Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Someone tell me

Started by Anon2, April 27, 2005, 01:59:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anon2

why Wally won't write a column on Matt since the draft.  He wrote about Harris today.

Flatfoot

He wrote his column on Sunday about MJ
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

idochog

You wouldnt want the draft story to get in the way of ANOTHER P.A.R.K. story would you?  Isnt about time for Wally's annual "where I ate while I was at the Kentucky derby" article?
I love Jesus!

Anon2

Wally's column Sunday was about Joe Johnson and how stupid the Celtics were.  Bob Holt had the article about Matt.  Wally hasn't mentioned Matt.

JIHawg

Good observation.  On the day after Matt got drafted, Wally wrote a column about Joe Johnson.  The next day, the DemGaz carried a column from the Orlando Sentinal which was derogatory of Matt.  And now, a column about some bit player from a directional school in Louisiana. 

Here's my guess-Matt and Dad are still pissed at Wally, maybe they didn't let the DemGaz boys in the home during the draft.  Just a hunch.

junkyardhog

Here's my guess: Matt is not a razorback anymore.

While I love Matt as an ex-player, he is shortly going to become not newsworthy.  Let's face the facts, while extremely exciting to watch, Matt is gone folks; get over it!

Does Wally owe Matt at least one article? Yes, but that's it. I am tired of all this pre-madonna bullshimp. It's over guys, Matt is gone. I wish him to make millions and be a pro- superstar, but he's gone!!!

IMHO: Matt and his Dad did everything to go against anything HDN coached! It started in High school when his dad moved schools to put Matt where Matt's dad wanted him. 

Would I do the same thing as Matt's Dad? Probably

Was Matt's dad overbearing and obstinate? Yes

It's funny, the negative attitude towards Matt (and yes, there is one in Arkansas), is not Matt's fault at all. It is his "crew" that has done this. Yes, I mean you Phil and Pop!!

Matt refused to be coached in the right way, and based on pure athletic ability he was able to get away with it!  That shti will not work in the NFL guys!! You mark my words!  HDN showed EXTREME patience over the whole situation and I applaud him.  I would have benched MJ's ass until everyone else stopped trying to coach him and let the staff do their darned jobs!

Systemically, tell me how Matt Jones helped the UA football program?  He caused more losses than he won (5 this year) and you guys are praising him more for his "miracles" than his accomplishments. There is a BIG difference, just ask OU, or Miami or USC what that difference is!!  We need a leader, a team player, and someone who can throw the darned ball at QB. Not a pretty boy who can run 70 yards down the field in our non-conference games or throw a hail mary and automatically be deemed a great quarterback.

He sold a helluva lot of tickets, but that's about it; you tell me what else he did?  Tell me folks, what the hell has Matt Jones done as QB except give you wood when you see him?

I'm tired of hearing how HDN didn't coach MJ! HDN tried to coach him, and MJ and his 'people' wouldn't be coached!  He could have been a phenomenal player, instead he did it his way and our program has suffered because of it!  Just tellling it like it is! ;)  So, smite away!!  Go ahead, love the player, not the program!!

QUARTERBACK SIT HERE!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Anon2

Won't smite you for your opinion but just wondering if you are related to Wally.

abq

"pre-madonna"

I can't breathe! ;D

Macgyver_Hawg

JYD, without Matt who would we have at QB that would have won?  Clark, TJ, who?

Arkansas scored enough points to win games.  I remember the defense letting us down in many games.

abq

Quote from: Anon2 on April 28, 2005, 10:47:34 am
Won't smite you for your opinion but just wondering if you are related to Wally.

No, he's just a pre-britney. ;D

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: abq on April 28, 2005, 11:35:00 am
Quote from: Anon2 on April 28, 2005, 10:47:34 am

No, he's just a pre-britney. ;D

I knew someone who was a pre-cher.

junkyardhog

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on April 28, 2005, 11:03:54 am
JYD, without Matt who would we have at QB that would have won? Clark, TJ, who?

Arkansas scored enough points to win games. I remember the defense letting us down in many games.

I have faith that someone would have emerged as a QB. Haven't they always?  Just as Matt came through in his Outing at Ole Miss, someone would have filled the void then and they will fill it this season. It just happens that way.  When you have 'superstars' in a position, it limits the exposure of other potential 'superstars'. I gurantee you there are a few on our team as we speak.

Hoggie, i thought that would get you to come out of your shell ;D

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: junkyardhog on April 28, 2005, 12:51:09 pm
I have faith that someone would have emerged as a QB. Haven't they always? Just as Matt came through in his Outing at Ole Miss, someone would have filled the void then and they will fill it this season. It just happens that way. When you have 'superstars' in a position, it limits the exposure of other potential 'superstars'. I gurantee you there are a few on our team as we speak.

Hoggie, i thought that would get you to come out of your shell ;D

No, JYD, they haven't always.  Did you watch the 2000 team at all?  Without Matt Jones we would have given up the most sacks in Div 1.

