Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin Next HC?

Started by san1981, November 26, 2007, 08:17:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

san1981

That is what Joe Schad just reported on ESPNEWS. Wow, that came out of left field. He said he was a darkhorse candidate. I don't believe he will become the next HC, but man if we did...great hire. He has a great offensive mind. I don't understand why he would leave the Oakland Raiders to coach at Arkansas. He has no connections to Arkansas, except for his old man, Monte Kiffin. I don't think we are willing to wait around til Janaury for a new HC. But, somebody must know somebody or his name wouldn't come out of left field like this. Schad also reported Mike Leach and Peterson are candidates.

JBucc

Wow, that's out of nowhere. I mean he's not even been anywhere near mentioned until that. Just say NO to Mike Leach!
Read the guidelines for signature images.

san1981

Somebody must know something.

Zen_Hog

That'd be an incredible hire.

oldfart

maybe he could bring his old man in as DC

cashmoneyman_04

i want lane kiffin... recruiting would be amazing if we got a nfl coach....
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

BloodHOG

Lane Kiffin Stats
NCAA:
• 2001-2006: USC assistant coach (offensive coordinator in 2005-06; also recruiting coordinator and receivers coach)
• 2000: Colorado State offensive line coach
• 1997-98: Fresno State graduate assistant

NFL:
• 2000: Jaguars defensive quality control coach

okiehawg

They say that a lot of those college coaches that go to the pro's don't like it and want to get back to the college game.  Maybe that is what Kiffin is feeling.

Oklahawg

Was Kiffin at USC at one time?

Can't screw this hire up -- you need college recruiting experience and the ability to build a great college staff.

Look at Charlie Weis and Chan Gailey (and the beatdown the national media are giving A&M for hiring Sherman). Gotta realize that the only pro coach to succeed in the college ranks after leaving the NFL is Carroll. That I can think of. I don't see visorboy's 6-6 as a stellar mark. Having said that, I'd love Spurrier to be at UA:)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Yikes. That would be interesting. I'd like a young coach.

oldbooniehog

Hey, resume looks good.

To be honest, I think he'd be more exciting that Butch Davis as a hire.

A young "up and comer" who's already been an NFL head guy!!!!!!

Yeah!

Sign 'em up!

obh

Hogtropolis™

That would be a very interesting hire.  If anyone has anything else they know about Kiffin, please post it.  I don't know much about him.

rljjr

Earlier Schad was saying Kiffin really wanted the Nebraska job. Who knows?

LAHOGG

Look for alot of bootleg passes if he comes here.  Thats SoCals bread and butter since ol' pete took over.

oldtimerhog

Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

SpineHog

wow, quite the resume for a guy his age.  i'd take him in a heartbeat.  possibly even over butch.  lord knows he learned how to recruit from his days at USC.

JJ Gittes

Quote from: rljjr on November 26, 2007, 09:05:50 pm
Earlier Schad was saying Kiffin really wanted the Nebraska job. Who knows?

That was Monte, his old man, and the DC at Tampa Bay.  The man behind the cover 2 defense.  Graduated from NU in the 60's and then coached with Devany and Osborne.  Left to come to Arkansas.

lookawayquick

Quick, teach him to call the Hogs!

idiotghos

PORKER1

Yes, but can he build a fence around us? ???

prisonhog

Kiffin would be a good hire. Mike Leach can stay at Texas Tech.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

arkansas razorbacks

Is Kiffin a real possiblilty or is Schad just throwing out names?

Hogtropolis™

Has a coach ever left the NFL before the season was over to come coach at the college ranks?

memphishog

how did that nfl guy from the raiders work out for nebraska?

The_Iceman

Kiffin and Petrino...

both pro possibilities?

Porkahontas

Kiffin to Arkansas has some legs, folks.

Just remember one more thing...Kiffin and Mr. Ed Orgeron both served on Carrolls staff at USC together a few years back. Orgeron is a great DC and a masterful recruiter, too.

He may not be coming but I have strong reason to believe he's a legitimate candidate right now.

Cave City Joe

What a GREAT hire...but is it possible?
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

mossfan33

NOOOOOOOOO..........  i don't want him or his son
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

Cave City Joe

Great hire...but is it possible?
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

jmark

That might be if Frank had his way since Monte was one of Frank's experts.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Cave City Joe

Great hire...but is it possible?

