Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corruption at Memphis State

Started by The Realist, April 23, 2008, 04:58:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on May 02, 2008, 04:53:54 pm

What you think it really is is just a city with high crime. If it was just a city with high crime, I dont think they would have had the Tyson Lewis boxing match there. I am not going to deny its a dangerous place, but just because some parts are dangerous doesn't make it "Turdville". It has a great tradition and Germantown which is part of the greater Memphis area was voted one of the top places in the south to live.
Ever heard of demographics?  There is a reason they held the Tyson Lewis fight there lol
And you can say that about several neighborhoods in TN.  Brentwood, Franklin, Germantown....but only one of those has to deal with the downsides of Memphis.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Realist on May 02, 2008, 02:15:48 pm
I have posted that picture before.  It's been up for over a year.  I was in that frat house when the picture was taken. 
And I do know a lot of Memphis.  I am from Nashville and have been there plenty.  There are a few areas of Memphis that are good suburban areas as I said but trying to claim that Memphis is something better is ignorant bias on your part.  I'm sure your partial to the place you live or grew up but you don't have the opportunity to look at it from the outside and see it for what it really is.

You are young, as you are in college. You are from Nashville. Not living in Memphis, you cannot know much, if anything, about either the urban or suburban areas of Memphis. Live here for 24 years as I have then get back to us on what is good and bad about Memphis. You're too young to know much about anything.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Realist

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 03, 2008, 09:42:54 am
You are young, as you are in college. You are from Nashville. Not living in Memphis, you cannot know much, if anything, about either the urban or suburban areas of Memphis. Live here for 24 years as I have then get back to us on what is good and bad about Memphis. You're too young to know much about anything.
You're right.  Because you have to be 50 and living in a town for 25 years before you know anything.  Good logic. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Realist on May 03, 2008, 12:59:12 pm
You're right.  Because you have to be 50 and living in a town for 25 years before you know anything.  Good logic. 
He does have a good point.  I would trust a 20 year practicing doctor with a proven track record over a first year med student any day of the week.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The Realist

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 03, 2008, 01:30:54 pm
He does have a good point.  I would trust a 20 year practicing doctor with a proven track record over a first year med student any day of the week.
"
But to discredit everyone who doesn't have "20 years of experience" is a bit naive.  I have had plenty of experience in and around Memphis to get a general idea of the city.  He may like it more and that's why he has stayed.  I do not feel the same way about it.  I would much rather live in Memphis than a bunch of cities/towns in Tennessee.  He is the one who took exception to me posting a truth about Memphis basketball.  I didn't convey my feelings about the city to begin with.  Just passed on something about their basketball team without bias. 
Childs, Gregory.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Realist on May 03, 2008, 02:04:44 pm
"
But to discredit everyone who doesn't have "20 years of experience" is a bit naive.  I have had plenty of experience in and around Memphis to get a general idea of the city.  He may like it more and that's why he has stayed.  I do not feel the same way about it.  I would much rather live in Memphis than a bunch of cities/towns in Tennessee.  He is the one who took exception to me posting a truth about Memphis basketball.  I didn't convey my feelings about the city to begin with.  Just passed on something about their basketball team without bias. 
The truth according to you is not the same as the "truth".  It is your opinion of the truth and rumors of what you might or might not have heard from people who might or might not have actually seen something.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Buck Brewer

Memphis is a craphole, I've got over 30 years of personal Memphis experience under my belt. The only folks that defend Memphis are trying to justify why they still live there. Memphians talk bad about Memphis but its like when you can talk about family but when someone else does you get all huffy. Again, Memphis is a craphole.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Realist on May 03, 2008, 12:59:12 pm

I know I am right. I do not need a teenager to confirm it. Thanks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Albert Einswine

I love Memphis!  You just have to know where you do and do not belong.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 06, 2008, 10:46:36 am
I love Memphis!  You just have to know where you do and do not belong.

And isn't that true of any half way major metro city...LR, Dallas, Jackson, Ms., Memphis, St. Louis, et al?

Pork Twain

Quote from: SherlockHog on May 05, 2008, 05:33:56 pm
Memphis is a craphole, I've got over 30 years of personal Memphis experience under my belt. The only folks that defend Memphis are trying to justify why they still live there. Memphians talk bad about Memphis but its like when you can talk about family but when someone else does you get all huffy. Again, Memphis is a craphole.
That can be said of any big city.  Little Rock is not that far off when it comes to crime and in years past has ranked higher than Memphis.  If it is such a craphole and you have 30 years experience there, what does that say about you?

