Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corruption at Memphis State

Started by The Realist, April 23, 2008, 04:58:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: termite on May 15, 2008, 12:30:30 pm
I worked for a large furniture chain that opened 2 stores in Memphis many years ago. We had to shut them both down because of employees stealing our inventory. It is the WORST location to do business in that I have ever seen!! Memphis is a dying city!
What furniture chain? Why would you hire employees who steal your inventory? Pretty stupid hires. You deserved to be shut down for the stupidity.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jkcrunch

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 16, 2008, 10:21:07 pm
What furniture chain? Why would you hire employees who steal your inventory? Pretty stupid hires. You deserved to be shut down for the stupidity.

Obvisouly forgot to look at the box on the application where it ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony.

Jeffcphog

Quote from: Cresthog on May 16, 2008, 06:31:37 pm
Look at all the people here criticizing the city of Memphis when Little Rock is known worldwide for having one of the worst gang problems in the world. I guess nobody here remember the HBO documentary series "Bangin in the Rock." Little Rock is basically where the bloods and the crypts became famous.

Nobody has said that Little Rock, Pine Bluff or anywhere else are clean cities.  I am just saying Memphis is awful because of expierence.  By the way, I have also lived in Washington, D.C and felt safer there than in Memphis.  Also, I believe that it was LA that made the Bloods and Crips famous.

iotascream

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 16, 2008, 10:21:07 pm

It is obvious to all that you could do a better job of running a furniture chain, AND that your opinions are the only correct ones. Has your skin always been so thin?

Blue/Grey

May 17, 2008, 08:29:18 pm #104 Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:46:41 pm by Blue/Grey
i was passed this info.. lol such BS that was posted on hoopsville months ago by tndud and repeated by another dud-

Quote from: The Realist on April 23, 2008, 04:58:12 pm
I was passed along this info, thought I would share it...

I only know what I've been told by allegedly in the know persons. Kin Floyd, a long time West Tenn. and Memphis high school coach, who joined the U of Memphis coaching staff under Fred Pancoast in and around 1973, remained there under Richard Williamson, and then was let go;he joined Fed Ex. He became the head of their tourist guide programs for their hub here in Memphis and at other hubs all around the US; Kin,from Vicksburg, Ms, an exOle MIss lineman, gregarious, liked by all, was rather close to Fred Smith, founder, and other Fed Ex presidents. Kin, who lived around the corner from me and was a close friend passed away 2 years ago. We visited, had coffee, etc several times a week. Thus, most of my info comes from him. He did not like it, did not approve of it, and he said most of the Fed Ex executives didn't, but this was Fred Smith's baby, a promise he himself had made to John Calipari in John's first year at Memphis as head bb coach.
The Fed Ex intern program at the time Memphis bb players started using it was approx 125. Memphis was promised approx 15 slots purely for the U of Memphis bb players. Tommy West has tried hard, unsuccessfully, to get some football players into this program. The Memphis Commercial-Appeal ran an article on the program and the NCAA's investigation and subsequent finding of no violations.
The person placed in charge of the Fed Ex program is a strong U of Memphis bb supporter, becomes friends,and associates with John Calipari. The NCAA has NO subpoena power. Thus, the interns are paid according to the hours the Fed Ex supervisor lets the interns turn in. During the bb off season, the bb players will come to the Fed Ex Hub 3-4 times on Friday nights, dressed in coats and ties, carrying brief cases, etc. I have heard varying sums of money these interns are paid but $15,000-$20,000 seems to be the number I've heard most. Willie Kemp is in a fraternity and several of the Memphis football players in his frat, says Willie says he gets $25,000. Thus, unless and until one of the recepients talks and agrees he got paid for doing no work, there's no violation which can be proved. In talking to other coaches this Fed Ex intern program at Memphis, taking care of the bb players on scholarship, seems to be quite unique to the U of Memphis.

Blue/Grey

Quote from: ChargerHog on May 10, 2008, 06:03:27 pm
Nobody said anything about Black people or white people or pink yellow or whatever. Simply said Memphis is a Crime Infested Ghetto. Has Nothing to do with race.

little rock is the armpit of the US

oldfart

if the world was a horse and you lifted up the tail you would find memphis.....

Blue/Grey

May 17, 2008, 09:45:56 pm #107 Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:54:15 pm by Blue/Grey
Quote from: oldfart on May 17, 2008, 09:12:15 pm

......and after it takes a dump in your face you'd be a razorback-

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Blue/Grey on May 17, 2008, 09:45:56 pm
......and after it takes a dump in your face you'd be a razorback-

hey blue,

i will not join in the name calling, but i have known several of the memphis basketball players over the years and i promise you--that program is unlv running rebel dirty.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

HognotinMemphis

May 18, 2008, 06:43:14 am #109 Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:48:37 am by HoginMemphis
Quote from: iotascream on May 17, 2008, 12:53:43 pm
It is obvious to all that you could do a better job of running a furniture chain, AND that your opinions are the only correct ones. Has your skin always been so thin?
Well, I have been running a retail store here for 12 yrs now that is relatively successful. And the last 12 years haven't exactly been good for any retail, especially high end luxury items that we sell. So yeah, I could do a better job since we've not closed due to employee theft or any other reason. So no thin skin here, just stating fact.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Why would you lift up the tail of a horse? That's a weird/goofy metaphor.