BushHawg

First of all it's not uncommon to continue pulling for a former player after they've finished their college careers.  Matt Jones will always be a Hog as will Corliss, Joe Johnson, Kenoy Kennedy, etc...

Next it's naive and inaccurate to blame losses fully on QBs.  They do it to Aaron Brooks down here in New Orleans (and I don't even like Aaron Brooks).  There are so many other considerations: the defense, the O-line, dropped passes.  Sure Matt made mistakes, as did every player at every other position.  It's just easy to blame the QB because he's the most visible.

So what did he do?  He won games for us, he kept us in a bunch of games that shouldn't have even been close, he made some unbelievably exciting plays, he stayed out of any off the field trouble, he beat Texas, he lost to Texas, he won bowl games, he played in the two longest NCAA football games in history, he fought through injury, he stayed all 4 years, he played a little receiver, he set the all-time SEC rushing record for a QB, he made things happen, he always played hard, and he represented the Hogs as a first round draft pick in the NFL draft.

Other than that he didn't do a whole lot.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: junkyardhog on April 27, 2005, 11:24:49 pm
Here's my guess: Matt is not a razorback anymore.

While I love Matt as an ex-player, he is shortly going to become not newsworthy.  Let's face the facts, while extremely exciting to watch, Matt is gone folks; get over it!

Does Wally owe Matt at least one article? Yes, but that's it. I am tired of all this pre-madonna bullshimp. It's over guys, Matt is gone. I wish him to make millions and be a pro- superstar, but he's gone!!!

IMHO: Matt and his Dad did everything to go against anything HDN coached! It started in High school when his dad moved schools to put Matt where Matt's dad wanted him. 

Would I do the same thing as Matt's Dad? Probably

Was Matt's dad overbearing and obstinate? Yes

It's funny, the negative attitude towards Matt (and yes, there is one in Arkansas), is not Matt's fault at all. It is his "crew" that has done this. Yes, I mean you Phil and Pop!!

Matt refused to be coached in the right way, and based on pure athletic ability he was able to get away with it!  That shti will not work in the NFL guys!! You mark my words!  HDN showed EXTREME patience over the whole situation and I applaud him.  I would have benched MJ's ass until everyone else stopped trying to coach him and let the staff do their darned jobs!

Systemically, tell me how Matt Jones helped the UA football program?  He caused more losses than he won (5 this year) and you guys are praising him more for his "miracles" than his accomplishments. There is a BIG difference, just ask OU, or Miami or USC what that difference is!!  We need a leader, a team player, and someone who can throw the darned ball at QB. Not a pretty boy who can run 70 yards down the field in our non-conference games or throw a hail mary and automatically be deemed a great quarterback.

He sold a helluva lot of tickets, but that's about it; you tell me what else he did? Tell me folks, what the hell has Matt Jones done as QB except give you wood when you see him?

I'm tired of hearing how HDN didn't coach MJ! HDN tried to coach him, and MJ and his 'people' wouldn't be coached! He could have been a phenomenal player, instead he did it his way and our program has suffered because of it! Just tellling it like it is! ;) So, smite away!! Go ahead, love the player, not the program!!

QUARTERBACK SIT HERE!!!!

Some of what you say has merit, but let me counter on some of this.

QuoteMatt refused to be coached in the right way, and based on pure athletic ability he was able to get away with it!

BS.  How the heck can a kid on scholarship refuse to be "coached in the right way?"  That is classic.  Coach Nutt and Dean Weber decided that if they overworked Matt's shoulder, he may not be available on Saturday.  He was "coached" to stand over and watch practice, while the other qb's took all the snaps.  Then to pacify the guy getting all the snaps,  he would be named the starter week after week.  Did Matt gripe?  No.

QuoteHe caused more losses than he won (5 this year)

The team was so lacking in talent this year, the coach had to be given a raise, and an ironclad promise that his team wouldn't be expected to win until the 2006 season for him to "get off that plane."

You think we would have been just as successful (or I assume more) had Matt not been the quarterback?  I must suggest that Stagger Lee must have thumped you on your head one too many times when you were growing up (if you kept up with your hogname's wrestling counter part you know what I'm talking about)

I realize you are entitled to your opinion.  I'm not attacking your opinion.  I didn't realize my opinion differed so much with yours, though.

junkyardhog

arthur, I commend you on knowing the basis of my name :)  , you are one hundred percent dead on. I am also VERY impressed you know of Stagger Lee.  That is who I planned on coming back as if I got banned  ;D

honestly, Matt was a good guy in spite of the off the field influences. Yes, I believe there were many who very well may have hurt his career more than they helped. Of course you couldn't tell it going 21 in the draft.

