kansas.....? they will win no more the 7 games this year. They wont surprise people, and they play both Texas and OU (teams they did not play last year).

Yeah, well I'm not surprised that you stopped watching football after the 1st of the year, either.

Jayhawker

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 12, 2008, 10:07:09 pm
and how many kids has Kansas sent to the NFL???

Not too many in recent years (eleven current Jayhawks), but historically, there were tons of KU players in the NFL. Several Hall of Famers as well. Sayers and Riggins were the most famous.

mizzouman

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 12, 2008, 09:53:41 pm
Neal will see that Kansas success last year was purely based on a cupcake schedule, and not so much coaching. Kansas played 1 top 50 team in season last year...and they lost that game.  Not only does Arkansas get more media coverage (ESPN/CBS/LFS) but also has the 24th ranked Business school in America (didnt he say he wanted to check out the business school)  Bad judgment so far....but can be improved if he truly looks at his options.

Kansas.....? they will win no more the 7 games this year. They wont surprise people, and they play both Texas and OU (teams they did not play last year).

I hate KU with a passion, but they are a good team.  They will win at least 9 this year.

Erockster20

Quote from: PotBelliedPig29 on August 12, 2008, 09:26:09 pm
Dont bash the kid. He made his decision. Lay off. Some kids actually read these boards and take offense to things like "better than Neal". Have a little respect.

I'm not for bashing kids either, however, if you look at the top of the page it reads "#1 Hog Fan Headquarters!"  This is a razorback FAN message board.  Even more so if you are an in-state kid, who committs to an out of state program, lesser in tradition and lesser in talent than we have here.  You are heavily recruited by the in state school.  And you still decide to go else where, THEN YOU ARE NOT A FAN OF THE HOGS.  FREAKIN PERIOD!!!!

Now that doesn't mean bash the kid, but who cares what we put on here, because this is our site.  I am sure there are message boards for Kansas, at least for basketball,... have at it.  Read all you want.  And don't come back when you graduate "pulling for the hogs."  When you leave, you give up your Fan Hood for the hogs.  PERIOD!

I wish the kid well.  Man get out there and tear it up.  Its just the way I feel, you are not part of our family if you leave.

Now I know this goes both ways when kids leave and come here.  I'm sure some slack like me is cusing them too.  I think our state is different from most other situations but still, I understand. 

djshaff

Also, You guys sound like A&M fans after we beat their a$$ down in College Station.  I just don't really see the point in bagging on the kid's decision... I will always root for our homestate kids to do well wherever they choose to go.

ArKan5a5 KiD

Dang this sux! But hey didnt Petrino sway a kid away from USC at the last minute last year??? Who says we cant sway one away from Kansas?? Give him some time! Signing day is a long ways away!  :razorback:

SquidBilly

Wow something must have happened to change Barlow's mind about waiting.  It would be very interesting to know how much, if anything, the whole Cruz Williams debacle played a role.  I don't have any idea how close Cruz and Neal were but Cruz certainly didn't handle not being accepted at the UofA very well.

Hogstocking

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on August 12, 2008, 10:07:09 pm
and how many kids has Kansas sent to the NFL???

Not many.  Since 1998 they've only had 10 players drafted.. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=K&collegeName=Kansas&abbrFlag=0&type=school

As a comparison, Arkansas has sent 10 players in the draft just in the past 2 years, including 3 that went in the 1rst round

COCHISE

Quote from: mizzouman on August 12, 2008, 11:18:17 pm
This may not be the year to "sway" recruits to come to Arkansas after they commit somewhere else.  Remember, this will be a down year until Petrino can get it turned around.  I'm not sure comparing KU and AR this year will make one go from KU to AR.  Maybe, in a couple of years, that could happen, but not this year.  KU has a tougher schedule, but they will be good this year as well.

I wasn't referring to wins and losses.  These recruits will get a good look at the offensive schemes that Arkansas will be running for years to come, WR's will likely be impressed, especially knowing that is going to get nothing but better.