Cave City Joe

Great hire...but is it possible

memphishog

I'm  not against Kiffin, but can he really be judged by his one year as OC at USC. He had Reggie Bush, Lendale White, and Matt Leinart. I could have drwn plays in the sand for those guys their last year at USC.

Head Dahn Hog

It's a longshot, but Kiffin would be a great hire.  If this were to happen, I'd look for him to bring in Orgeron to run the defense.  They coached together at USC for several years.  We all now Orgeron is an outstanding recruiter and has a good defensive mind. 
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!

songofthesword

actually..makes SOME sense.... a big circle. Kiffin to Arkansas. Carroll to Oakland... the Guy that stayed at USC to be the next head coach gets an upgrade.. forgot his name.

my gosh I would piss on myself

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Head Dahn Hog on November 26, 2007, 09:31:31 pm
It's a longshot, but Kiffin would be a great hire.  If this were to happen, I'd look for him to bring in Orgeron to run the defense.  They coached together at USC for several years.  We all now Orgeron is an outstanding recruiter and has a good defensive mind. 
Good point HDH!  From what I hear, Ed O is a great recruiter and also a very good D-coord.  I am getting excited already.  I just hope we get someone good.

Scrubtime

We would have top 5 recruiting classes each year with Kiffin and Orgeron...hmmm, I like the sound of this. How much does kiffin make now???

Scrubtime

We would have top 5 recruiting classes each year with Kiffin and Orgeron...hmmm, I like the sound of this. How much does kiffin make now???

AnthroHog

Quote from: memphishog on November 26, 2007, 09:25:48 pm
how did that nfl guy from the raiders work out for nebraska?

How did that NFL guy from the Patriots work out for USC?

Raiders weren't going to be good this year regardless of coach.

songofthesword

Ed O is one of the best Defensive guys in the business. he just can't head coach worth a damn.

saywhat?

Quote from: songofthesword on November 26, 2007, 09:46:19 pm
actually..makes SOME sense.... a big circle. Kiffin to Arkansas. Carroll to Oakland... the Guy that stayed at USC to be the next head coach gets an upgrade.. forgot his name.

my gosh I would piss on myself

Steve Sarkesian (Spell?)

Erockster20

Sign me up for the Kiffin Train.  Although, I don't see it happening.

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 26, 2007, 09:47:36 pm
Good point HDH!  From what I hear, Ed O is a great recruiter and also a very good D-coord.  I am getting excited already.  I just hope we get someone good.

Somebody tipped me of that this was a rumor making the rounds.  I think it would be a great hire on both parts.  Orgeron obviously couldn't cut it as a head coach, but he's proven to be a great recruiter and assistant coach in the past.  Some coaches just don't translate into the head coaching position, but are excellent assistants.  Reminds me of Stan Heath.

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: Scrubtime on November 26, 2007, 09:49:54 pm

If I remember right, Kiffin is right around the lowest paid coach in the league.  Under a million.

HOGPICKER

If TX Tech can land Mike Sherman, why not?  I'm afraid Long may have Wanny on his short list. 
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

bart.pohlman

Kiffin lived in Fayetteville while his dad was coaching under Lou Holtz. That's his only connection to Arkansas that I know of.

Cresthog

Quote from: HOGPICKER on November 26, 2007, 09:56:05 pm
If TX Tech can land Mike Sherman, why not?  I'm afraid Long may have Wanny on his short list. 

Wanny was forced on Long while he was at Pitt. Big boosters kept him from hiring Pelini.

And Texas Tech did not hire Mike Sherman. They still have a coach...Mike Leach, who is supposedly a top candidate for our opening. Texas A&M hired Sherman.

san1981

Kiffin's contract will pay him $2 million a year for three years, and there are club options for the 2010 and 2011 seasons, according to a team source...........not to bad

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/01/24/RAIDERS.TMP

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: san1981 on November 26, 2007, 10:00:21 pm
Kiffin's contract will pay him $2 million a year for three years, and there are club options for the 2010 and 2011 seasons, according to a team source...........not to bad

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/01/24/RAIDERS.TMP

Wow.  I stand corrected then.   

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: donewithdale on November 26, 2007, 09:55:58 pm
Connection:  Frank & Jerry Jones are very good friends with Al Davis.  Maybe Al wants to unload him.

That's a possibility. 

Al Davis has also been known to be a little meddlesome w/ his coaches from time to time.  Has something in common w/ Broyles there...