Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regarding Tuberville's supposed $6 million buyout at Auburn

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 27, 2007, 11:34:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

while that is a lot of money in a vaccuum, in the context of Arkansas paying it to hire him, it's nothing. The potential return on that investment is so high, it would be money very well spent. I mean, RRS isn't a 45,000 seat stadium. And if it's ever bowled, as it should be, it will seat upwards of 80,000 fans. Raise ticket prices, increase attendance, get better TV deals, etc. The $6 million invested would be made back with Tuberville in a couple of years and then a whole lot of gravy in years after that.

Point is, don't worry about any buyout cost...that will literally not be an issue at all. The issue with Tuberville will be if he'd take the job regardless of what salary Arkansas may offer him. He was snubbed by Arkansas in '98 and he may hold a grudge. Let's hope not.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Razorback Homer

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 11:34:31 am
Raise ticket prices, increase attendance, get better TV deals, etc. The $6 million invested would be made back with Tuberville in a couple of years and then a whole lot of gravy in years after that.

IMO, raising ticket prices is the LAST thing they should do.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Nashville Fan

It's one game's profits at Fayetteville. The A&M game is getting moved from WMS. That alone will probably make up for the 6mill over two years.
Pittman or Bust!

Razorod

Good post. You did put some things into perspective that most of us "regular Joes" probably can't appreciate since most of us don't make that kind of money.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

WhenPigsFly

Agreed, don't raise ticket prices yet.  We are going to have a couple of down years, so don't run off potential fans with a price increase for a possibly inferior product.

Conway Cool Daddy

while that is a lot of money in a vaccuum, in the context of Arkansas paying it to hire him, it's nothing. The potential return on that investment is so high, it would be money very well spent. I mean, RRS isn't a 45,000 seat stadium. And if it's ever bowled, as it should be, it will seat upwards of 80,000 fans. Raise ticket prices, increase attendance, get better TV deals, etc. The $6 million invested would be made back with Tuberville in a couple of years and then a whole lot of gravy in years after that.

Point is, don't worry about any buyout cost...that will literally not be an issue at all. The issue with Tuberville will be if he'd take the job regardless of what salary Arkansas may offer him. He was snubbed by Arkansas in '98 and he may hold a grudge. Let's hope not.

I honestly think TT would jump at the chance.
I don't see him lasting much longer at Auburn.

The 6mil is a huge problem to overcome.

How about we pay them 8 mil and get Kodi and Ziemba as well?

tryken

The SEC controlls the TV deals, so we can't make better TV deals. 

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Razorback Homer on November 27, 2007, 11:38:24 am

Our ticket prices are the lowest in the SEC.  Even Ole Miss charges $45 per ticket.  A $10 per ticket price increase wouldn't affect demand at all, and would net $4-5 million in additional revenue. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Lard

If we moved the two LR games to Fayetteville that would be an additional $3MM in cash flow per year I think.  That would help. 
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

DeltaBoy

+10 on the Tickets would be a small price to pay for Tommy T.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

claytongray

$6 million really isn't a lot to get the coach you want after you pay over half that much to get rid of the coach you don't want.

VolHogg

One good outcome of hiring TT, he would not recruiting our best players for Auburn!!

modabusesucks

I doubt they raise club seat prices which are already at $75/ticket.  

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 27, 2007, 11:56:41 am
I would do it incrementally (if possible) and go move to $40 and then $45 in a year or two just to relax the shock effect.

That's probably a good idea, although if we hire a name like Tuberville or Davis it might be best to go ahead with the full increase while the fans are excited about their next coach. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

beansandtaters

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on November 27, 2007, 11:44:09 am

I agree with you about TT jumping at the chance Conway. I think he sees the writing on the wall at Auburn that one disappointing season including a loss to Saban and they'll be pushing him out the door.  The state of college football is such that coaches don't last that many years anymore, in one job, before they piss someone off.