Darren DeLoach

tiger high has and will forever be a very corrupt sports program. i lived there 25 years and personally know several former players and coaches. the city is only topped by new orleans in it's "roughness". i loved memphis while i lived there, but once i moved away--i saw the city for what it was.

someone earlier said "everyone cheats" and this is true on some level. but tiger high has a long sordid history of under the table shenanigans---in basketball and football (as sad as that is).

and despite this, they are really nothing historically on the national scene. they stick their head up every 15-20 years or so and make a little noise, only to quickly be reprimanded by the ncaa or they falter due to continued controversy.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on May 02, 2008, 01:26:42 pm

I believe that is Mr. Beverly and Mr. Washington? Arkanas and Memphis aren't that different. Everyone cheats. Get over it.

I agree. These walk on players are also taken care of.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 06, 2008, 12:12:51 pm
And isn't that true of any half way major metro city...LR, Dallas, Jackson, Ms., Memphis, St. Louis, et al?

Absolutely.  I now live 25 minutes from downtown Indianapolis.  It's a great city, too,  but I don't stray from downtown more than 3 blocks in any direction.

I know my place and I won't ever have any problems there.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RZRBack_FAN

Defend it all you want its one of the last places on earth i would raise my family.

Just because people think your city sucks gives you no right to attack their inteligence.
Plus it only makes you look dumb.

Back to the topic, Does it really matter if they cheat like one poster above said they poke their head out every 10 or 15 years and make alittle splash. They will fall back into the abyss of non existense before long. Still have 0 NC and not much of a history to speak of. All they have is basketball, the will never win a NC and as far s Football goes They are one of the worst programs in the country.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ChargerHog on May 07, 2008, 06:16:11 am
Defend it all you want its one of the last places on earth i would raise my family.

Just because people think your city sucks gives you no right to attack their inteligence.
Plus it only makes you look dumb.

Back to the topic, Does it really matter if they cheat like one poster above said they poke their head out every 10 or 15 years and make alittle splash. They will fall back into the abyss of non existense before long. Still have 0 NC and not much of a history to speak of. All they have is basketball, the will never win a NC and as far s Football goes They are one of the worst programs in the country.

You're the one sounding like a petty, irrational fool with your venomous comments about U of M and the city of Memphis.

As for a little splash by U of M...they've got as many FF's as U of A does and in last 3 seasons, they've been to the Elite 8 twice and the championship game this year. Arkansas has never made Elite Eight or better 3 years in a row.

RZRBack_FAN

So your going to brag about Elite 8 appearences?  HAHAHA.

I dont even have to respond to that.

Like i said You have 0 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!

Nobody gives a crap about Runner ups and Elite 8's. You dont even want to try and compare the U of A and Thug U. Your history cant touch ours. Ive told you before whenever you want to come take a look at what a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY looks like we have one you can look at.
Remind me again about your football, baseball, and track programs how many runnerups and mean nothing games have they won.

Killean

Um..

Memphis doesn't have as many final four appearances as Arkansas..

Arkansas has been to the Final Four 6 Times.

Memphis has been 3 times and that's INCLUDING an appearance that was vacated for using ineligible players.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Doyle Hograves

I won't even let my wife stop for gas in Memphis when she's going to Georgia. Not even in the daylight. She fills up before she goes through there.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ChargerHog on May 07, 2008, 08:00:45 am
So your going to brag about Elite 8 appearences?  HAHAHA.

I dont even have to respond to that.

Like i said You have 0 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!

Nobody gives a crap about Runner ups and Elite 8's. You dont even want to try and compare the U of A and Thug U. Your history cant touch ours. Ive told you before whenever you want to come take a look at what a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY looks like we have one you can look at.
Remind me again about your football, baseball, and track programs how many runnerups and mean nothing games have they won.

No one gives a crap about teams that either don't make the NCAAT at all or have won 1 NCAAT game in last 10 years. NC for Hogs - 1; NC for U of M: 0. Wow. I'm impressed.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ArkieRebel on May 07, 2008, 08:05:03 am
I won't even let my wife stop for gas in Memphis when she's going to Georgia. Not even in the daylight. She fills up before she goes through there.

