Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rahsard Sullivan is gone

Started by Eric Sullivan, April 22, 2005, 04:03:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Sullivan

just came down..

COLLEGE BASKETBALL:
Sullivan Leaves Arkansas Basketball Team

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – University of Arkansas junior basketball forward Rashard Sullivan has left the team and will not play next season, head coach Stan Heath announced on Friday.
            Sullivan, a 6-8, 239-pounder from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., will remain enrolled at Arkansas and continue working on his degree. The three-year letterman played in all 30 UA games last year with five starts. He averaged 2.3 points, 3.2 rebounds and 0.8 blocked shots per game. He shot 54.3 percent from the floor, hitting 25-of-46 shots, and 79.2 percent at the line, connecting on 19-of-24 attempts.
            He played in 84 career games with 25 starts, making 66-of-149 shots (.443) and 35-of-75 free throws (.467) with averages of 2.0 points and 3.1 rebounds.
            "I appreciate his efforts in the past and respect his decision to stay here and continue his education," Heath said.
            The Razorbacks, who were 18-12 this season, return three frontcourt lettermen from this year, a fourth from last year and have a fifth who will be a true freshman.
Darian Townes, a 6-10 center, started 14 games and averaged 10.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots with a .519 field goal percentage in making the SEC's All-Freshman team and earning honorable mention freshman All-American honors from Rivals.com. Steven Hill, a 7-0 freshman center, started 18 games and averaged 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds, and finished second in the SEC with 1.8 blocked shots per game; Charles Thomas, a 6-8 freshman forward, started 18 games and averaged 5.5 points and 2.7 rebounds; Vincent Hunter, a 6-10 sophomore forward, missed the 2005 season with a shoulder injury after averaging 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds as a freshman; and Cyrus McGowan, a 6-9, 235-pound forward from Meridian, Miss., is part of UA's incoming recruiting class for next season.

Buck Ocean

Nice work Sully........that type of effort makes Pa-paw happy.  This weekend, tell the Sheriff of the Media (thats Irwin)
to find a judge or pedestrian at your local sporting venue w/ a bullhorn.....wrestle it from him....then parade around the event yelling
KUDOS! KUDOS! KUDOS!

Now I can really call you Rashard since there is only one Sullivan in town now.
Think like a Jedi

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Buck Ocean on April 22, 2005, 04:11:52 pm
Nice work Sully........that type of effort makes Pa-paw happy.  This weekend, tell the Sheriff of the Media (thats Irwin)
to find a judge or pedestrian at your local sporting venue w/ a bullhorn.....wrestle it from him....then parade around the event yelling
KUDOS! KUDOS! KUDOS!

Now I can really call you Rashard since there is only one Sullivan in town now.
BUCK.. I'm kinda sad Sullivan is gone because 2 years ago at Bud Walton the PA guy actually said Eric Sullivan at the line for 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I flipped out... Afterwards I had to give props to Eric Ferguson and Rashrad for making my DREAM to play for the basketball hogs come true, even it was a mistake and only lasted a second!!!!

Buck Ocean

Quotethe PA guy actually said Eric Sullivan at the line

oh hell yeah....if that happens to me, I'm puttin that one on the 10 o'clock news and I'm claiming full responsiblity for
MISSING THE TWO SHOTS AT THE LINE THAT ENSUED THEREAFTER THE PA ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
Think like a Jedi

Pragmatic PiG

so who is the 'savior' that SH will sign to fill RS's spot?

Semper Hogelis

Hey Sully. Just for FMI. Did you play any ball in college.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

Semper Hogelis

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 22, 2005, 04:23:39 pm
so who is the 'savior' that SH will sign to fill RS's spot?
Good question Prag. We all know that is what it was all about. If SH got one on the line, that's when Rashard wouldn't be up in the air anymore. Looks like the Scholarship was needed after all.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Eric Sullivan on April 22, 2005, 04:03:54 pm
just came down..

COLLEGE BASKETBALL:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – University of Arkansas junior basketball forward Rashard Sullivan has left the team and will not play next season, head coach Stan Heath announced on Friday.
Sullivan, a 6-8, 239-pounder from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., will remain enrolled at Arkansas and continue working on his degree. The three-year letterman played in all 30 UA games last year with five starts. He averaged 2.3 points, 3.2 rebounds and 0.8 blocked shots per game. He shot 54.3 percent from the floor, hitting 25-of-46 shots, and 79.2 percent at the line, connecting on 19-of-24 attempts.
He played in 84 career games with 25 starts, making 66-of-149 shots (.443) and 35-of-75 free throws (.467) with averages of 2.0 points and 3.1 rebounds.
"I appreciate his efforts in the past and respect his decision to stay here and continue his education," Heath said.
The Razorbacks, who were 18-12 this season, return three frontcourt lettermen from this year, a fourth from last year and have a fifth who will be a true freshman.
Darian Townes, a 6-10 center, started 14 games and averaged 10.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots with a .519 field goal percentage in making the SEC's All-Freshman team and earning honorable mention freshman All-American honors from Rivals.com. Steven Hill, a 7-0 freshman center, started 18 games and averaged 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds, and finished second in the SEC with 1.8 blocked shots per game; Charles Thomas, a 6-8 freshman forward, started 18 games and averaged 5.5 points and 2.7 rebounds; Vincent Hunter, a 6-10 sophomore forward, missed the 2005 season with a shoulder injury after averaging 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds as a freshman; and Cyrus McGowan, a 6-9, 235-pound forward from Meridian, Miss., is part of UA's incoming recruiting class for next season.

So does this mean that Ryan McBride accepted a scholarship upon arrival today?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Semper Hogelis

Quote from: drakehog on April 22, 2005, 05:14:06 pm
just came down..

COLLEGE BASKETBALL:

Yep, Yep very interesting. Thanks Drake. Kind of obvious huh.

Boarcephus

I can't help but feel for the guy and I wished I knew the real reason he was cut.  Wonder if it was simply a matter of him not being good enough or have we gotten someone else much better or was he a problem on the team from an attitude perspective.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on April 22, 2005, 05:21:39 pm
Quote from: drakehog on April 22, 2005, 05:14:06 pm
just came down..

COLLEGE BASKETBALL:

Yep, Yep very interesting. Thanks Drake. Kind of obvious huh.

I guess the untold story is this: Rashard Sullivan will stay at the university. He'll pay his own way. So he's giving up his scholarship. Some decent Kentucky player did that a couple of years ago when they had a scholarship numbers crunch. If  Sullivan was wanted, why wouldn't he just be on the team as a walkon and be giving up his scholarship.
I love the "Rashard Sullivan says he's gone" one day, then "Heath says talk of Sullivan's leaving is premature," then 10 days later we've had climax.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on April 22, 2005, 04:24:15 pm
Semper,
I did at Arkansas Tech Univ.. Didn't play much, just came in when teams were playing ZONE to fire up some 3's.. My claim to fame is leading the NATION in 3-point shooting!!!! ( unfortunatly it was during warm-ups though)!!!!!!!

Semper Hogelis

Good point Drake. If he is still staying in school. He could have given up the Scholarship, and stayed as a walk on. I wish him well. Once a Razorback.

Semper Hogelis

Quote from: Eric Sullivan on April 22, 2005, 05:34:06 pm
Semper,
I did at Arkansas Tech Univ.. Didn't play much, just came in when teams were playing ZONE to fire up some 3's.. My claim to fame is leading the NATION in 3-point shooting!!!! ( unfortunatly it was during warm-ups though)!!!!!!!
I thought so.  Just thought I remembered the name.

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on April 22, 2005, 05:36:26 pm
Quote from: Eric Sullivan on April 22, 2005, 05:34:06 pm
Semper,
I thought so. Just thought I remembered the name.
Semper,
Now my older brother Jason Sullivan, was a good player down at SAU.. That's the name you probably remember!!!

