Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin should be our Top Choice

Started by sowmonella, November 27, 2007, 12:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 01:47:32 am
What does Gus have to do with the fact that Kiffin is not as proven as some here are posting?

Are you honestly trying to say that Kiffin has proven he can bring kids into any program?

Look man, I respect you Soa, but saying that the man is somehow "proven" is a reach.

If only OU had said the same thing about a man called Stoops who did nothing in the state of Florida, OSU would be kicking the living schitt out of them by now...

I12PLAY

im fired up about Lane He would be a great coach.  oc at usc and top notch recruiter i agree thats our guy!!!  i actually like the fact hes probably a better recruiter than anyone we've ever had! shell out the money for this guy.

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 01:52:19 am
If only OU had said the same thing about a man called Stoops who did nothing in the state of Florida, OSU would be kicking the living schitt out of them by now...

Not a good comparison Sao.

Florida had a tradition for being third best in its own state before Spurrier and Stoops. They LITERALLY built that program into what you see today.

I remember reading quotes from Spurrier about how difficult it was to convince kids to come there and be starters instead of 3rd teamers at Fla. St and Miami.

USC has been a power in college football for time and memorium. Even when they weren't winning big in the 90s they were still putting more kids in the NFL than any school.

Bringing talent into USC has NEVER been a problem. Coaching it up has been tough from time to time however.

Spurrier and Stoops built Florida. Kiffin lived off the traditions of a decades old giant of college football.

No comparison.
Bless your heart

Sao Ming

Quit deleting the positive posts please. 

What are you afraid of? 

I12PLAY

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 02:00:30 am
Not a good comparison Sao.

Florida had a tradition for being third best in its own state before Spurrier and Stoops. They LITERALLY built that program into what you see today.

I remember reading quotes from Spurrier about how difficult it was to convince kids to come there and be starters instead of 3rd teamers at Fla. St and Miami.

USC has been a power in college football for time and memorium. Even when they weren't winning big in the 90s they were still putting more kids in the NFL than any school.

Bringing talent into USC has NEVER been a problem. Coaching it up has been tough from time to time however.

Spurrier and Stoops built Florida. Kiffin lived off the traditions of a decades old giant of college football.

No comparison.

So you're telling me even in USC's lean times they had the best recruits to offer but either could not get them on campus or could not develop them?  When Carroll built USC do you think he did it himself?  How is that not Stoops like of Kiffin? 

Would you take Tedford or is he a product of California as well?  Let me guess...Cali has 300 to choose from and they just can't all go to USC.  Well that eliminates Tedford.  And a half dozen more icons. 

Gus it is.  Nothing to worry about.  He's proven as he has a wealth of experience doing more with nothing (which means the SD5 were bad, he's just that good).  I bring up Gus, Jamie, because that's the failsafe those who live on 540 want.  To that I simply say get off the highway and get out more.

jamie72921

Quote from: HAWGS on November 27, 2007, 01:50:18 am
Hello pot, yeah, this is kettle, know what?  your black

Gus has 1000x less experience than Kiffin.  I think thats his point.

Pot is illegal. Smoking it makes you post like the example above.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 02:12:52 am
So you're telling me even in USC's lean times they had the best recruits to offer but either could not get them on campus or could not develop them?  When Carroll built USC do you think he did it himself?  How is that not Stoops like of Kiffin? 

Would you take Tedford or is he a product of California as well?  Let me guess...Cali has 300 to choose from and they just can't all go to USC.  Well that eliminates Tedford.  And a half dozen more icons. 

Gus it is.  Nothing to worry about.  He's proven as he has a wealth of experience doing more with nothing (which means the SD5 were bad, he's just that good).  I bring up Gus, Jamie, because that's the failsafe those who live on 540 want.  To that I simply say get off the highway and get out more.

Sao, when USC sucked they still had awesome talent. They put more O and D linemen in the league than anyone even then.

I know that I have seen where people are giving Kiffin credit for recruiting prowess because of bringing kids into USC. This is a joke. It means nothing because it has always been done.

What Tedford has done at Cal is more impressive. They tend to get leftovers traditionally. Hard to knock that at all.

I am at a loss to think of the OC at USC when they won their only championship, but he was given the bulk of the credit, not Kiffin.

Kiffin is currently floundering for whatever reasons. I would have to see what he could do with a less proven commodity than USC before I could annoint him they way people in this thread have.

It is ridiculous to believe he is a proven commodity. I can grant that he should be a candidate, but the guy is not a slam dunk.
Bless your heart

Slacker

Sao Ming

I have to know before I hit the hay.  Who is your one and only number one choice for us Jamie?  I have to know.

chrismurphy19

Quote from: 1WildHog on November 27, 2007, 02:26:22 am
I'd rather have Norm Chow. Thanks.

Oh my word...that would be absolutely amazing. That man is an absolute genius. I would cry tears of joy if we hired him.

I12PLAY

lanes our guy- he can recruit-we know he can coach an offense---oc at usc.  But the thing that is really good is that he would probably be the best recruiter that we could hire! thats what we need!  damn i'll say it again- I WOULD LOVE to have GUS! but the powers that be will not let that happen-Trust me.  They have very foggy glasses and cannot see it for what its worth He can coach and will be a top notch HC somewhere- damn shame he won't be with Ark as much as I'd like to see that but Lane is our guy- trust me- out of the 3 espn reported that we are looking at - leach and chris peterson and Lane.  Lanes the 1 I want!!!!