PittsJay

There are going to be some surprised folks on this board when KU is pretty dang good again this year.

Just sayin'.

passinghog

Quote from: mizzouman on August 12, 2008, 11:34:51 pm
I hate KU with a passion, but they are a good team.  They will win at least 9 this year.

I know you're a Mizzou guy, but could you please name those 9 wins for the board?
Just from a Big 12 fan's perspective...

Dalman

KU wins all 4 non-conference games, (including at South Florida) plus beats Nebraska, KSU, Iowa State, Colorado, and either Texas or Texas Tech in Lawrence. Missouri is too tough this year. Oklahoma is on another level.

KU is going to be very, very good again this year.

Hogginitall

Ok.  Let me say this as clearly as possible:  We lost 2 3-star recruits tonight.  It is DEFINITELY not the end of the world.  If these two kids want to go to a couple of also-rans, that's fine.  We'll be fine without them.

passinghog

Quote from: Dalman on August 13, 2008, 12:27:47 am
KU wins all 4 non-conference games, (including at South Florida) plus beats Nebraska, KSU, Iowa State, Colorado, and either Texas or Texas Tech in Lawrence. Missouri is too tough this year. Oklahoma is on another level.

KU is going to be very, very good again this year.

Winning at South Florida? That's a toss-up at best. Don't think you'll beat Nebraska on the road either; they probably haven't forgot about their lost to ya'll last year. 
By the way, you guys play Florida Int'l, South Florida, Sam Houston St. and LaTech in your non-conference. That's flat out embarrassing.

PittsJay

Quote from: passinghog on August 13, 2008, 12:21:47 am
I know you're a Mizzou guy, but could you please name those 9 wins for the board?
Just from a Big 12 fan's perspective...

It's not hard to find them when you look at things objectively.  I know it sounds crazy, but KU football is improving in nearly every respect.  They just opened a $35 million dedicated football facility, complete with revamped locker rooms at the stadium, two brand new practice fields, and a new weight room.  Everything is state of the art.  Season ticket sales will reach an all-time high before the start of the season, and recruiting is continuing to improve.

People like to point to last year's schedule as proof that Kansas was a fluke, but I always marvel at that line of thought.  Prior to the year, nobody was picking Kansas to do anything.  At most they had them in a lower-tier bowl game with six, maybe seven wins.  Nobody mentioned the weakness of the schedule because Kansas was supposed to be weak as well.  So what did they do?  They did exactly what good teams are supposed to do, and crushed those weaker than them.  They lost to a Top 5 team in the country by eight points, and then beat ACC Champion Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. 

Weak schedule or not, Kansas was a great football team last year.  It's hard to fault them for beating the teams they were supposed to beat.

Anyway, as to the nine wins:

4-0 in the non-con, including a win at South Florida.
Kansas State, Nebraska, Iowa State, Colorado, and one of Texas Tech or Texas, both of which are home games.

9 wins. It's hardly a guarantee, but it's actually a fairly reasonable prediction.  Kansas returns 9 starters on defense and fills the gaps with a ton of talent and even some experience (The corner replacing 1st-Round draft pick Aqib Talib started opposite him last year for much of the season, due to an injury), plus the core of the offensive line, a host of talented receivers, and Todd Reesing at QB.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm die-hard for both schools (Mom went to U of A, Dad went to KU Med and grew up a Jayhawk).  I think the future is bright for both KU and UA, and couldn't be more excited for either of them.  It's going to be a great year.

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 12:43:42 am
It's not hard to find them when you look at things objectively.  I know it sounds crazy, but KU football is improving in nearly every respect.  They just opened a $35 million dedicated football facility, complete with revamped locker rooms at the stadium, two brand new practice fields, and a new weight room.  Everything is state of the art.  Season ticket sales will reach an all-time high before the start of the season, and recruiting is continuing to improve.

Congrats on making it into the 21st century.  It sure took y'all awhile.  They have a 35 million dollar football facility?  With new locker rooms?  And they even get their own practice fields?  And now they have a new weight room!  WOW!  Season ticket sales are reaching an all time high of 6 (including the coaches' wives)?  Truly impressive!