Semper Hogelis

Yep,Yep. Rings a bell. Had a GF that played from Tech from Havana. Just thought I heard the name before the TV gig. Rock On.

tophawg19

sad Rashard was one of few that gave his all .he may not have been great but he never quit trying .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on April 22, 2005, 10:51:40 pm
ESPN is reporting that Rashard Sullivan is leaving the UofA early and is making himself eligible for the NBA draft.

I'd draft him.

He's 6'8.

Runs a 4.12 sec 40.

Has a 56 inch vertical jump.

Lottery pick, all the way...and anybody who claims that MY Milwaukee Bucks won't take him is seriously mis-informed, as MY Milwaukee Bucks are the best team EVAR and everybody else is teh sucks!

#6 pick to the MY Bucks...it's a lock!!!!!!!!  Just so long as Orlando doesn't draft him, those losers.
:)
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hawgfan_18

I hate to see Rashard go, it seemed he was coming along this year, with what little time we got to see him play. Pookie and Eric Ferguson are the only players left of Nolans.  What will happen to them? The mystery continues....

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: drakehog on April 22, 2005, 05:26:20 pm

I guess the untold story is this: Rashard Sullivan will stay at the university. He'll pay his own way. So he's giving up his scholarship.

Rashard will not have to pay is own way.  Franks takes care of all ex-players.  The Razorback Foundation will pay Rashard's way. 

hogfan212

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 23, 2005, 08:16:07 pm
I hate to see Rashard go, it seemed he was coming along this year, with what little time we got to see him play. Pookie and Eric Ferguson are the only players left of Nolans. What will happen to them? The mystery continues....
Ferguson is not one of Nolan's.  Heath recruited Ferguson and Davis when he first arrived at the UofA.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 24, 2005, 10:01:12 am

I guess the untold story is this: Rashard Sullivan will stay at the university. He'll pay his own way. So he's giving up his scholarship.

Rashard will not have to pay is own way. Franks takes care of all ex-players. The Razorback Foundation will pay Rashard's way.

Glad to hear that, i wish it was publicized a bit cause thats a huge recruiting tool.  WE take care of our family.

I have to say there must be more to the story, why is he not walking on?  Aslo what is the rule on revoking a scholarship offered and accepted by a player?

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on April 24, 2005, 05:14:22 pm
Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 24, 2005, 10:01:12 am

Rashard will not have to pay is own way. Franks takes care of all ex-players. The Razorback Foundation will pay Rashard's way.

Glad to hear that, i wish it was publicized a bit cause thats a huge recruiting tool. WE take care of our family.

I have to say there must be more to the story, why is he not walking on? Aslo what is the rule on revoking a scholarship offered and accepted by a player?
There is more to the story I'm sure.  But even if there wasn't and he walked on, he would have to pay his own way.  He can't play and have the foundation pay his way, that would be like having unlimited schollies.

CarolinaHog1176

April 26, 2005, 05:21:48 pm #23 Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 05:31:49 pm by CarolinaHog1176
http://www.wholehogsports.com/story.php?paper=adg&storyid=114793

(copied from article)
A one-line message in the e-mail sent to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette said Sullivan had given his written statement to Heath on April 13 "to be presented to the media." Heath never made Sullivan's statement public.
what is this crap?  is the media actually trying to get Stan Heath and his staff to black flag them?  of course it's their job to present the facts, but this is Stan Heath's program and just because a player typed up an "official statement" doesn't mean that he has to present it to the media.  Stan Heath presented the information that was "need to know"... and that's that R.Sullivan quit, didn't see eye to eye with SH, and is going to stick around and finish his degree.  good for him.