Man I thought we would end up with some dc from lsu or oklahoma it was making me sick-- the 3 we are looking at I would be happy with any of them.  Tommy Tuberville will take the most money someone throws his way, Jimmy Johnson is sitting pretty where he is at he doesn't want back in coaching what does he have to prove? So if espn is correct and they are usually pretty accurate- any of those 3 guys will be a step up from hdn!

as for the money paid to hdn get real it was a firing i've never been paid when i quit a job. so move on it was a class act letting him step away like he did- props for the powers that be and good that he went out on a win for his sake- hdn moved us forward but wasn't going to move us forward.  good guy wish him well!  hope he goes to ole miss because he cant recruit the eastern part of ark hell he never did and memphis which is where olemiss gets most of their recruits from.  so let him go we will at least win 1 game in the sec for sure! Nutt will probably end up at gt if he's lucky.  we my friends with those 3 names are moving FORWARD not backwards.  so GO Hogs good start on the recruiting trail from what I've heard.

Sao Ming

Quote from: 1WildHog on November 27, 2007, 02:26:22 am
I'd rather have Norm Chow. Thanks.

Nope.  Out.  Product of USC.  See above posts.  What is he producing today in the NFL?  Nope.  Norm hasn't proven himself.  Out of the running.

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 02:26:56 am
I have to know before I hit the hay.  Who is your one and only number one choice for us Jamie?  I have to know.

I really don't have one.

I am enjoying all the speculation.

In my dreams Jimmie Johnson would come back and still have the energy of a 30 year old and the wisdom of a man his age. Barry Switzer would be his recruiting coordinator, but never left alone with a recruit or booster, or coaches wife for that matter.

I don't see us pulling a coach from another program the way many are hoping for here either. Mlaybe Leach.

It is going to be an up and comer head coach or a coordinator at an established program.

It is so late that I can hardly think of names, but of the coaches we played against recently, I really liked the O coordinator at Kentucky. He has a cool name too, I just can't think of it at the moment.

Auburn's Defensive coordinator would be a good hire as well. If we are going to gamble though, Malzahn has a bigger upside than any of the gambles I am hearing.

Of course with higher potential returns comes greater risk. There you go.
Bless your heart

The_Champ

I doubt he leaves in late-season to come to Arkansas.

"oƃ sƃoɥ oƃ ¡ǝıooos ƃıd oooʍ

"If I could rest anywhere, it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grows nowhere else on the face of the universal earth."

It's not about the Xs and Os; it's about the Jimmys and the Joes.

Sao Ming

I can't believe you can't endorse someone I could seriously look at.

How about Butch?

You won't say it even if you want it because you know where I would go with him...Florida talent hotbed and Miami tradition et al.  You're too smart for that I will admit.

jamie72921

November 27, 2007, 02:50:29 am #66 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:53:30 am by jamie72921
Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 02:43:40 am
I can't believe you can't endorse someone I could seriously look at.

How about Butch?

You won't say it even if you want it because you know where I would go with him...Florida talent hotbed and Miami tradition et al.  You're too smart for that I will admit.

I told you my two top guys Sao.

I am pretty sure that Butch wasn't even mentioned by me. I have my doubts about Davis as well, for a lot of the same reasons as I would about Kiffin. Neither stayed long enough to see what kind of lasting effects they have on a program while enjoying success while they were involved with their respective programs.

I am not sold on anyone out there right now.

Joker what's his name is the most intriguing, while the D coordinator at Auburn has done a tremendous job as well.

After that it, if it's just a metaphorical jump ball between guys like Malzahn and Kiffin, Malzahn has a better upside in my opinion. that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.
Bless your heart

MCPeePants

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 27, 2007, 01:39:38 am
Here is my only problem with Lane Kiffin.

He's in the NFL, and the Raiders won't be done for another month.

We can't wait that long to get a head coach in Fayetteville. 

It would be the same situation Bammy had with Saban last year.

It might be worth it to wait if we could get Kiffin.

East Clintwood

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 27, 2007, 01:39:38 am
Here is my only problem with Lane Kiffin.

He's in the NFL, and the Raiders won't be done for another month.

We can't wait that long to get a head coach in Fayetteville. 

By using your thinking, we then have to elminate any college coach whose team is going bowling:  Tuberville, Petersen, etc. . . .
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hogwild7

Didn't Nebraska try this and lose 4 more years of competitiveness....No Thanks...I'll take Todd Graham and his Offensive staff...This guy is a ball coach!

Darren DeLoach

it is hard to gauge kiffin from his body of work, but he is intriguing.

it may be just a coincident, but on espn saturday there was a short story on monte kiffin, lane's dad.

as some of you know, monte spent time on the hill a d-cordinator under holtz.

he went on to become what most think of as the best defensive mind in the nfl.

the espn story stated that this was to be his last year at tampa bay, his choice.

the guys on espn speculated he may be joining his son to end his career.

would that be something.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

razorbass