Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin should be our Top Choice

Started by sowmonella, November 27, 2007, 12:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Young, NFL HC Experience, OC at Southern Cal and has Razorback ties. Throw the money at him boys.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ark30inf

There are quite a few candidates I would be satisfied with.  This is one of them.

JBucc

That would be great. Get a good young head coach and take away a good young coach from the Raiders.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

bricklayer

I agree.  He would be a GREAT hire.  We should throw the bank at him!!!!!

HAWGS

Wooooo Pig Soooie!

jamie72921

Bless your heart

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

memville

I would love him. Recruits love a coach who has coached in the NFL. We should drop the little rock games so we can offer him more money.

Desperate Hog

Is he a good recruiter and can he bring in top notch assistants?  that is the million dollar question.
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

secfan30

Is he wanting to come back to college ball? I would be rather happy with him. Holtz was the Jets coach before he came here and didn't they have like a 3-13 record, or something to that effect?

fanofthehog

Quote from: memville on November 27, 2007, 12:49:50 am
I would love him. Recruits love a coach who has coached in the NFL. We should drop the little rock games so we can offer him more money.

Cursed be you for bringing up the GSD!!!

HAWGS

I agree, recruiting is the main focus in this hire IMO.  We desperately need somebody who can deliver a top 25 recruiting class each year.
Wooooo Pig Soooie!

pigmania

Lane would be a good choice. I say throw the money at him.

tiber

The Raiders are not going to be able to keep that guy very long anyway.  That job is a stepping stone for Kiffin to somewhere better.

For those of you who are saying 'Record', I have two more words for you - Al Davis.  There's your reason for 'Record'.  As a Charger fan I hope ol' Al lives to be 110.  AJ Smith and Spanos could kick the bucket any day and I'd be fine though...

cashmoneyman_04

Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

win-streak

Do you think he could bring Mitch and Damian back with him?

centarkswine

Kiffin would be a great hire for the Razorbacks.

sowmonella

Quote from: Desperate Hog on November 27, 2007, 12:53:46 am
Is he a good recruiter and can he bring in top notch assistants?  that is the million dollar question.

He was atop recruiter at USC. He would bring in a top staff if the $ was right.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

sowmonella

Quote from: Desperate Hog on November 27, 2007, 12:53:46 am

He was a top recruiter at USC. He would bring in a top staff if the $ was right.

JBucc

Quote from: win-streak on November 27, 2007, 12:58:38 am
Do you think he could bring Mitch and Damian back with him?
He's probably never even met them so I don't know why he would.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

oldtimerhog

Daddy Frank says his offense won't work in the SEC.....
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Hogginitall

Quote from: HAWGS on November 27, 2007, 12:48:30 am
Whats the Raiders record again?

3-8.  That means 1 more win than ALL of last season and they still have 5 games to go.  It's improbable that they'll win any of those games.  But, they've still won more than they did all of last year.

bricklayer

It would be a great day in Razorback football history if we hired Kiffin or Gus!  Either coach would bring in top notch recruits because of their offenses and our lack of any talent on offense next year.  If I was a top QB, RB, WR, or lineman, I'd play for either of these guys!!!!!

aloha_kid

Quote from: HAWGS on November 27, 2007, 12:48:30 am
Whats the Raiders record again?

So if you can't make it in the NFL you can make it in college?  So, explain Carroll.

aloha_kid

bricklayer

You don't follow the NFL much huh?  It doesn't matter how good of a coach you have if you have NO offensive line!

k-hog

Quote from: sowmonella on November 27, 2007, 01:01:46 am
He was a top recruiter at USC. He would bring in a top staff if the $ was right.

I think he was the recruiting coordinator for those #1 ranked recruiting classes at USC

HAWGS

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 27, 2007, 01:06:20 am
So if you can't make it in the NFL you can make it in college?  So, explain Carroll.

Name another one?
Wooooo Pig Soooie!

HAWGS

Quote from: bricklayer on November 27, 2007, 01:07:48 am
You don't follow the NFL much huh?  It doesn't matter how good of a coach you have if you have NO offensive line!

I watch the Super Bowl?
Wooooo Pig Soooie!

Sao Ming

When Joe Schad mentioned Kiffin it made me chase my pants around the room.

Absolutely one of the best rumored names I've heard for so so many reasons.

Buy him.

bricklayer

N HOG

Quote from: HAWGS on November 27, 2007, 01:10:22 am
Name another one?

Well, Lou Holtz went from 3-13 in the NFL to No. 3 nationally in his first year at Arkansas.

Hammond Eggar

I would be fine with Kiffin except for one problem.  There are 5 weeks left in the Pro season.  Unless he were to leave immediately, which is doubtful, he would have little time to get a staff in place and salvage recruiting.  I have to wonder if he really is a serious candidate.

jamie72921

Quote from: k-hog on November 27, 2007, 01:09:50 am
I think he was the recruiting coordinator for those #1 ranked recruiting classes at USC

USC rarely gives schollies to players from outside California. It isn't hard to recruit there for crying out loud.

Talk about an unproven commodity. Kiffin is the definition of one.
Bless your heart

bricklayer

How bout Dennis Erikson?  Sucked for the 49ers and a good college coach now at Arizona St.