Gas was almost always 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper in West Memphis, anyway.  I haven't made that run in over 3 years, but I never bought gas in Memphis just because of price.

Would you let your wife go with friends to the Orpheum to watch an off-Broadway performance?  Would you let her go down to Beale St?  How about Wolfchase Mall or the Oak Court Mall?  Peabody Place?

There are so many nice things in Memphis that are safe.  Just stay off of Crump!

HognotinMemphis

Ignorance is bliss.

Dropkick

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 07, 2008, 08:30:50 am
Ignorance is bliss.
You must be very happy. Shouldn't your name be TigerinMemphis? Judging from your comments you don't really sound like much of a Hog fan. One question, you live in Memphis, do you carry a gun for protection?

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 07, 2008, 08:30:50 am
Ignorance is bliss.

And carelessness is death in Memphis. For the record though, the route she travels is from I-40 to Highway 78. I think Hwy 78 is Lamar Avenue in town. Whatever it is, it seems pretty dirty to me...  Is this the "good" side of Memphis?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

RZRBack_FAN

May 07, 2008, 01:13:15 pm #74 Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:15:34 pm by ChargerHog
Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 07, 2008, 08:29:46 am
No one gives a crap about teams that either don't make the NCAAT at all or have won 1 NCAAT game in last 10 years. NC for Hogs - 1; NC for U of M: 0. Wow. I'm impressed.
Your a Hog fan in Memphis that doesnt give a crap about the HOGS. Boy you show just how dumb you are everytime you post.
That 1 National Championship is more than your Boy CAL could get for THUG U. He just CHOKEd it away and you still have 0. I understand your anger and dissapointment I would be in denial to if i had to live in that City and cheer for such a MEANINGLESS program.

As far as History goes and you trying to compare Arkansas and Memphis its not even close. Your comment about Memphis having just as many FF as U of A again shows your inteligence. Arkansas has 6 and Memphis has 3 Thats not "just as many" as you would say. Must be that fine Memphis Edumacation you got.

Arkansas

NCAA Tourney Bids 30
Overall Tourney Record 40-29
1 NCAA Championship, 1994
1 NCAA Runner-up, 1995
6 NCAA Final Four, 1941, 1945, 1978, 1990, 1994, 1995
4 Regional Finals, 1949, 1958, 1979,1991
4 Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16) 1996, 1993, 1983, 1981
8 Second Round, 2008, 1999, 1998, 1992, 1989, 1985, 1984, 1982
7 First Round, 2007, 2006, 2001, 2000, 1988, 1980, 1977

1 SEC Tourney Championship
2 SEC Conference  Championships
6 Southwest Conference Championships
22 Southwest Conference regular season championships

Ill let you do the work of Getting What little History Memphis has and posting it. I would do it but there is really no need. Its like Comparing Michael Jordan to Gary Ervin.

You seem to Keep Dodgeing my questions of Your Football, Baseball, and Track Pograms. For someone who is so proud and loves Memphis so much you should Brag about the other Programs to. Fill me in on all the Runner Ups and Rich Tradition they have as well.                   

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ArkieRebel on May 07, 2008, 10:53:38 am
And carelessness is death in Memphis. For the record though, the route she travels is from I-40 to Highway 78. I think Hwy 78 is Lamar Avenue in town. Whatever it is, it seems pretty dirty to me...  Is this the "good" side of Memphis?

Lamar Ave.? Lamar is like LR's old 9th street...hookers, et al. If you drive Lamar, you are obviously not driving any where near the nicer parts of town. That is pure commercial area and poor commercial at that.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ChargerHog on May 07, 2008, 01:13:15 pm
Your a Hog fan in Memphis that doesnt give a crap about the HOGS. Boy you show just how dumb you are everytime you post.
That 1 National Championship is more than your Boy CAL could get for THUG U. He just CHOKEd it away and you still have 0. I understand your anger and dissapointment I would be in denial to if i had to live in that City and cheer for such a MEANINGLESS program.

As far as History goes and you trying to compare Arkansas and Memphis its not even close. Your comment about Memphis having just as many FF as U of A again shows your inteligence. Arkansas has 6 and Memphis has 3 Thats not "just as many" as you would say. Must be that fine Memphis Edumacation you got.