Lard

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 27, 2007, 11:56:41 am
I would do it incrementally (if possible) and go move to $40 and then $45 in a year or two just to relax the shock effect.
A $10 increase on 72,000 tickets is $720,000/yr.  That's nothing.  Moving the two LR games to Fayetteville is over $3MM/yr......there's your money.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Lard on November 27, 2007, 12:01:44 pm
A $10 increase on 72,000 tickets is $720,000/yr.  That's nothing.  Moving the two LR games to Fayetteville is over $3MM/yr......there's your money.

72,000 tickets X 5 games = 360,000 X $10 = $3.6 million.  That doesn't even take into account the Little Rock games or the years when we play six in Fayetteville. 

Marshfieldhog

I suspect Bobby Lowder wouldn't mind letting TT walk from the buyout at a lesser amount, I don't think he cares much for TT. Bobby Lowder is our Jim Lindsey...a big, rich blowhard.

Lard

Quote from: DirkPiggler on November 27, 2007, 12:02:59 pm
72,000 tickets X 5 games = 360,000 X $10 = $3.6 million.  That doesn't even take into account the Little Rock games or the years when we play six in Fayetteville. 
You're right....I was thinking one game at a time.  Anyways, I'm not willing to continue to forego the additional revenue that we could have by playing in Fayetteville as oppossed to playing in the dump.  
-Thomas Jefferson

clockwisehog

Can Tommy resign, get the $8 Million for himself and then come here, or does that only work with our administration?
"Doctors are always trying to tell me, you've got to start slowing it down.  But there's more old drunks than there are old Doctors, so I guess we should have another round" -- Willie Nelson

Gas Can

Quote from: Lard on November 27, 2007, 11:50:48 am
If we moved the two LR games to Fayetteville that would be an additional $3MM in cash flow per year I think.  That would help. 

That might also cause the UofA some high $$ boosters.

Lard

Quote from: Gas Can on November 27, 2007, 12:05:06 pm
That might also cause the UofA some high $$ boosters.
Like who?  What big money booster is stupid enough to not realize how the economics are in favor of Fayetteville? 
-Thomas Jefferson

johogs001

Quote from: DirkPiggler on November 27, 2007, 11:46:27 am
Our ticket prices are the lowest in the SEC.  Even Ole Miss charges $45 per ticket.  A $10 per ticket price increase wouldn't affect demand at all, and would net $4-5 million in additional revenue. 

I went to a Mississippi St. game that was $40 a ticket.  If their fans pay it for the losers they usually are then I'd think we would be willing to pay $5-$10 more for tickets.

HognotinMemphis

Why do you say that? You can't afford it? Arkansas has the lowest ticket prices in the entire SEC. Ole Miss tickets are $45 while Hogs charge $35 for one example. If it means hiring Tuberville, raise them a few bucks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on November 27, 2007, 11:44:09 am

No, the $6 million is NOT a huge problem to overcome. In fact, it's not a problem at all in this situation.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tryken on November 27, 2007, 11:44:11 am
The SEC controlls the TV deals, so we can't make better TV deals. 
We can get on TV more often...I didn't say "make better TV deals". If Hogs are on TV more often, it's more money for all teams in SEC and more money for the Hogs' program. Hogs were on TV more last year going 10-2 than they were this year with cupcake non-conf schedule and going 8-4.

bphi11ips

Money has always been a smokescreen.  Do the math on gross revenue generated by the team from all sources.  Subtract expenses, including coaches' and players' salaries.  Compare that to a professional team, then tell me we can't afford to pay a $6M buyout and $3M or more a year for a head coach.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

31to6

If they can fill the stadium at a higher price, they should.

Supply and demand.

uams1989

Raising ticket prices and moving games is not how the game is played.  Money...big money for salaries, buy-outs, etc. comes from big money donors, not game revenue, etc.

Alabama is only paying a quarter of Saban's salary.  The big money is coming from other booster group foundations, such as the Red Elephant Club and others.