HAWGS

Quote from: N HOG on November 27, 2007, 01:11:54 am
Well, Lou Holtz went from 3-13 in the NFL to No. 3 nationally in his first year at Arkansas.

Yeah, but look at the team he took over.  It wasnt in shambles like Arkansas is this year.

Also, Spurriers second go around hasnt gone quite as well as planned.
Wooooo Pig Soooie!

N HOG

Quote from: HAWGS on November 27, 2007, 01:13:53 am
Yeah, but look at the team he took over.  It wasnt in shambles like Arkansas is this year.

Also, Spurriers second go around hasnt gone quite as well as planned.

And I might add that little matter of a National Championship that Lou later one.

So, yes, I would say he made a pretty successful transition.

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 01:12:48 am
USC rarely gives schollies to players from outside California. It isn't hard to recruit there for crying out loud.

Talk about an unproven commodity. Kiffin is the definition of one.

PM JoeSC and talk to him about Kiffin.  If anyone will shoot straight on him Joe will.  Carroll didn't build USC alone.  Kiffin and Sarkisian were arguably the cogs.

PaleHorse

Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

HAWGS

Quote from: N HOG on November 27, 2007, 01:15:42 am
And I might add that little matter of a National Championship that Lou later one.

So, yes, I would say he made a pretty successful transition.

Ok, Ill give you all 4, out of how many?  The percentages arent exactly great, thats all Im saying.  Also, compare head coaching experience prior to the NFL run for Holtz, Erickson, Spurrier, Carroll.  They all had previous HC experience, Kiffin is on his first go around with the Raiders.  He was an ASSISTANT in college, not a HC.
Wooooo Pig Soooie!

jamie72921

You guys are giving Kiffin way too much credit for USC.

USC has ALWAYS signed the best talent.

Damn, they still are! They always will because they don't even have to leave Orange County to get it!
Bless your heart

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 01:23:18 am
You guys are giving Kiffin way too much credit for USC.

USC has ALWAYS signed the best talent.

Damn, they still are! They always will because they don't even have to leave Orange County to get it!

Jamie, I know I can't convince you so I won't try...much.  At 32, Kiffin will infiltrate our Orange County (Texas) and rip some kids away from my state.  He would get the 2 or 3  4 and 5* kids from Arkansas per year to boot. 

Again, just talk to JOESC about him.  Go to the source.

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 01:32:47 am
Jamie, I know I can't convince you so I won't try...much.  At 32, Kiffin will infiltrate our Orange County (Texas) and rip some kids away from my state.  He would get the 2 or 3  4 and 5* kids from Arkansas per year to boot. 

Again, just talk to JOESC about him.  Go to the source.

Just this season I saw a report on ESPN about how big a gold mine Southern California is to USC. They do not even offer out of staters that aren't considered game breakers.

Outside the state of California, what state has the most players from playing for USC?

If you said Arkansas you would be correct.

Those of you believing that Kiffin sewed up California kids for USC don't know your football history, or present for that matter.

Kiffin doesn't equate to a proven commodity, and I don't need to talk to JoeSC to know that.
Bless your heart

WilsonHog

Here is my only problem with Lane Kiffin.

He's in the NFL, and the Raiders won't be done for another month.

We can't wait that long to get a head coach in Fayetteville. 

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 01:38:23 am
Just this season I saw a report on ESPN about how big a gold mine Southern California is to USC. They do not even offer out of staters that aren't considered game breakers.

Outside the state of California, what state has the most players from playing for USC?

If you said Arkansas you would be correct.

Those of you believing that Kiffin sewed up California kids for USC don't know your football history, or present for that matter.

Kiffin doesn't equate to a proven commodity, and I don't need to talk to JoeSC to know that.

How did UT beat them then?  Think about that.

Sao Ming

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 27, 2007, 01:39:38 am
Here is my only problem with Lane Kiffin.

He's in the NFL, and the Raiders won't be done for another month.

We can't wait that long to get a head coach in Fayetteville. 

Oakland is not playoff bound.  An early announcement before Mid-December is not a deal breaker but could be a deal maker for a lot of teetering prospects...one who is USC bound.

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 01:40:15 am
How did UT beat them then?  Think about that.

Have you ever seen Vince Young?

Texas is one of maybe two states that compares to California for talent year in and year out.

Have you seen USC's recruiting since he left? Has it changed? Think about that.
Bless your heart

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 01:42:57 am
Have you ever seen Vince Young?

Texas is one of maybe two states that compares to California for talent year in and year out.

Have you seen USC's recruiting since he left? Has it changed? Think about that.

You win Jamie.  Gus it is bud.

jamie72921

Quote from: Sao Ming on November 27, 2007, 01:44:30 am
You win Jamie.  Gus it is bud.

What does Gus have to do with the fact that Kiffin is not as proven as some here are posting?

Are you honestly trying to say that Kiffin has proven he can bring kids into any program?

Look man, I respect you Soa, but saying that the man is somehow "proven" is a reach.
Bless your heart

HAWGS

Hello pot, yeah, this is kettle, know what?  your black

Gus has 1000x less experience than Kiffin.  I think thats his point.
Wooooo Pig Soooie!