Arkansas

NCAA Tourney Bids 30
Overall Tourney Record 40-29
1 NCAA Championship, 1994
1 NCAA Runner-up, 1995
6 NCAA Final Four, 1941, 1945, 1978, 1990, 1994, 1995
4 Regional Finals, 1949, 1958, 1979,1991
4 Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16) 1996, 1993, 1983, 1981
8 Second Round, 2008, 1999, 1998, 1992, 1989, 1985, 1984, 1982
7 First Round, 2007, 2006, 2001, 2000, 1988, 1980, 1977

1 SEC Tourney Championship
2 SEC Conference  Championships
6 Southwest Conference Championships
22 Southwest Conference regular season championships

Ill let you do the work of Getting What little History Memphis has and posting it. I would do it but there is really no need. Its like Comparing Michael Jordan to Gary Ervin.

You seem to Keep Dodgeing my questions of Your Football, Baseball, and Track Pograms. For someone who is so proud and loves Memphis so much you should Brag about the other Programs to. Fill me in on all the Runner Ups and Rich Tradition they have as well.                   

You are the one who is fired up and mad. I couldn't care less. We are not talking about every sport known to man here. We are talking about basketball. You have forgotten what forum you are in. Extend this to any subject that makes you feel good about yourself though.

For the last decade or so, U of Memphis basketball program has been at the tip top of the game nationally. Arkansas has been out of the top 25 so long until this year, I can't even tell you the last time they were ranked...1996 maybe?

Get current and get back to me.

RZRBack_FAN

May 07, 2008, 05:42:10 pm #77 Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:45:44 pm by ChargerHog
Get a National Championship and get back to me.

By the way all you have to do is pm a Mod to change your name. im sure most HOG fans here would agree you are clearly a THUG U fan and dont deserve the Hog part of your name.

I like how you conviniently omitted your little WE HAVE JUST AS MANY FF AS YOU COMMENT. At least be a man and admit when you are wrong. More than likely you arent capable of that though. Arkansas 6 Thug U 3.

Hawgrox

Memphis is "Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of Rock and Roll"...or is it "Home of Rock and Roll and Birthplace of the Blues"? I can't keep up with all these things....

DMacIsASaint

That is one of the most stuborn and hardheaded things I have ever heard. You think the enitre city is confest terrible crime?

And its very possible to be a hog fan in memphis and be a memphis fan too. People on here hate Memphis so much. Yall need to quit hating just to hate and using corruption as your excuse to b*itch and complain. Any of yall go to the World Barbeque Festival in Memphis next weekend, tell theres nothing good about the city

Dropkick

Buck Brewer

There is no safe place in MEmphis, it simply doesn't exist. Now, you can haggle over the county cities till you blue in the face but Memphis is not safe.

This week alone a cop's wife and kid were carjacked while trying to be good samaritans at an accident.
Video footage of a "Rape dat Ho" dance at school sanctioned event with no signs of staff around. Hell, King Willy even got up and said they need to start whooping the kids again. That city has run amuck, it got worse with the influx of Katrina refugees. Safty in Memphis is tall gates and securtiy systems with foot patrols and thats no guarantee. Now. if your on here defending Memphis and you live in North 'Sippi or way out east(Fayette Co even) you need to shut up cause you done fled your own damn self. If you are still holding out along the Walnut Grove/Popular corridor, kudos, but I have to question your sanity.

RZRBack_FAN

3 days later and Hog(Tiger)inmemphis still cant admit he was wrong.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: SherlockHog on May 09, 2008, 09:19:43 pm
There is no safe place in MEmphis, it simply doesn't exist. Now, you can haggle over the county cities till you blue in the face but Memphis is not safe.

This week alone a cop's wife and kid were carjacked while trying to be good samaritans at an accident.
Video footage of a "Rape dat Ho" dance at school sanctioned event with no signs of staff around. Hell, King Willy even got up and said they need to start whooping the kids again. That city has run amuck, it got worse with the influx of Katrina refugees. Safty in Memphis is tall gates and securtiy systems with foot patrols and thats no guarantee. Now. if your on here defending Memphis and you live in North 'Sippi or way out east(Fayette Co even) you need to shut up cause you done fled your own damn self. If you are still holding out along the Walnut Grove/Popular corridor, kudos, but I have to question your sanity.
They were carjacked by one of the drivers involved in the accident. He had outstanding warrants and didn't want to get arrested at the accident scene so he stole the lady's vehicle who stopped to assist.  Just a weird thing..not a case of some 3rd party preying on a good samaritan.