That is what Arkansas would do if they want a Tuberville or some other high priced coach.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: Lard on November 27, 2007, 12:05:45 pm
Like who?  What big money booster is stupid enough to not realize how the economics are in favor of Fayetteville? 

Stephens

Ex-Trumpet

Any chance Auburn would pay it, just like we did nutt? ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 27, 2007, 02:06:39 pm
Money has always been a smokescreen.  Do the math on gross revenue generated by the team from all sources.  Subtract expenses, including coaches' and players' salaries.  Compare that to a professional team, then tell me we can't afford to pay a $6M buyout and $3M or more a year for a head coach.

It has always amazed me how many fans can't figure this out...can't see through that smokescreen. They look at it in a vacuum and say, "dayum, $6 million!! I won't make that in my life time. It's too much!"

Lard

Quote from: hawgfan923 on November 27, 2007, 02:33:13 pm
Stephens
Supposedly they have already significantly dropped their donations due to the one game being moved.  So who else?
-Thomas Jefferson

JoePaul03

Does anyone think TT still holds a grudge since we passed him over before? And, if he does, how does that grudge compare to the one he may/may not hold against Auburn for the Petrino shenanigans they pulled a few years back?
WCOB, 2003

Lard

Quote from: JoePaul03 on November 27, 2007, 03:17:26 pm
Does anyone think TT still holds a grudge since we passed him over before? And, if he does, how does that grudge compare to the one he may/may not hold against Auburn for the Petrino shenanigans they pulled a few years back?
Probably but Frank won't be in charge and that is who he was likely pissed at. 
-Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 27, 2007, 12:03:58 pm
I suspect Bobby Lowder wouldn't mind letting TT walk from the buyout at a lesser amount, I don't think he cares much for TT. Bobby Lowder is our Jim Lindsey...a big, rich blowhard.

HaHa...now thats funny right there I don't care who you are.
Go Hogs Go!

dougieritch

I'm sorry guys, I don't regard TT as an elite coach...and I certainly don't believe he is worth us buying him out of his contract at 6 million.  We could get Spurrier for that kind of money!

Donny2665

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on November 27, 2007, 11:43:22 am
Agreed, don't raise ticket prices yet.  We are going to have a couple of down years, so don't run off potential fans with a price increase for a possibly inferior product.

10.00 a ticket is affordable and would do the trick without making the stadium a Bowl.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Hawgon

$50 dollars per ticket should be the price.  Tickets are the least of the expenses in going to a Razorback game.  That would be roughtly 1.4 million per game more money.

I think Auburn may well let Tuberville out of his contract if he means they will then get the guy that some of them have wanted for a long time anyway.  Atlanta is very close to Auburn and Bobby Petrino is unhappy.  They can't fire Tuberville and they can't get Petrino until they have an opening.  Tuberville is boring and Petrino is exciting.  Tuberville has been there a long time.

lokopig

If it is bowled, it would seat over 90,000. 76,000 for the USC game already is the record. That would be over 15,000 more seats at the very least.

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: JoePaul03 on November 27, 2007, 03:17:26 pm

Not as much of a grudge as the one he probably holds against the people he's currently employed with going behind his back trying to get a new coach and then lying about it. Granted, he might have been upset that he didn't get the job to start with but at least we didn't hire him then go behind him and try to get a new coach, then try to cover it all up when questions started to arise.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

Doyle Hograves

***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

MysticHog

Raise mine by 50 bucks a game.  I don't want another Nutt, Tommy or Butch are the only two choices.

3pigsinafountain

Tommy Tubberville DOES NOT hold a grudge about the coaching search at Ar 10 years ago.  He is very clear on who played that hand poorly and how much of the responsibility lies on his doorstep. 

that said, it still doesn't mean he would come or ,equally important, be offered.

tophawg19

word is that the buyout might be much less than the 6 mil figure .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins