Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McShay & Mel Kiper rate Matt as worst pick in 1st round

Started by ReturnToDynasty?, April 24, 2005, 12:21:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ReturnToDynasty?

Comments from Todd McShay, ESPN:

"Jacksonville's selection of Matt Jones is the worst pick of the first round. He is a huge reach at No. 21. Since former Arkansas QB is making the transition to a receiver position, Jones is a developmental player and a second-round choice at best. His height, size, and speed make Jones an attractive prospect with good upside, but his negatives outweigh his positives for this high of a selection.
Although he proved he could catch at the Senior Bowl, Jones has no experience blocking, questionable practice habits and a flaky personality. He could develop into a Joe Jurevicius-type slot or No. 3 receiver."

Mel Kiper, Jr. has Matt as the biggest "reach" and Mike Williams as the biggest "value"

mikeirwin

Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on April 24, 2005, 12:21:20 pm
Comments from Todd McShay, ESPN:

"Jacksonville's selection of Matt Jones is the worst pick of the first round. He is a huge reach at No. 21. Since former Arkansas QB is making the transition to a receiver position, Jones is a developmental player and a second-round choice at best. His height, size, and speed make Jones an attractive prospect with good upside, but his negatives outweigh his positives for this high of a selection.
Although he proved he could catch at the Senior Bowl, Jones has no experience blocking, questionable practice habits and a flaky personality. He could develop into a Joe Jurevicius-type slot or No. 3 receiver."

Mel Kiper, Jr. has Matt as the biggest "reach" and Mike Williams as the biggest "value"

Well, I guess that does it. Jack Del Rio should immediately resign. He has no credibility approving a stupid pick like that.  ;D
McShay should be hired as the Jaguars GM. Kiper will coach the team. It's the only way to save that pathetic franchise. :D

I'M EMBARRASSED

I'm just glad that Mort was pimping MJ half as much as Kiper was pimping Mike Williams.

Gman

These guys don't know darn.. If they are so damn bright, why aren't they coaching a team somewhere, instead we are forced to listen to thier rediculous B/S day in and day out. 

Macgyver_Hawg

Matt will have an action figure in no time.  They act like a QB hasn't ever played another position before.

Lando Calrissian

I think it's absolutely hilarious Matt got picked up before Aaron Rodgers.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Broken Trigger

McShay needs to McShut up.  Oh, but of course i respect Mel Crapper's opinion, because let's just look at all his wonderful credentials to be a self-appointed football guru.  What was this guy before football, a couch potato.  Where did he play?  Where did he coach?  Where was he general manager?   ::)

Semper Hogelis

Your right. What could Jack Del Rio know about the game. Its not like he played, or anything.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

TulsaHogFan

I think some of you should just ignore the idiots on ESPN.  Mort is the only one i listen to, not because he pumps Ark, but rather because he goes more on actual stats that just broad ASSumptions.  Mort has our back, but i mean its not like ESPN has ever not helped Arkansas players. I am just going to let Matt show what he can do when he shows up in a Jaguar uniform.  I mean the kid is going to get touchdowns no worry there. 

The thing is i can't stand it when they talk about not being able to take a hit.  If the guys watched Matt the reason he does not take hits very often is because his legs are so long when someone tries to take him down they end up missing the guy.  You don't play for 4 years in the SEC and get away with never taking a hit.  Ask Hillis after his FIRST year.

THF

arkjay19

All the "experts" who are down on Matt Jones and don't expect him to do very well in the NFL haven't seem him play.  They say that he has good speed but question his lateral and hip movements to make reveiver route cuts, but people who have seen him play know that he has those talents and will do great in the NFL.

weevilhogg

flaky personality?

I'd like to hear them explain that.
Oh my!

Biggus Piggus

You know McShay is groping for ways to criticize Jones when he calls him a flake.  Since when did that enter into the evaluation?

Who the hell is McShay, anyway?  What made him an expert?  As far as I can tell he's just an anonymous blabbermouth.

The Jacksonville paper was kind to the home team, but the Orlando paper was not:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11473871.htm
[CENSORED]!

Broken Trigger

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 24, 2005, 06:12:45 pm
You know McShay is groping for ways to criticize Jones when he calls him a flake. Since when did that enter into the evaluation?

Who the hell is McShay, anyway? What made him an expert? As far as I can tell he's just an anonymous blabbermouth.

The Jacksonville paper was kind to the home team, but the Orlando paper was not:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11473871.htm

Maybe Mel Krapper christened him an expert.  He might have studied Mel's book.

sage_dragoon

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on April 24, 2005, 01:25:52 pm
I don't know the guy's name but he was saying that Matt needed to lose some weight to be elusive in the NFL. MJ was the fastest man clocked in the 40 and quick in the cone drills and shuttle. He also had great acceleration, this guy looked and talked like a basketball analyst from the HOOD. He knew little about football and certainly knew little about MJ. MJ may need to learn the tricks of the trade as a receiver, but he needs NO coaching on being 'elusive.'

i believe that was Tory Holt, multi-pro bowler with the Rams...btw, he was high on clayton from OU

XBox360 - SageDragoon79

tophawg19

kipper was pissed because he wasn't ready when matt was picked and couldn't come up
with anything to say & when he did MORT. smoked him .made him look like the fool he is .
and if matt was black tory holt would have been all for him .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pioneerhog

Like this is really that much of a suprise, they have no buisness saying who a team should select or not select, if they are that good then they shouldbe the coaches.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: pioneerhog on April 24, 2005, 09:34:55 pm
Like this is really that much of a suprise, they have no buisness saying who a team should select or not select, if they are that good then they shouldbe the coaches.