After three years of playing under head coach Stan Heath, I feel that I have not developed as a player and I am dissatisfied with my production on this team. Despite all my hard work and effort, I still feel like I don't contribute to or fit in the program that Coach Heath is trying to build
ok??  that doesn't really need an explanation does it?  but yet, the media has absolutely no problem with showing that there isn't a 100% satisfactory rating with SH and his program.  oh my!!  he's a relatively young coach and is learning something new everyday, I guarantee you.  again, the media shouldn't be surprised if their access starts to go down.

" I would like to thank Coach Nolan Richardson for recruiting me and giving me the opportunity to earn a college degree. To the Razorback fans, I would like to thank you for your care and support over the past three years. "
of course he's going to thank nolan for giving him the chance, but shouldn't he also thank SH for keeping him???

sorry for the rant, but this article just pissed me off.  GHG
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

dsf

I am amazed people think Sullivan didn't play much.  In my opinion he played too much.  I feel Heath should have played Hill as much as possible.  Play him until he fouls out or the game is over minus time needed for rest.  Heath did Hill a disservice by not allowing him to play more this year.

tophawg19

hill didn't earn playing time. he refused to look for shots and limited the offense by not being a factor when he was on the floor .in rebounding you block out then go get the ball he blocked out
and waited for someone else to get the ball .

idochog

I think Hill needs to force the issue on offense and then I bet you money he would play more.
I love Jesus!

tophawg19

probably a good bet .that's what is holding him back .

CarolinaHog1176

Hill just needs strength.... like they say, you can't coach size... but it sure makes it easier to play defense against if you can push them anywhere you want them to go.  he'll work on his footwork, mid-range jumper, and his strength over the summer and should be good to go for his sophomore campaign.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Lando Calrissian

The big men coming back will definetely be a strong point of next year's team, thus Rashard is rendered irrelevant.

A lot of people forgot about Vincent Hunter last season. 

I know he's not a game-changing "go to guy", but he's exactly the type of all-around player that is needed to build a solid team.

My gut feelings also tell me that both Steven Hill AND Charles Thomas will pay-off.

All we need now is another consistent guard.  Not necessarily a "true" point guard as some would claim, but just another reliable day-to-day guard.  Other than Ronnie, there's no telling who's going to show up concerning our guards.  Ferguson and Modica show glimpses, but you never know when or where they're going to show up.  That being said, I think Ferguson and Modica are both perfect complimentary players.  You know what I mean.  Players that thrive off of others.  They can have an impact, but they just can't do it on their own.

This might sound like crazy-talk, but I think we're that one piece away.  We need a guard.  Period.   Think Corey Beck.  Hell, think Corey Beck Lite.  Maybe even think Ronnie Brewer Lite.  Somebody that's solid and will show up EVERY game.  Somebody that doesn't necessarily light up the stat sheet, but whose influence is felt in every game.

Easier said than done, I know...but given the quality of big men we've got, plus Ronnie...I have hope that somebody will sort it all out...and if not.................
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Biggus Piggus

Heath has to decide what kind of a team he wants his to be.  How many teams ever successfully made a midseason shift like he attempted--from run and press, play the whole bench, to halfcourt and basic man, shorten the bench?  The depth isn't really there if your system is not designed to employ it.  He either needs to focus on his top seven or eight and get them executing, or he must use the whole bench and try to hide our halfcourt incompetence.  We don't need all these guys to play, if Heath wants to play a slower-paced game.  If he wants to play like Michigan State did this season, Heath will need the bench.  I believe this team's talent is in athleticism not execution, so I think it's a waste of material to slow down and play seven.

Anyway, we're all used to talking about Arkansas teams having lots of usable players, but it might not be the right way of thinking about it.  Can Heath put seven or eight different players on the floor who have complementary skills?  If he plays his five best defenders, will they score a lick or board?  If he puts out his five best scorers, will they stop anybody or rebound worth a damn?  These players were not necessarily recruited with complementary roles in mind.  Ever since Heath has been on campus, the skill blend of his rosters has been very unmanageable, maybe surprisingly so, and I think it hides his talent as a coach.
[CENSORED]!