Blue/Grey

got jesus huh? nice avatar for someone who likes to spread rumors and false statements -wwjd? I just love ar calling another program dirty.. pot meet kettle. You guys are so dirty you had to put out a basic ncaa rules of recruiting for dummies..

BASIC NCAA RECRUITING RULES FOR MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
• Members of the Board of Trustees are most likely, by definition, representatives of the University's athletics interests.

• The link entitled, "Know the Rules Booster Guide", describe basic rules related to representatives of the University's athletics interests, prospects and student-athletes.

• All recruiting must be done by UA-Fayetteville coaches only. This means that athletic administrators, other athletic department staff members, other University employees, boosters and trustees may not call prospects (including the prospects parents/legal guardians), write to prospects or have contact with prospects on or off campus.

• If a coach calls you and asks to bring a prospect by to meet you (i.e., at the stadium before a football game), please tell the coach that you are not permitted to have contact with prospects and therefore must respectfully decline.

• If you know of a prospective student-athlete who may be interested in attending the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, simply notify the head coach of that sport, so that the coach can take the proper steps within the rules to begin recruiting that prospect.

• In addition to not being permitted to contact the prospect, you may not contact a prospect's coach, principal or guidance counselor for purposes of evaluating the prospect.

• If you have any questions at any time as to what is/is not permissible, whether it relates to recruiting or any other issue, please feel free to contact Marvin Caston, Director for Athletics Compliance at (479) 575-6536.

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=212380

BTW the ncaa has known about our intern program at FedEx which is availible to all students for quite some time and it's still going strong- post like these make you look not only foolish but very unimformed-

If you've so connected with Memphis' players where are the facts? pretty lame to say we are as dirty as unlv and I'll add arkansas but you offer no facts, no names, nothing-  promise me what?LOL

in the past 3 years we've been to two elite8 games and the NC game and this years recruiting class will be in the top ten. Memphis ball is here to stay and your petty jealousy is showing by spreading second hand stories from the utk board. you boys are really slow if your getting info from utk, pathetic-

btw just wait until 2009 class is here .. like i said Tiger ball is here to stay

2009 Players Considering - Memphis
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS NOTES
Xavier Henry Shooting Guard 6-6 205 Putnam City H.S. (OK) SG #1 92 Undeclared   
Lance Stephenson Point Guard 6-5 200 Lincoln H.S. (NY) PG #1 92 Undeclared   
Leslie McDonald Shooting Guard 6-5 200 Briarcrest H.S. (TN) SG #3 91 Undeclared   
Nolan Dennis Shooting Guard 6-5 185 Richland Hills H.S. (TX) SG #5 91 Undeclared   
Kenny Boynton Shooting Guard 6-2 180 American Heritage H.S. (FL) SG #6 91 Undeclared   
Noel Johnson Small Forward 6-6 190 Fayette County H.S. (GA) SF #3 91 Undeclared   
Christian Watford Small Forward 6-8 215 Shades Valley H.S. (AL) SF #4 90 Undeclared   
Karron Johnson Power Forward 6-7 225 Mount Zion Christian Academy (NC) PF #14 88 Undeclared   
Durand Scott Small Forward 6-4 175 Rice H.S. (NY) SF #13 86 Undeclared   
Glenn Bryant Power Forward 6-7 190 Oak Hill Academy (VA) PF #23 83 Undeclared   

and they don't even have J Wall listed and he's very interested in the Tigers.. for those of you not so good in math, that's over 10% of the top 100 players.. considering the Tigers.

Quote from: semohawg on May 17, 2008, 10:21:34 pm
hey blue,

i will not join in the name calling, but i have known several of the memphis basketball players over the years and i promise you--that program is unlv running rebel dirty.

DMacIsASaint

oh really? Have you seen eastern Arkansas? Go to memphis in may in tom lee park and look or actually smell whats across the river and tell me what you find..

Dropkick

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on May 18, 2008, 10:47:01 pm
oh really? Have you seen eastern Arkansas? Go to memphis in may in tom lee park and look or actually smell whats across the river and tell me what you find..
I think that smell actually originates on the Tn. side of the river.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Dropkick on May 19, 2008, 08:49:05 am
I think that smell actually originates on the Tn. side of the river.

yes--a processing plant on presidents island in memphis. i think it is a medical waste site.

but east ark is pretty bad, i should know --wmhs 1987.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Cresthog on May 16, 2008, 06:31:37 pm
Look at all the people here criticizing the city of Memphis when Little Rock is known worldwide for having one of the worst gang problems in the world. I guess nobody here remember the HBO documentary series "Bangin in the Rock." Little Rock is basically where the bloods and the crypts became famous.

