Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Shooter" McBride Signs with Razorbacks (Officially)

Started by Calvin N Hawgs, April 28, 2005, 04:21:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calvin N Hawgs

From Hogwired 

Shooter McBride Signs with Razorbacks
Head coach Stan Heath announced the signing of 6-6 shooting guard Ryan McBride on Thursday.

UA Sports Information- Thursday, April 28, 2005 ---
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Ryan McBride, a 6-6, 190-pound junior college shooting guard, has signed a national letter of intent to play at Arkansas next season, head coach Stan Heath announced on Thursday.
    As a sophomore at Monterey (Calif.) Peninsula College, he led the Coast Conference in scoring with 21.2 points per game while adding 9.5 rebounds and connecting on 46.2 percent of his three-pointers, helping the Lobos go 14-13.
    As a freshman, he averaged 15.9 points and 5.7 rebounds while leading the Coast Conference with a .533 three-point percentage. He was also second in the league with an .852 free throw percentage.
    McBride earned All-Coast Conference honors for Coach Blake Spiering both seasons at Monterey.
    "One area we wanted to address for next year was three-point shooting and Ryan McBride's numbers were very impressive," Heath says. "We feel like he can give us a boost. He's also a good player in other areas such as passing, defense and rebounding."
    McBride signed with Arkansas after also considering Pittsburgh, Kansas State and Tennessee. He was also recruited by Charlotte, Oregon State, Southern Illinois, Southern Mississippi, Utah State and San Jose State, among others.
    McBride prepped at Manual High School in Denver.
    "As soon as we get him on campus, we'll get him involved in our weight training, playing with the guys and continue working on his fundamentals," Heath says.
    McBride is the third signee in this year's class for the Razorbacks. During the fall signing period, the Hogs added 6-2, 175-pound combo guard Sean McCurdy of West Port, Conn., and 6-9, 235-pound forward Cyrus McGowan of Meridian, Miss.
    McCurdy missed his senior season with a broken bone in his right foot, but averaged 15.0 points and 8.0 assists as a junior. Playing for legendary coach Bob Hurley, he helped St. Anthony (N.J.) High School go 30-0 and end the year ranked No. 2 in the nation by USA Today.
    McGowan led Meridian High School to the Mississippi Class 5A state finals and a 28-9 record with averages of 11.1 points, 12.3 rebounds, 4.0 blocked shots and 2.0 assists per game. He earned second-team All-Mississippi honors by the Jackson Clarion-Ledger and prior to his senior season was rated the third-best prospect in the state by Hoop Scoop.
    Arkansas has one other scholarship available which may or may not be used.

ReturnToDynasty?

Reading about where our signees were also recruited is a sad reminder that we are a mid-level program.  Sad.  Truth hurts. :(

hogmary

Mid-level program?  In your dreams.  Doesn't matter what the players can do if they don't get any coaching or direction.

Geohul

Finally a frickin' guy who can fill it up from outside.  I think this is what our team needed last season badly.  Besides a guy who can break a dang full-court press.  I hope this guy turns out to be atleast 1/10 the shooter Pat Bradley was.  If so he's GOTTA help out a little. Also, seriolusly next season I'm not renewing my season tickets if I don't see Townes get the ball in the paint at least 15 times a game.  Cmon Heath gotta be a Tourney year.