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 12:48:47 am
Congrats on making it into the 21st century.  It sure took y'all awhile.  They have a 35 million dollar football facility?  With new locker rooms?  And they even get their own practice fields?  And now they have a new weight room!  WOW!  Season ticket sales are reaching an all time high of 6 (including the coaches' wives)?  Truly impressive!

*shrug*  It's what happens at a basketball school.  Takes awhile to get things moving. As a Kansas fan, I've suffered through more crappy football than I care to remember.  It's nice to see things moving in the right direction.

Some quotes from Neal suggest that he was awfully impressed with those facilities though...

Jayhawker

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 12:48:47 am

You almost sound bitter. Does it have anything to do with an also-ran Big 12 North team taking Arkansas to the woodshed last winter?

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 12:52:23 am
*shrug*  It's what happens at a basketball school.  Takes awhile to get things moving. As a Kansas fan, I've suffered through more crappy football than I care to remember.  It's nice to see things moving in the right direction.

Some quotes from Neal suggest that he was awfully impressed with those facilities though...

That's fine.  If he's more impressed with Kansas' facilities than Arkansas', then he obviously is either blind, or he has other reasons to say such than just the quality of the facilities.  I will let kids like Barlow go to Kansas all day long.

Jayhawker

Quote from: passinghog on August 13, 2008, 12:43:06 am
By the way, you guys play Florida Int'l, South Florida, Sam Houston St. and LaTech in your non-conference. That's flat out embarrassing.

La-Monroe, Tulsa and Western Illinois are juggernauts? Both USF and Texas are ranked.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 12:54:57 am
You almost sound bitter. Does it have anything to do with an also-ran Big 12 North team taking Arkansas to the woodshed last winter?

Kansas was/is an also ran, not Missouri.  They should've been in that game you were in.  Then they'd be Orange Bowl champs.  Did y'all play last year?

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 12:56:54 am
That's fine.  If he's more impressed with Kansas' facilities than Arkansas', then he obviously is either blind, or he has other reasons to say such than just the quality of the facilities.  I will let kids like Barlow go to Kansas all day long.

Have you seen Kansas' facilities?

I've seen both, and while Arkansas' are fantastic Kansas' new place is every bit as good.  In my opinion.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the Jayhawks would take "kids like Barlow" as long as you're willing to give them. 6-foot-7 wide receivers don't come around that often. :-)

passinghog

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 12:54:57 am

Anytime the Big 12 runner-up plays the 6th place team in the SEC, the Big 12 team should win that game 9 out of 10 times. Missouri and Kansas were 2 different teams.
You guys beat Va Tech, the same team that lost to LSU 45-7, which was the same team that Arkansas beat at home...while going on to win the national title.  I mean how many degrees of separation can we go with this debate.

passinghog

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 12:58:19 am
La-Monroe, Tulsa and Western Illinois are juggernauts? Both USF and Texas are ranked.

When you're in the SEC, you play one good non-conference game and winning the SEC schedule is enough alone to get you in the top 5. The same cant be said for the Big XII.

PittsJay

Quote from: donewithdale on August 13, 2008, 01:00:46 am
And we took that same also ran to the woodshed a few seasons ago in a bowl as well.  Some of our fans are bitter over losing a recruit.  Nothing more than that.

I like people who are reasonable. :-)

Besides, I can't imagine Petrino is going to have trouble bringing in quality WRs. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 12:58:47 am
Have you seen Kansas' facilities?

I've seen both, and while Arkansas' are fantastic Kansas' new place is every bit as good.  In my opinion.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the Jayhawks would take "kids like Barlow" as long as you're willing to give them. 6-foot-7 wide receivers don't come around that often. :-)

Yes, I've seen Kansas' facilities.  They are new, and that's IT.  Like I said, I'll give you kids like Barlow all day.  Afraid of competition, doesn't want to be in the spotlight, wants to play where football is 2nd priority..........

