Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nationally known program

Started by jkcrunch, April 27, 2005, 10:14:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkcrunch

This morning you guys hit it right had MJ been at OU he would have had serious Heisman and national exposure.   It is the one area where I do not see enough negative post.    The marketing of the U of A is horrible.   We had one of the best athlete to ever play in the SEC and yet we did nothing to promote him in a national market, maybe that is because we are cheap.   I will not Oregon did it right but when they plastered a big poster of Joey Harrington in NY and LA that got buzz nationally but it cost money.   No one can tell me that if we had launched some campaign two years ago that Matt would not have at least finished in the top 5 in voting especailly after national TV performances against Texas and Kentucky.  Yeah he would not have won but the boost to recruiting could be huge.   Think big time you'll be big time.

PennHOG

I seem to recall them promoting Shawn Andrews a bunch.  Jones sort of promoted himself.  I live in Pennsylvannia and I got to watch so many nationally televised games.  Why do you think UofA was on so much?  Matt Jones.

If they were not on CBS they were on ESPN.  I had the good pleasure of watching all three ESPN overtime games. 

Plus, even if they had plastered Matt Jones picture on a building on Times Square, I don't think that would change the fact that he was considered a project going form QB to WR.  If they really wanted to promote him they should have allowed him to play more at WR but then we would have won even less games last year.

Question.  Does anyone know whether Oregon funded that Joey Harrington picture in times square?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

MBAHog

Quote from: PennHOG on April 27, 2005, 10:42:28 am
I seem to recall them promoting Shawn Andrews a bunch. Jones sort of promoted himself. I live in Pennsylvannia and I got to watch so many nationally televised games. Why do you think UofA was on so much? Matt Jones.

If they were not on CBS they were on ESPN. I had the good pleasure of watching all three ESPN overtime games.

Plus, even if they had plastered Matt Jones picture on a building on Times Square, I don't think that would change the fact that he was considered a project going form QB to WR. If they really wanted to promote him they should have allowed him to play more at WR but then we would have won even less games last year.

Question. Does anyone know whether Oregon funded that Joey Harrington picture in times square?

I'm pretty sure Nike funded that.  They sponsor the Oregon football team.

Macgyver_Hawg

The key to all of this National Exposure is having a TEN win season.

In 1998, we needed to beat Miss State
In 2002, beat Kentucky or Minn - or both and you got 11
In 2003, win something in October

Ten win seasons get you respect from media (ESPN, etc), exposure, and recruits.
Bubble teams do not.

Think about our recruiting had 2002 and 2003 been back to back 10 win seasons.

WindyCityHog

hogsanity

hate to bring it up but the fact that we play 2 games or more a year in a 60year old crumbling stadium over 200 miles off campus doesnt help. 

Plus why should the athletics program be any different than the whole state.  We cant get production plants here becuase the people wont or cant put together attractive incentive plans to do so.  I have a client who wanted to bring a 400 employee mini-steel plant to Central Ar all he asked was a one year tax exemption in exchange for a 40 year commitment from him and they politicians wouldnt do it. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

junkyardhog

i'm just wondering out loud. but with 5 wins and a few stupid azz fumbles, do you think he would be Heisman material??

i agree totally on the marketing aspect though!  You can sell darn if you package it right ;)

treyschaap

War Memorial has nothing to do with it!  CBS televised the LSU game there every other year.  Arkansas has lost one game in Little Rock since 1998.

g.lynn

WMS gives credibility to the National perception that Arkansas is small time.  Ever hear of "perception becomes reality"?  The Hogs should NOT play any televised games in WMS.  It's a killer for recruiting out of state! 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Jim Harris

Quote from: g.lynn on April 27, 2005, 03:54:38 pm
WMS gives credibility to the National perception that Arkansas is small time.  Ever hear of "perception becomes reality"?  The Hogs should NOT play any televised games in WMS.  It's a killer for recruiting out of state! 

really? On TV it doesn't look much different that Notre Dame Stadium, if the don't mention that only 50,000 are there. Of course, even with a stadium expansion, ND hasn't brought in much in the way of recruiting lately either.

Frankly, I think Houston Nutt is a killer for out-of-state recruiting.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

treyschaap

I hate stadium debates......If the university would of scheduled 3 games a year in Little Rock, there would be another deck on the stadium.