Well said, pioneerhog.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Flatfoot

Kiper's radioactive hair gel is warping what brains he has left.  Kiper doesn't know weither to wind his butt or scratch his watch.  He is blow hard windbag and a few fries short of a happy meal.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

RebelliousHog

I think that MJ can do very well in the NFL. I wish him nothing but the best.

Before we anoint him as the next great superstar let's give him a chance to prove himself in this very difficult league without heaping so much pressure on him. The d-back in this league are much different from anything he faced in his very brief stint on the college level as a wide reciever.

There have been many highly touted players who DID NOT pan out in the NFL. First rounders and Heisman Trophy winners included.

While I don't regard Kiper or any of the others as gospel, they have a legitimate arguement. Mj will need to prove himself in the NFL.

I think the flakey tag was uncalled for. MJ has obviously matured over the years. Besides at any posotion in the NFL it is not a real problem normally, except at QB. You rarely see a flake do well at QB.

Smite on. I'm justing stating my opinion. I'm not dissing MJ at all. I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong. IMO  I think he can do so.

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Flatfoot

I think MJ will do well.  Give him some time and with his God given ability could be one of the best.  I wish him the best and will root for him always.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Big Papa Satan

Mel Kiper?  McSheen?  Who are these douchebags, again?

mossfan3

I read on ESPN that they plan on putting Jones outside with no slot man on his side.  They also said that Jacksonville's GM was sold on Matt when he showed up at the workout with with a punter to show that he can and will return punts.  Surely he didn't take Skinner.

tophawg19

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 24, 2005, 08:58:07 pm
kipper was pissed because he wasn't ready when matt was picked and couldn't come up
with anything to say & when he did MORT. smoked him .made him look like the fool he is .
and if matt was black tory holt would have been all for him .
This is true about Holt, Holt better be glad the Rams didn't get Matt, he would've been on the bench watching Matt and Bruce.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: mossfan3 on April 25, 2005, 04:30:59 pm
I read on ESPN that they plan on putting Jones outside with no slot man on his side. They also said that Jacksonville's GM was sold on Matt when he showed up at the workout with with a punter to show that he can and will return punts. Surely he didn't take Skinner.

I'm sure it wasn't Skinner, they said a punter.

tophawg19

well if you don't look to hard ..... :D :D he might pass for one .

Biggus Piggus

How does Kiper so easily forget his late conversion to the Matt Jones bandwagon?  You guys remember it, don't you?  Now he's telling everyone in earshot that he cannot understand how anybody selects MJ in the first round.  I've got it down to only Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Seattle.  That's all.  Does Kiper even know this?
[CENSORED]!

Broken Trigger

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2005, 05:03:03 pm
How does Kiper so easily forget his late conversion to the Matt Jones bandwagon? You guys remember it, don't you? Now he's telling everyone in earshot that he cannot understand how anybody selects MJ in the first round. I've got it down to only Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Seattle. That's all. Does Kiper even know this?

Mel cannot understand.  Alas, that is the problem,  Kiper is just a little slow getting on the train.  I can't wait to hear how he explains the good things Matt is gonna do when they happen.   

SiriusHog™

I think Kiper met McShay when Kiper was judging a contest that McShay won.  It was the "Sucking a golf ball through a water hose/Sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch Invitational"  Kiper is a judge due to being a previous recipient of that award.  ;D

Kevin

i hope  matt does well.  but why are these gurus different from the guru's that ranked our basketball recruiting class in the top ten the last two years. we all believed them.  they apparently don't know anything either.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

OklaU

It doesn't matter what they said.  Matt got drafter in the first round.  So quit worrying about it people.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

BushHawg

Did anybody hear that fool Kiper trying to explain himself about Jones last night?  It was some draft recap show and a guy from Ark. sent in an email asking Mel how he can call Jones a "reach" when he had him going around 22 in his mock draft.

He said some shiite about how a mock draft is a guess but he looks at value per pick.  Well if Matt wasn't valuable then why did he have him so high in his draft?  The dude needs to open his squinty eyes and shed some of that enormous hair and maybe he could see and think straight.

Bottom line is he held off admitting Matt was going to go high until the very end, tried to jump on the bandwagon, missed and fell on his butt and is now trying to cover up for it by criticizing the pick.

If ESPN is smart they'll make Mort "the guy" next year during the draft since he obviously has a clue and Kiper doesn't.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

Geohul

Mort and Kiper have both been doing the draft for some years now.  Mort is definateley the more knowing as far as NFL everyday Ops.  But Kiper is supposed to be The draft Guru.  I personally think he is overated. Anybody with enough time and a good Pay-Per-View college football package can do what Kiper does. But ESPN touts him as the worlds foremost NFL talent expert.   It takes a really good investigative reporter to do what Mort does.  I think he and John Clayton are the 2 best reporters ESPN has.  And of those 2 Mort is still a lot better.  The guy has a lot of connections to all of the NFL teams.  Kiper goes purely on heresay and conjeture.

msudawgs64

well you know what they say, those who can't or never have played, analyze.  :-)
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.