He'll be a nice TE for you guys.

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:03:25 am
Yes, I've seen Kansas' facilities.  They are new, and that's IT.  Like I said, I'll give you kids like Barlow all day.  Afraid of competition, doesn't want to be in the spotlight, wants to play where football is 2nd priority..........

So it's not possible that he just...I don't know.  Liked Kansas better?  Because he picked KU over Arkansas, it's a statement on the quality of Neal Barlow's character and intestinal fortitude?

Doesn't that seem a little silly?

Jayhawker

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 12:58:27 am
Kansas was/is an also ran, not Missouri. 

Missouri had one great year for the first time in decades. Years of either mediocrity or terrible teams. The same for KU. Please define "also-ran".

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 01:05:10 am
So it's not possible that he just...I don't know.  Liked Kansas better?  Because he picked KU over Arkansas, it's a statement on the quality of Neal Barlow's character and intestinal fortitude?

To me it is.  I agree 100% that he liked Kansas better.  My only question is how?

Jayhawker

Quote from: passinghog on August 13, 2008, 01:01:50 am
When you're in the SEC, you play one good non-conference game and winning the SEC schedule is enough alone to get you in the top 5. The same cant be said for the Big XII.

Ah yes, because the SEC is an unstoppable force. You have teams like Alabama who lose to Louisiana-Monroe (one of those creampuffs KU routed on their schedule).

He mocked our non-conference schedule, which I found funny. Arkansas hasn't played many tough teams the last two years out of conference.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 01:06:19 am
Missouri had one great year for the first time in decades. Years of either mediocrity or terrible teams. The same for KU. Please define "also-ran".

Missouri has had success in the past AND had success last year.  Missouri beat Kansas last year.  Kansas played the weakest schedule in the history of the world last year and lost to the only good team they played, who happened to be Missouri.  KU is an also ran.  Please don't try to defend that FACT.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 01:09:45 am
Ah yes, because the SEC is an unstoppable force. You have teams like Alabama who lose to Louisiana-Monroe (one of those creampuffs KU routed on their schedule).

He mocked our non-conference schedule, which I found funny. Arkansas hasn't played many tough teams the last two years out of conference.

Yeah, Southern Cal is a cream puff.

Jayhawker

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 01:05:10 am

It all seems silly. He liked a KU assistant coach and was blown away by our facilities. Bashing KU isn't going to change his decision.

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:08:29 am
To me it is.  I agree 100% that he liked Kansas better.  My only question is how?

Well, an interview with him over on the Rivals network cited a number of reasons.  Playing time and/or lack of competition didn't garner a mention.

Oh well.  As an Arkansas fan myself, I get your fervor.  I'm sure Petrino will land more than his share of talent this year and beyond.

Jayhawker

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:11:34 am
Yeah, Southern Cal is a cream puff.

Meant this year and last.

But, Arkansas got creamed in that game. So did it really benefit your team?

passinghog

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:03:25 am

He'll be a nice TE for you guys.

Let's keep getting the Joe Adams', J. Wright's, and LC types and let them show how we FTS. Studs don't care about who's on the depth chart, or who they have to overtake. They know they got skills and not worried about if they'll play or not. If you are a stud, you know you're going to play, so that's not even a thought that enters your mind.

Come on down Cobi Hamilton; he's a stud, and looks like he's not afraid to compete and let Coach Petrino FTS.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Jayhawker on August 13, 2008, 01:15:02 am
Meant this year and last.

But, Arkansas got creamed in that game. So did it really benefit your team?

We're not talking about the beneficial aspect of scheduling, unless you are talking about your creampuff schedule being beneficial to you making a BCS game last year.  We play Texas this year, we played USC in '05 and '06, we played Texas in '03 and '04.  We play Texas A&M starting next year, for the next 10 years.  IN ADDITION TO OUR EXTEMELY TOUGH SEC SCHEDULE.  Give it up.