Actually New Orleans is where the crypts became famous - those are the above ground vaults they bury people in.  Bloods and Crips became famous in Los Angeles.

DMacIsASaint

Quote from: semohawg on May 19, 2008, 11:18:17 am

yes--a processing plant on presidents island in memphis. i think it is a medical waste site.

but east ark is pretty bad, i should know --wmhs 1987.

Im afraid President Island isnt a waste site, but thats beside the point. And the point is when I drive through west memphis on my way to memphis the smell of sh*t flows through my air conditioner.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on May 19, 2008, 01:21:30 pm
Im afraid President Island isnt a waste site, but thats beside the point. And the point is when I drive through west memphis on my way to memphis the smell of sh*t flows through my air conditioner.

i don't know--they found 10 bodies there 1980's.

my dad was an engineer for cargill on pres. island for 27 years.

the smell was not west memphis but some form of refinery along the river in tenn.

i tell you what---i will call home and get the real scoop.

and why does any of this matter?

memphis has and will always be a decent basketball program. sometimes a great one. it does have a sordid history of scandal, and it is not an all time great program (top 20), but under calipari they may become a yearly threat.

the city itself is known for its corruption, bigotry, crime, bbq, music, and elvis.

Dropkick

I may have started this by refering to Memphis as a cess pool. I would like to retract that statement after finding out I have offended several cess pools.

razorbak

Calipari built up UMass by cheating. And MS fans indignant about such accusations? Give me a break.

Two words -- Dana Kirk.  Case closed. 

And, by the way, Adolph Rupp was as dirty as they come too.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

Jim Harris

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 28, 2008, 12:58:37 pm
This is silly... you guys are clueless. By the way, Calipari is now the 2nd highest paid college bball coach in the country - 2nd only to Billy Donovan at Fla.

Cal is one of the 3 or 4 best combo recruiters/coaches in the world and he's worth every penny. Great guy.

Lot of folks would say Al Capone was a great guy.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

RZRBack_FAN

Its still a stuff Hole i dont carewhat anybody says. They could win the national Championship for the Next 50 years and memphis would still be a stuff Hole. Fayetville's landfield is nicer than anything Memphis has. Its just a matter of time that Cals cheating ways catch up to him, it took a while at UMASS but they finally caught him.

I hope we never stoop low enough to hire someone with the low integrity and scandal filled background such as Cal.

HogFaninMemphis

Coming from a Memphis resident, I can't argue the fact that our city's crime is terrible.
For those of you who don't know, we may also have the worst mayor/city council of any city in the country (yes, including New Orleans).
Presidents Island is an industrial park and it does stink sometimes.  Also, some people hunt on Presidents Island when the Wildlife Management Agency allows for it.
The oil refinery that some of you are thinking of is a bit south of downtown and it doesn't stink.  There's a waste treatment plant that does stink down there, so many people get the thought that the refinery itself is causing the smell, or so I'm told.
Until Memphis is proven guilty, I'm not willing to throw Calipari and the rest of the athletic department under the bus.
And yes, I am a Memphis fan.
BUT THE HOGS COMES FIRST!
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hawgsav1

I actually like Memphis as a city.  However, I hope Calipari's program and that whole rotten stinkhole Tiger High burns down to the ground.  Then they can ship the remains of Tiger High to Iraq. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

cosmodrum

My wife's cousin was murdered in his own furniture store in Memphis. After a concert at the Pyramid, I was waiting on the steps for my dad to pick up me and a friend. While we waited, we saw a couple get mugged right on the sidewalk across the street. One time my wife and I were driving through Memphis and we stopped just south of downtown to get gas (I was asleep when my wife decided to stop, or I would have told her to keep going), and a fire fighter told my wife to get back in the car and drive away.

I had a friend get murdered here in Conway Arkansas while working the graveyard shift at a Satterfield gas station so he could pay his own way through college.

I had a friend get shot in the back of the head in LR (he was from Sherwood and went to Syvan Hills with me). They found his body behind a Church's chicken with his wallet open and laying on his chest with a picture of his baby showing.

My family is from North KC. No further discussion needed there.

All urban areas are littered with crime. It's a simple fact. You have to be aware of your surroundings and stay out of the bad areas. I've worked in LR and go there all of the time. I grew up just outside of that town. I've never been robbed, beaten, or shot. Why? Because you won't find me on Asher, South University, Roosevelt, or any street that's a number.

Memphis is actually a fun city, if you know where to go. Not just Beale St. They have a great zoo, great food, a beautiful minor league ballpark, etc. That said, it can be very dangerous, just like any other city. Know where you're going. Don't stop in Orange Mound, for example.
Go away, batin'