But, from my understanding, MJ and family were upset anytime it was inferred he had a shoulder problem.  Yours and the post above do have merit and are reasonabally correct.  I have a feeling the real 'truth' is somewhere in between my post and yours.  (isn't that usually the case)

I just thought it important to note the 'other side' because a lot of folks are afraid to say it for fear they will get blasted.

All being said, I will watch Jax probably more than Dallas next year. Two faced? no  Realistic? yes

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: junkyardhog on April 28, 2005, 06:54:17 pm

But, from my understanding, MJ and family were upset anytime it was inferred he had a shoulder problem. Yours and the post above do have merit and are reasonabally correct. I have a feeling the real 'truth' is somewhere in between my post and yours. (isn't that usually the case)

Just so you'll know, JYD, I am a friend of Matt's dad (can't say I've ever seen him iron any pants, oops, wrong board), but those are the truest words typed in this thread.  It does lie somewhere in the between.  I do tend to lean towards the Jones' side, but honestly, other than a few instances of disagreement, things did smooth out between both sides, so everyone is happy in the end.

The ruffled feathers over the "shoulder" angle had both sides upset.  You guess which side feared that all that talk would paint Matt as damaged goods.  Looks like being drafted as high as he did has a way of making things work out for the best.

abq

Quote from: junkyardhog on April 28, 2005, 06:54:17 pm
That is who I planned on coming back as if I got banned ;D

HA! You're not getting banned! I think you're loony sometimes, but I like you. Besides, you're my favorite pre-madonna!  ;D

junkyardhog

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully woudlnt' be banned for opinion. I don't see it happening on this board.  I see myself trying to be fair and balanced, even if it is not what I believe   ;)  And you would NEVER catch me just being a complete arsehole to anyone out of spite. Well, maybe :)   HiM really get on my nerves.  and batman. and that new guy who says he is the masturbator of all.   oh well, i digress.

While I know what pre-madonna eludes to, I have no idea where it comes from.  ;D

Is it primadonna, or before madonna the rockstar. I know that the Virgin Mary is referred to as the Madonna, but honestly does anyone know where it comes from.  Honestly, I think the first time I heard it being used was when HDN referred to a few of his players (batman) as one.

RE: Arthur, it's funny, I can see all the faults that Steve has had over Matt, I could also see myself doing them as well if it were my son.  Does it make it right though? No.

Also, all the negative connotations that I have are derived entirely from second hand info, so i really don't know what is real and what isn't.  That's why I try not to come down too hard on someone I have never met.  BUT, it is hard to ignore the extreme, over meddeling in the program of S. Jones.  Is it true? who knows, really who cares now.  MJ is a millionaire!

PorcineSublime

While I am sure that my manhood will be questioned for knowing this ::), a primadonna is the lead female ballet dancer. Just one of the many thousands of Cliff Clavin like facts I seem to have stored where something important should have gone.WPS
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

tophawg19

JYH does make some good points .matt never did learn how to carry the ball and his freelance style often hurt the offense more than it helped .lineman couldn't maintain blocks and recievers had to be careful with downfield blocking cause you never knew what MJ was going to do linemen had to be thinking all the time to avoid holding .you never knew whether to run block or pass block .
MJ sometimes made the o- line look bad when it wasn't their fault . that said he was still one exciting S.O.B .later this season we will see how much difference .the offense will be more
under control .more following the game plan .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

mikeirwin

Matt will continue to be news in Arkansas as long as his pro career looks promising.
If he were to become an all pro receiver I think the Jaguars might start rivaling the Cowboys as far as in state interest in a pro team is concerned.
All this "Matt was a mistake" stuff coming from the experts will work for Matt here in Arkansas. Razorback fans as a whole will consider this insulting and just another national dig at their program. If Matt succeeds I think you're gonna see something phenomenal in terms of the way he will be supported in this state.
The fact that there is no current Razorback in a skill position doing squat in the NFL really hurts recruiting I think.
The program needs for Matt to do something.
I would also say that there was a time when I thought Matt was merely tip toeing through the tulips of life. That's not the case anymore. The young man has grown up and when you combine his talent with a solid work ethic, watch out.
Just my opinion.

TulsaHogFan

Mike i agree with you and don't agree with you, i am calling larry to insult you and he should be here in a sec, lmao just kidding larry.

I agree that most of the state is taking the whole "matts a stretch" to be another slant on a state with a chip on its shoulder due to ESPN covereage of games, highlights, and stories.  We take him as one of the family and insulting him is like insulting us.

I disagree about players in state contributing as i think Hamiln has made some impressive statements on himself and i think Batman did ....uhh ok? your right..... lol.

I think this next year could be a great year for Arkansas sports as Shawn Andrews will be back playing, Batman will be better at CB, we had others that are playmakers as well.  And Matt, well Matt has an entire city behind him right now.

Has anyone been to the Jag boards?  I am posting hogville.net poster when i post sometimes to see if i can get away with it.  Maybe drive some traffic here.