Jayhawker

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:10:27 am
Missouri has had success in the past AND had success last year.  Missouri beat Kansas last year.  Kansas played the weakest schedule in the history of the world last year and lost to the only good team they played, who happened to be Missouri.  KU is an also ran.  Please don't try to defend that FACT.

What success in the past? The 1960s? You may want to do some research on the subject. At least KU was a top ten team in the early 90s. MU is an also-ran.

I won't defend our schedule. It looks worse than it really was, but we handled everyone except for MU. Lost by one score to a team that killed your Hogs.

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 01:13:20 am
Well, an interview with him over on the Rivals network cited a number of reasons.  Playing time and/or lack of competition didn't garner a mention.

Oh well.  As an Arkansas fan myself, I get your fervor.  I'm sure Petrino will land more than his share of talent this year and beyond.

Like he's going to state that in a Rivals interview?

"Yeah, I just like Kansas because it'll be easy for me to start.  I'm afraid of competition and there are some really good WRs at Arkansas.  I just felt like I wasn't good enough to get any playing time at Arkansas, so I chose an also ran in Kansas, where I can get some early playing time."

PittsJay

August 13, 2008, 01:20:58 am #95 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:23:57 am by PittsJay
Quote from: passinghog on August 13, 2008, 01:16:02 am
Let's keep getting the Joe Adams', J. Wright's, and LC types and let them show how we FTS. Studs don't care about who's on the depth chart, or who they have to overtake. They know they got skills and not worried about if they'll play or not. If you are a stud, you know you're going to play, so that's not even a thought that enters your mind.

Again, I just have to ask...how do you know that's what was driving Barlow's decision?

I was a student at the U of A during the recruitment of both Ryan Mallett and Mitch Mustain, and I distinctly remember reports indicating that one of the factors in Mallett avoiding Arkansas initially was the fact that the depth chart included Mitch - another five-star QB prospect only a year ahead of him.  Is Ryan Mallett not a "stud"?

Even if the depth chart does influence some kids, sometimes it's just plain ol' common sense at work.  And it doesn't seem like that was the case with Barlow anyway, from what he's said.

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:19:42 am
Like he's going to state that in a Rivals interview?

"Yeah, I just like Kansas because it'll be easy for me to start.  I'm afraid of competition and there are some really good WRs at Arkansas.  I just felt like I wasn't good enough to get any playing time at Arkansas, so I chose an also ran in Kansas, where I can get some early playing time."

Uh...kids mention playing time as a factor in their recruitment/commitment all the time.  Your hyperbole aside, it's just a fact of life. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 01:22:44 am
Uh...kids mention playing time as a factor in their recruitment/commitment all the time.  Your hyperbole aside, it's just a fact of life. 

Not the ones that actually don't want to sound like a big PUS........meow.

PittsJay

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 13, 2008, 01:24:54 am
Not the ones that actually don't want to sound like a big PUS........meow.

Well, that's...interesting, I guess.

passinghog

Quote from: PittsJay on August 13, 2008, 01:20:58 am
Again, I just have to ask...how do you know that's what was driving Barlow's decision?

I was a student at the U of A during the recruitment of both Ryan Mallett and Mitch Mustain, and I distinctly remember reports indicating that one of the factors in Mallett avoiding Arkansas initially was the fact that the depth chart included Mitch - another five-star QB prospect only a year ahead of him.  Is Ryan Mallett not a "stud"?

Even if the depth chart does influence some kids, sometimes it's just plain ol' common sense at work.  And it doesn't seem like that was the case with Barlow anyway, from what he's said.

I guess should have been more clear with that one. Look at the positions that need freshman to redshirt; QB is by far the hardest one to come in as a true freshman and play. Stud or not.
But since you used the Mallett situation, the offensive played a strong part in his decision as well.

I can go back to Percy Harvin. Florida was loaded at WR, but he still went there. If you are a stud freshman and play a position where skill matters more than experience, the best players will play. period. Jimmy Clausen and Dane Crist at ND ring a bell? You named an exception, but the overwhelming majority of the time, if you are good enough, you will play.