Macgyver_Hawg

There's no need for two Razorback football stadiums.  There's a lot of people up in NWA that travel to LR for games too.  I sat two rows up from people that live in Fayetteville that I recognized.

idochog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 27, 2005, 04:54:47 pm
Quote from: treyschaap on April 27, 2005, 03:59:29 pm
I hate stadium debates......If the university would of scheduled 3 games a year in Little Rock, there would be another deck on the stadium.

And if somebody in central Arkansas would have given some acres to build a land grant university back in late 1860s, then we could avoid the stadium debate entirely.

Yep, Batesville and Fayetteville were the only 2 to step up to the plate.
I love Jesus!

EL' MAHOG

Not to mention, at OU look at the surrounding cast!  What would his stats look like, he didn't have to share at UA.
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

g.lynn

Quote from: drakehog on April 27, 2005, 03:57:15 pm
Quote from: g.lynn on April 27, 2005, 03:54:38 pm

really? On TV it doesn't look much different that Notre Dame Stadium, if the don't mention that only 50,000 are there. Of course, even with a stadium expansion, ND hasn't brought in much in the way of recruiting lately either.

Frankly, I think Houston Nutt is a killer for out-of-state recruiting.

I've been to seminars in Chicago, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Dallas, and others following a televised game at WMS.  "Is that a high school stadium?" is a common remark made to me from others who know I'm from the Fayetteville area.  IMO out of state people don't know the Hogs play in two stadiums.  They believe what they see, and thats a small stadium.  A couple of years ago I gave my game tickets to my nephew visiting from Hot Springs.  The game was on ESPN.  RRS is a jewel that can change that national "perception becomes reality" attitude about Arkansas, if the UA marketing will just do it.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Hoggysoprano

If Jones had went to OU he would of started instead of Jason White, they would of won three national championships and he would of won three Heismans.  Instead he went here and kept Nutt from being fired.

swinemaster

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 27, 2005, 05:04:08 pm
If Jones had went to OU he would of started instead of Jason White, they would of won three national championships and he would of won three Heismans. Instead he went here and kept Nutt from being fired.

Come On, he would have consistently underthrown their receivers worse than he did ours.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: swinemaster on April 27, 2005, 05:14:07 pm
If Jones had went to OU he would of started instead of Jason White, they would of won three national championships and he would of won three Heismans. Instead he went here and kept Nutt from being fired.

Come On, he would have consistently underthrown their receivers worse than he did ours.

Did you happen to see where Jason White was drafted?  Jones was under costant pressure at Arkansas, he would not of been at OU, plus his ability to run would of made him even more popular. You anti Jones jackasses amaze me.

junkyardhog

If jones had went to OU, he would have been a WR not a QB ;)

Hoggysoprano

April 27, 2005, 05:20:53 pm #19 Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:26:11 pm by Larry the Cable Hog
Quote from: junkyardhog on April 27, 2005, 05:19:15 pm

Wrong again, OU was the only other school other than ARkansas that recruited him for QB, that is why he almost went there rather than coming to Arkansas.

junkyardhog

April 27, 2005, 08:55:51 pm #20 Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:30:09 pm by junkyardhog
Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 27, 2005, 05:20:53 pm

Wrong again, OU was the only other school other than ARkansas that recruited him for QB, that is why he almost went there rather than coming to Arkansas.

so, just to get this straight, you are telling me (with a straight face) that Matt Jones would have been the starting QB at Oklahoma?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hoggysoprano

April 27, 2005, 09:06:15 pm #21 Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:10:24 pm by Larry the Cable Hog
Quote from: junkyardhog on April 27, 2005, 08:55:51 pm
Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 27, 2005, 05:20:53 pm

so, just to get this straight, you are telling me (with a straight face) that Matt Jones would have been the starting QB at Oklahoma?

Yes that is what I am telling you,

junkyardhog

April 27, 2005, 09:08:33 pm #22 Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:10:32 pm by junkyardhog
larry, don't take that personally :) (seriously)

I found that pict and just HAD to use it    ;D ;D ;D

while I don't think YOU are a dumbass, the statement could be considered that way!!   ;D ;D ;D

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: junkyardhog on April 27, 2005, 09:08:33 pm
larry, don't take that personally :)

I found that pict and just HAD to use it ;D ;D ;D

while I don't think YOU are a dumbass, the statement could be considered that way!! ;D ;D ;D

I just think you are half a jackass, just kidding.  I really do think Matt was a better Qb that Jason White, White had  a great team, he was not great.