Table Rocker

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 10, 2008, 10:27:09 am
They were carjacked by one of the drivers involved in the accident. He had outstanding warrants and didn't want to get arrested at the accident scene so he stole the lady's vehicle who stopped to assist.  Just a weird thing..not a case of some 3rd party preying on a good samaritan.

so a good samaritan got carjacked, yeah, that was his point.

DMacIsASaint

Quote from: SherlockHog on May 09, 2008, 09:19:43 pm

If you think there is no safe place in Memphis, then you must see a black person walking around anywhere in Memphis and must assume that you are not safe.

RZRBack_FAN

May 10, 2008, 06:03:27 pm #86 Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:26:18 pm by ChargerHog
Nobody said anything about Black people or white people or pink yellow or whatever. Simply said Memphis is a Crime Infested Ghetto. Has Nothing to do with race.

bobcat ball

May 10, 2008, 07:56:14 pm #87 Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:57:55 pm by bobcat ball
Takes a thug to coach Thugs and as far as sneaky coaches go Cal fits right in at Memphis there is no doubt about that.
WOO PIG

jkcrunch

May 10, 2008, 08:35:16 pm #88 Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:39:39 pm by jkcrunch
Quote from: ArkieRebel on April 30, 2008, 10:53:32 am
I guarantee you Memphis is ONLY a better city than Jackson, Miss.
And Pine Bluff, Compton, Detroit, Shreveport, Monroe, Birmingham, Laredo, El Paso.  These are just cities I can name from having the pleasure of doing business in.

jkcrunch

OKay I have seems some funny things in this thread.
1 the premise that we should be surprised their is corruption in Memphis.
==Did the author forget Albert Means story?==
2 HiM say Cal is a nice guy, sure he is.  Of course alot of people thought the world of John Gotti.  Even Fidel Castro was consider to be a charming person.
3 Number of poster actually believes this only goes on at Memphis
4 No one metioned brought up Nutt could be a first for Hogville

Buck Brewer

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on May 10, 2008, 03:02:48 pm
If you think there is no safe place in Memphis, then you must see a black person walking around anywhere in Memphis and must assume that you are not safe.

Its got nothing to do with black folk, however they do commit a vast majority of the crime there do to the demographics of the city.

I have lived in Memphis. I went to high school in Memphis(a city one btw) and have many friends that are black, Simply put Memphisis one of the most violent towns in all of the land. Statistics back it up. I've had cars broken into, houses burgularized, a mother mugged. It not a question of if your a victim in Memphis it's when and you pray its not an extreme act. To parapharse the neighbor of the house where a whole family was gunned down earlier this year when he was asked why he didn't report the gunshots that he heard. He simply said it was so regular to hear gunfire he didn't think anything of it. But, I like it when the white folk that have moved out to Eads or Collierville start defending Memphis. That tickles me. 

Dropkick

Quote from: SherlockHog on May 10, 2008, 11:13:58 pm
Its got nothing to do with black folk, however they do commit a vast majority of the crime there do to the demographics of the city.

I have lived in Memphis. I went to high school in Memphis(a city one btw) and have many friends that are black, Simply put Memphisis one of the most violent towns in all of the land. Statistics back it up. I've had cars broken into, houses burgularized, a mother mugged. It not a question of if your a victim in Memphis it's when and you pray its not an extreme act. To parapharse the neighbor of the house where a whole family was gunned down earlier this year when he was asked why he didn't report the gunshots that he heard. He simply said it was so regular to hear gunfire he didn't think anything of it. But, I like it when the white folk that have moved out to Eads or Collierville start defending Memphis. That tickles me. 
That should just about do it! Thanks.

UofMemphis

Quote from: The Realist on April 23, 2008, 04:58:12 pm
I was passed along this info, thought I would share it...

I only know what I've been told by allegedly in the know persons. Kin Floyd, a long time West Tenn. and Memphis high school coach, who joined the U of Memphis coaching staff under Fred Pancoast in and around 1973, remained there under Richard Williamson, and then was let go;he joined Fed Ex. He became the head of their tourist guide programs for their hub here in Memphis and at other hubs all around the US; Kin,from Vicksburg, Ms, an exOle MIss lineman, gregarious, liked by all, was rather close to Fred Smith, founder, and other Fed Ex presidents. Kin, who lived around the corner from me and was a close friend passed away 2 years ago. We visited, had coffee, etc several times a week. Thus, most of my info comes from him. He did not like it, did not approve of it, and he said most of the Fed Ex executives didn't, but this was Fred Smith's baby, a promise he himself had made to John Calipari in John's first year at Memphis as head bb coach.
The Fed Ex intern program at the time Memphis bb players started using it was approx 125. Memphis was promised approx 15 slots purely for the U of Memphis bb players. Tommy West has tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get some football players into this program. The Memphis Commercial-Appeal ran an article on the program and the NCAA's investigation and subsequent finding of no violations.
The person placed in charge of the Fed Ex program is a strong U of Memphis bb supporter, becomes friends,and associates with John Calipari. The NCAA has NO subpoena power. Thus, the interns are paid according to the hours the Fed Ex supervisor lets the interns turn in. During the bb off season, the bb players will come to the Fed Ex Hub 3-4 times on Friday nights, dressed in coats and ties, carrying brief cases, etc. I have heard varying sums of money these interns are paid but $15,000-$20,000 seems to be the number I've heard most. Willie Kemp is in a fraternity and several of the Memphis football players in his frat, says Willie says he gets $25,000. Thus, unless and until one of the recepients talks and agrees he got paid for doing no work, there's no violation which can be proved. In talking to other coaches this Fed Ex intern program at Memphis, taking care of the bb players on scholarship, seems to be quite unique to the U of Memphis.

LOL...so explain this:

how is it a violation if the NCAA says we can do it???

how is Cal cheating if he got the program approved by the NCAA???

and if it's so illegal, how come no one has said anything for the last 4 years??? (that's how long the intern program has been around, we don't hide it, it's all out in the open)

Cal and Fred Smith had a great idea...it also conforms to NCAA guidelines...if you don't like it...email Myles Brand at the NCAA.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on April 28, 2008, 07:48:06 pm
I have a friend that goes to Memphis and plays football.  He told me when you drive by their bball practice facility, almost every player is getting out of a lexus or cadillac.  All new model luxury cars.

Chance McGrady has a 70,000 dollar Lexus LX and a Cadillac Escalade...both of those were given to him by his brother, Tracy McGrady of the Houston Rockets...

DaJuan Wagner also rolled around in a Cadillac Escalade...his was provided by his father, ex-NBA player Milt Wagner.

Derrick Rose rented a car while in Memphis...

the only other player with a nice car was Jeremy Hunt...he had a blue Mustang GT he was leasing.

memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

Dropkick

Who cares what the Tigers drive? What do the Jayhawks drive? They are the champs!

termite

I worked for a large furniture chain that opened 2 stores in Memphis many years ago. We had to shut them both down because of employees stealing our inventory. It is the WORST location to do business in that I have ever seen!! Memphis is a dying city!

Jeffcphog

Quote from: SherlockHog on May 10, 2008, 11:13:58 pm

My 87 year old Aunt, who just lost her husband about four months ago was attacked and robbed at Oak Court Mall last Saturday.  He took her purse and hurt her pretty bad.  She lives off Poplar Street in a "good" section of Memphis.  Her house has been broken in three times, twice while she was in the house.  I still cannot get her to move.  Most of her friends have been victims of crimes in the City of Memphis.  Don't tell me Pine Bluff is as bad, because I have lived in both places and it is not.

DMacIsASaint

Quote from: Dropkick on May 15, 2008, 09:10:17 am
Who cares what the Tigers drive? What do the Jayhawks drive? They are the champs!

not so fast my friend...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3399372

Cresthog

Look at all the people here criticizing the city of Memphis when Little Rock is known worldwide for having one of the worst gang problems in the world. I guess nobody here remember the HBO documentary series "Bangin in the Rock." Little Rock is basically where the bloods and the crypts became famous.

Cresthog

Quote from: bobcat ball on May 10, 2008, 07:56:14 pm
Takes a thug to coach Thugs and as far as sneaky coaches go Cal fits right in at Memphis there is no doubt about that.

Bet you werent saying that when we tried to hire him last season.